ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Thread

PG Kennedy Chandler on UNC

North Carolina: "Coach Roy Williams, they call me the most probably out of all of the schools and they are hard on recruiting me. I’ve been watching them for a little while with Coby White and Cole Anthony. They let their guards do what they need to do, get everybody involved, pick-and-rolls, I like the way they run their game.

https://247sports.com/college/baske...s-top-five-timeframe-Ja-Morant-149248939/amp/

He’s also a perfect fit for Roy’s system.

I’m not holding my breath on him - just hoping he doesn’t do the lame thing and go to dook.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Styles had 24 in the Championship game upset win in AAU. Shot 3 - 4 on 3's and 9 -10 at the line. Maybe he is developing a stroke to go along with his slashing strengths.

When their score was at 39, Styles had scored 20 of his teams points. Also, read on the last play they made 5 passes to find the open man and bingo, they won.

sorry I have been mia I know I wasnt missed that much lol but, I just haven't had a lot of info from the guy I talk to. And I didn't want to post vague things he heard just wasn't concrete enough. With that being said I have no inside info on bball recruiting yet so I am here to see if any of you do...

I watched the game online. He was outstanding.

His shot from deep, while it went in a few times during that game, looks pretty bad. But again, I've only seen clips. Any comments here?

I do like that he was nailing them from the stripe.

I heard he was dealing with cramps in the second half and that's why he didn't do as much after the break. Is that your read?

Yeah, I actually don't remember him shooting at all in the 2nd half but to me it just looked like it was because they started doubling him immediately on the catch so he did the right thing and quickly passed out of it. Maybe he was cramping? Would explain him not being as aggressive.

His shot from deep, while it went in a few times during that game, looks pretty bad. But again, I've only seen clips. Any comments here?

I do like that he was nailing them from the stripe.

I like his shot visually actually. Without getting all coach mafia here, the things I look for are 1. is he balanced, does he come straight up and straight down? He does. 2. Is it repeatable? It is.

And yeah you said it, it's hard to fake 9-10 from the line. His shoot has really improved.

I also like how many moves he has already. His step back and fadeaway are both high level D1 ready and he loves contact when driving to the rim.

I really came away impressed. I'd be surprised if there are 30 guys better than him in the 2021 class.

Yeah, I actually don't remember him shooting at all in the 2nd half but to me it just looked like it was because they started doubling him immediately on the catch so he did the right thing and quickly passed out of it. Maybe he was cramping? Would explain him not being as aggressive.

I like his shot visually actually. Without getting all coach mafia here, the things I look for are 1. is he balanced, does he come straight up and straight down? He does. 2. Is it repeatable? It is.

And yeah you said it, it's hard to fake 9-10 from the line. His shoot has really improved.

I also like how many moves he has already. His step back and fadeaway are both high level D1 ready and he loves contact when driving to the rim.

I really came away impressed. I'd be surprised if there are 30 guys better than him in the 2021 class.

All fantastic to hear.

and he loves contact when driving to the rim.

Yes. I've heard and read this about him. That's what made me fall in love with the kid, especially if playing the 3 spot. I like rugged wing players especially in a day and age of soft guys. I get off on guys that look for contact because they know they're physically stronger and can bully defenders. He look to have a strong almost college ready physique.

I wish you and I talked more basketball and less on OOTB. I will make an effort for that to be the case.

All fantastic to hear.

Yes. I've heard and read this about him. That's what made me fall in love with the kid, especially if playing the 3 spot. I like rugged wing players especially in a day and age of soft guys. I get off on guys that look for contact because they know they're physically stronger and can bully defenders. He look to have a strong almost college ready physique.

Definitely. It's crazy how just being able to use your body the right way makes a player so much better. Bullock and Barnes are the two wings that stick out to me that really did that well and had the frame to just knock defenders around.

I wish you and I talked more basketball and less on OOTB. I will make an effort for that to be the case.

Same.

I've heard UNC is also talking to Lucas Taylor, a 2/3 who plays with D'marco Dunn.

I wonder if its a coronavirus effect. Hes local talent who is probably already familiar with Chapel Hill. I've heard the trouble with Sallis is that he wants to visit wherever he commits, which is obviously problematic.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt that he's also blowing up rn and getting a ton of offers.

Interesting offer. He's the epitome of a college player imo. Big enough, and very skilled. Great handles and very patient around the basket. Plus it looks like he can shoot.

But he's not an athlete, and he is really skinny.

He would be a very good player for UNC imo. Definitely a good match for the offense we run.

Honestly, I'd probably rather have 3-4 years of Kaufman than 1 year of Smith.

Last edited:
Too bad Indiana fired Crean. Poaching recruits from Indiana was like taking candy from a baby while he was there.

Haven't seen much of him lately, like most since Covid. He seemed like a solid banger, good post,but a 6'8 power forward. A lesser version of Furst (also from Indiana) who we were on hard before he chose Purdue, and I would of loved.

I just didn't think he would be a target for us like Furst was. Indiana and Louisville seem to have a leg up, but Louisville's issues ( in his backyard) may be key to him leaving the area.

He's good, just didn't think he would be A UNC big type target.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Sk1310
He looks like the perfect modern recruit. He seems like a pleasant young man in the interview I watched. A four year player who would start as a junior
I've heard all good things about the kid, not trying to downgrade him at all. Just didn't seem like a prospect for playing the 3, maybe he can develop some 3 skills, and maybe he grows a bit and fills out? For A UNC type 4 I think there may be some bigger bodies who would fill that roll.

IU is in heavy on keeping him in state, he should be a good college player, I agree.

Archie Miller hasn't done anything since he got to IU.
They have struggled mightily on the court. He did keep Jackson-Davis home last year, after keeping Romeo. Huge get in Lander, who is from the same area as Kaufman on the Kentucky border(Louisville's NCAA issues may be helping there).

Archie and the alumni are making a concerted effort to try to keep the in state blue chip targets.

Archie Miller hasn't done anything since he got to IU.

as dtodd said, they have done a decent job recruiting their state, even if that hasn't translated to on the court success. They were as bad as Minnesota is now. Possibly worse. (I think Crean was like 0 for 17 or somewhere along those lines)

Tid bit on Jaden Bradley I picked up last nite: May be hard to pull him in if UK were to get involved. Dream school growing up. However, if they don’t, we’ll have a VERY good shot

Two centers out there Bittle and Wheeler, Bittle is top 20 and Wheeler is rated a four star. Too late to become a new dance partner but is seems every recruiting season there are always players still out there.

Two centers out there Bittle and Wheeler, Bittle is top 20 and Wheeler is rated a four star. Too late to become a new dance partner but is seems every recruiting season there are always players still out there.
Will we need a Center?

Dayron, Armando, Walker, and Sterling can all play the 5. At worst we will have 3/4 back next year. It's our deepest position currently.

Correct Professor, our UNC needs are at other positions, my point being there always seem to be pretty good players out there every season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT