ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bradley declaring for the draft and may hire an agent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're my boy Mark, but no offense, the bolded is a you problem, not a him problem (as you alluded to). He was a part of a national title winning team. He doesn't "owe" Carolina anything, IMO. If he likes what he hears, I support him going.

I'd also be quick to warn those who are thinking "yes! This will help us get more OAD types." It might... but remember, Roy didn't exactly give Bradley major minutes. Not every OAD type is gonna be down with that.

Regardless, hard to get too worked up over this right now!
Right. I won't be mad at him at all. In fact if he leaves and it works out, then good on him. It's just that he won't really stand out to me at all when I think back on him. So yes, that's on me.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
He's taking advantage of the opportunity and, if he happens to pop and project top 20, I think it's great. It won't help the Heels next season, but it might help the OAD perception.

Says who? Possibly returning Berry/Pinson/Bradley. Maybe throw in Knox and that's a damn good squad IMO. Bet you didn't think UNC would be Champs a year ago today.
I predicted they would win the title this year....My exact quotes "Anything less than an NCAA title would be a failure"....Not bad, uh?

Reactions: HEELS1984
A lot of the mocks I've seen have him the 4th-5th pick of the second round. As bad as a blow it would be to next years team I can never blame anybody after winning the championship. Maybe Brooks can fill the void if TB bolts.

Reactions: RP12
Kind of shocked he announced this decision so fast. I don't blame him for testing the water just shocked this was announced so quick.

For him to announce so quick, he obviously has been thinking about this for a while and at least strongly considering leaving assuming he gets positive feedback. I wouldn't shocked if he ended up hiring an agent but I do think he could improve his stock by coming back and getting 30 minutes a game.

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
Or maybe he announced this quickly to get it addressed and resolved quickly (and to possibly help Roy on the recruiting front). The sooner he knows if he should return, the better. The sooner Roy knows if he's leaving, the better positioned Roy is with filling the class.

TOS is reporting that Bradley's father said no decision has been made. I don't think I can link it on here.
Said Tony, his parents & Roy will have a meeting & make a decision.

This makes more sense. Roy sits down with them at the end of the season and has a discussion regarding it. I don't even remember the McCants/Felton/May/Marvin group declaring the night of.

I wish the best for the young man. An article I read earlier had quotes from his Dad. Maybe I'm wrong but between the lines it seemed a little salty. Said there were a lot of things his son could do that no one had seen because of his situation this year.

This makes more sense. Roy sits down with them at the end of the season and has a discussion regarding it. I don't even remember the McCants/Felton/May/Marvin group declaring the night of.

mccants did, but him and Roy had an official Press Conference as well.

I wish the best for the young man. An article I read earlier had quotes from his Dad. Maybe I'm wrong but between the lines it seemed a little salty. Said there were a lot of things his son could do that no one had seen because of his situation this year.

link?

Quote from TOS (Hopefully not an issue):

We have not discussed that [declaring without an agent]," said Bradley Sr. "We definitely will consider it. That's something that's only right, to see where you are. A lot of mock drafts and people are saying good things about him. We want him to get some feedback to see if it's a good opportunity for him to leave or come back and get ready for next year."

I'm sure there is tons he could do that we haven't seen. He was behind two seniors in the rotation also.
Bradley does a lot of things really well but he missed a lot of open shots this weekend.

I'm sure there is tons he could do that we haven't seen. He was behind two seniors in the rotation also.
Bradley does a lot of things really well but he missed a lot of open shots this weekend.
I agree and hope all the best for him. Was a big part of our season. Just seemed to me reading the quotes Dad thinks the money might be there now.

Quote from TOS (Hopefully not an issue):

We have not discussed that [declaring without an agent]," said Bradley Sr. "We definitely will consider it. That's something that's only right, to see where you are. A lot of mock drafts and people are saying good things about him. We want him to get some feedback to see if it's a good opportunity for him to leave or come back and get ready for next year."

That makes perfect sense. If I were him, his father, Roy, etc. I'd want him to do the same because there are a ton of good things about him translating to the next level.

Hope he gets the info he needs and makes the right call. Can't hate him either way for it.

just read that part. I didn't get a "salty" vibe from it though. What he said is true. Seeing he was playing behind Hicks and Meeks and only played 14 minutes, there probably are aspects of his game that make him a very good prospect.

Dad is saying all the right things, too. Especially about the part about "believing in protocol" and that he'll sit down with the family and with Roy and make the best decision from there. If there were any disgruntled feelings, they were extremely subtle with them. JMO.

Reactions: gauchoheel
just read that part. I didn't get a "salty" vibe from it though. What he said is true. Seeing he was playing behind Hicks and Meeks and only played 14 minutes, there probably are aspects of his game that make him a very good prospect.

Dad is saying all the right things, too. Especially about the part about "believing in protocol" and that he'll sit down with the family and with Roy and make the best decision from there. If there were any disgruntled feelings, they were extremely subtle with them. JMO.
I respect that. Just seemed a little salty to me. The way lots of parents are now you never know. Selfishly I hope he comes back. He could be one of the best bigs we've had in a long while but hope he does what's best for himself.

I think he's gone. Just odd timing. I always say I wish any kid well if they are doing what they feel is best. He was a part of a Title team. He owes us nothing as fans.

I think he's gone. Just odd timing. I always say I wish any kid well if they are doing what they feel is best. He was a part of a Title team. He owes us nothing as fans.

I always think of Ed Davis. Hindsight 20/20 don't you think he wished he would have jumped too? Not saying next year is anything close to 09-10 but gotta be a conversation piece.

Reactions: NCAAUCoach
Without Bradley we will be a very different team next year and strongly perimeter oriented for perhaps the first time under Coach Williams. If Bradley bolts with Justin then we need Berry back which should be okay given how deep this draft is at PG....

With Berry back our best 5 might just be....

Berry/Williams/Felton/Pinson/Maye?

That's pretty scary, we would definitely need Knox and even Brooks....

I respect that. Just seemed a little salty to me. The way lots of parents are now you never know. Selfishly I hope he comes back. He could be one of the best bigs we've had in a long while but hope he does what's best for himself.

I agree it sounded like Dad wants to see if the NBA thinks Tony is ready. I really did not get a salty or negative vibe. I feel Mr. Bradley handled the situation with class and considerable presence of mind.

Tony, Joel, and Theo should ALL test the water and if 1st round picks should take it. Now I don't think they are 1st rounders right now. IMO, Tony is the least ready to contribute to a NBA team of the 3 but if a team is ready to use a 1st round pick on hi now take it and I will wish him well!
This. Everybody should test the waters. Especially all juniors or anyone who thinks they might leave next year. Get that feedback and come back. If you get lucky by getting a lucrative promise, then make your decision.

Without Bradley we will be a very different team next year and strongly perimeter oriented for perhaps the first time under Coach Williams. If Bradley bolts with Justin then we need Berry back which should be okay given how deep this draft is at PG....

The grit Berry displayed these last few games might give him a boost in the draft.

If Bradley leaves (along with Justin, Kennedy, Isaiah, Nate and Stilman) and we don't sign Knox, Berry may decide that coming back could actually hurt his chances.

That would be a heck of a coaching challenge, and well outside of Roy's wheelhouse. But I would almost like to see how he would handle it.

Would we press? Would we play zone? Uncharted waters.

I doubt we'd be competing at our current level, but it might be fun if we adjust our expectations.

He faded some down the stretch. Unless he blames that on Roy, that should tell him he needs another year to get him ready for the next level.

The grit Berry displayed these last few games might give him a boost in the draft.

If Bradley leaves (along with Justin, Kennedy, Isaiah, Nate and Stilman) and we don't sign Knox, Berry may decide that coming back could actually hurt his chances.
Isn't that similar to Sean May after winning the championship in 2005? May wanted to come back but Marvin Williams, Felton and McCants all declared for the draft. The key difference though, May was a lottery pick, Berry probably has very little chance at getting drafted in the first round.

Isn't that similar to Sean May after winning the championship in 2005? May wanted to come back but Marvin Williams, Felton and McCants all declared for the draft. The key difference though, May was a lottery pick, Berry probably has very little chance at getting drafted in the first round.
Yeah. It isn't as clear as with Sean or Kendall. But it's still something he may want to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT