ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I dunno about that, but there was talk of him announcing yesterday, then pushed back, so ya never know.
I double checked the NCAA recruiting calendar for basketball. Copied and pasted the info. It's currently a dead period. Patiently waiting for Trimborunc86 to explain himself.

I double checked the NCAA recruiting calendar for basketball. Copied and pasted the info. It's currently a dead period. Patiently waiting for Trimborunc86 to explain himself.
One of the recruiting guys tweeted it today. I’ll try to find the tweet. Trust me I don’t have imagination to make stuff up and randomly post it lol

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Guess the NIL at VT must have been better than that of VCU? Guess the GF was not that much of a factor after all?
If you can play in the ACC, why play at VCU? The GF could transfer if he really wants her that close.

If you can play in the ACC, why play at VCU? The GF could transfer if he really wants her that close.
Not so sure he displayed anything which would say he could play in the ACC? Now you may counter that he did not get an opportunity, which could be true. But in all honestly, and fairness to Nickels, he was not ready. Maybe by his junior year he could be a pretty good player, but who's to say that he may end up being buried on the VT bench next year?

Think I would shuffle those words a bit to say, "Nickel can shoot if given the chance to play"...
He wasn't an elite shooter in high school. He feasted on 2pointers and got to the free throw line a lot, against smaller players in Virginia's 1A class. I'm not sure where UNC fans got the idea Nickel was an elite shooter.

Reactions: OldSchoo01
He wasn't an elite shooter in high school. He feasted on 2pointers and got to the free throw line a lot, against smaller players in Virginia's 1A class. I'm not sure where UNC fans got the idea Nickel was an elite shooter.
He's an intriguing player to me and I would've liked to see what he could become here. Plus, I like a little bit of cockiness and edge. I think that's something UNC sometimes lacks. That can bad though when Caleb would talk trash while being in midst of shooting 5/17. But I like the edge and thought Nickel was an interesting prospect.

His highlight tape made it seem like he shot 80% from corner 3's, lol.

Has it been settled on why he left?
- Becoming a dad?
- Hubert sucks?
- Anything else?

So why did HD recruit him and offer a schollie to a school like UNC.

Reactions: Archer2
Not so sure he displayed anything which would say he could play in the ACC? Now you may counter that he did not get an opportunity, which could be true. But in all honestly, and fairness to Nickels, he was not ready. Maybe by his junior year he could be a pretty good player, but who's to say that he may end up being buried on the VT bench next year?
He can absolutely play in the ACC. Not sure what the point is in devaluing him.

He came in seeming like a guy who could be a productive piece down the line, not a step in ready guy. Not sure how he morphed into a "why isn't he on the court" guy.

Good luck to him, he likes the fit at VA. Tech better at this point. That is what the portal is for.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Shot 41% from 3 as a senior and 43% from 3 as a junior.

His highlight tape made it seem like he shot 80% from corner 3's, lol.

Has it been settled on why he left?
- Becoming a dad?
- Hubert sucks?
- Anything else?
I was always a bit concerned that he seemed so confident, despite the lack of a high ranking. Seems like the type to overrate himself and not understand why a coach wouldn't play him more no matter how justified (that's how I was as a player lol). Not sure you want developmental players like that. It seems to have played out that way where he wasn't ready to hear that he wasn't good enough for major minutes.

Hope VT is a good fit for him! We need more good ACC basketball.

I was always a bit concerned that he seemed so confident, despite the lack of a high ranking. Seems like the type to overrate himself and not understand why a coach wouldn't play him more no matter how justified (that's how I was as a player lol). Not sure you want developmental players like that. It seems to have played out that way where he wasn't ready to hear that he wasn't good enough for major minutes.

Hope VT is a good fit for him! We need more good ACC basketball.

I agree. It’s called big-fish-small-pond syndrome. He was the man…on his level, which obviously isn’t the level some guys have experience on. He always needed to go somewhere that provided a lot of minutes pretty quickly for him to be content. Guys that play amongst other very talented and highly ranked players throughout their youth have had to accept taking a back seat at times and to find ways to “get in where they fit in.” Nickel’s shooting percentages in AAU ball were significantly lower (10%?) than his high school numbers, which is evidence that his competition in high school ball wasn’t very good and his role on each team was very different. He was not going to be happy as a “developmental” player.

With that said, I’m not saying he couldn’t have balled out last year somewhere. Just wasn’t going to be for us. He may kill it at VT. Or he may be a dud. I happen to think it’ll be somewhere in between; a streaky shooter, momentum changer, hustle guy, crowd favorite who by his senior year is a double digit scorer on fairly inefficient numbers. Not all conference. But what do I know?

Oh, I know I wish we had landed Whitmore instead. We wouldn’t be discussing Nickel and our season might have gone differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT