ADVERTISEMENT

Game Observations UNC vs TTU

Archer2

Hall of Famer
Aug 5, 2009
The Old North State
I'll start it off. Great overall game by Seventh: 7 points, 2 boards, 8 assists, 0 TO's!

Our spacing was better which meant our fast break was more effective. Our defensive effort was also much better than the second half of the Stanford game. All in all, a good win against a team we were supposed to beat handily.

Roy said Kenny twisted his ankle but appears to be okay.

Why do we love Kenny Williams?

Well, I think it was perfectly summed up by the defensive play he made to stop a transition opportunity with us up by 35. That play right there showed us exactly why Kenny is so valuable to us and you better believe that play sets an example for the rest of the team how things are supposed to be done and how they will be done for the rest of the year. During the stretch, it wasn't just that one play where Kenny hustled, he was bringing it on every single play on both ends, you gotta really love that from your Senior leader!

I like games like this, cause a lot of guys who havn't been scoring get to see the ball go through the hoop. Good to get some more repitition in Roy's scheme for the youngins.

Now... on to St Francis, and then Texas.

Really great to see Seventh healthy and confident, he deserves it. He did a lot of nice things tonight- he was very under control, unselfish throughout, made smart decisions and made everyone else around him better. He also did a nice job of pushing the tempo, getting the ball into the post for good scoring opportunities and actively kept the ball moving too. He was once again very engaged defensively and is starting to become a real force there. It can’t be understated how important it will be for us to have Seventh be a steady force for us off the bench that provides a veteran/calming presence while also being a positive contributor.

10 guys scored at least 6 points. 13 guys had at least 2 rebounds and 1 assist. That's sharing the love.
14 guys scored at least one point. Two guys who played didn't score. I wonder if we've ever had that many guys score in a single game before.

Really great to see Seventh healthy and confident, he deserves it. He did a lot of nice things tonight- he was very under control, unselfish throughout, made smart decisions and made everyone else around him better. He also did a nice job of pushing the tempo, getting the ball into the post for good scoring opportunities and actively kept the ball moving too. He was once again very engaged defensively and is starting to become a real force there. It can’t be understated how important it will be for us to have Seventh be a steady force for us off the bench that provides a veteran/calming presence while also being a positive contributor.
Great post Frank, and I'll add that one thing most or all of the soph - seniors "get" including Seventh is to not force shots, not act like you HAVE to score X number of points by jacking up a shot every second or third time down the court, even if its a bad shot from a bad location. Granted they will come up against MUCH better defenders and more athletic teams and strong zone type defenses very soon.... but it is encouraging that all the guys seem very unselfish in wanting to move and share the ball (maybe even over-passing a little at times?) ... knowing there are lots of scoring options out there, and they should just work for the BEST SHOT.... which sometimes CAN be a three, and CAN be early in the clock.

Yes indeed. He's also boasting a whopping 5:1 ATO ratio(20 assists to 4 TO's). Roy was very happy after the game with Seventh's 8 assists against 0 TO's tonight. Playing defense and not turning the ball over equates to a happy coach.

Great post Frank, and I'll add that one thing most or all of the soph - seniors "get" including Seventh is to not force shots, not act like you HAVE to score X number of points by jacking up a shot every second or third time down the court, even if its a bad shot from a bad location. Granted they will come up against MUCH better defenders and more athletic teams and strong zone type defenses very soon.... but it is encouraging that all the guys seem very unselfish in wanting to move and share the ball (maybe even over-passing a little at times?) ... knowing there are lots of scoring options out there, and they should just work for the BEST SHOT.... which sometimes CAN be a three, and CAN be early in the clock.

Very good point, and I agree that the unselfishness and willingness to move the ball is a big strength of this team as we have a lot of capable passers and a lot of scoring to really make teams pay. We have seen it in the last two games with 7 guys scoring 8 or more points against Stanford and then again tonight as Archer said with 10 guys scoring 6 or more points which was also due to us doing a nice job running the break with 29 fast break points. Roy commented positively in the presser that we had 29 assists on 41 made baskets, and our point guards having 12 of those assists and only 2 turnovers- which is pretty dadgum good to see.

I really enjoy watching a team share the ball like we have and I think that style of play comes from our 3 Seniors in Cam, Luke and Kenny. You saw it many times tonight where Luke passed up an open look from deep to find someone else for a better look from close range. I think this has even shed down to the freshman some as Nas has continued to play very unselfish himself and actively looking to work together with those around him.

And what excites me the most is that it is only the early part of the year and we have already shown we can do this, just wait until February when everyone is more comfortable with each other and knows their tendencies better because that's when things are going to be very exciting.

Last edited:

Ya know Frank, I can't help but recall some VERY spirited "discussions" I had on here concerning 7th's ability to play the point this past off season. My position was that the kid had to deal with injury as well as playing behind Joel Berry that sapped his confidence, caused him to try to do to much because he knew his ops were going to be limited. I tried to ask folks to have some faith in the kid, that he was going to be a player for us, that he could be a very good PG for us, maybe not Ty Lawson or Joel but a very good 7th Woods PG.

I was flat out told that was not going to happen (not by you BTW, just using your post here to get this off my chest), that he just was not "born to be a PG". All I asked was that folks give him the chance when he was healthy and not playing behind a great UNC PG with little if any room for him to play at the 2 and I was straight told that NO, he just was not nor would he ever be able to effectively play the point for UNC.

All I need to say at this point is considering how 7th just does not have the talent or ability to play the point for UNC, how damn good would he be if he actually did have the ability, how good would he be if he actually was "born" to be a PG? Heck, we might even know how many "blown assists" he had in each game? LOL

And while yeah, this was a needle stick back to some of those "heated" off season discussions, discussions that I did NOT like at the time, there is a larger point I want to make in this post. You just don't give up on a kid that has not had the chances to really show what he can do. Because of injury and playing behind really good upper classmen, 7th's chances of showing what he could do have been limited, this is NOW his best chance and what I have seen is a pretty darn good PG arise from those ashes. Coby will as well prove to those that doubt him as a PG wrong and in the end I think folks may see why my position going in to this season was and still is we go as far as our front court allows us because our back court and specifically our PG position will be in good hands. So far this season I think we see exactly what I talked about this off season and why I am so high on how far this team can go if the front court (specifically Brooks and Manley) can hold down the center spot. *If they can I think we are a final 4 level; team, if not then sweet 16. My bet so far, final 4, maybe beyond.

Will know more in the coming weeks when the competition level gets real .

So far so good but the competition to date has not been tasking

Hopefully these tune up games will indeed infuse confidence and game experience lessons learned for this group to compete and win at a high level

Will know more in the coming weeks when the competition level gets real .

So far so good but the competition to date has not been tasking

Hopefully these tune up games will indeed infuse confidence and game experience lessons learned for this group to compete and win at a high level

Very true, the level of competition has not been so far what it will be but in playing well now it does show what a player can do even if it is relative to what other players are doing or have done vs lesser competition. meaning, Brooks may not score or rebound as solidly vs teams like duke or Ky but relative to the other soph bigs so far he seems to be the cream that has risen.

We do this every season, the competition starts off lesser then it heats up really quickly and it is for sure about to get really heated up. But right now, we are not just beating teams we should beat, we are destroying them, which is exactly what a team with superior talent and experience is supposed to do.

On the prediction thread for this TT game, I saw a 40pt spread and what was it, over 160 points? No freaking way I take a bet on a 40pt spread and yet we win by 50? While who wins and loses a game when the teams are so mis-matched is not in doubt, I would suggest beating any D1 team by 50+ is a harder thing to do than beating a better opponent by 5 when the point spread is 2 either way. What I am saying is the spread is the equalizer and if we are beating the spread it shows that this team is a contender for the final nets the first week of April.

The shining spot last night was the 29 pts via fastbreak .

If this team is able to amp up the running game while staying efficient in the half court then this year becomes real interesting.

They could bring back the scoring punch not seen since the 2008-2009 roster

The number of talented teams is higher this year so I am trying not to get too high to early but the potential is intriguing for sure

The fun banter and instruction going on between luke amd the younger guys was fun to watch as well .

I think I also saw white giving Brooks a hard time after being blocked by the bottom of the back board

Chemistry seems to be clicking early with this group

I really think that 7 should be starting at the point. If Roy lives by what he says the main focus is to hold on to the ball and stay in front of your man and I would add play in control 7th has done that. whites should sit for a while till he learns to play Under Control we don't need another score right now we need someone who can handle the ball and get it to the people that can score just my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT