ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Aside for the letters, what's the difference between trusting science and trusting a scientist? What do you think people mean when referring to "trust science" vs "trust this scientist"?

Well a scientist subscribes to a particular science. Therefore, there is no difference. Unless of course one does not like the science that a particular scientist promotes and then that liberal will attempt to play word games to justify their idiotic take.

That mask demonstration might have been a little more convincing if the dude wouldn't have been breathing as if he'd just finished running a marathon or trying to blow out a 100 candle birthday cake.

• Haha
Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Ok.. so since you have the answers help with two others. Why does the basketball team sit 6 feet apart after exchanging sweat on the court? Why do you have to wear the mask into and out of the restaurant but at the table is safe?

What the f*ck do either of those examples have to do with the effectiveness of masks? But fine, I’ll bite.

Its really not that hard. The players stay spread out on the bench for optics. Managing those optics helps keep things like basketball going. It’s a token gesture that indicates that they acknowledge the pandemic. And it has virtually no impact on the game so f*ck it.

The combination of social distancing and masks is an effective combo. When you walk to your table you pass other people’s tables. Once you’re seated, there are usually not other tables within 6-8 feet. Unless you go to some redneck shithole where they think COVID is a liberal plot to take control of the populace by making them wear masks.

What the f*ck do either of those examples have to do with the effectiveness of masks? But fine, I’ll bite.

Its really not that hard. The players stay spread out on the bench for optics. Managing those optics helps keep things like basketball going. It’s a token gesture that indicates that they acknowledge the pandemic. And it has virtually no impact on the game so f*ck it.

The combination of social distancing and masks is an effective combo. When you walk to your table you pass other people’s tables. Once you’re seated, there are usually not other tables within 6-8 feet. Unless you go to some redneck shithole where they think COVID is a liberal plot to take control of the populace by making them wear masks.

Well I will at least give you credit for attempting to answer the questions. Thanks

This seems like a reasonable answer. However, I have some follow up questions.

So after I'm seated at my table and I take off my mask, when I breathe, I assume the water droplets that can only go 6-8 feet in the air, will fall to the ground. What happens to the virus then? Does it just go away? Or could the servers, walk across the virus particles resting on the floor, pick up the virus on their shoes and carry the virus particles back to their home? The reason I ask is because just up above, someone mentioned that the virus can get on someone's clothes through conversation and it could be carried back home. So just so I'm clear on the capabilities of this virus, is my scenario above realistic?

TIA

Reactions: uncfootball-
Well I will at least give you credit for attempting to answer the questions. Thanks

You and everyone else here have heard those answers a million times. You choose not to accept them because for some weird reason mask usage became a political issue. It's not a coincidence that the same people who think masks don't work also think that climate change is a hoax. Everything is a government plot to take control.

Meanwhile there are pro-life protesters in Asheville refusing to wear masks and getting in the faces of pregnant women to harass them as they enter/leave healthcare facilities.

Reactions: strummingram
Meanwhile there are pro-life protesters in Asheville refusing to wear masks and getting in the faces of pregnant women to harass them as they enter/leave healthcare facilities.

They were going to kill their baby anyway. Just let the COVID spreading pro-lifers shout some COVID droplets at them and they won't even have to go in and spread their legs.

See, I'm a problem solver by nature.

You and everyone else here have heard those answers a million times. You choose not to accept them because for some weird reason mask usage became a political issue. It's not a coincidence that the same people who think masks don't work also think that climate change is a hoax. Everything is a government plot to take control.

Just be clear.. you are saying the school has players sitting 6 feet apart to give the illusion they are trying to keep them safe so they can play a game instead of actually trying to keep them safe?

Edit to add: I do believe in climate change. I read the average high in Raleigh in the 1950's was 71.2 degrees. The average high in Raleigh in the 2010's was 72.2 degrees. So there you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: gunslingerdick
Ok.. so since you have the answers help with two others. Why does the basketball team sit 6 feet apart after exchanging sweat on the court? Why do you have to wear the mask into and out of the restaurant but at the table is safe?
Neither is considered masking, you know that right?

Or are you just asking if those things are good "social distancing"? The general scientific community who studies this stuff is abhorred by indoor dining because it is indoor, maskless, often near strangers or large count of people and lengthy time-wise.

Opinions are mixed about indoor hoop, but the reason it is allowed is the same reason indoor dining is allowed - economics (and optics).

Last edited:
Well a scientist subscribes to a particular science. Therefore, there is no difference. Unless of course one does not like the science that a particular scientist promotes and then that liberal will attempt to play word games to justify their idiotic take.
You realize science involves hypotheses and theories, right?

Or do you think any sole PhD's favorite crackerjack anecdote is scientific law?

Last edited:
Just be clear.. you are saying the school has players sitting 6 feet apart to give the illusion they are trying to keep them safe so they can play a game instead of actually trying to keep them safe?

Edit to add: I do believe in climate change. I read the average high in Raleigh in the 1950's was 71.2 degrees. The average high in Raleigh in the 2010's was 72.2 degrees. So there you go.

I’m saying that if the news bombarded people with images of players sitting in close quarters to each other on the bench like they normally would, it would be much more likely that the season would get stopped early. I don’t think it’s a conscious decision to be manipulative. It’s just one thing that can be done at virtually no cost and even that gets bitched about.

You realize science involves hypotheses and theories, right?

Or do you think any sole PhD's favorite crackerjack anecdote is scientific law?

So you only believe the ones who's hypotheses match your beliefs? How many scientists have to agree on something before you believe it?

So you only believe the ones who's hypotheses match your beliefs? How many scientists have to agree on something before you believe it?
I wouldn't have a belief on the hypothesis since i'm not studying the data and testing the hypothesis repeatedly. I'm skeptical until normally skeptical scientists are no longer skeptical or the majority are in agreement.

Then you would have particles all over the outside of your mask to take home. And on your face, your clothes, or anywhere else. The idea is for everyone to wear a mask to catch the particles on the way out so that less of them get spread around in the first place. As much as I would like to be nice, this has been explained 50 times on this board so anybody who doesn't understand it at this point is a f*cking moron.

keep on sheepin!

I wouldn't have a belief on the hypothesis since i'm not studying the data and testing the hypothesis repeatedly. I'm skeptical until normally skeptical scientists are no longer skeptical or the majority are in agreement.

Great nonanswer. Exactly what I expected.

keep on sheepin!

Right. And then I asked about sitting at a table in a restaurant and taking your mask off and how those particles have to end up somewhere (the floor) and how people could just as easily pick them up on their shoes and pants and take them home but that sadly got no response. I think uncboy has put me on ignore. But his minion @blazers doesn't want to tackle that one either.

• Haha
Reactions: bleeduncblue
I’m saying that if the news bombarded people with images of players sitting in close quarters to each other on the bench like they normally would, it would be much more likely that the season would get stopped early. I don’t think it’s a conscious decision to be manipulative. It’s just one thing that can be done at virtually no cost and even that gets bitched about.

So sitting close to each other AFTER coming off the floor would be too much to handle. Crazy world.

if masks worked the spread of Covid would have slowed down drastically over the summer and fall. the vast majority of people were wearing them everywhere in public. instead it went the other direction. you can have an opinion but the data speaks for itself. not a lab experiment... the 200 million person experiment.

Great nonanswer. Exactly what I expected.
I'm sorry you don't understand that "trust science" doesn't mean "trust every scientist who says offer any hypothesis no matter how slight their data". But if you're that dumb then nothing will get thru your wall of ignorance.

As for the @ - consensus from everything i've seen is that fomite transmission isn't really a thing. All that stuff about wiping down surfaces is a fraction of a hair as important as avoiding indoor closeness for extended periods of time unless you have great-fitting, high-quality masks. It seems like you are genuinely curious, hence my response.

I'm sorry you don't understand that "trust science" doesn't mean "trust every scientist who says offer any hypothesis no matter how slight their data". But if you're that dumb then nothing will get thru your wall of ignorance.

As for the @ - consensus from everything i've seen is that fomite transmission isn't really a thing. All that stuff about wiping down surfaces is a fraction of a hair as important as avoiding indoor closeness for extended periods of time unless you have great-fitting, high-quality masks. It seems like you are genuinely curious, hence my response.

Yeah, my bad. You could have just answered "because my version of science" and that would have sufficed.

if masks worked the spread of Covid would have slowed down drastically over the summer and fall. the vast majority of people were wearing them everywhere in public. instead it went the other direction. you can have an opinion but the data speaks for itself. not a lab experiment... the 200 million person experiment.
Yeah, the fact that people were gathering during Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and other events, without having any masks on it all and not knowing where anyone had been. That had nothing to do with it right?

People aren't really truly masking though.
* they wear cotton instead of proper fitting surgical or n95 type stuff.
A detention center officer was wearing microfiber for only short periods of time in prisoner cells. But over a 24 hr period he probably spent about 20 minutes worth of time in the cell of some prisoners who were infected. One viral cell isn't enough to infect you. But over 20 minutes total worth of time, enough cells got thru his shitty mask, making him sick.

If masking hadn't been politicized the whole country could've ditched cotton by now for something better.

* they take them off in restaurants even though studies show viral load floating over distances.

* they wear them under their nose

* they hang-out with friends and buddies maskless in cars, at home, or private places without mask-rules.

People aren't really truly masking though.
* they wear cotton instead of proper fitting surgical or n95 type stuff.
A detention center officer was wearing microfiber for only short periods of time in prisoner cells. But over a 24 hr period he probably spent about 20 minutes worth of time in the cell of some prisoners who were infected. One viral cell isn't enough to infect you. But over 20 minutes total worth of time, enough cells got thru his shitty mask, making him sick.

If masking hadn't been politicized the whole country could've ditched cotton by now for something better.

* they take them off in restaurants even though studies show viral load floating over distances.

* they wear them under their nose

* they hang-out with friends and buddies maskless in cars, at home, or private places without mask-rules.

That is what I have been saying. These "masks" that 75% of people are wearing are as useless as tits on a boar hog. If everyone wore real masks, all the time, not going in restaurants and taking them off, not having sporting events then it would make a difference. Right now it's a clown show.

Yeah, the fact that people were gathering during Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and other events, without having any masks on it all and not knowing where anyone had been. That had nothing to do with it right?

don’t forget memorial weekend, post-school summer vacays, july 4th, labor day, and the favorite in these parts, tailgating.

We’re wearing the wrong masks.

We’re wearing the masks incorrectly.

We’re not wearing enough masks.

We gathered for holidays when we shouldn’t have.

We’re gathering in groups larger than mandated.

Even if you believe the hysteria, at some point we have to be real with ourselves and say, “is this realistic?”. And the answer to that is apparent.

Stop the charade. (That slogan is trademarked and not to be used without the express written consent of gunslingerdick)

That is what I have been saying. These "masks" that 75% of people are wearing are as useless as tits on a boar hog. If everyone wore real masks, all the time, not going in restaurants and taking them off, not having sporting events then it would make a difference. Right now it's a clown show.
Agreed, but also the goal is to reduce the number of total cells you are inhaling, so cloth is better than nothing.

Agreed, but also the goal is to reduce the number of total cells you are inhaling, so cloth is better than nothing.

I read that the CDC has determined that 2 masks are better than 1 in stopping the virus. I guess they are in the process of testing to see if 3 masks are better than 2. In a related story Hanes has announced that 2 pair of socks will keep your feet warmer than one pair when it is cold outside.

• Haha
Reactions: bleeduncblue
I read that the CDC has determined that 2 masks are better than 1 in stopping the virus. I guess they are in the process of testing to see if 3 masks are better than 2. In a related story Hanes has announced that 2 pair of socks will keep your feet warmer than one pair when it is cold outside.
They are saying that two masks can help because people don't wear a mask the way that they should. The second mask can help with the fit of the first mask. If you had a properly fitted mask, then it wouldn't be an issue.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/10/health/double-masking-cdc-study-escape-wellness/index.html

• Haha
Reactions: heelmanwilm
The problem, as I've mentioned before, is that Americans are doing things half assed like normal. You're never going to get 300+ million people to do things exactly how they need to be done. Even the people who want to do it right, don't have access to the proper mask or understand how to use what they have. There was really only two logical things to do. Do a real and total lockdown for a few weeks or just roll with it and accept the losses until herd immunity set in. American society will never choose one of those options though, so we are stuck with our current half assed approach.

what about the spikes pre-holidays? in NC we had been wearing masks for 6 months prior to that.

We’re wearing the wrong masks.

We’re wearing the masks incorrectly.

We’re not wearing enough masks.

We gathered for holidays when we shouldn’t have.

We’re gathering in groups larger than mandated.

Even if you believe the hysteria, at some point we have to be real with ourselves and say, “is this realistic?”. And the answer to that is apparent.

Stop the charade. (That slogan is trademarked and not to be used without the express written consent of gunslingerdick)

do these Karen's even step back and look at how they sound?? this is incredible. such a bunch of sheep pussies!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT