ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Newsome touches on problems in Democratic Party

ticket2ride04

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 13, 2004
He touches briefly on problems in the Dem Party which I agree with. I personally think this Russia thing is a non-starter. I like what I've seen from Newsome and fully expect a run from him either in 2020 or 2024

Reactions: gteeitup
Single payer is coming my friend. Get ready for it

Unfortunately I think you're right. The advocates of it have the talking points that appeal to emotionally minded people, even if they don't make sense on a logical basis.

"These bastards are trying to take healthcare away from millions!" gets a lot more support than "You'd be able to get cheaper healthcare on your own, and wouldn't have to pay for everyone else's healthcare". It'd be nice if people looked at the situations in which single payer has already been implemented, and the (lack of) success of it - but currently there are more people emotionally wired than logically wired - which I think is a detriment but I guess that's a debatable point.

Yes sir. And if you'd do a little research you'd find that in NC they do as well. In 2009 I was paying $750 per month for health insurance and 6% for retirement in NC.
First, only paying 6% for a full pension is a steal.

Second, I'm assuming the $750 was for additional family members? That number still seems high for 2009.

Unfortunately I think you're right. The advocates of it have the talking points that appeal to emotionally minded people, even if they don't make sense on a logical basis.

"These bastards are trying to take healthcare away from millions!" gets a lot more support than "You'd be able to get cheaper healthcare on your own, and wouldn't have to pay for everyone else's healthcare". It'd be nice if people looked at the situations in which single payer has already been implemented, and the (lack of) success of it - but currently there are more people emotionally wired than logically wired - which I think is a detriment but I guess that's a debatable point.

I'd much rather divide up the bill than continue gambling on private health insurance. The entire industry is built on the idea of people paying more for insurance than they receive in healthcare services. Thus raising the cost of healthcare.

It isn't an emotional argument. At least not for everyone that is making it.

First, only paying 6% for a full pension is a steal.

Second, I'm assuming the $750 was for additional family members? That number still seems high for 2009.
That was a family plan which was much more expensive than the plan I had with the Pharma Co. 6% is not chump change either when you consider that most begin teaching at 22-23 years old, plus the fact that teachers in NC aren't exactly getting rich either.

Yes sir. And if you'd do a little research you'd find that in NC they do as well. In 2009 I was paying $750 per month for health insurance and 6% for retirement in NC.

'do research' ?? LOL. you know damn well that the bleeding heart snowflakes won't actually DO research - it's too dangerous, they may stumble across info that conflicts with their victim-promoting world view - such as the view that there is NO WAY a teacher would ever take personal responsibility and actually pay for their own insurance and retirement. WHY ON EARTH would you do that when you can lean on the government for it???

'do research' ?? LOL. you know damn well that the bleeding heart snowflakes won't actually DO research - it's too dangerous, they may stumble across info that conflicts with their victim-promoting world view - such as the view that there is NO WAY a teacher would ever take personal responsibility and actually pay for their own insurance and retirement. WHY ON EARTH would you do that when you can lean on the government for it???
Do you always come across as a menstruating woman?

That was a family plan which was much more expensive than the plan I had with the Pharma Co. 6% is not chump change either when you consider that most begin teaching at 22-23 years old, plus the fact that teachers in NC aren't exactly getting rich either.
6% is very little to get a lifetime pension in return

It's a great job.

i volunteer almost weekly year round at our elementary school here and it's very rewarding for me...i actually enjoyed helping kindergarten kids learn more than i did being pto prez.

thing is, and you know this, once you start you cannot turn away.

6% is very little to get a lifetime pension in return

Agreed. Which is why I think the defined benefit plans are the stupidest retirement option to offer. If it wasn't for the teacher's union, they could save (or not save) for retirement the same way as everyone else. Defined benefit and the teacher's union should both go the way of the dinosaur.

i volunteer almost weekly year round at our elementary school here and it's very rewarding for me...i actually enjoyed helping kindergarten kids learn more than i did being pto prez.

thing is, and you know this, once you start you cannot turn away.
My wife is a kindergarten aide. She wants to bring about half of them home. Some sad stories out there. In fact we have taken the classes and become licensed for foster care. About 10% of our school are foster kids.

Reactions: gteeitup
Agreed. Which is why I think the defined benefit plans are the stupidest retirement option to offer. If it wasn't for the teacher's union, they could save (or not save) for retirement the same way as everyone else. Defined benefit and the teacher's union should both go the way of the dinosaur.
I have a 403b as well. They take 10% out here.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I have a 403b as well. They take 10% out here.

Well that's good, because you'll have something left when the pension system crumbles. I'm not a fan of controlling what people do with their money - but if there was ever a time I could get on board with it - it'd be to mandate retirement savings. It's a huge issue in this country of people spending beyond their means and not properly saving - and those people will eventually rely on the rest of the country to bail them out. Something I'd rather not have to do.

Reactions: nctransplant
@gteeitup if you get the chance check out the Southern Valley facebook page, Oxford NE. Every year we do a themed "Best First Day of School Ever" deal with the kids. We have speakers, bring them in on charter buses and limos, lip sync battles etc. This year it was SportsCenter Gameday themed. The kids love it. Starts the year off on a positive note.

You nailed it. People are happy with them because they pay little or nothing for it: Medicare, Medicaid, VA. Compared to people paying premiums for healthcare insurance either in the individual or group market (via their employers), of course they're going to poll better.
That's part of it. But insurance is covering less and less every year. People who transition from employer paid to Medicare often enjoy the latter more than the former. And it's only going to get worse.

That's part of it. But insurance is covering less and less every year. People who transition from employer paid to Medicare often enjoy the latter more than the former. And it's only going to get worse.
It's an inaccurate generalization to say insurance is covering less and less. Consumers on the individual market have a number of benefit plan designs to choose from, and plans purchased through the healthcare exchanges are actually required to contain "essential health benefits" that might otherwise be absent. Plans purchased through an employer are always going to vary based on the employer's relative bargaining power and whatever cost-controlling methods the employer chooses to use. The better argument here isn't that coverage is decreasing, but that costs for the same coverage are increasing and the cost-sharing burden is increasingly being shifted to the employee.

In any event, you can't compare benefit design between Medicare and managed care. Medicare doesn't cover perinatal care at all, for example. It's apples and oranges.

It's an inaccurate generalization to say insurance is covering less and less. Consumers on the individual market have a number of benefit plan designs to choose from, and plans purchased through the healthcare exchanges are actually required to contain "essential health benefits" that might otherwise be absent. Plans purchased through an employer are always going to vary based on the employer's relative bargaining power and whatever cost-controlling methods the employer chooses to use. The better argument here isn't that coverage is decreasing, but that costs for the same coverage are increasing and the cost-sharing burden is increasingly being shifted to the employee.

In any event, you can't compare benefit design between Medicare and managed care. Medicare doesn't cover perinatal care at all, for example. It's apples and oranges.
All fair points. I only brought up the VA and Medicare in response the outcry that the government can't get anything right.

All fair points. I only brought up the VA and Medicare in response the outcry that the government can't get anything right.
Yeah, the VA isn't a great example. They're a very unique entity because they're both the payer and the provider. Medicare, on the other hand, has been a very successful program IMO. It's certainly not perfect but it has ensured that generations of the most vulnerable Americans (elderly and disabled) have had access to quality, affordable care.

Here's a question for everyone: Is healthcare a human right? I know my answer but I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT