ADVERTISEMENT

So, there's a real mess down here in Florida...

Few things. They don't need to go to the DMV to get an ID. Fortunately, ID isn't required to vote! As for the lost wages, my polls were open from 7am to 9pm. If there are people out there working 14+ hour days, maybe they can do the early voting or absentee voting or something. As for me, I had a nice 10 hour work day on Tuesday, but I spent the 10 minutes in the morning to go to the polls before work, and didn't need to take the day off.

As for the underserved communities. I imagine you're referring to the inner-city. Cities have polling places all over the place due to the increased population. Hell, you can probably be anywhere in a city and hit a golf ball to the nearest polling station.
But I hit the golf ball a loooooong way.

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
Few things. They don't need to go to the DMV to get an ID. Fortunately, ID isn't required to vote! As for the lost wages, my polls were open from 7am to 9pm. If there are people out there working 14+ hour days, maybe they can do the early voting or absentee voting or something. As for me, I had a nice 10 hour work day on Tuesday, but I spent the 10 minutes in the morning to go to the polls before work, and didn't need to take the day off.

As for the underserved communities. I imagine you're referring to the inner-city. Cities have polling places all over the place due to the increased population. Hell, you can probably be anywhere in a city and hit a golf ball to the nearest polling station.

In many states you do need an ID to vote, hence the controversy about voter id laws.

In South Carolina the polls close at 7.

Just because it’s technically possible for someone to vote doesn’t mean that the costs are prohibitive.

Not all underserved communities are urban. Many are in rural areas like parts of West Virginia.

In many states you do need an ID to vote, hence the controversy about voter id laws.

Just because it’s technically possible for someone to vote doesn’t mean that the costs are prohibitive.

Not all underserved communities are urban. Many are in rural areas like parts of West Virginia.
West Virginia? I'll show you rural #visitnebraska

Does SC not offer absentee ballots or early voting?

That’s silly. The costs aren’t just travel time. They include taking time to get registered, and going to the dmv to get an ID if they don’t already have one. And most people certainly can’t walk to their local dmv. And they lose wages by taking the time off on Election Day to actually vote. Just because it’s easy for you to vote doesn’t mean it’s easy for everyone. Especially in underserved communities.

That can be done online.

Does SC not offer absentee ballots or early voting?

The absentee process is ridiculous. They even put the request form in a file format that I had never seen before.

I’m not saying it’s impossible for people to vote. I’m saying it should be easier.

The absentee process is ridiculous. They even put the request form in a file format that I had never seen before.

I’m not saying it’s impossible for people to vote. I’m saying it should be easier.

The absentee process should only be allowed for the military and anyone who can't make it to vote, due to disabilities.

Apparently you can just contact your voter registration office and have a paper application mailed to you. No need to worry about the file format. I'm not sure how it can be any easier.

https://www.scvotes.org/absentee-voting

Yeah, who doesn't have the internet or a data plan nowadays? You can always take a day off from work and take the bus.

You are seriously out of touch. Lots of people don’t have internet or data plans because they can’t afford them.

Yeah, who doesn't have the internet or a data plan nowadays? You can always take a day off from work and take the bus.
Many states require employers to allow for time off to vote. Nebraska requires 2 hours. Almost took me that long to vote. After standing in line behind the other 12 people in my county(luckily 6 were working there) it took me at least 4 minutes.

Apparently you can just contact your voter registration office and have a paper application mailed to you. No need to worry about the file format. I'm not sure how it can be any easier.

https://www.scvotes.org/absentee-voting

Personally I don’t think you should have to go anywhere to vote given today’s technology. It’s not a problem for me, but someone who doesn’t have a vehicle would have to pay an Uber or something to get there.

Personally I don’t think you should have to go anywhere to vote given today’s technology. It’s not a problem for me, but someone who doesn’t have a vehicle would have to pay an Uber or something to get there.

Or the bus, or just walk. Voting precincts are generally pretty close.

It certainly doesn't. And if they show up at the polls, they certainly get to vote.

The discussion here is whether getting more people to the polls, even if they're uninformed, is a good thing (not a constitutionally allowed thing).

What's your opinion? If 5 million more people voted in the recent election, but none of them had ever looked into the issues and candidates, would that be better, or worse?
The more American citizens who participate in the Democratic process, the better.

You are seriously out of touch. Lots of people don’t have internet or data plans because they can’t afford them.
That's another whole can of worms that can be opened. I live in one of the poorest counties out here and almost everyone has a smartphone of some sort. You can believe they are all loaded with tattoos and smokes though.

You don't have to go anywhere if you do absentee voting. Well, you have to go to the mailbox. I don't think that's too much to ask for though. Voting is not cost prohibitive.

Reactions: nctransplant
You don't have to go anywhere if you do absentee voting. Well, you have to go to the mailbox. I don't think that's too much to ask for though. Voting is not cost prohibitive.

It’s an unnecessarily complicated process to get an absentee ballot. You have to download a request form that’s in a crazy format I can’t even open on my computer, print it and mail it off. Then wait for the ballot to be mailed back to you. Many people don’t know enough about the process to be able to get that done in time to vote. It should be simpler and easier. Even if you decide you want to vote on Election Day morning

It’s an unnecessarily complicated process to get an absentee ballot. You have to download a request form that’s in a crazy format I can’t even open on my computer, print it and mail it off. Then wait for the ballot to be mailed back to you. Many people don’t know enough about the process to be able to get that done in time to vote. It should be simpler and easier. Even if you decide you want to vote on Election Day morning
Check the link in my earlier post. All you have to do is contact them and they send you an application. You don't have to download and print anything. Using the phone and/or the USPS isn't complicated. It couldn't be any simpler.

Check the link in my earlier post. All you have to do is contact them and they send you an application. You don't have to download and print anything. Using the phone and/or the USPS isn't complicated. It couldn't be any simpler.

I’m familiar with the process. The problem is that process isn’t common knowledge and most people don’t think about the process until it’s too close to Election Day

I’m familiar with the process. The problem is that process isn’t common knowledge and most people don’t think about the process until it’s too close to Election Day
It's their responsibility to know that. All they have to do is make a phone call to find out the process. It requires almost no effort on their part. At some point you have to be a responsible citizen and put forth some kind of effort.

I don't believe the ID issue is a big or even as close to as big as the left makes it out to be. It would be nearly impossible to live without an ID.
Hp
I don't believe the ID issue is a big or even as close to as big as the left makes it out to be. It would be nearly impossible to live without an ID.
Why has requiring an ID became such a big deal in the last 10 or so years? How did we get by without it for the last 200 years?

It's their responsibility to know that. All they have to do is make a phone call to find out the process. It requires almost no effort on their part. At some point you have to be a responsible citizen and put forth some kind of effort.

Every state should at the very least have same day registration. Some kind of remote voting would also be beneficial. There’s no reason people should need to leave their home to vote with modern technology.

The more American citizens who participate in the Democratic process, the better.

Fair enough. Maybe we can get a few million in that have no idea what the hell is going on but vote for Trump because they liked "The Apprentice".

Or maybe they'll make their decision based off who's first name comes first alphabetically and Bernie could get elected.

Maybe they'll be dog lovers and vote for Beto because his name sounds like a dog name.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT