ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Couldn’t care. I will never forgive him for jumping over the on sides kick
Mental mistakes, it’s what we do. I sometimes feel the average IQ of our football players is about 70. I’m beginning to feel that way about our basketball players too.

I can still see that play in my mind, and I can't think how that was a simple mental mistake. It was very much like an intentional miscue. Guess we'll never know but I blame him for that loss because he could have so easily sealed the deal.

Reactions: Archer2
I can still see that play in my mind, and I can't think how that was a simple mental mistake. It was very much like an intentional miscue. Guess we'll never know but I blame him for that loss because he could have so easily sealed the deal.
I've wondered the same thing about that play and about a couple dozen on D during the season. That play did look worse than a mental mistake.

If we had players on D doing such things (and in every game, we had some parts of the D clearly not playing the same D calls as others of the D), then we first must ask who would be punished for it if anybody and who would expect to gain from such punishment?

Aaron McLaughlin enters transfer portal. With Leary returning and Finley OK with being #2 another season, it was all but a given that McLaughlin would transfer.

Charlotte native Jacolbe Cowan is in the transfer portal. He signed with Ohio St and redshirted in 2020. He played some last year.

Our DL is now deep. Should UNC go after him?

Charlotte native Jacolbe Cowan is in the transfer portal. He signed with Ohio St and redshirted in 2020. He played some last year.

Our DL is now deep. Should UNC go after him?
I'd have to see film of his rs frosh yr, and I wonder what his rookie season injury was.

At 6'4 275 he probably isn't big enough to be an interior guy, and he isn't a pure edge-rusher. He and Ritzie are probably the same position and they have the same eligibility left. So could he steal reps from the "power end" position manned by Kaimon, Ritzie, Des, Beau Atkinson?

hard to imagine him replacing Duck or Grimes, but could he contend for nickel?

In spring the 2-deep was Deandre Boykin who got very few snaps last yr and Obi Egbuna. Nickel could be an even bigger question-mark than QB or RT or any other position on the team.

Or would him helping at Safety allow Don Chapman to play Nickel? Until JaQuirious comes back it seems there is room for some snaps in the secondary.

Kamarro Edmonds is heading out. There is a lot of RB potential at UNC, so my assumption is that he sees all that and wants an easier time making the 2-deep.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I had a feeling that Cowan might want to be at UNC.
I think he, Kaimon, and Des all have three yrs remaining due to the free covid year? And Ritzie has three yeah? Bit of a logjam, but I like the odds of at least one of those guys developing into a stud.

Reactions: Archer2
I think he, Kaimon, and Des all have three yrs remaining due to the free covid year? And Ritzie has three yeah? Bit of a logjam, but I like the odds of at least one of those guys developing into a stud.
To win the ACC and have a shot at the playoffs, UNC will need a 2nd team Dl that is almost interchangeable with the 1st team DL - and also need at least 2 more guys on the DL who are virtually ready to make the 2 deep.

You cannot overemphasize the need for DL depth.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Fox isn't playing this year due to the suspension, Cowan can come in and get some of those snaps.

Does anyone have an insight if we are looking to take anyone else in the portal?

Random question does anyone know of an athlete entering the portal and deciding to go back to their previous school but get denied by the coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT