NC State - 3
UNC - 6
Notre Dame - 4
Pitt - 1
Syracuse - 3
Virginia - 2
Va Tech - 2
Wake - 3

Ian Jackson is once again talking about reclassifying. Said he's supposed to be taking classes. So maybe we just focus on forwards in the portal?

• Love
Reactions: OldSchoo01
6'5 200 - Paxson Wojcik
6'4 210 - Justin Moore
6'4 205 - Nicholas Timberlake
6'6 200 - Dalton Knecht

Five questions:

1. We already have Wojcik. How many more on that list can we or should we take (and who)?

2. At what point might we lose another player or 2 to the portal if we take more on this list?

3. I thought we needed front line guys.

5. Are any of those guys really SFs? I mean, sure, we can put them there, but is that where they belong? Knecht looks reasonable, but is 3" shorter than Leaky, 2" shorter than Puff.

4. Does anyone else worry about us getting shorter? Then again, 3 of the Final Four teams were pretty short so maybe that doesn't matter.
I'm wondering the same thing. At the moment we have five guards:

Davis, Trimble, Dunn, Wilcher, Wojcik (Wojcik and Dunn could probably play 3 in spots)

We still seem to be recruiting more guards; the only plausible read I can have on that is Hubert doesn't have a ton of confidence that Dunn/Trimble can take a leap forward next year. Otherwise I'm not sure what we're doing. I think I agree with him. In that case, yes, I think we risk one/both of them leaving, and that is just the reality to try to be a top team next year.

Personally, I think it is extremely likely Cadeau is coming here next year. It just makes sense on every level: very old for his class, very highly skilled, has said he wants to get to the NBA quickly, lots of experience against older players, and just won the HS natty so has nothing left to prove on that level. I'd pencil him in too.

I think Timberlake was interested in committing, but both sides may have become hesitant because we're adding Cadeau and another wing. It's getting crowded.

I looked at Timberlake + Wojcik's stats compared to Joey Calcettera, since he's doing well at UConn as a bench shooter after four years at San Diego. Surprisingly they came out pretty well, especially Wojcik (caveat that WCC is a bit better league, particularly than the CAA). Wojcik has a much higher 2-pt %, better rebounding, and more assists per 40. The only hole is his free throws. Timberlake was pretty similar.

If I had to guess I think we have Davis/Cadeau/Transfer as starters at the 1-3, with Wilcher/Wojcik as backups. I don't see how Timberlake fits in, a bit skeptical given his lack of contributions outside of shooting. That's five guards and potentially Trimble/Dunn in the mix too.

That's 6-7 scholarships, and you have 3 in Bacot/Wash/High. So you've still got at least 3 open spots for other wings/bigs.

Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing. At the moment we have five guards:

Davis, Trimble, Dunn, Wilcher, Wojcik (Wojcik and Dunn could probably play 3 in spots)

We still seem to be recruiting more guards; the only plausible read I can have on that is Hubert doesn't have a ton of confidence that Dunn/Trimble can take a leap forward next year. Otherwise I'm not sure what we're doing. I think I agree with him. In that case, yes, I think we risk one/both of them leaving, and that is just the reality to try to be a top team next year.

Personally, I think it is extremely likely Cadeau is coming here next year. It just makes sense on every level: very old for his class, very highly skilled, has said he wants to get to the NBA quickly, lots of experience against older players, and just won the HS natty so has nothing left to prove on that level. I'd pencil him in too.

I think Timberlake was interested in committing, but both sides may have become hesitant because we're adding Cadeau and another wing. It's getting crowded.

I looked at Timberlake + Wojcik's stats compared to Joey Calcettera, since he's doing well at UConn as a bench shooter after four years at San Diego. Surprisingly they came out pretty well, especially Wojcik (caveat that WCC is a bit better league, particularly than the CAA). Wojcik has a much higher 2-pt %, better rebounding, and more assists per 40. The only hole is his free throws. Timberlake was pretty similar.

If I had to guess I think we have Davis/Cadeau/Transfer as starters at the 1-3, with Wilcher/Wojcik as backups. I don't see how Timberlake fits in, a bit skeptical given his lack of contributions outside of shooting. That's five guards and potentially Trimble/Dunn in the mix too.

That's 6-7 scholarships, and you have 3 in Bacot/Wash/High. So you've still got at least 3 open spots for other wings/bigs.
Hubert may like 3 guard lineups. Lot of 3 guard lineups in this year's elite eight.

Well yes, Dickenson and Bacot can play together but they can't in Hubert's preferred offensive attack, you know Roy would have LOVED both of them on the floor together. Of course, not really worth discussing because it isn't going to happen so there is that.
Maybe we can bring back RW for the '23-'24 season to coach the Hunter/Armando duo. After that it's Hubert and his recruits.

Would be fun to imagine, but I just dont see how it works from a game stand point, hunter wont transfer here to ride the bench, we all know how good Armando is, its not like either of them even resemble a stretch 4. So I dont see why hunter would want to do it. Unless Hubert can sell him on some sort of Two Bigs - 3 Guards lineup , which would be pretty unique to try to defend but would also leave UNC vulnerable on defense as well if a team has a couple 6'5 6'6 playmakers,

Would be fun to imagine, but I just dont see how it works from a game stand point, hunter wont transfer here to ride the bench, we all know how good Armando is, its not like either of them even resemble a stretch 4. So I dont see why hunter would want to do it. Unless Hubert can sell him on some sort of Two Bigs - 3 Guards lineup , which would be pretty unique to try to defend but would also leave UNC vulnerable on defense as well if a team has a couple 6'5 6'6 playmakers,
Hunter can actually shoot a bit (much better than Mondo). Career 36% from three and 75% from the line -- and shot 42% from 3 this year on 57 attempts. I don't see it happening though.

In the portal so far from ACC teams

BC - 4
Clemson - 2
Duke - ?
FSU - 1
Ga Tech - 3
Louisville - 7
Miami - ?
NC State - 3
UNC - 6
Notre Dame - 4
Pitt - 1
Syracuse - 3
Virginia - 2
Va Tech - 2
Wake - 3
Two more just exited Ga Tech.

Meanwhile, Ga Tech added Dowuona from NC State. I thought Dowuona showed promise, but don't think Keatts develops his bigs well. So it will be interesting to see how he does at another school.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We're on their list. But are we on HD's list - or is he on HD's list?

(see what I did there?)
WWJD,

You make some valid points. I'm just throwing out what's out there on the internet.

There are numerous opinions out there about whether or not Dickinson can fit the Heels needs. I'm not smart enough to debate the topic. I'll leave that up to you and the other smart posters on the site.

I will finish with this.

The portal is a world of what's there, not what you always want. We may end up with a team that will be less than ideal. You have to pick what issues you are willing to live with for the coming year.

Moses Wood just committed to Washington.

I'm really puzzled as to who we are going to find to play the stretch 4 role.

Portland's Alden Applewhite (6'7 205 Freshman) has entered the portal.

I mention him because in their loss to us, he played 16 minutes and scored 14 points on 5-8 shooting. Only 30% for the year from deep but, hey, he's a freshman.

He started some games midseason and then didn't. No idea why.

Reactions: Oak ridger
I can't believe it but Will Baker is in the portal. IIRC we offered him but he picked Texas. Wasn't really ready as a frosh and transferred to Nevada - where he seems to have done very well. Because he transferred before the new portal era, he had to sit out a year. Presumably meaning he has 2 years of eligibility left (but maybe not).

I liked this kid when we were interested. IIRC he preferred to play facing the basket, but wasn't afraid to mix it up inside. Shoots about a quarter of his shots from deep.

TS% = 64.5
2p% = 61.7
3p% = 35.5
FT% = 84.2

And, by the way, he's 7'0 245.

Have we called him yet?

I can't believe it but Will Baker is in the portal. IIRC we offered him but he picked Texas. Wasn't really ready as a frosh and transferred to Nevada - where he seems to have done very well. Because he transferred before the new portal era, he had to sit out a year. Presumably meaning he has 2 years of eligibility left (but maybe not).

I liked this kid when we were interested. IIRC he preferred to play facing the basket, but wasn't afraid to mix it up inside. Shoots about a quarter of his shots from deep.

TS% = 64.5
2p% = 61.7
3p% = 35.5
FT% = 84.2

And, by the way, he's 7'0 245.

Have we called him yet?
He might be too good to be a backup?

Moses Wood just committed to Washington.

I'm really puzzled as to who we are going to find to play the stretch 4 role.
Hopefully someone not in the portal yet. Don't think there are many high end options at the moment. Wood probably would've been a hard get coming from so far away. I assume he wants to stay in the PNW, and Washington is a great school/location.

Will Baker is a Center, not a stretch 4. He'd be a worse fit at the 4 than Pete Nance with a back injury. He can't defend the perimeter at all. He rarely shoots jumpers.
No he's not a stretch 4. So what?

If Armando and Baker each play 30mpg they shouldn't be on the floor together much more than 20 minutes. Even less if Washington can handle more minutes. If they play 25mpg each, that cuts the overlap to 10 minutes.

When he's playing with Armando, he can be the one who faces the basket, and he can take his 2 3pt shots per game when in that mode. When he's playing with Washington, Washington can be the one who plays facing the basket.

Now if your objection is that Hubert doesn't want a basket-facing 5 who can hit the occasional 3 to keep the D honest, you may be right. It's not the direction he seems to want to go. But would he really turn down that talent just because he isn't Roy Williams?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

If Armando and Baker each play 30mpg they shouldn't be on the floor together much more than 20 minutes. Even less if Washington can handle more minutes. If they play 25mpg each, that cuts the overlap to 10 minutes.

When he's playing with Armando, he can be the one who faces the basket, and he can take his 2 3pt shots per game when in that mode. When he's playing with Washington, Washington can be the one who plays facing the basket.

Now if your objection is that Hubert doesn't want a basket-facing 5 who can hit the occasional 3 to keep the D honest, you may be right. It's not the direction he seems to want to go. But would he really turn down that talent just because he isn't Roy Williams?
1. Who guards the opposing stretch 4? Because Bacot can't, Baker can't, and Washington can't.

2. We need a stretch 4 who actually spaces the floor by drawing his defender out. He needs to be a knock down 3pt shooter capable of taking his man off the dribble.

You don't seem to grasp what we're trying to do here. Playing 2 Centers on the floor is not going to work.

Neither Bacot nor Baker can guard perimeter players, which is a lot of fours. For many games they'd be able to survive zero minutes together defensively. And Washington can't guard fours either, plus has no proven three point ability. Any of these three playing together for any significant minutes is probably a disaster IMO.

I also don't know what to say about your supposition that Bacot might only get 25 minutes next year. Have you seen Hubert's sub patterns? He's playing 33-35.

Reactions: DaveChapelle
With Abmas, Cryer, and Dickinson we're starting to have a bunch of really good 6 footers and 7 footers enter the portal. Unfortunately those are the two spots we don't need lol.

Now where are those 6-7, 6-8 wings?! Come on into the portal!!

I really don't like the transfer era.. Sitting here hoping for other teams scraps and cast-offs. Wish we were still in the era of developing good 3 and 4 year players and not having to worry about them leave for the greener grass every year.
I know what you mean, and definitely agree about the 3-4 year players. That was when Roy really stood out as a recruiter. He wouldn't usually get the ready-to-play stars like K or Calipari, but he got a fair share of talented guys who knew they needed work and were willing to stick around and be coached. Throw in the occasional OAD and that makes for some fine seasons and even the occasional championship.

On the other hand, the portal era is making this otherwise dull period interesting. Maybe interesting in the "Chinese curse" sense, but still interesting. So since we can't have the 3-4 year era back (as far as I can tell), this new age has it's own appeal.

I know what you mean, and definitely agree about the 3-4 year players. That was when Roy really stood out as a recruiter. He wouldn't usually get the ready-to-play stars like K or Calipari, but he got a fair share of talented guys who knew they needed work and were willing to stick around and be coached. Throw in the occasional OAD and that makes for some fine seasons and even the occasional championship.

On the other hand, the portal era is making this otherwise dull period interesting. Maybe interesting in the "Chinese curse" sense, but still interesting. So since we can't have the 3-4 year era back (as far as I can tell), this new age has it's own appeal.
I’m glad it’s appealing to someone. I’ve actually studied and paid less attention, but to each his own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT