ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else up for a consolidated election thread? If so, poast here.

No doubt. I STILL haven't figured out what was so bad about the email server thing though. I didn't like her because of her cushy relationship with the banks!
You can't send out state secrets on a personal server because of security reasons. As an example, lets say that she sent out a list of our spies on her personal server and then it was hacked by Russia or Iran. How would that end up working out? All that said, I never really put much stock into it because I knew that she would skate.

I hope you're right. I also hope all this sexist sh*t gets addressed and someone explains to him that is NOT appropriate. I know guys can talk that way amongst each other but I hope from now on they will at least remember that every woman you degrade and speak so lowly of or treat like she's just here for your pleasure, IS someone's daughter, sister or mother. It also bugs me when women on a talk show or something have a sexy male celebrity on there and they ALWAYS suggest that he take his shirt off. They don't see that as being the same crap but it is. I know it's far fetched but we all need to learn true respect. Myself included. ;)
Absolutely love your new avatar. Is that for the next 4 years?

I believe you will see Trump put together a truly amazing Cabinet.
Rudy, John Bolten, Ben Carson, all these and more are up for spots in his administration
Amen, Max. He has a plethora of great Cabinet candidates to choose from. Don't forget Cruz, Rubio, Gingrich, Kasich, Paul, Fiorina, Jindal, etc...

Amen, Max. He has a plethora of great Cabinet candidates to choose from. Don't forget Cruz, Rubio, Gingrich, Kasich, Paul, Fiorina, Jindal, etc...
I'm pretty sure that Kasich would jump off a bridge before he joined Trump.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about his views on education that you don't like.

I don't think the idea of competition works. It certainly wouldn't work they way he thinks it would. Often you have great teachers who care a great deal about their kids working at lower performing schools. The idea that these schools perform the way they do because of the teachers is not an educated one, which is understandable for a business person who is not emmersed in the system. Their are a ton of reasons many private schools are so successful, even often with teachers with less training. It has a lot more to do with the makeup of the school and socioeconomic factors. We do well score wise with all but our poorest kids. Logic tells you this has little to do with the education system and way more to do with that group. The way to improve education is to somehow decrease that group and move them up.

OTOH, I like some of his views here regarding localizing education and common core. I just find the lack of understanding regarding public school struggles baffling. It isn't complicated.

Reactions: nctransplant
I don't think the idea of competition works. It certainly wouldn't work they way he thinks it would. Often you have great teachers who care a great deal about their kids working at lower performing schools. The idea that these schools perform the way they do because of the teachers is not an educated one, which is understandable for a business person who is not emmersed in the system. Their are a ton of reasons many private schools are so successful, even often with teachers with less training. It has a lot more to do with the makeup of the school and socioeconomic factors. We do well score wise with all but our poorest kids. Logic tells you this has little to do with the education system and way more to do with that group. The way to improve education is to somehow decrease that group and move them up.

OTOH, I like some of his views here regarding localizing education and common core. I just find the lack of understanding regarding public school struggles baffling. It isn't complicated.
To simplify this, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

We need Cruz and Rubio in the Senate. Gingrich , Fiorina and Paul and Jindal are great candidates. Kasich hasn't exactly been open to Trump but that's his loss.

The Dept. of Education needs to be dissolved and turned over to the states.

We need Cruz and Rubio in the Senate. Gingrich , Fiorina and Paul and Jindal are great candidates. Kasich hasn't exactly been open to Trump but that's his loss.
Will be interesting to see what he does with Sessions as well. And you can bet Kellyann Conway will fit in there somewhere, one sharp lady right there.

The idea that these schools perform the way they do because of the teachers is not an educated one
It's not the only reason, but teachers have to be held accountable. When bad teachers are allowed to stay it only hurts the education of the child.

It's not the only reason, but teachers have to be held accountable. When bad teachers are allowed to stay it only hurts the education of the child.

I don't disagree but standardized testing as some be all and end all is such a terrible idea. Those decisions should be made by others in education who understand what a good teacher is.

Reactions: nctransplant
I don't disagree but standardized testing as some be all and end all is such a terrible idea. Those decisions should be made by others in education who understand what a good teacher is.
I agree that standardized testing is not perfect, but I think if you start leaving it up to "others in education" then you open up the system to some real problems. There is no way you can take bias out of that situation and I don't want my kid to pass/fail because of what another person feels should happen.

I agree that standardized testing is not perfect, but I think if you start leaving it up to "others in education" then you open up the system to some real problems. There is no way you can take bias out of that situation and I don't want my kid to pass/fail because of what another person feels should happen.

Well, the problems when those in education make those decisions are far less than when those outside of education make those decisions. Then you have good teachers in trouble because of factors they can't control. You also drive good teachers out of schools and places that need them the most. The best way to evaluate teachers using testing is by gains (which is how much a student grows in one year based on scores instead of just what they scored to the norm), which is generally done by those in education. Those outside of education look at raw scores or just percentiles because this is what they understand. These are useless without context.

The best way to evaluate teachers using testing is by gains (which is how much a student grows in one year based on scores instead of just what they scored to the norm)
I think that is a good point. My oldest is in kindergarten and that is similar to the approach they have for her. At the beginning of the year she was given a "test" to show what she already knew. She will take another test at the end of the year to see how much she has improved and where she is at compared to the "norm."

I think that is a good point. My oldest is in kindergarten and that is similar to the approach they have for her. At the beginning of the year she was given a "test" to show what she already knew. She will take another test at the end of the year to see how much she has improved and where she is at compared to the "norm."
MAPS testing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT