ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

His family knows Tommy well. If they initiate, it ain't tampering.
My understanding is it's tampering for any coaching staff to recruit a player who isn't yet in the portal. But it doesn't matter, bc the NCAA isn't looking into it. Tons of back channel recruiting and NIL promises bring made that is technically against NCAA rules but will not be enforced.

My understanding is it's tampering for any coaching staff to recruit a player who isn't yet in the portal. But it doesn't matter, bc the NCAA isn't looking into it. Tons of back channel recruiting and NIL promises bring made that is technically against NCAA rules but will not be enforced.
The trigger is who initiates... but you're right, the enforcement has been a joke even when actual tampering is apparent.

I believe that would be the thought process if we grab him.
Do you see Ingram as a plus defender? I know he has more creation ability than Nance and especially Leaky, but he is similar in the mediocre shooting and lack of high-end quickness/speed. He's stronger than both. If he can defend, pass, create, and passably shoot then I understand the take, but we need the 3 to be a shooter.

This is correct. So they talk via a third party and not directly. It's a loophole in the portal that I hope we aren't taking part in.

Louisville's PG El Ellis entered the portal. I didn't pay much attention to Lvl, but he looked pretty good. I wonder how he'd do on a good team?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
All I know is a lot of teams are after him. Dook, who is loaded with forwards next season, is after him. Miami is after him. GT, Wake, ND, Arizona, Arkansas, etc...

This is correct. So they talk via a third party and not directly. It's a loophole in the portal that I hope we aren't taking part in.
We are absolutely taking part in it, and it's not against the rules anyways. This pearl clutching is pretty humorous. As though talking to someone about transferring schools is some kind of immoral affront. Sheesh.

Do you do interviews before you publicly announce to your employer you're leaving? Same as what these guys are doing.

4th or 5th best conference?

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Why? It is not illegal.
It's not how it is intended to work. It's just taking advantage of a rule. It's like, "we didn't pay Zion and Bagley money to come here... a shoe company just happened to make their family rich all the sudden after they came here. *wink*"

There is supposed to be zero communication between schools and athletes until they enter the portal and their contact information is made available. This is supposed to be this way so people entering the portal are entering because they want to leave their school regardless of outside influences, then find the proper fit once they have already decided to leave. You are not supposed to be looking for a better deal or such behind the scenes and if you do then entering the transfer portal. The portal was not intended for this usage.

Using third parties and stuff to indirectly communicate is no different than using bagmen and such for paying athletes indirectly. Honestly they need to revamp the entire portal system. It's so broken. Ncaa has lost all ability to control the sport and most the top coaches have fled college basketball due to it.

We are absolutely taking part in it, and it's not against the rules anyways. This pearl clutching is pretty humorous. As though talking to someone about transferring schools is some kind of immoral affront. Sheesh.

Do you do interviews before you publicly announce to your employer you're leaving? Same as what these guys are doing.
Then you should be arguing that tampering shouldn't exist and schools should be allowed to outright have contact to athletes at anytime.

I mean, can you get recruited for jobs while working another job? Can you do interviews for other jobs while working yours? This is your analogy and these are examples of direct contact. So, you support a complete removal of all tampering and outright contact at all times directly between teams. It's okay to have this opinion.

You can leave your job at any time for another job. During the busiest season, just leave for another job right? Heck. You don't need 2 week notice with your job right? Just so it instantly. Heck, just stop showing up until they realize you stopped coming and be at the other job the whole time. I suppose you support that right? Play one day for UNC, another day for say Duke? Day to day who cares, it's just like a job.

Your analogy is bad and doesn't make sense if you properly applied it completely to fruition. You also are comparing the athletes to workers, which opens up another bag of worms.

There are rules against tampering. This is a loophole around the rules to do what the tampering rules are supposed to be there to stop. You should either support removing all tampering rules or support strengthening them to prevent what is happening now. The NCAA simply has zero bite and the athletics is too large to enforce it. It's another sadly reason that the top leagues will probably eventually break away and form their own division...

There has been mention of Jackson taking summer classes, which doesn't prove but would be consistent with reclassifying.

Is Cadeau taking classes?

In some thread recently it was mentioned that Cadeau and Jackson want to play together. Is that true? If so, are we likely to get both or neither, rather than one of them?

If Jackson does reclass, who gets more PT, Wilcher or Jackson?

The trigger is who initiates
That makes sense. Then again, it would be really hard to prove otherwise if the kid/parents are happy with the new school and said they reached out to the school first.

Is Coach Rob still with AZ? I doubt any of us want to think that he'd be involved in rule-breaking.

Sure. But as the employer, if I find you’re doing interviews with other companies, I may save you the trouble and tell you to beat it. How committed an employee are you if you’re out looking for a better deal? Not the kind of worker I want.

This is exactly what the detractors of NIL and the transfer portal predicted.

Reactions: Grayhead
What could stop tampering and portal guys is sadly where this may be leading, it will be contracts like pro sports. Sign them to multi-year scholarships vs. the one year renewals. That would/could come with NIL perks and other things. It's sad that college sports like we grew up watching aren't returning.

What could stop tampering and portal guys is sadly where this may be leading, it will be contracts like pro sports. Sign them to multi-year scholarships vs. the one year renewals. That would/could come with NIL perks and other things. It's sad that college sports like we grew up watching aren't returning.
If that happens, will open up something else missing from the college games: TRADES.

"I'll trade you Nance and Styles and a future recruit for Hunter Tyson."

I mean it isn't your daddy's college game any more so why not go all the way?

Yeah. I can't wait to see if the athlete applies to the Big Ten League or SEC League for consideration. We have the 8th pick this year in the Big Ten League so I hope we can get that good PG prospect from North Carolina at that position in the draft.

It's not how it is intended to work. It's just taking advantage of a rule. It's like, "we didn't pay Zion and Bagley money to come here... a shoe company just happened to make their family rich all the sudden after they came here. *wink*"

There is supposed to be zero communication between schools and athletes until they enter the portal and their contact information is made available. This is supposed to be this way so people entering the portal are entering because they want to leave their school regardless of outside influences, then find the proper fit once they have already decided to leave. You are not supposed to be looking for a better deal or such behind the scenes and if you do then entering the transfer portal. The portal was not intended for this usage.

Using third parties and stuff to indirectly communicate is no different than using bagmen and such for paying athletes indirectly. Honestly they need to revamp the entire portal system. It's so broken. Ncaa has lost all ability to control the sport and most the top coaches have fled college basketball due to it.
Look, that may be the spirit of the rule, but it is by no means the letter. Comparing that to a "bagman" iis just jumping the shark.

Fact is, the NCAA under that jackwipe Emmert let this NIL and transfer thing get the best of them and now it's a mess. And yes, there are programs who literally contact players via back channels DURING THE SEASON. THAT is tampering (something Boeheim called out some teams for). We don't do that, nor should we.

With that said, I know of more than one player whose camps reached out to UNC after this season, but well BEFORE they officially entered the portal. No rules were broken, so what were we supposed to do?... hang up on them? Ya snooze, ya lose.

Look, I totally agree that the "system" is f***ed up, and also feel for the coaches who tired of dealling with it, and maybe the new NCAA head can clean some of it up, but right now, it is what it is.

There has been mention of Jackson taking summer classes, which doesn't prove but would be consistent with reclassifying.

Is Cadeau taking classes?

In some thread recently it was mentioned that Cadeau and Jackson want to play together. Is that true? If so, are we likely to get both or neither, rather than one of them?

If Jackson does reclass, who gets more PT, Wilcher or Jackson?
Cadeau is set either way. Jackson has some work to do if he wants to reclass.

Will Baker is a Center, not a stretch 4. He'd be a worse fit at the 4 than Pete Nance with a back injury. He can't defend the perimeter at all. He rarely shoots jumpers.
@andrew jones disagrees. To be fair, he's thinking of Baker playing in a backup role, but if he's getting starter minutes, does it matter to Baker?

He's also an intriguing addition in that he could let Armando play fewer minutes. Not killing Armando with too many minutes is another point made in the podcast. Not to mention Baker being a perfect sub if Armando is in foul trouble or hurt.

Last edited:
Cadeau is set either way. Jackson has some work to do if he wants to reclass.
Is Cadeau just waiting for Jackson before he decides, or is the decision already made? Which is to say, if Jackson succeeds in his classes, do both come early?

Look, that may be the spirit of the rule, but it is by no means the letter. Comparing that to a "bagman" iis just jumping the shark.

Fact is, the NCAA under that jackwipe Emmert let this NIL and transfer thing get the best of them and now it's a mess. And yes, there are programs who literally contact players via back channels DURING THE SEASON. THAT is tampering (something Boeheim called out some teams for). We don't do that, nor should we.

With that said, I know of more than one player whose camps reached out to UNC after this season, but well BEFORE they officially entered the portal. No rules were broken, so what were we supposed to do?... hang up on them? Ya snooze, ya lose.

Look, I totally agree that the "system" is f***ed up, and also feel for the coaches who tired of dealling with it, and maybe the new NCAA head can clean some of it up, but right now, it is what it is.
It was so hard for the NCAA to police things before the transfer portal and NIL. With that being said this new era is going to be near to impossible to regulate now. Can’t put it back in the box now. They can try and add laws, rules and regulations to both of them but even that is going to be quite difficult to achieve. It is a total mess

It was so hard for the NCAA to police things before the transfer portal and NIL....
that is an understatement. in fact, the ncaa's failure to enforce rules and their selective enforcement was an epic failure. they needed a scapegoat -- a school to clobber mercilessly to give an impression of tough enforcement. we all know who that was.

Reactions: Heels5150
Has the Dalton Knecht boat also sailed? When AJ was talking about getting more 3s to fit the 3-guard scheme, that's who came to mind.

If we could get Knecht OR Ingram, who's the better choice?

Or BOTH?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT