ADVERTISEMENT

Improvements you'd like to see made to the gameday experience

the constant blurting of one note isn't part of the song..........it's just something dumb the band plays to lead in to the song*............

*and if that is actually part of the song -- which I doubt -- then get rid of that part.

And re: food trucks and Tar Heel Town in general. People go to that??? Yikes. It will have to get significantly more awesome for me to abandon my Bojangles/beer/corn hole/listening to music/seeing friends in the Bowles Lot tailgate....

Reactions: grillheel
Seriously cannot tell if my intended point is getting through or not. Someone please assist? :eek:
Let me try yelling.

HE'S NOT SAYING THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH "HERE COMES CAROLINA." THE PART HE DOESN'T LIKE IS THE REPETITIVE NOTE THAT IS PLAYED FASTER AND FASTER UP UNTIL THE ACTUAL BEGINNING OF "HERE COMES CAROLINA."

Let's see if that worked.

I personally love the game day experience. There is nothing that winning and better non conference opponents in Kenan won't take care of. My only request would be to get close enough to the refs at halftime and end of the game for them to actually hear my profane critiques of their performances.

Let me try yelling.

HE'S NOT SAYING THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH "HERE COMES CAROLINA." THE PART HE DOESN'T LIKE IS THE REPETITIVE NOTE THAT IS PLAYED FASTER AND FASTER UP UNTIL THE ACTUAL BEGINNING OF "HERE COMES CAROLINA."

Let's see if that worked.
you mad bro? I got that(bout 30 mins. ago). it just doesn't mean I agree. Sheeesh

you mad bro? I got that(bout 30 mins. ago). it just doesn't mean I agree. Sheeesh
Not at all, but what you said was this:
"Here Comes Carolina" boring and lame?? Well it still gives me chills. Maybe you need a new team.
...which makes it sound like you thought he was criticizing HCC when he wasn't.

f7ffd2e906b1cf8e344ff12cb78190eadefbb587ac86531cd6000a183e67911f.jpg

Reactions: UNC71-00
Poor communication on my part. What I meant is I don't have a problem with the wah , Wah , Wah , WAH. To me it's just the sign the team is getting ready to hit the field/court. If you guys got a problem with it that's your right. Just voicing my different opinion. I guess if the teams don't like it they could lobby for a change.

I'll play the hell out of some lead guitar as an intro next year. You guys can even pick the song. Just no AC/DC
No kidding ^ Talk about the most overplayed (at sports games) band of all-time by a country mile. JHC....their songs aren't even that good. They're just picked by stadium DJ's who have no creativity.

I'll play the hell out of some lead guitar as an intro next year. You guys can even pick the song. Just no AC/DC

There is one AC/DC song that tells a major truth: Money Talks. But I don't think it work as a football intro.

Okay, I'll start ;)

The band -- it's lousy. Isn't loud enough, doesn't have enough brass in it, and plays extremely boring, outdated, bland songs.

I was a student at Carolina in the early seventies. The band was lousy then, and it's been lousy every year since then. A lousy band is a carolina tradition. live with it, laugh about it, accept it, but don't frustrate yourself hoping for change.

• "Turn Down for What" would make a great entrance song.
I agree that it would be a pretty cool entrance song. However....this is UNC. At the game against Moo last year, they played more rap than usual. You should've seen it....the old-timer fans were about ready to burn their season tickets right then and there because they were disgusted by the music choices.

You've gotta find something that appeals to all ages and demographics, which is why I think you should find something that's just a solid beat, or perhaps a crossover song that utilizes rap and rock elements.

"New Noise" by Refused (a song used in the Friday Night Lights movie) would be sickkkk to come out to. Just get an instrumental version of the song, or splice parts together. Such a good song. Gets me amped up when I'm at the gym and stuff. But in general, I'll admit I'm not a great person to pick an entrance song because the songs I'd pick that amp me up, would terrify the bejeezus out of 80% of the fans in attendance at Kenan haha.

Reactions: bobby121567
I laugh at the fact that I've been chastised for focusing on the uniforms yet we have fans talking about not getting a free pom-pom at the games? But I'll play (although I'll probably continue to make smartalec remarks about some of the posts in this thread).

While I find most of this stuff trivial and none of it makes any difference to me, I can see the argument behind a good entrance song. That's something that gets publicized on ESPN and whatnot. So with that said, I'll offer up a few.

Jack White's High Ball Stepper - maybe start it at the 1:18 mark

The White Stripes - Icky Thump

Swollen Members - Warrior

I don't get whatever comparison you're trying to draw.

The comparison is that whenever Woad, 71 or I would bring up uniforms in the past, we would be bombarded with posts asking us why we choose to focus on something so trivial instead of focusing on football. And in this thread, we're having discussions on pom-pom waving, entrance songs and pinot grigio being served at concessions. I think it's an appropriate comparison.

The comparison is that whenever Woad, 71 or I would bring up uniforms in the past, we would be bombarded with posts asking us why we choose to focus on something so trivial instead of focusing on football. And in this thread, we're having discussions on pom-pom waving, entrance songs and pinot grigio being served at concessions. I think it's an appropriate comparison.

And I agree that proper uniforms, in Carolina Blue and White, is a more important subject that pom poms.

Naked dance girls is another matter entirely.

I've got it.

UNC should commission someone to write an entrance song for the football team. The obvious choice would be Chase Rice. A straight country song wouldn't have mass appeal, so add some rock elements and a driving beat. If Carolina really wants to brand its athletics, having its own football song would be a great way to further that goal.

I've got it.

UNC should commission someone to write an entrance song for the football team. The obvious choice would be Chase Rice. A straight country song wouldn't have mass appeal, so add some rock elements and a driving beat. If Carolina really wants to brand its athletics, having its own football song would be a great way to further that goal.
Dude.....can you imagine the complaints that would levy??? You thought uniform threads were bad. People would lose their mind lol.

For the record though, I like the idea a lot. May have to call up my buddy Chase and tell him to get started on it.

Reactions: mtpeke
Dude.....can you imagine the complaints that would levy???
No, I can't. I realize you can't please everyone, but if Carolina pro-actively promoted the idea before the song was complete they could build enough support to drown out the detractors. And whether anyone outside Chapel Hill liked the song or not, they'd have to give UNC credit for the innovation.

You know, back in the day, someone had to write all those fight songs that the marching/pep bands play. Who says you can't have a country/rock band write and play a fight song? Better yet, make it something the marching/pep bands could play as well.

No, I can't. I realize you can't please everyone, but if Carolina pro-actively promoted the idea before the song was complete they could build enough support to drown out the detractors. And whether anyone outside Chapel Hill liked the song or not, they'd have to give UNC credit for the innovation.

You know, back in the day, someone had to write all those fight songs that the marching/pep bands play. Who says you can't have a country/rock band write and play a fight song? Better yet, make it something the marching/pep bands could play as well.
Like. Like. Like. Make it so.

I've got it.

Good idea.

Reactions: Raising Heel

I doubt Chase Rice would fit the lib agenda.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Chase Rice? Seriously guys... It's cool and all that he supports UNC but come on...

Hey now that's a damn good idea. That would solve the debate and we'd have something that's cool, new and ours. I like it! ABC'ers will hate it and I like that too!

Reactions: Raising Heel
really my only complaint about our game day experience in recent years is the number of times i've driven 6 hrs round trip, paid a small fortune for lodging, meals, tickets, etc., passed up nice weekend activities here in richmond, sat my butt down in kenan -- and the team didn't show up! i don't expect to win every game, i'm talking about complete no-shows like last year's nc state game, the beat down by georgia tech two (?) yrs. ago, you all know exactly what i'm talking about. i expect our team to come out and compete damm it, show up ready to play! be fundamentally sound, play hard like you give a sh;t, and make me proud, not embarrassed -- that's all i ask and my game day experience will be fine.

really my only complaint about our game day experience in recent years is the number of times i've driven 6 hrs round trip, paid a small fortune for lodging, meals, tickets, etc., passed up nice weekend activities here in richmond, sat my butt down in kenan -- and the team didn't show up! i don't expect to win every game, i'm talking about complete no-shows like last year's nc state game, the beat down by georgia tech two (?) yrs. ago, you all know exactly what i'm talking about. i expect our team to come out and compete damm it, show up ready to play! be fundamentally sound, play hard like you give a sh;t, and make me proud, not embarrassed -- that's all i ask and my game day experience will be fine.
Exactly!! Just COMPETE damn it!

Ah, gotcha. Well I don't know much about it but it's probably not my cup of tea either. That doesn't mean he's not capable of writing something with wider appeal. Maybe a collaboration with James Taylor LOL?

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't write his own songs. Or doesn't write most of them. Sadly that's just the way the industry works nowadays. JT is an incredible songwriter though.

I dont think its the song that really makes the intro. You could play the most energetic piece of music ever written and most of the fans in Kenan will still keep their asses planted firmly in the seats.

Gotta change the culture if you want to bring the energy levels up. The last game I went to, I was in the student section and the students around me knew literally nothing about football, many of which were just holding unrelated drunken conversations amongst themselves, not even watching the game. The only way I know to take care of that is to win more games and increase the interest level. Fans have to take pride in creating a home field advantage for the team

Gotta change the culture if you want to bring the energy levels up. The last game I went to, I was in the student section and the students around me knew literally nothing about football, many of which were just holding unrelated drunken conversations amongst themselves, not even watching the game. The only way I know to take care of that is to win more games and increase the interest level. Fans have to take pride in creating a home field advantage for the team
And sadly, the student section is consistently the most enthusiastic part of the crowd.

Of course it's easier to get excited about a winning team, but the fans aren't really able to control that. Agreed on creating a home field advantage though. I think some of the suggestions in this thread are designed to do that...to make the overall experience more interesting and exciting so that fans will be more engaged.

It really is sad how many fans in attendance act like they're watching the game at home on their televisions. Even in crucial defensive third-down situations, they'll just sit there without ever giving a thought to standing up, making some noise, and supporting the home team. Just bizarre to me.

Fans aren't able to control the product on the field, but I think that's what they respond to. You can have the best shenanigans and fight song in the world but there won't be a formidable home field advantage in Kenan until Carolina is a consistent 9-10 win team.

Just every week ask the visiting team to wear State or Va Tech colors. Since they are probally the most want teams that the fanbase want to beat. And then they would make noise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT