ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Thread

Eric Bossi said he would have soared up the rankings, if able to play in front of coaches. I wouldn't get too caught up in his ranking. From the looks of it, Dunn as some real game. That stroke is pure, and look to be improving his handle. Would be pumped if he joined Styles to start the 2021 class

Could be very true about Dunn, however my point is you need to know every top 50 player in the nation that "loves" Carolina. Never get caught later in this day/age, unaware that top players are huge life long Carolina fan/dream school.

I have no knowledge of Carolinas side other than K.Marshall reaching out on social media with Trey, but Carolina went hard for Bryce Thompson from Oklahoma so Coach Rob and Frederick know the area. Maybe Roy values a more athletic 2 guard over a pure shooter less athletic, thus we pick up a player like the latter( Walton late this year). Anyway, we have a distinct advantage for this player and lack of mere contact will be harder to persuade later. Trey could easily blow up this senior year because he has all the tools and a high BB IQ(plenty of high praise from many analysts). A little attention can go a long ways.

Could be very true about Dunn, however my point is you need to know every top 50 player in the nation that "loves" Carolina. Never get caught later in this day/age, unaware that top players are huge life long Carolina fan/dream school.

I have no knowledge of Carolinas side other than K.Marshall reaching out on social media with Trey, but Carolina went hard for Bryce Thompson from Oklahoma so Coach Rob and Frederick know the area. Maybe Roy values a more athletic 2 guard over a pure shooter less athletic, thus we pick up a player like the latter( Walton late this year). Anyway, we have a distinct advantage for this player and lack of mere contact will be harder to persuade later. Trey could easily blow up this senior year because he has all the tools and a high BB IQ(plenty of high praise from many analysts). A little attention can go a long ways.

Maybe his family is reaching out to Dook, and wont let him reach out to UNC? Lol. I can see the dark side blocking communication.

Reactions: Lewis&Miller
Maybe his family is reaching out to Dook, and wont let him reach out to UNC? Lol. I can see the dark side blocking communication.

He may not be on dooks short list but we all know that if they were to offer(down the road), we would not be far behind. Kansas has already offered, so he is not undiscovered(holds 10/12 offers).

Carolina had a great class this year and we needed it greatly. Roy needs to string together several great classes to reclaim our status with the dooks, Kansas, and Kentuckys. Very few top 40 players state publicly their dream school. Carolina is his and for whatever reason, we have no interest. Its just puzzling.

He is a well known commodity. I am sure they are totally familiar with him. They will try to attract the products they want most with a multi million process to recruit. They are fully aware of him.

Many "dream school" kids go elsewhere. Look at all the blueblood schools fans who cry about, but he said he loved Kentucky, Kansas, or whoever, but signed for the best fit. They are a dime a dozen. The recruiting process is BIG business.

The same questions ever year. Why isn't Roy on this one, or that one.Then it turns out they were going G league or had handlers or got paid to play. Some of you guys probably still want Joey "Splinter" Baker. Roy knows what he is doing. Nothing he can control is left to chance.

He is playing 3D Chess and no one else here even has a checkerboard. :D

He is a well known commodity. I am sure they are totally familiar with him. They will try to attract the products they want most with a multi million process to recruit. They are fully aware of him.

Many "dream school" kids go elsewhere. Look at all the blueblood schools fans who cry about, but he said he loved Kentucky, Kansas, or whoever, but signed for the best fit. They are a dime a dozen. The recruiting process is BIG business.

You could be correct in familiarity to a degree and other perceived player options(Keels, a UVA 100% crystal ball prediction) have eliminated Roys interest in Trey. We have not had the prototypical great shooter at the 2 in several years (we have missed and had to fall back/settle for lesser rated players Platek, Robinson,Kenny Williams ). Seems we would be all over this top 40 recruit, but I can tell you we are not. Just sayin.

Sure most recruits are going to say they love the blue bloods but players do, go to the "dream school" especially if they are offered and a perceived fit. We lost Wendall Moore on the day of Late Night w/Roy when his dream school offered at the last minute before that evening. Carolina was a way better fit for Wendell. They had Hurt, Baker, Stanley, DeLaurier, Jack White; didn't matter. If we had been Moores dream school, he would be in light blue.

Kendall Marshalls hiring shows a required addition to keep pace in recruiting. So recruiting is big business.

Jaylen Brown comes to mind

Reactions: geddoughton23
Arizona just offered Dunn. Sean Miller is so predictable. He's the type of scum that college basketball needs to rid itself of. Have no idea why the NCAA is taking so long to send them a notice of allegations.

Arizona just offered Dunn. Sean Miller is so predictable. He's the type of scum that college basketball needs to rid itself of. Have no idea why the NCAA is taking so long to send them a notice of allegations.
To be fair, he is originally from AZ and they were even showing interest in him before we were

Reactions: geddoughton23

Miller got the best international player today. Twin brother of another one they landed. 6 international prospects for this class. Looks like he is trying to hide his spending better. As long as Dunns family stays in NC, I think we have the advantage.

Miller got the best international player today. Twin brother of another one they landed. 6 international prospects for this class. Looks like he is trying to hide his spending better. As long as Dunns family stays in NC, I think we have the advantage.
Miller is done, the international guys just don't know it yet.

Reactions: ProfessorOwl
I just googled. Probably Air Force. Pope Field is attached to Ft Bragg and Davis-Monthan Air Force Base is in Tuscon

So Kennedy Chandler transfers? Hmm, perhaps to get a bit of distance between him and recruiting pressures.
His "list " is UNC, Memphis, Tennessee, Duke, and Kentucky. So Sunrise Academy is a trip to see anyone now.

I like what I have seen so far from the Dunn kid, do need to see more but what I have seen so far I maybe like him a touch more than the Styles kid for skill I think translates to the college game. I really like that Italian kid (Brizzi) as well, no matter the comp he has played against, that kid shows me the right stuff. I got a little bit of Lebo vibe in what I have seen from him so far but hard to tell until he plays against higher level comp. I could easy get on board with an offer going out to him now, I just am not yet sure if he is a 2 guard or a PG at our level of play, combo for sure but I suspect he is more a 2 than a point but have not seen enough to be sure.

Last edited:
Might be better option that a 2021 PG
You may be right and I def perked up when I saw who exactly it was. With Chandler likely going elsewhere w Banchero and Sallis being the only other PG offered, it’s not outlandish to think that we’ll get our shot at the Soph. Yeh Brizzi’s on the radar but I’m not too sold on him yet. Would rather go w someone who’s proven to produce at a Power 5 level. Now, wether we’ll get a waiver may be the tricky part and I think that’s what’s so intriguing. We go ahead and get a commit and he doesn’t get a waiver, then we have a PG for next year alongside Davis. But, Roy would much rather run w 2 PG’s on the floor. So if the waiver is cleared, we’re running Love and Nembhard this year.

nowadays with the quick turnover whether transfers or OAD, just get players that can pass and shoot(PG or SG)...the quality of competition is far less than it was(games can still be exciting because the outcome is in doubt the last minutes)...I would not be surprised more kids go the G league route given the difficult economy/and trade war with China

I really believe that the G league impact will be huge for schools like KY and dook and Ariz. They have relied much more on the OAD than perhaps anyone else. We are talking about a limited number of kids that will go to the G league IMO. They are the top 5-10 of HS players. I feel the impact on Carolina will be marginal

Reactions: Tom79
I'm amazed that the NBA has the G League. The NFL is not building a minor league. The NFL loves colleges preparing players and letting the fans get to know the players in college.

The NBA is a good product, but it would be better if we knew the players from their college days. Learning to lead a team also would help a lot of players; particularly guards like fultz, Dennis Smith, and Lonzo Ball

I was going over the depth chart for 21-22 today (no sports zzzz). I continue to believe that this will be a small recruiting class. I'm guessing 2-3 players.

My guess is that 5-6 of the 7 man (including Ant) 2020 class return. Day'ron is the player I am most on the fence about. With 6 players returning, + Black, + Bacot, +Manley??, there simply aren't a lot of holes to fill.

Dontrez fits a hole as a backup PF and a flexible big.

There is another clear need of a PG/CG, which is what Hunter Sallis is being recruited for. I can even see room for Dunn, given that Andrew is graduating.

After that though, I don't see the minutes available for more recruits.

the G league would hurt schools like us more than uk , zona & dook ... they all pay more than G !!!!!!!!!!!!

Roy is after a couple of sophs in HS, that Skyy kid and Andrew N from Florida....always needs guards, especially pg's..

And more in 2022...JP's brother, not sure about him, says he is a Heels fan but since he likes Michigan, who knows..

Seth Trimble, brother of J.P. Tokoto, is a recruit on the rise
Junior guard Seth Trimble is starting to make a name for himself in the 2022 recruiting class. Trimble, a 6-foot-2, 185-pound guard, put up 20 points, 6 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game at Menomonee Falls (Wisc.) High this past season. “I’ve always been a Tar Heel fan so that would be nice but the top school I’d want to hear from is Michigan,” Trimble said. (247 Sports)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT