ADVERTISEMENT

A few things...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and look, as for the NIT thing, my personal default is to always play. With that said, I totally "get" the other side of that argument in this case. I'm not even gonna weigh in on that. All I want to do here is offer some larrger perspective without talking too much out of school.

The only way I know to do that is to point to some scenarios that (I hope) the reasonable posters on here will "get".

1. I stand by what I've said all season --- there's a difference between critiquing and bashing, and it's an important one.
- on one hand --- please know that last season's NCAAT run was NOT a fluke. It was a DIRECT product of a couple of adroit coaching moves. Tarheel75 and I had a conversation about this the other day, BTW, and the run started with a tweak in how we initiated our offense in the last regular season dook game (to compensate for not having a PG). And that was quickly coupled with a subtle tweak in how we deployed Manek. Thus... the 30 games-worth of film opponents had to scout us was suddenly worthless --- hell, we burned K and dook TWICE with the same tweaks. (BTW, Do NOT underestimate Brady's impact --- if we don't lose him in the Final we win the Natty)

2. Unfortunately, this season Brady was gone (and please don't try to tell me Pete replaced his impact), plus opponents had a whole summer to scout our NCAAT film. So much for the tweaks... and the weaknesses those temporarily covered, well... didn't go away.

3. Now, here's where I hope the good folks here will catch my drift --- IMO, the program would have better off in the long run had most (if not all) of the rest of the starters also moved on. Hubert and staff could've had a true rebuilding season to freshly reinstill Carolina principles, something that, frankly, just wasn't doable with this roster. Without ;pointing fingers at individuals, this staff inherited a roster last season that was a proverbial island of misfit toys vis-a-vis Carolina basketball --- some of that was a product of previous recruiting glitches and Roy trying to turn Combos into PGs (just no), and some was just happenstance --- but it was what it was. And yes, Hubert was right in saying there was a lot of "outside noise" to boot. And BTW, that noise didn't have a damned thing to do with Sports Illustrated or the like --- it was closer to home, IYKWIM. In a nutshell, this was NOT an easy team to coach.

4. WITH ALL THAT SAID, pulling no punches, Hubert had a BAD sophomore campaign. We played "not to lose" as opposed to making solid strides for the long haul (bench, etc), and tried to accomodate certain players as opposed to enforcing the best system ever invented. The unfortunate 5-out experiment was just a bad idea from the get-go. Full-on Carolina basketball needs to return, come hell or high water (or players' feelings), starting now.

Finally, remember though, that Roy and even Dean had rough coaching seasons. The key is, they recovered and learned. We should ALL be hoping Hubert follows suit. Bur sadly, some here are not. This post is for those who are.
On that note, I'm posting this now because the transfer portal opens tomorrow., so I hope the annual end-o-season player debriefings happen PRONTO. The good news is that in the long run, our recruiting is very STRONG, but in the short term, we need to bring back enough of the right guys to rebuild the base of Carolina basketball... and Lord above, please bring me a PG... and I'll leave it at that.
Have a good night...

Last edited:
Gary, appreciate your takes always. One thing that keeps poking at me about last year is the idea that the best adjustment to the team was when Dawson left…not to take a swipe at the kid but forcing Brady into a larger role obviously played a part in improvement. I can’t help but wonder if we ever would have gotten all that Brady contributed otherwise which makes me less comfortable with Hubert’s portion of the credit. While I was in the Wes camp I love all the intangibles HD brings and want him to succeed fully.

Reactions: tarwhiz and gary-7
Gary, appreciate your takes always. One thing that keeps poking at me about last year is the idea that the best adjustment to the team was when Dawson left…not to take a swipe at the kid but forcing Brady into a larger role obviously played a part in improvement. I can’t help but wonder if we ever would have gotten all that Brady contributed otherwise which makes me less comfortable with Hubert’s portion of the credit. While I was in the Wes camp I love all the intangibles HD brings and want him to succeed fully.
That's a great point, and speaks to the dilemma, i.e., some guys fit, and some don't. Dawson looked good on paper, but did not fit. And yeah, him leaving ultimately opened the door for Brady to shine.

Going to have to bring in more skill.

Have more guards that can break down their defender off the bounce. Caleb and RJ don’t really do that well.

Have more guards that can make perimeter shots. Have more wings that can make perimeter shots.

More skill at the 4. More depth at the 5. Would eventually love more rim presence at the 5.

Most important, have guys who don’t need the ball to be effective in a game. Affect games in multiple ways, not just scoring.

Look, this year we sucked because we were a 3 point reliant team that sucked at shooting 3’s. We did a lot of things actually better than last year offensively. We nose dived on 3 point shooting and assist rate (partly because we couldnt shoot it).

I think it was more of a player issue. We’ll see what the roster looks like next year. If a guy or 2 returns, I think we’ll know it’ll be another frustrating year for the same reasons. If it’s a new team, then we’ll see how Hubert wants to play.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Gary, you said "IMO, the program would have better off in the long run had most (if not all) of the rest of the starters also moved on." Do you have any insight into whether this is going happen now? My biggest fear is that the player or players that have been causing the chemistry issues on this team come back because they no longer have any NBA prospects or transfer opportunities and next year is another "run it back" year with the same chemistry problems.

Reactions: Archer2 and gary-7
Thanks for your insights, Gary. You hit many nails with a sledgehammer. When l watch teams with true point
guards who dribble for the purpose of probing, seeking passing angles for teammates who are moving without
the ball, or driving, drawing, and dishing, our inefficiencies becomes even more glaring.
We missed so many shots this season because they weren’t being taken within the flow of any offense.
Our rhythm was so discordant. Our bench never developed, therefore the starters got fatigued late in games.
Hence, we lost more than half a dozen games in which we had the lead but couldn’t finish.
Here’s hoping that eight months from now we are ready to play Carolina basketball as it’s meant to be
played with whomever is on the roster.

3. Now, here's where I hope the good folks here will catch my drift --- IMO, the program would have better off in the long run had most (if not all) of the rest of the starters also moved on. Hubert and staff could've had a true rebuilding season to freshly reinstill Carolina principles, something that, frankly, just wasn't doable with this roster.
So the $1M question is two fold, will the staff go back to Carolina principles and who will run point? For the point guard will it be a freshman or a transfer? Either way it will be bumpy I suspect.

Reactions: gary-7
My question is if Garcia does not take that leave from the team does the staff cut his minutes so drastically and make Manek more a focus? Were the tweaks done out of necessity with altering the rotation or coaching strategy?

All season (well maybe last 2/3's) we heard Hubert discussing offensive changes but nothing changed on the floor on a consistent basis. Either those changes (A) were so minute that nothing was noticeable, (B) it was all coaching bs and nothing changed or (C) changes implemented in practice were not carried into games. If A then why bother, if B then the staff did not believe anything was wrong with the offense. If C then there was zero accountability and pretty much showed the players on the bench that practice doesn't matter and Hubert was not sitting his main players no matter what.

None of those 3 bode well for an inexperienced HC trying to put a blue blood program back on top.

Reactions: Heelicious
That's a great point, and speaks to the dilemma, i.e., some guys fit, and some don't. Dawson looked good on paper, but did not fit. And yeah, him leaving ultimately opened the door for Brady to shine.
If he coach sees what all he should see and then acts on it, it does not take a player leaving for the coach to get the right guy playing and the wrong guy seated.

Gary, you said "IMO, the program would have better off in the long run had most (if not all) of the rest of the starters also moved on." Do you have any insight into whether this is going happen now? My biggest fear is that the player or players that have been causing the chemistry issues on this team come back because they no longer have any NBA prospects or transfer opportunities and next year is another "run it back" year with the same chemistry problems.
If a coach is rightly in charge, players are not allowed to cause chemistry issues. They are benched.

I said that about Dean in '94 when he allowed the arrogant bad attitudes of McInnis, Wallace, and Stackhouse to ruin the chemistry of team that just win the National Championship and returned 4 starters.

Going to have to bring in more skill.

Have more guards that can break down their defender off the bounce. Caleb and RJ don’t really do that well.

Have more guards that can make perimeter shots. Have more wings that can make perimeter shots.

More skill at the 4. More depth at the 5. Would eventually love more rim presence at the 5.

Most important, have guys who don’t need the ball to be effective in a game. Affect games in multiple ways, not just scoring.

Look, this year we sucked because we were a 3 point reliant team that sucked at shooting 3’s. We did a lot of things actually better than last year offensively. We nose dived on 3 point shooting and assist rate (partly because we couldnt shoot it).

I think it was more of a player issue. We’ll see what the roster looks like next year. If a guy or 2 returns, I think we’ll know it’ll be another frustrating year for the same reasons. If it’s a new team, then we’ll see how Hubert wants to play.
Plain and simple we need better and more athletes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: tarwhiz
I'm hoping..
1. Simeon Welcher comes in and gets heavy minutes from the jump as we need a PG developed immediately.
2. Jalen works all summer on his strength and conditioning.
3. Caleb moves on the chase his dreams.
4. HD figures out what to do with Puff.
5. Keep Dunn out of the portal. I believe Styles is gone. unfortunately.
6. Drake Powell doesn't get waisted his freshman year.. kid is a beast.
7. Gary-7 starts his own Youtube Tar Heel channel.

My question is if Garcia does not take that leave from the team does the staff cut his minutes so drastically and make Manek more a focus? Were the tweaks done out of necessity with altering the rotation or coaching strategy?

All season (well maybe last 2/3's) we heard Hubert discussing offensive changes but nothing changed on the floor on a consistent basis. Either those changes (A) were so minute that nothing was noticeable, (B) it was all coaching bs and nothing changed or (C) changes implemented in practice were not carried into games. If A then why bother, if B then the staff did not believe anything was wrong with the offense. If C then there was zero accountability and pretty much showed the players on the bench that practice doesn't matter and Hubert was not sitting his main players no matter what.

None of those 3 bode well for an inexperienced HC trying to put a blue blood program back on top.
Hubert actually did make some major changes as this season went along, he went from a 5 out look to a 4 out look to more of a high low traditional look. Problem was making so many changes left players confused. Bottom line was a lack of consistent offense from the 3 and 4 spots. You can not run an offense that depends on spreading the floor to spread the defense if the defense ignores 2 of your 5 players and those 2 guys do not burn the defenses for giving them room.

Hubert's messaging in PCs, wow, that was bad, that was really bad. Honestly, all I heard early season was the problem was communication, heard that a lot from Mack Brown to, makes me think that if I don't know what to say just throw out communication as a catch all. WE just need to make some tweeks and we will be fine, still waiting on those tweeks that made it better? I was proud of how hard they played when the players had just told reporters, I don't know why we didn't come out ready to match the other teams intensity? That is a easy way to lose the faith of those that support you...

Reactions: Heelicious
Someone mentioned players who don't need the ball in their hands constantly to be somewhat effective. I agree. MOVING THE BALL with purpose is what creates good shots and assists. That is my hope for next year.

I think there were serious locker room issues all year long. Which would kind of explain HDs terrible press conferences. He isn't going to publicly air dirty laundry ... so he makes comments that mean nothing. He says how proud he is of everyone and how much he loves them. But the chemistry issues persisted all year long and I think the players are glad the season is over.
I don't know who/what the problems are/were ... but the need for Love/RJ to try to convince everyone that there wasn't a problem makes me think they had a problem ... pure speculation on my part.
We need a drastically altered roster next year ... and HD is now under serious pressure to succeed ... so I again expect very little bench production next year because HD is gonna be scared to put subs in for fear that we might lose. The program is not looking good right now. But things go in cycles .... and I look forward to the day when UNC basketball is fun again. Go Heels !!!

Hubert's messaging in PCs, wow, that was bad, that was really bad. Honestly, all I heard early season was the problem was communication, heard that a lot from Mack Brown to, makes me think that if I don't know what to say just throw out communication as a catch all. WE just need to make some tweeks and we will be fine, still waiting on those tweeks that made it better? I was proud of how hard they played when the players had just told reporters, I don't know why we didn't come out ready to match the other teams intensity? That is a easy way to lose the faith of those that support you...
The difference is that Mack could sell ice to an Eskimo. I'm not sure Hubert could sell steak to a starving man.

• Haha
Reactions: strummingram
I didn't want to get into individuals, but I appreciate the question. I'm sure you and most here have your respective ideas in that regard, IYKWIM ;)

Without being too evasive, there's an old coaching adage ---
Some chemistry issues are caused by attitudes and some are caused by attributes
We had both issues to varying degrees.

So the $1M question is two fold, will the staff go back to Carolina principles and who will run point? For the point guard will it be a freshman or a transfer? Either way it will be bumpy I suspect.
Well, it absolutely needs to be one or the other. We CANNOT stand pat at the 1.

And if it's the (right) transfer or Cadeau early, I feel safe in saying it will be SILK compared to what we've seen the past 2 seasons.

Bub, all I can tell ya is that the staff was continually frustrated with the differences between what went on in practice and what happened in games. I hear ya and agree on the accountability thing, but as I tried to convey in the OP, it was MORE about the reality that some rosters just don't work.

As a coach you can put bandaids on it (as we did to make our tourney run last season), but when somebody finally rips that bandaid off, the oozing wound is still there.

One last thing about accountability --- the staff had several internal discussions about that, BTW --- but consider that they were in the middle of recruiting battles that would DEFINE AND REBUILD THE PROGRAM MOVING FORWARD, and benching starters and airing dysfunction is something that can affect that, like it or not.

In a nutshell, they ended up bting the bullet to get through ths season. And I think it's fair to say those recruiting battles worked out pretty dadgummed well for us.

If he coach sees what all he should see and then acts on it, it does not take a player leaving for the coach to get the right guy playing and the wrong guy seated.
There was "handwriting on the wall" that contributed to Dawson leaving. He was given every chance, but came up wanting. That handwriting came from the staff, and the right guy assumed the role.

If a coach is rightly in charge, players are not allowed to cause chemistry issues. They are benched.

I said that about Dean in '94 when he allowed the arrogant bad attitudes of McInnis, Wallace, and Stackhouse to ruin the chemistry of team that just win the National Championship and returned 4 starters.
That is a great example ttat actually speaks to the point I'm trying to convey, i.e. that (absolutely loaded) team had chemistry issues that even the great Dean E. Smith had trouble wrangling.

You're suggesting there was a simple solution. I would argue there was not.

Reactions: plm
I'm hoping..
1. Simeon Welcher comes in and gets heavy minutes from the jump as we need a PG developed immediately.
Thanks brother, and you just might get wishes 2 thru 6. Unfortunately Wilcher is another (talented) Combo.

Reactions: ACokeForRoy
Bub, all I can tell ya is that the staff was continually frustrated with the differences between what went on in practice and what happened in games. I hear ya and agree on the accountability thing, but as I tried to convey in the OP, it was MORE about the reality that some rosters just don't work.

As a coach you can put bandaids on it (as we did to make our tourney run last season), but when somebody finally rips that bandaid off, the oozing wound is still there.

One last thing about accountability --- the staff had several internal discussions about that, BTW --- but consider that they were in the middle of recruiting battles that would DEFINE AND REBUILD THE PROGRAM MOVING FORWARD, and benching starters and airing dysfunction is something that can affect that, like it or not.

In a nutshell, they ended up bting the bullet to get through ths season. And I think it's fair to say those recruiting battles worked out pretty dadgummed well for us.
I can see protecting the recruiting process. But as a recruit, they saw an attempt at showing the NBA what they can do all season in 1 player on this roster. That in itself can be poisonous to the recruits. I doubt they know all the dysfunction issues either. HD needed to do better. I never saw progression this year and that reflected what the team did in the off season. What value does building a NIL portfolio during the off season, and then lay eggs from game 1. Again, HD had to adjust the team himself and mask deficiency better than what he did. The next few weeks will tell us who and what happened.

I can see protecting the recruiting process. But as a recruit, they saw an attempt at showing the NBA what they can do all season in 1 player on this roster. That in itself can be poisonous to the recruits. I doubt they know all the dysfunction issues either. HD needed to do better. I never saw progression this year and that reflected what the team did in the off season. What value does building a NIL portfolio during the off season, and then lay eggs from game 1. Again, HD had to adjust the team himself and mask deficiency better than what he did. The next few weeks will tell us who and what happened.
Ian Jackson is the most talented recruit to commit to UNC since Harrison Barnes. Ironically, allowing Caleb the freedom to play "his game" is what landed us Jackson.

I'm hoping..
Wilcher is NOT a point guard

Ian Jackson is the most talented recruit to commit to UNC since Harrison Barnes. Ironically, allowing Caleb the freedom to play "his game" is what landed us Jackson.
Which poses the next question, How well did that work out? Are we now a NIL and 1&D factory? There was very little team ball played this year

Which poses the next question, How well did that work out? Are we now a NIL and 1&D factory? There was very little team ball played this year
We'll find out after Ian Jackson has played here.

NIL is a part of every program.

What do you consider a 1&D factory? We had 1&D players in 2005, 2007, 2017, 2019 (2,) 2020, and 2021. Does landing two one & done players in Cadeau and Jackson make us a factory?

Reactions: r_u_worthy
That is a great example ttat actually speaks to the point I'm trying to convey, i.e. that (absolutely loaded) team had chemistry issues that even the great Dean E. Smith had trouble wrangling.

You're suggesting there was a simple solution. I would argue there was not.

this. at the end of the day as bad as this feels now in 10 years no one really remembers this but beating K in his last home game and in his last game in the final four will live on forever! appreciate caleb, mondo, leaky, and davis even though as a unit they may not be the best 4 players to resemble the carolina way of basketball.

Last edited:
Thanks brother, and you just might get wishes 2 thru 6. Unfortunately Wilcher is another (talented) Combo.
Any thoughts as to what our recruiting board looks like then? By my count that's 4 of our last 5 recruited guards (Love, RJ, Trimble, Wilcher -- Dunn being the only exception) who are combos, with no traditional point guard and none being great at the 2. What is the point of overloading on combos?

Do we not worry about position too much at the HS level? And if so, is that changing? I hope so as we've now been without a PG for the last three seasons, and without adequate rim protection for two of them. Meanwhile there's tons of combo guards and 6-7 to 6-9 forwards (who can't shoot...) on the team.

We'll find out after Ian Jackson has played here.

NIL is a part of every program.

What do you consider a 1&D factory? We had 1&D players in 2005, 2007, 2017, 2019 (2,) 2020, and 2021. Does landing two one & done players in Cadeau and Jackson make us a factory?
Our success has flourished with vets and a small mix of 1 year players under roy. HD we have no measure.
Dook and K was proof enough that system doesn't work.
FYI, I am fine with the stud players. Just don't care for the likes of people who think they are above the program or are the program.

I wouldn't project that goiong forward. I would be shocked and disappointed if there's not a reset in that regard.

Any thoughts as to what our recruiting board looks like then? By my count that's 4 of our last 5 recruited guards (Love, RJ, Trimble, Wilcher -- Dunn being the only exception) who are combos, with no traditional point guard and none being great at the 2. What is the point of overloading on combos?

Do we not worry about position too much at the HS level? And if so, is that changing? I hope so as we've now been without a PG for the last three seasons, and without adequate rim protection for two of them. Meanwhile there's tons of combo guards and 6-7 to 6-9 forwards (who can't shoot...) on the team.
Actually, for all the "positionless" rhetoric out there. when it comes to PG, that position just can't be fudged --- not here, anyway. There's just no future in counting on finding a rare Combo who can actually play it correctly.

I got blasted for it, but i tried to tell folks that Seth would not fill the gap from the Bradley miss. As should be flamingly obvious now, Seth is a Combo trying his best to learn Point. Hopefully he'll eventually get to a Dexter Strickland level there.

On the good news front. Cadeau becomes THE most important recruit of Huibert's young regime. He is the next great UNC PG, and needs to be handed the rock as soon as we gets here.

I wouldn't project that goiong forward. I would be shocked and disappointed if there's not a reset in that regard.
Given how this year has went, we need a reset. But be ready to be shocked and disappointed. I thought by game 5 they would have learned.

Actually, for all the "positionless" rhetoric out there. when it comes to PG, that position just can't be fudged --- not here, anyway. There's just no future in counting on finding a rare Combo who can actually play it correctly.

I got blasted for it, but i tried to tell folks that Seth would not fill the gap from the Bradley miss. As should be flamingly obvious now, Seth is a Combo trying his best to learn Point. Hopefully he'll eventually get to a Dexter Strickland level there.

On the good news front. Cadeau becomes THE most important recruit of Huibert's young regime. He is the next great UNC PG, and needs to be handed the rock as soon as we gets here.
It seems like a really underrated value of "UNC PG's" is most of them could shoot the ball. Raymond Felton and Lawson were 35% 3-point shooters as freshman. Paige could shoot. Berry could shoot. Marshall couldn't, but played with 4 NBA players.

Whether you want a "true PG" or a "Carolina PG" or a good combo PG... They need to be a respectable shooter. If they aren't, they better either play with a bunch of pros or they better be ridiculously good in everything other than shooting. But I think if they're shooting zeroes, that limitation will ultimately be part of a downfall.

I have a bad feeling about Seth. He literally cannot shoot the ball. I don't know where that fits into any rotation unless he's a DPOY type of defender.

If Caleb shot it 37% this year like he did last year, we'd have a completely different conversation right now. We may still have been disappointing relative to a preseason #1 ranking, but I think we're talking a handful more wins and some hope for March.

Given how this year has went, we need a reset. But be ready to be shocked and disappointed. I thought by game 5 they would have learned.
I get the angst, but I fear you're missing my point: A successful reset was just NOT going to happen with this roster.

As I understand it, the staff intends to return to their Carolina roots moving forward. With that said, if they do NOT learn and reset, then it's time to become concerned.

Reactions: Oak ridger
It seems like a really underrated value of "UNC PG's" is most of them could shoot the ball. Raymond Felton and Lawson were 35% 3-point shooters as freshman. Paige could shoot. Berry could shoot. Marshall couldn't, but played with 4 NBA players.

Whether you want a "true PG" or a "Carolina PG" or a good combo PG... They need to be a respectable shooter. If they aren't, they better either play with a bunch of pros or they better be ridiculously good in everything other than shooting. But I think if they're shooting zeroes, that limitation will ultimately be part of a downfall.

I have a bad feeling about Seth. He literally cannot shoot the ball. I don't know where that fits into any rotation unless he's a DPOY type of defender.

If Caleb shot it 37% this year like he did last year, we'd have a completely different conversation right now. We may still have been disappointing relative to a preseason #1 ranking, but I think we're talking a handful more wins and some hope for March.
I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't go that far. Hell, even a pass-first-but-weak-shooting PG would've helped this team. A PG makes the offense function, moves the defense and gets the ball to go to the righht places. Thus, better shots ensue. amd thus, better shooting % all around. I also lost count of the sheer number of open men who were missed by our Guards for layups or easy looks. That doesn't happen with any of the PGs you mentioned, and that alone likely gets us 3-5 more wins.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't go that far. Hell, even a pass-first-but-weak-shooting PG would've helped this team. A PG makes the offense function, moves the defense and gets the ball to go to the righht places. Thus, better shots ensue. amd thus, better shooting % all around. I also lost count of the sheer number of open men who were missed by our Guards for layups or easy looks. That doesn't happen with any pf the PGs you mentioned, and that alone likely gets us 3-5 more wins.
We’ve all seen teams fall apart when their coach on the court PG fouls out late in a game. We had stretches like that in every game for the same reason, especially in crunch time.

I get the angst, but I fear you're missing my point: A successful reset was just NOT going to happen with this roster.

As I understand it, the staff intends to return to their Carolina roots moving forward. With that said, if they do NOT learn and reset, then it's time to become concerned.
Hope you are hearing correct on returning to a successful plan of attack via the Carolina way.

The exodus has started regarding the younger players with Nickel apparently entering the portal.

Nickel and McCoy in portal. McCoy leaving is more then fine .. Tyler was intriguing for his reported ability to shoot well (even though never really doing it in game) but he was soooo bad defensively not sure he would have ever gotten big minutes and maybe this keeps styles from transferring which is good

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT