ADVERTISEMENT

With nearly a week until their next game what if anything should the Basketball 🏀 team work on?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
First thing of course would be to rehab any injuries they may have like what Puff Johnson and RJ Davis are going thru and for everybody at this time to relax and enjoy this small break before the second half of the season starts again.

Secondly I would like to see the team continue to improve on their perimeter defense and saying that get out and run a lot more after missed opponents shots.

Thirdly I really enjoyed how Davis and Love drove against NC State’s man to man defense which lead to easy layups and a ton of free throw attempts instead of shooting bombs from downtown Cary. Personally I would like Black and Nance with their height advantages to also drive which could result in easier baskets or free throws instead of relying on long corner threes.

The 4th item I would like to see is the team just getting totally focused for the home stretch with them believing and trusting each other in both practices and game situations…

Feel free to add some more…

Good synopsis! Bench development, especially recovering the confidence of Trimble, Dunn, and Styles! I would love for then to work on a pump fake and drive from that corner for both Leaky and Nance as well. I agree that working on focus, camaraderie, and effort are important. They also have tome to work on increased use of transition and expanding the use of multiple defensive looks! BUT if all they get is healthier, that is a win! (Puff, RJ, Washington)

Correct me if I'm wrong but one thing I haven't seen much of this season is guards driving into the lane and making the short dish to a big for a dunk or layup. I can picture RJ doing that, mostly with Manek, a decent number of times last year.

Was that just because we had Manek? Can't anyone else be on the receiving end of those dimes?

Another thing I don't recall seeing much is our players driving the baseline. Is it that we are facing defenses that take that away, or that we don't have guys who can do that, or what?

I would also like to see either Coach Davis or Coach Lebo work with Trimble on his confidence to shoot the rock when open from the outside and to attack the rim like Davis and Love. Also to somehow figure out how to give Nickel more time because he always looks to score and when he is in that gives Carolina another scoring option…

Shot selection early in the clock, spacing and O movement (ball and man), more Jalen and Bacot in together .. stronger to the rack and interior aggressive attack mode by Leaky .. dude has handle, skill, quickness and length and should use it !!

I hate to channel Slick Rick, but he was and is right, teams must play solid, lockdown defense. Once that is mastered, then perfect our transition offense. Then make certain our bigs touch the ball and our smalls don't dribble too much. And of course, make sure we make more than 70% of our FT. We have adequate offense, but we are lacking hard-nosed defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT