ADVERTISEMENT

Very brief stuff (State game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and you could make a lot of money betting on Roy Williams vs State.

There's never been much doubt that Roy's State-hate gets conveyed to the team, and truth be known, along with State's own ineptitude in critical areas, that intensity won this one.

The good:
- The first place that showed was playing hard, and the guys definitely played hard. Keatts teams are gonna claw and grab and climb your backs on rebounds, and one place we did a good job consistently was fighting back. We gave as good as we got and that in itself was a difference-maker.

- The second place that showed was not getting slump-shouldered when we made bad decision after bad decision :eek: that kept letting them back into the game. The fact that we psychologically weathered onslaughts of State pressure (+ our own ineptitude), yet never let them take the lead was HUGE in the competitive flow of this one. Keatts teams have a bully mentality and bullies don't fare well when you don't back down.

- The fact we outrebounded them by 18 speaks to the theme above.

- I might start calling Kenny Williams "The Cleaner" (or Kleaner?;)). Time after time he made unsung big plays, cleaning up messes (which I don't choose to go into tonight) and cleaned the glass when we couldn't seem to secure the ball. We had three guys with double-doubles and Kenny's 10 boards all seemed to come at key times.

- Cam joined Luke and KW in the double-double train, and I was hoping he either just banged knees or got cramps and (phew!) it appears to have been the latter.

The bad:
- I'm not gonna spend much time with this part (because it'll make my head hurt, plus I need to hit the hay early tonight ;)), but beyond the obvious (Turnovers!) we just can't seem to gather a "situational awareness", for lack of a better term. For example, State likes to run risky up/down switches and as a result we were getting constant mismatches... but other than a couple of set plays, we just didn't recognize and take advantage, and even in Freelance you need to be able to do that. One glaring example in the first half had Luke iso-ed in the paint with little Beverly on his back and no help in sight. Do we get him the rock? Sigh...

- Defensively we played hard, but... when are we gonna stop the ball off the dribble in transition?... and even the slightest screens are still easily freeing up dribble penetration.

- We have GOT to get Nas on the blocks and get him the rock where he can do work

- We do have to credit State with helping our cause, missing key fornt-ends at the line, and other than Beverly, were laying bricks on often open 3s. Conversely, making shots cures a lot, and those 10 3-bombs we nailed on 40% shooting kept the woofies at bay.

Anyway, that's all for me tonight. Grabbing a W over in hillbilly hell is always sweet, particularly this season where State has actually looked dangerous. Make no mistake, we need to get better at a lotta things, but pretty or not, 2-0 in the ACC with both wins coming on the road? Can't sneeze at that!...:cool:

...and you could make a lot of money betting on Roy Williams vs State.
The bad:
- I'm not gonna spend much time with this part (because it'll make my head hurt, plus I need to hit the hay early tonight ;)), but beyond the obvious (Turnovers!) we just can't seem to gather a "situational awareness", for lack of a better term. .
If we could get the TO's to 10 or less a game we would avg 100pts.
Our offense is potent even with the high TO rate.

The "unforced" TO's tonight had me saying things I wouldn't normally say.
Our decision making is unreal at times.
7th Woods has looked awful the last few games, and I'm a fan of the kid.

1. It’s strange that we can beat a team ranked 15th in the country on their home floor, and yet it still feel like there is something missing. I guess I am just not used to this many lackadaisical turnovers.
2. Incredible foul shooting and a huge rebounding advantage were the key stats in my opinion.
3. Brooks has had two great back to back games, and Kenny really came through on rebounding and with big plays as noted. Maye seems to channel Roy’s hate vs. State; I know those hillbillies hate all UNC players, but I have to think they especially hate Luke who always gives their bigs fits. I just wish he had stuck with giving them fits instead of also giving them the ball (7 TO’s). Coby needs to trim turnovers as well, but he handled a lot of pressure tonight, scored big buckets, and proved his worth by the fact everytime he went out we struggled, and everytime he came in we seemed to gain control of the game.
4. I’m grateful Cam just had a cramp; he has been incredible the last few weeks and is a key piece for stretching the defense. The improved driving dimension he has been using lately is making him even more dangerous and difficult to scout.

My other thoughts have already been touched on by others, so I will keep it at that. Stealing brownies is always fun, but doubly so from Moo U!

Last edited:
Coach William's insistence of pushing the ball up the floor fast will continue to lead to high turnovers because of no "true" point guard on the roster. We haven't gotten a true point guard to come to Carolina since Joel Berry. Woods,Felton and White are all combo gurards. Hopefully Cole Anthony will change all that.

Reactions: gary-7
The turnovers they are making are coming in their half court sets as well. The spacing sucks and the other issue is the cuts arent necessarily hard/crisp.

Black is going to be a problem. Roy needs to use the kid. He is 6-8 and was being guarded by a midget at times or another player who was about 4 inches shorter. We should be isolating him on one side of the floor in those instances.

Turnovers are horrible. '17 and '09 teams averaged 12 to's per game and '05 averaged '16. This team is averaging 14.5 but that is really through the softer part of schedule. The only thing that saved UNC last night was that so many of the turnovers were just bone-headed passes that LUCKILY went out of bounds or were under the basket so there was limited transition opportunity. I cannot believe that a team starting three seniors can make so many dumb plays.
Dook averages 11 steals and 8 blocks a game. Right now that game is fugly.

As far as the "Roy holds OAD's back" crap goes those people look at a box score and nothing else. Hell Roy is pushing Coby up the draft board every game it seems. Nas looked absolutely lost last night.

Leaky is got to be at least 6-9. That kid is still growing.

2-0 with both wins coming on the road is a great start. I will admit, when Cam Johnson went down my fear was that the season was in jeopardy and was relieved to hear it was just cramping.

Some good summaries and posts here folks. I was there at the game and was surrounded by State fans who were foaming at the mouth for their team to take this one from us. Nothing more obnoxious than a inebriated State fan.

We looked so much improved defensively from where we were just several games back. Our effort levels improved also. I have to grade us out at a C
as far as focus is concerned. 23 TO's led to what? 20 points for the peckers.
When grading toughness, you can also include ball security in the definition, so, I still think we lack some toughness in this area along with lacking the needed focus.

Between Coby and Luke, there were 12 of the 23TO's committed. This has to be cleaned up very quickly. While you can more understand Coby's TO rate, Luke is a real TO machine lately. He will hear about this from the staff as well as his teammates as they are made aware of who the TO leaders are since the start of the season. This HAS to be corrected.

Gary, I think you got it right on why we won this game. Our rebounding kept us moving out in front all night. The tension around me was palpable, as the crowd I was in groaned and cursed every time they had a chance
to tie or take the lead and our guys would not let them. Heard one jerk say he hoped Cam broke his leg, and another wish that Coby would follow suit.
The peckers hate us with an unusual passion.

While we were not clicking on all cylinders, we did manage to beat a fairly good team. If we can make a few adjustments in some areas we are going to be much better. Three players w/ double doubles was great to see. I agree with Roy that Garrison played the best defensive game of this year.

As a side note, does Keats (sp) wear make up? He sure looked like he had been powdered up when he came out to their bench area.

Two things with Nas.
1. Nas has to command the ball in the post and not just build a house out on the wing.
2. Roy has to start running plays for said player in the post because they are not going to look for him at a rate that gets him involved. I see Nas getting passed over for looks a lot. That can't help his confidence.
3. Ok three things. Nas has to run the floor more. I see him going half speed in transition a lot. Running the floor in transition and getting into the lane is where the honey is.

Reactions: jah420
Thanks for the update, Gary. I missed the game, so it's nice to get some good information here. Like someone said above, 2-0 to start the ACC season is great, especially since both wins came on the road. I'm also relieved Cam's injury isn't serious. He's probably been our MVP so far this season.

Two things with Nas.
1. Nas has to command the ball in the post and not just build a house out on the wing.
2. Roy has to start running plays for said player in the post because they are not going to look for him at a rate that gets him involved. I see Nas getting passed over for looks a lot. That can't help his confidence.
3. Ok three things. Nas has to run the floor more. I see him going half speed in transition a lot. Running the floor in transition and getting into the lane is where the honey is.
100% agree on all 3 points. Nothing magical is going to happen with him just loitering around the perimeter then jacking up a guarded midrange. That can't be his game.

Reactions: jah420
Luke is a real TO machine lately. He will hear about this from the staff as well as his teammates as they are made aware of who the TO leaders are since the start of the season. This HAS to be corrected.

I agree that Luke does a ton of good things for us including last night, but 7 TOs from one guy, let alone not a primary ball handler or passer is unacceptable. This HAS to be his focus, he HAS to get better.

I love Adam Lucas's articles, but it bugs me when he selectively lists Luke's good parts of stat line, but disregards his 7 TOs. In a closer game, that could've been what cost us the game. He shouldn't get a pass for that sloppy careless play. I think possibly twice he stepped out of bounds or dribbled out of bounds on a move toward the basket. That seems very correctable.

As a side note, does Keats (sp) wear make up? He sure looked like he had been powdered up when he came out to their bench area.

'75 I thought the same thing. His shade of lipstick was subtle, perhaps he got it out of the animal husbandry department. His foundation was flawless though. :eek::confused:

I felt like I needed sun glasses to see him in that bright red suit. That thing was loud.

Reactions: gary-7
Some good summaries and posts here folks. I was there at the game and was surrounded by State fans who were foaming at the mouth for their team to take this one from us. Nothing more obnoxious than a inebriated State fan.

We looked so much improved defensively from where we were just several games back. Our effort levels improved also. I have to grade us out at a C
as far as focus is concerned. 23 TO's led to what? 20 points for the peckers.
When grading toughness, you can also include ball security in the definition, so, I still think we lack some toughness in this area along with lacking the needed focus.

Between Coby and Luke, there were 12 of the 23TO's committed. This has to be cleaned up very quickly. While you can more understand Coby's TO rate, Luke is a real TO machine lately. He will hear about this from the staff as well as his teammates as they are made aware of who the TO leaders are since the start of the season. This HAS to be corrected.

Gary, I think you got it right on why we won this game. Our rebounding kept us moving out in front all night. The tension around me was palpable, as the crowd I was in groaned and cursed every time they had a chance
to tie or take the lead and our guys would not let them. Heard one jerk say he hoped Cam broke his leg, and another wish that Coby would follow suit.
The peckers hate us with an unusual passion.

While we were not clicking on all cylinders, we did manage to beat a fairly good team. If we can make a few adjustments in some areas we are going to be much better. Three players w/ double doubles was great to see. I agree with Roy that Garrison played the best defensive game of this year.

Good report from inside the bowels, as it were, 75... hope you didn't get any on ya!

Regarding the state game it reminded of how strong a rivalry this was when I was a kid. Duke was basically a win most seasons until I got to be a teenager... State was always the team that we love to hate. I do have to give the fans credit as there were so many calls in the game where I felt they were going to go crazy booing because it didn't go their way... I was surprised that the fans seem to show a modicum of decorum which is not something I would ever expect from the evil blues or a few other teams we play with regularity. I guess when you haven't been relevant in several decades the expectations of the fan base tend to become more realistic.
I am just glad that Roy didn't have to sell out and agree to wear an atrocious UNC themed sportsjacket for every game like Keatts has to for State. For whatever reason he annoyed me more last night than State player on the court or any fan in the stands. That being said I realize many of the players are transfers as such are not exactly State at heart yet so I'm sure they will annoy me more in the years to come.

Good report from inside the bowels, as it were, 75... hope you didn't get any on ya!

I'm amazed that those idiots around me didn't soak me down with their liquid libations. I saw 5 different guys and 1 lady go to their secret places and re-up on their drinks.

Something of note last night: Roy pulled Nas late for Leaky ( ball handler) and coach Rob had a long discussion with him. Look, I was there, and if ever there was a deer in the headlights look, he had it. His one on one moves are really hesitant and are ill timed at the present. He is finding out that what he did in HS won't work at this level.

I have heard that we are going to work him in down on the block and let him figure it out from there going forward. He is very confused while in and it's going to take him getting fed up with not contributing like he knows he can, and will just do what he knows how best to do, and that is work from inside out. He can be a devastating driver, but he still has not learned to pick the correct spots from the perimeter.

The light may or may not come on for him offensively the entire season. I personal think it will. His defense has improved, but not exponentially. He's just a wonderful talent that can't seem to figure out how best to display it yet.

I've seen this happen to more than a few over the years, so I don't get too worked up about it. Sooner or later, he's going to tear it up in a game and the hesitancy on both sides of the ball will fade away. We all should applaud the improvements of others on the team such as BRob, Leaky, & Garrison. All had great contributions to this win.

Last edited:
I'm amazed that those idiots around me didn't soak me down with their liquid libations. I saw 5 different guys and 1 lady go to their secret places and re-up on their drinks.

Something of note last night: Roy pulled Nas late for Leaky ( ball handler) and coach Rob had a long discussion with him. Look, I was there, and if ever there was a dear in the headlights look, he had it. His one on one moves are really hesitant and are ill timed at the present. He is finding out that what he did in HS won't work at this level.

I have heard that we are going to work him in down on the block and let him figure it out from there going forward. He is very confused while in and it's going to take him getting fed up with not contributing like he knows he can, and will just do what he knows how best to do, and that is work from inside out. He can be a devastating driver, but he still has not learned to pick the correct spots from the perimeter.

The light may or may not come on for him offensively the entire season. I personal think it will. His defense has improved, but not exponentially. He's just a wonderful talent that can't seem to figure out how best to display it yet.

I've seen this happen to more than a few over the years, so I don't get too worked up about it. Sooner or later, he's going to tear it up in a game and the hesitancy on both sides of the ball will fade away. We all should applaud the improvements of others on the team such as BRob, Leaky, & Garrison. All had great contributions to this win.
Yep. As I said in the OP, Nas needs to be on the blocks (hopefully with enough spacing to actually get him the rock), and let his game develop inside-out.

Tell me not, it always feels really good to beat State and last night is was sweet indeed!! I don’t like State at all, but I am starting to think that they must have very, very good Brownies because Roy and our Heels certainly enjoy going in there, stealing them and taking them back to Chapel Hill to celebrate!

I think our guys really showed a lot about themselves tonight by coming together and being able to finish things off while not having Cam on the floor for those last 12 minutes (Thank God it was only cramps). Another big aspect I thought to our win, in addition to us dominating on the boards (+18!!) as said above was how we converted at the FT line- 22/26 for the game and 9/10 under 6 minutes.

Seniors (ALL 3 finished with double/doubles!): Just as against Pitt having Cam’s experience continues to help us as he comes out ready to go, settles us down early and always contribute with a timely bucket. I thought he was a big force in helping us to set the tone early. His rebounding certainly benefited us too. I thought Kenny really stepped up for us tonight-giving us some early offense, being a vocal leader on the floor and keeping our guys together late in the game while also contributing with some big boy rebounds soaring in from the wing, and drawing 3, yes 3 charges!!! I 100% agree Luke TO’s need to go down and go down fast (as a team too!), I think he is a lot better of a player than to have numbers like that. Besides that, he played a very solid all-around game- 36 minutes-21/11 and 7/8 from the FT was just what the doctor ordered. I thought he did a nice job of letting plays develop and picking his spots for his buckets. He had some nice hi-low action going with Brooks which was good to see to.

Garrison!! I was honestly upset with his play the last few games before him coming into ACC play, but I have to say that he has been very good for us the past two games. I thought he did everything that we could’ve asked for from him last night, he rebounded it, contributed big time defensively, converted 5-5 from the line and once again finished with 5 assists and no turnovers. Nicely done G and some well-deserved praise from Roy!!

Coby White’s a warrior and I love that he’s a Heel. Coming into this one and knowing that State was going to pressure us and force turnovers had me a little worried about how he would handle things, yes, he did turn it over 5 times, but I thought that the fight he played with and the baskets he hit for us when it looked like some possessions weren’t going anywhere really made a difference. I think he is improving on both ends of the ball and I am enjoy watching him bring that fight he has on the floor.

Last edited:
State never lead once during the entire game!

To me, it was HUGE that even though they tied the game a few times and had multiple chances to take the lead, they never did. Had they ever gotten the lead, who knows how the Heels would’ve responded, but we swatted them back every time.

OH HEEL YEA, this was very big and I think that us being able to fight through State's runs, keep playing hard and then finding ways to build our own runs showed a lot about our guys. In a game like that losing the lead and having State's crowd get into it could really make a difference, but our guys didn't allow it!

I thought B-Rob’s corner 3 at the under 16 mark to take a one-point lead to four was a big bucket. And then Leaky’s midrange jumper to take our lead from 70-69 to 72-69 was an even more important basket as it started a 7-0 run. I really liked that play by Leaky-to take on Beverly off the dribble, use his size advantage and rise up right over him for the smooth J. I like his mid-range game and think he is going to be a real force there. Once again nice to see Leaky and B-Rob step up for us when we needed them to with Cam out down the stretch. Both have been key pieces for us in starting the ACC slate off 2-0.

Was glancing at some UNC-State series history this morning, at least since Roy has been back, thought I'd share some of my findings.

This was the first time since Feb. 06 that both teams were ranked at the time of the meeting.

In the last 20 matchups of this series (2010 to now), we have gone 17-3 with an average score of 81.1 PPG to their 70.6

Over the last 5 games in the series, we have scored at least 90 points in each of them (with an average of 96.2 PPG). In Roy's UNC tenure prior to the last 5 games, we had broken 90 in 4 out of the other 28 games against State and none of those others came consecutively, so this run over the past 2.5 years is pretty special, even by Roy's standards against State.

With that said, in the 3 games since Keatts took over at State, they have hit at least 80 each game, and averaged 88.7 against us (we averaged 92.3 in those games). Since 04, State only had 5 games with at least 80 against us prior to Keatts, with none of those games coming consecutively.

So while there is no question Roy has been dominant against State, Keatts has certainly been up to the challenge thus far, at least as much as any coach at State has. So all this is to say, if it's not back to a full-blown rivalry, it's the closest it's been to one in quite some time.

It's been a wild year so far - the inconsistencies are really what is making the team look the way they do.

- 7th is up and down, even within games
- Luke is the same, honestly. Always hustling but wow, misses easy shots and makes tough ones, makes silly bad passes but then makes solid assists, etc.
- BRob is a pleasant surprise especially with his shooting
- Nas.....nuff said already. Good Lord, young man, just stop shooting 3's and post up, hit the boards, use that athleticism.
- KW starting to find his shot to add to his already amazing overall D and effort
- Brooks working hard, would love to see a few more aggressive dunks inside
- Leaky, like many of us, is absolutely becoming a favorite - love that young man's effort
- Cam has been the MVP imo (KW and Coby a close second)

Beating the “mouth breathers” never gets old.

th

Coach William's insistence of pushing the ball up the floor fast will continue to lead to high turnovers because of no "true" point guard on the roster. We haven't gotten a true point guard to come to Carolina since Joel Berry. Woods,Felton and White are all combo gurards. Hopefully Cole Anthony will change all that.
Francis

I want this to be true, but he also gets blocked way more than he should.
That's from being unsure about when to "take" it and starting drives in no-man's land. Let him get in there and mix it up and that strength, athleticism and instinctive finishing ability will shine.

Was glancing at some UNC-State series history this morning, at least since Roy has been back, thought I'd share some of my findings.

This was the first time since Feb. 06 that both teams were ranked at the time of the meeting.

In the last 20 matchups of this series (2010 to now), we have gone 17-3 with an average score of 81.1 PPG to their 70.6

Over the last 5 games in the series, we have scored at least 90 points in each of them (with an average of 96.2 PPG). In Roy's UNC tenure prior to the last 5 games, we had broken 90 in 4 out of the other 28 games against State and none of those others came consecutively, so this run over the past 2.5 years is pretty special, even by Roy's standards against State.

With that said, in the 3 games since Keatts took over at State, they have hit at least 80 each game, and averaged 88.7 against us (we averaged 92.3 in those games). Since 04, State only had 5 games with at least 80 against us prior to Keatts, with none of those games coming consecutively.

So while there is no question Roy has been dominant against State, Keatts has certainly been up to the challenge thus far, at least as much as any coach at State has. So all this is to say, if it's not back to a full-blown rivalry, it's the closest it's been to one in quite some time.
Good stuff heelz. I’ll add this fantastic stat...

At UNC, Roy is 29-4 vs state. That’s 88%. Plus he was 5-0 vs state while at Kansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT