ADVERTISEMENT

Improvements you'd like to see made to the gameday experience

Since I haven't seen either mentioned yet, how does everyone feel about concession stand options (not prices) and the restrooms?

I'm not a picky eater, so I never have any trouble finding something to eat at the concession stand if I'm hungry. I think some people have complained about the lack of options, though. If I have one complaint, it's that the pizza is always tepid.

Aside from the inevitable lines, I have no problems with the restrooms. The line moves quickly enough and bonus points for the shelf above so I can set down my drink. I wish they'd install hand dryers since the towel dispenser never works and the discarded towels end up everywhere. I've heard folks say there should be more restrooms, but I don't know where you'd put them.

Raising I have no problem with the food or food choices either. I mean it's a football game for crying out loud!!!!! What are you want STEAK!!!! I usually eat before the game on later games anyway at on of the restaurants on Franklin St. Most of the time Four Corners. And the place that is right outside the entrance Sec 120 always make me hungry again. Just smelling the fried onions. Can't think of the name right now. But the do have a restaurant on Franklin. But if I do have to complain about something. I love hot dogs. And our dogs taste good. Just wish you could get them with chili and onions. So there is my minor complaint. SO READY FOR SEPTEMBER 3RD!!!!!!! GO HEELS!!!!!!!

UNC has no control over that. Like THN said, start times are dictated by the media rights holders (ESPN, Raycom, etc.). Even with night games against Liberty and SDSU last year, it was still really hot and muggy in Kenan. We need better cooperation from Mother Nature!

How would anyone tailgate there without being able to park there? Are you suggesting something like other schools do, where you have golf carts transport you and your gear to your spot?

Oh, I know we can't control it...the evil that is ESPN does. Speaking as a mountain girl... I really hate the August and early September heat. I have gone to enough of those games. I don't care who we play. I am NOT sweating that much again.

That is why I decided to stay where I was when we picked seats. I didn't want to give up my shade.

But they do suck in late November. With no sun. But I can always put layers on. I don't think y'all would want to see me naked in the stands!!!!!,

Reactions: Raising Heel
Raising I took two blankets with me too. One to put on the metal bleacher and wrap up in the other. My not look manly but it is warmer.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Yeah the Moo game was friggin cold. I was in the sun, thank goodness. Just a godawful day all around. Had to ~DD my whole group all the way back to Sampson County after the game. Stopped at a rest area along 40W and bought 3 mountain dews from the vending machine to stay awake lol

Paragraphs, Bobby, paragraphs. ;)

The title of the Metallica song works well with the Bell Tower. The pace of the song might be too slow to get people amped up, though.

The pom poms (or something similar, like the Steelers' terrible towel) is a great idea. Sure, it would cost a little more, but like you said it would look great on TV and it's another way of getting fans involved in the game.

Not sure if the band is allowed to use amplifiers. I think there might actually be an NCAA rule against it but not sure. Anybody know? If not, heck yeah. Set up a bank of microphones in front of the band section and let 'er rip.

You're exactly right about Tar Heel Town. It's a great idea, but they need more food options (despite the limited space) to make it more appealing. I love the idea of corn hole or other games as well, even if there's limited space for it.

And of course the beer. You know darn well UNC will be one of the last colleges to give in to that trend. But I bet people would show up earlier, in greater numbers, if they could buy beer at THT before the game and at concession stands during the game. Not holding my breath though.

Tar Heel Town is too restrictive! It turns me off. Rather go to the Rathskeller and eat steak on a sizzling platter.

I go a few times a year. For the Victory Walk!!!!!! It's not bad. Just needs more food and drink choices. To much gear towards kids I think. The bands are usually pretty good. If they had vendors that grill hamburgers hotdog BBQ ect. Tailgate type food and have a cornhole area. There might be more people hanging out. And also a tent with tv sin them so you can watch other games if later games or College GameDay if the 12 game. They could make it better. And instead of having the Drum Line at the bookstore and the pep rally at the steps of the Library. The should move those to Tar Heel Town also. Have the band have their pep Rally. But instead of the U.S. Following them. Have them at the end play the Fight Song. Move to form the Interlocking NC and the fans could walk through the N. Home side seats to the right part of the N and Visitor side left side. They can make it a lot better to make folk come. Or just have the Pep Rally at the Bell Tower. Just a few thoughts.

Tar Heel Town is too restrictive! It turns me off. Rather go to the Rathskeller and eat steak on a sizzling platter.
The Rat has been closed for some time now. Plans were to reopen it but things keep delaying it. I think the last time I ate there was late 70's , early eighties. It was mainly Italian food. I am not sure but the reopening may be off all together.

People actually go to Tar Heel Town..?
Of course. It's a very family-friendly venue, and like bobby said the bands are usually good (for that type of event).

Speaking of which, @bobby121567 has had some really good ideas in this thread. Due to his aversion to paragraphs, I'm going to list out the ones from his last post that I really like:

1) vendors that grill hamburgers hotdog BBQ etc.
2) have a cornhole area.
3) a tent with tv sin them so you can watch other games if later games or College GameDay if the 12 game.
4) instead of having the Drum Line at the bookstore and the pep rally at the steps of the Library. The should move those to Tar Heel Town also...or just have the Pep Rally at the Bell Tower.

Reactions: bobby121567
Carolina gives out band scholarships correct? If so, then treat it like any other sport, recruit band members, especially if you're having trouble attracting talent that's already in-house, so to speak.

I do like your idea on having a band member on the council. Solid idea. But yeah, the material has got to change.

Unless the situation has changed in the past 20 yrs or so, the answer to your question is "NO". I have two daughters who are vets of the UNC Band, (the latter left the "Band" in 1996) and at least at that point in time there were no "band scholarships" - same as when I participated in the Marching Tar Heels for one year back in 1963. When my older daughter who attended UNC played in the Band (and she was in it for 4 yrs), we had a pretty dynamic director, music-wise, but no matter how hard he encouraged members to change instruments to low brass, he was never able to get many to switch. Great director, but he got virtually -0- support from the music dept OR the athletic dept beyond supplying uniforms. If I'm not mistaken, most of the big football schools' with massive bands support a significant number of Band Scholarships from the Athletic Dept budget.

But even there, that's not necessarily the case - either 2 or 3 yrs ago, the top ranked collegiate marching band in the US was none other than the Western Carolina University Marching Catamounts (they succeeded the University of Indiana-Bloomington in that spot). I saw them at one home game in Cullowhee (one of my daughters, who at one time was a Marching Tar Heel, was employed there)- VERY good outdoor show band with plenty of brass, including sousaphones, and the following year they appeared in the Rose Parade. And, I guarantee you they did NOT have any significant support from the WCU athletic dept (which budget is miniscule compared to Carolina's). They had a dynamic director, who loved marching bands, and that band became a major attraction for kids coming out of high school marching bands to attend WCU

Musically, as reflected above, even though our band numbers more than 250 most years, over half of that number are woodwinds (large # of clarinets, flutes, and piccolos - which DON'T produce any significant sound in an open arena) and flags (which produce -0- sound). The biggest single lack, compared to the "Marching Chiefs", for example is lack of Sousaphones, (the big over the shoulder Tubas that are designed for marching bands). The Marching Tar Heels of recent vintage probably have a dozen of the big horns on the field, whereas the "Chiefs" will have about 30 or more, including a significant # on band scholarship - ditto for most comparable programs. Back to the makeup of our band - one issue which has grown through the years, is that the majority of brass players, particular trombones, baritones and tubas, are guys, while gals still tend to take up the smaller, lighter instruments which are not nearly as effective in a marching band in producing sound. And last time I checked the female % of our student body was larger than the male, and the gap was widening.

However, IMHO, the biggest issue with the band program has been apathy. We've had the same director for a number of years, and IIRC, he was promoted from within. We have a band, largely because we're expected to have one, and no one in the Athletic or Music departments has show much interest in promoting that function. I have never heard anyone discuss our current band director's leadership, recruiting or promotional skills as anything other than maintaining the status quo.

You only have to look at what a dynamic director was able to accomplish in Cullowhee to see what a difference leadership makes in a program such as this. I suggest that if we're going to try to improve, we need to find someone of that inclination and ability for the Director's position, and then provide him with a decent level of support to make some basic changes (which I believe in most comparable schools comes primarily from the Athletic Dept budget).

One other idea - many years ago, my oldest child attended school at Rice University - the only school in NCAA Div 1 smaller than WFU at that time. Students at Rice would show up for games midway through the 2nd qtr to be there for the half-time show of the MOB (the Marching Owl Band), and then leave during the 3rd quarter because the team was traditionally down by 28 or so at the half. I mention this only because the MOB was a very contemporary, unconventional aggregation of musicians - #1 - they didn't "march" - they always ran to their positions in formation, #2 - their uniforms were variegated "gangster" suits and hats and #3 - a significant core of that very good band were NOT current students - many were relatively recent alumni who still lived in the Houston area, and remained active in the band. Seems to me that a similar approach might be effective in the Triangle for Carolina alums (or musical alums of any school who have an inclination to support the heels) with the right person at the helm of this enterprise.

^^^^ Interesting points about the alums coming back to play in the band. I can play trombone and baritone. Maybe UNC should allow alums to carry instruments into the stadium, give them all the sheet music to the songs, and let them join in.

I'm only half joking.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet. But here is Chase Rice's Carolina Can. Maybe not waiting in the tunnel but definitely pre-game material.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the video. Not a big country fan but the song is nice. Good to see him doing so well.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet. But here is Chase Rice's Carolina Can. Maybe not waiting in the tunnel but definitely pre-game material.

Funnily enough, someone just posted this on the premium board and I referenced this thread, stating what we said, that UNC needs to sponsor him (he'd do it for free) to craft a 'Carolina Anthem'

Reactions: UNC '92
They need to allow beer to be sold in the stadium. It is ridiculous not to. They do it at Louisville and I didn't see any fights or issues. Game day experience immediately better!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT