ADVERTISEMENT

What's Going On With The Competition?

wasn't it a rental property?....very easy for zions mom to go to any bank and say, i am zion williamsons mother, i need a couple 100k, we will easily be able to pay you back in a few months time
Unless the bank makes that loan offer available to every dook undergrad it sounds like impermissible benefit, at least that's what Lance Thomas thinks

I don't know if Zion will like being called "property" be careful Mr. Boogie!

AND that would be the very definition of "impermissible benefit"

I don't know if Zion will like being called "property" be careful Mr. Boogie!

AND that would be the very definition of "impermissible benefit"
You just sit and wait for every opportunity to be "offended"! Maybe if you'd spend less time being "woke" and instead practice Reading 101 you'd know that he actually meant rental property. You know, like a house that one person rents to another! I hesitate to call you a dumbass, how about buffoon.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC '92
You just sit and wait for every opportunity to be "offended"! Maybe if you'd spend less time being "woke" and instead practice Reading 101 you'd know that he actually meant rental property. You know, like a house that one person rents to another! I hesitate to call you a dumbass, how about buffoon.

I thought that was clearly sarcasm.

But what do I know, maybe I'm the idiot.

So Michael Durr is backing off Va Tech, reopening his recruitment, 7 footer, wonder if we might take a peek...

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Back to the basket natural 5 and over 7 feet/250...I say go give him a look, Hubs! He averaged 9/8 at S Florida so he can't be expecting to be featured! He has 2 years of eligibility too!

No harm in offering if there is not a mama bear or other person who is gonna speak for him as long as he is not coming expecting to be focal point. Bacot needs another big to go against in practice and provide relief if Hubert (still feels weird typing that) doesn't want to small. UNC needs another serviceable big and each day Baldwin doesn't sign to play for his dad I get more worried he ends up in derm as part of k's farewell tour.

Reactions: Steat and TPFKAPFS
And on a sad note Coach Fran McCaffery ran Connor off into the portal. Fran and the LOM would make a great duo.

Emoni Bates is back in the field of recruits. Not sure we enter that sweepstakes.

Talent like Bates you have to shoot your shot unless.....there is some cloudiness in the waters and you are afraid of sharks! Isn't the G pretty likely for him?

Yeah, TPF, I agree, everything I read says he'll gladly suffer some G league for a year, then NBA.

And sadly Baldwin is playing for Daddy at Milwaukee.

The kids get 100K; 100K for college if they do not go pro; Full insurance; Individualized education including life skills like money management and public speaking, etc; and full disability coverage if they get injured! No brainer for kids who have serious pro potential to me. They received funding from Bezos and other billionaires so peeps do feel it is a good idea. Their financial viability does not depend on ticket sales so .....

This one feels different to me!

Reactions: tarheel0910
The kids get 100K; 100K for college if they do not go pro; Full insurance; Individualized education including life skills like money management and public speaking, etc; and full disability coverage if they get injured! No brainer for kids who have serious pro potential to me. They received funding from Bezos and other billionaires so peeps do feel it is a good idea. Their financial viability does not depend on ticket sales so .....

This one feels different to me!
Of course Bezos and his ilk only want what is best for everyone. That’s obviously how they became billionaires. Hell, let’s start paying them when they’re 10. I say it again, it’s time to do away with college athletic scholarships. Let the kids who want to play sports after high school turn pro. It’s time the tail stopped wagging the dog. Let the universities educate, let the pro leagues create their own farm systems and survive if they can.

Of course Bezos and his ilk only want what is best for everyone. That’s obviously how they became billionaires. Hell, let’s start paying them when they’re 10. I say it again, it’s time to do away with college athletic scholarships. Let the kids who want to play sports after high school turn pro. It’s time the tail stopped wagging the dog. Let the universities educate, let the pro leagues create their own farm systems and survive if they can.

So you want the kids who play NCAA ball to not get any scholarships…? Or do away with college sports as a whole?

So you want the kids who play NCAA ball to not get any scholarships…? Or do away with college sports as a whole?
I think it’s time to do away with college sports, other than intramural sports. The universities have prostituted themselves for the money, with the pimps being pro sports. Pro sports have been using colleges as their farm systems forever and acting completely in their(pro sports’) best interest. Colleges have complied because it generated so much money.

They’ve made a mockery of education by allowing athletes that never would have come close to qualifying otherwise to be admitted. It’s time that universities tightened their belts and remembered how they functioned before college sports became such big business. In my opinion, the tail(sports) is wagging the dog(universities). It’s time for that to stop.

I’m sure many, if not most fans will disagree. They don’t want to see college sports disappear because they love it. So do I and I have for 60 years. But college sports have become dirtier and dirtier and the NIL rule will only make them dirtier. Force pro sports to set up their own farm systems like the G-League to develop talent.

Universities were established to educate. Let them concentrate on that.

ETA: cue the “get off my lawn” remarks.

Last edited:
Let’s not forget that these aren’t your wise ol’ granny’s high schools. These institutions primarily exist to win athletic events with emphasis on b-ball & f-ball. Following the money might really show the depth to which corporate money reaches.

I think it’s time to do away with college sports, other than intramural sports. The universities have prostituted themselves for the money, with the pimps being pro sports. Pro sports have been using colleges as their farm systems forever and acting completely in their(pro sports’) best interest. Colleges have complied because it generated so much money.

They’ve made a mockery of education by allowing athletes that never would have come close to qualifying otherwise to be admitted. It’s time that universities tightened their belts and remembered how they functioned before college sports became such big business. In my opinion, the tail(sports) is wagging the dog(universities). It’s time for that to stop.

I’m sure many, if not most fans will disagree. They don’t want to see college sports disappear because they love it. So do I and I have for 60 years. But college sports have become dirtier and dirtier and the NIL rule will only make them dirtier. Force pro sports to set up their own farm systems like the G-League to develop talent.

Universities were established to educate. Let them concentrate on that.

ETA: cue the “get off my lawn” remarks.
That issue has always been with college athletics, ALWAYS. Knute Rockne was a high school drop out working at the post office before Notre Dame got him in to play football.

There is a good book Stagg's University that does an excellent job chronicling how the University used building a football powerhouse in the over a 100 years ago to build the prestige of their elite educational institution at the Univerdity of Chicago, based off of what the Ivy league schools did. They did so with many who never completed high school as the stars on the gridiron. They then struggled with contradictions that big money big time sports and the monster it became coupled with higher education standards at the University created until they eventually dropped football after many decades and different school presidents with back and forths on the issue.

It has always been an issue, with the growth of profits directly off of the game I doubt many schools voluntarily go U of C or Ivy league route, but they will have to be more transparent with what the athletes are and adapt.

Let the universities educate, let the pro leagues create their own farm systems and survive if they can.
If that were to happen, would you watch the farm games? Would they even be televised? What would happen to boards like this - would they be replaced by farm team boards, or would they die out?

Speaking for myself, I'm not sure there would be enough appeal to keep watching. The University structure provides continuity that has at least something to do with being a fan.

I mean I went to UNC, lived in Chapel Hill, and have been a fan for 50 years. College teams tend to have a lot of player continuity from year to year. I'm not sure the Viceroy Cigarette farm team will earn or keep my interest.

[Anyone else remember Viceroy cigarettes? IIRC, they were released during my undergrad stay at UNC. Tasted sort of like a cross between Marlboro and Winston - which, at that time, were the 2 most popular brands. I still don't know why they didn't catch on.]

Reactions: Archer2
If that were to happen, would you watch the farm games? Would they even be televised? What would happen to boards like this - would they be replaced by farm team boards, or would they die out?

Speaking for myself, I'm not sure there would be enough appeal to keep watching. The University structure provides continuity that has at least something to do with being a fan.

I mean I went to UNC, lived in Chapel Hill, and have been a fan for 50 years. College teams tend to have a lot of player continuity from year to year. I'm not sure the Viceroy Cigarette farm team will earn or keep my interest.

[Anyone else remember Viceroy cigarettes? IIRC, they were released during my undergrad stay at UNC. Tasted sort of like a cross between Marlboro and Winston - which, at that time, were the 2 most popular brands. I still don't know why they didn't catch on.]
DAMN you are old Viceroy cigarettes were released in 1936. Congrats on still being around or do you come out in the sunlight?. If college scholarship sports was ended , just think of all the wasted time on boards etc. that could be put to constructive use(wives would have nothing to nag about) and then get rid of FB and twitter .........

Last edited:
DAMN you are old Viceroy cigarettes were released in 1936. Congrats on still being around or do you come out in the sunlight?. If college scholarship sports was ended , just think of all the wasted time on boards etc. that could be put to constructive use(wives would have nothing to nag about) and then get rid of FB and twitter .........
I didn't realize they were that old. When I moved to CH in the 60s, they were new to me, and I got the impression they had just been released and were being trial marketed in NC, but didn't catch on.

Or maybe I'm confusing them with Bull Durham cigarettes. Now that I think it over, that's probably the case.

Another thing I noticed, being in a tobacco state for the first time, was that the cigarettes always seemed fresh.

No, I probably wouldn’t watch the farm games. So what?! It’s like giving up cigarettes. It’s hard but good for you in the long haul.

I don't see the good in having to give up college bball! But the good news is it isn't going anywhere! There are plenty of peeps wanting to play for a college; college bball will have to evolve and may become either a recognized pro farm system with ties to a U OR a vehicle for those with little to no pro aspirations. OR they may swing back to a system like baseball with a required commitment to a number of years. In any case, I feel like this is just a period of uncomfortable change!

I used to watch not only every UNC game but any game with either ranked teams going at it or any ACC game. That was back in 80's/early 90's when it just seemed you had more really good teams. I would buy all the preseason college basketball mags and go through every page. I'm sure a lot is just me getting older but the game is just not as entertaining. Either iso ball or jacking up 45 3's. Most teams play very similar styles (obviously some exceptions) but not as much variety. Plus the rotating door of top tier talent just makes it harder to get to know players.

I have absolutely zero interest in G league or nba farm teams. I did go to a Gbo Swarm game but only because mu daughter loved Joel Barry at UNC and she wanted to see if she could a jersey signed by him.

No, I probably wouldn’t watch the farm games. So what?! It’s like giving up cigarettes. It’s hard but good for you in the long haul.
Yeah, but it's one less thing you enjoy (or used to enjoy) in your life.

I'll be sad if college ball goes away or gets watered down.

OTOH, it would free up time for other things.

I used to watch not only every UNC game but any game with either ranked teams going at it or any ACC game. That was back in 80's/early 90's when it just seemed you had more really good teams. I would buy all the preseason college basketball mags and go through every page. I'm sure a lot is just me getting older but the game is just not as entertaining. Either iso ball or jacking up 45 3's. Most teams play very similar styles (obviously some exceptions) but not as much variety. Plus the rotating door of top tier talent just makes it harder to get to know players.

I have absolutely zero interest in G league or nba farm teams. I did go to a Gbo Swarm game but only because mu daughter loved Joel Barry at UNC and she wanted to see if she could a jersey signed by him.
Pretty much nails my past experience and current feeling.

I didn't realize they were that old. When I moved to CH in the 60s, they were new to me, and I got the impression they had just been released and were being trial marketed in NC, but didn't catch on.

Or maybe I'm confusing them with Bull Durham cigarettes. Now that I think it over, that's probably the case.

Another thing I noticed, being in a tobacco state for the first time, was that the cigarettes always seemed fresh.
I remember Bull Durham chew , but not cigarettes.

Reactions: tilador and Archer2
I remember Bull Durham chew , but not cigarettes.
The pack held 25 cigarettes, iirc.

Back then, packs were 25 cents in a vending machine, under 2 bucks for a carton.

I don't even want to know how much cigarettes cost today.

Bull-Durham-Filter-O1-541x800.jpg

I don't see the good in having to give up college bball! But the good news is it isn't going anywhere! There are plenty of peeps wanting to play for a college; college bball will have to evolve and may become either a recognized pro farm system with ties to a U OR a vehicle for those with little to no pro aspirations. OR they may swing back to a system like baseball with a required commitment to a number of years. In any case, I feel like this is just a period of uncomfortable change!
Years ago I suggested that the pros should draft kids out of HS and then pay to send them to the team/coach they thought would train them up best, if they weren't ready to play in the NBA yet.

That wouldn't be a lot of kids, so it shouldn't be disruptive. And it would be interesting to see which teams sent players to which coaches.

Reactions: TheGLOV
And mean while Nero (Emmert) fiddles away as the NCAA burns down...

College sports has become a huge business, money and greed has made its way in to being fixtures in college sports, led IMO by the people in Indianapolis, allowed by the NCAA leadership. And now the old SEC motto of if ya ain't cheatin ya ain't tryin, seems to be the new rule the NCAA has allowed to be put in place. Bill Self is still coaching, Arizona is still buying players, and no one wants to look at K and duke even with blatant proof they have been getting players that have been paid, looking at you Zion. And on the horizon NLI makes buying players sanctioned while the NCAA fiddles play, Nero would feel right at home behind Emmerts desk.

Sports has now joined politics and is powered by the media, who now believe they speak for all of us when in truth they rarely do. We are no longer individual sports fans or individuals with political opinion, we are no longer considered individual people, we are now considered a collective that is easily manipulated in what ever direction our self declared leaders wish.

The question that I've never seen a clear answer to is just how many HS players the NBA franchises could take for their G League teams. It doesn't sound like more than 2, but I don't know if that's a rule. And of course they could take none.

So what are we really talking about among the top recruits in any given class? Maybe 10 to 20 players?

I assume most of those guys will come from the top 30 or so players.

I hope there are some here who can clarify that.

The Overtime League - or whatever it's called - may be more impactful, if it gets off the ground successfully. How many kids could they take?

Reactions: TheGLOV
And mean while Nero (Emmert) fiddles away as the NCAA burns down...

College sports has become a huge business, money and greed has made its way in to being fixtures in college sports, led IMO by the people in Indianapolis, allowed by the NCAA leadership. And now the old SEC motto of if ya ain't cheatin ya ain't tryin, seems to be the new rule the NCAA has allowed to be put in place. Bill Self is still coaching, Arizona is still buying players, and no one wants to look at K and duke even with blatant proof they have been getting players that have been paid, looking at you Zion. And on the horizon NLI makes buying players sanctioned while the NCAA fiddles play, Nero would feel right at home behind Emmerts desk.

Sports has now joined politics and is powered by the media, who now believe they speak for all of us when in truth they rarely do. We are no longer individual sports fans or individuals with political opinion, we are no longer considered individual people, we are now considered a collective that is easily manipulated in what ever direction our self declared leaders wish.
Nero didn’t actually fiddle while Rome burned. In fact he was 30 miles south of Rome when the fire started and started a massive rebuilding project so Emmert in this case is definitely a slap in the face to Nero’s integrity…. And that guy killed his mom

I remember when the masses said that the ACC would not survive when it expanded above 8 teams. What about OAD? More massive complaints....Nada, nada, nada....

I'll give you one example that brings it home for me folks. Remember the Brandon Ingram recruitment when K walked into the Ingram home in Kinston a few days before he committed to Duke? K told the parents "Your son will start every game at Duke and will be first round draft pick" . The parents saw that 1M house their son was going to buy them right before their eyes!

Bottom line folks, for every Hansbrough, their are 25 Brandon Ingrams.

Too many of these kids and their families see this as their ticket to wealth.

Once folks stop trying to fight change, they will sleep better. Nothing we can do about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT