ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mr. Floyd's Death Being Used To Change All Of Society?

oh but YOU have the open mind huh? Is that what you’re claiming? HAHAHAHA!! GTFOH with that billshit.
like I said, "You are in your own self-satisfied little world, wherein you believe your words to be gospel and any words to the contrary are not to be taken seriously."

You've chosen "piddle with semantics." Okay.
No, I've chosen to point out your incredibly dumb statement that it's not comparable to how blacks were treated because they had arrows. Maybe it's my fault for assuming you know the history of Indians.

Reactions: UNC '92
like I said, "You are in your own self-satisfied little world, wherein you believe your words to be gospel and any words to the contrary are not to be taken seriously."

The hypocrisy meter just pegged. pegged, overheated, blew up, caused a meltdown and now the general population can’t be around it for the next 100 years

No, I've chosen to point out your incredibly dumb statement that it's not comparable to how blacks were treated because they had arrows. Maybe it's my fault for assuming you know the history of Indians.
Yes, it's your fault.

You're dumb enough to base this on the inaccurate reference that Indians didn't have firearms. They did. And, they had their own land. You're not this stupid.

https://aeon.co/essays/how-did-the-introduction-of-guns-change-native-america

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1184207?seq=1

Yes, it's your fault.

You're dumb enough to base this on the inaccurate reference that Indians didn't have firearms. They did. And, they had their own land. You're not this stupid.

https://aeon.co/essays/how-did-the-introduction-of-guns-change-native-america

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1184207?seq=1
Yeah, just reading this shows it isn't even close to the treatment of black people.

https://www.history.com/news/native-americans-genocide-united-states

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...government-keeps-native-americans-in-poverty/

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/10/native-americans-minneapolis/503441/

If you want to say black people had/have it worse, that's fine because that's what I said. But to say Indians had it no where near as bad shows that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of history or you have a weird way of defining something being much worse. Or maybe as a Washington Redskins fan, you just don't care about the Indians.

Last edited:
Yeah, just reading this shows it isn't even close to the treatment of black people.

https://www.history.com/news/native-americans-genocide-united-states

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...government-keeps-native-americans-in-poverty/

If you want to say black people had/have it worse, that's fine because that's what I said. But to say Indians had it no where near as bad shows that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of history or you have a weird way of defining something being much worse. Or maybe as a Washington Redskins fan, you just don't care about the Indians.
black people had/have it worse

And, being a Redskins fan doesn't equal "don't care about the Indians."

i think it's actually a very complex issue that is being addressed using a hammer. It's not like ALL black people have identical, universal experiences and attitudes about American society. I know I have heard black celebrities like Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman state that the system is rigged, but it's not rigged like many people assume, or think. From what I could tell, they will say that American society offers all people a chance. Your level of commitment is a lot more important than your ethnicity. Also, your upbringing- having both parents as positive influences- helps, and matters, as do genetics!
I think those are very true statements.
I think America's police/law enforcement institutions have come to look, act, and conduct themselves more like military, or para-military organizations. I don't think that's something we want or need, as a society.
I believe we need stricter guidelines for LEO's, I vehemently disagree about them acting like paramilitary forces. That's a huge stretch.
You might run into problems with "All Lives Matter" for more reasons than just race. "All" is pretty vague. I would be inclined to agree with you that saying "All Lives Matters" is not racist aat all. I believe that they all should. But, it doesn't take very long before there are unique circumstances that force us to rethink that. And, it seems like we have still not recognized all of us as equals, so the All Lives Matter label isn't genuine, maybe. I dunno.
I can't see any circumstances that would "force us to rethink that." That is a universal truth. If BLM was up in protest to stop the black on black homicides that are prevalent in our cities, I could under stand the moniker, but they aren't. They're only concerned with black homicides perpetrated by LEO's. That's my issue with that group and their chosen name. When they start protesting the dozen of black citizens murdered every week in Baltimore, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc..., then I'll respect their efforts. Again, their selective anger is divisive and misplaced.

And that's exactly how black society has said they see racism, as a cancer.
As do the Jewish people, who have been discriminated against more than any other group of people in the world. But they have maintained their belief in family, faith, and hard work, and lifted themselves up out of despair and poverty.
They are simply saying that they want issues in society toward the black community corrected.
Fair enough, I don't know anybody who doesn't. But where is their concern for the issues within the black community that are killing many, many more black Americans? That's what I want to see. They're attacking the tip of the iceberg and ignoring the much larger underlying issue.
\
But I'm sure if a "Old Southern White Guys Matter" campaign started you'd be on the front line. So why can't they defend their own race against injustices?
That's beneath you @strummingram. Not one person who's even been in casual personal contact with me believes that.

And now that it’s gone I don’t give a crap as well. It seems the majority of Americans find these symbols offensive And want them removed. if so then tear them down. If you want to worship and defend them as “history” go ahead as well. I don’t give a crap. tear them down, piss on them, shit on them, pray to them, I don’t care. They mean nothing to me.
So if the majority of Americans decided that the cross was offensive, would you feel it was okay to "tear them down, piss on them, sh*t on them, pray to them"? I mean if we're basing everything on majority opinion, would that be okay? Perhaps you're not a religious person and that would be okay with you. Just curious where you draw the line.

That's beneath you @strummingram. Not one person who's even been in casual personal contact with me believes that.
I didn't say what you quoted me as having said:

But I'm sure if a "Old Southern White Guys Matter" campaign started you'd be on the front line. So why can't they defend their own race against injustices?

Be more careful next time. You misquoted me, when it was @dadika13 who said that.

@Archer2

“So if the majority of Americans decided that the cross was offensive, would you feel it was okay to "tear them down, piss on them, sh*t on them, pray to them"? I mean if we're basing everything on majority opinion, would that be okay? Perhaps you're not a religious person and that would be okay with you. Just curious where you draw the line.[/QUOTE]

I’m just talking about Confederate symbolss. I think with each symbol you have to take it on a case-by-case basis. And I’m not trying to say what’s right or wrong I’m just saying how I feel. I don’t give a crap about Confederate symbolism one way or the other to be honest but if our culture and our society has shifted to where it deems the symbols offensive then I don’t have a problem with taking them down. As for where I draw the line I don’t know. I don’t think any church or synagogue or temple should be forced to remove their symbols though regardless of what the majority thinks. I would base that on the premise that they’re exercising constitutional rights of freedom of religion. I do oppose religious symbols in the public square being funded by tax dollars fwiw.

Reactions: strummingram
Read what I wrote. They were maligned. They were almost exterminated, yes. But, they could, at least, fight back, and they did. That's actually the impetus for using names like Redskins, Warriors, Tribe, Warhawks, etc., comes from. To me, therein lies the difference of context between Redskins and Nigggers, when people try and equate them.

We can piddle with semantics, if you like. But, I would much rather have been an Indian than an African slave, if given a choice between the two.
or you can just piddle with common sense. If you're going to be an Indian, you have a much greater chance of being a dead or displaced one, due to the white man's encroachment. For my part, I think you are making the right choice..

or you can just piddle with common sense. If you're going to be an Indian, you have a much greater chance of being a dead or displaced one, due to the white man's encroachment. For my part, I think you are making the right choice..
It blows my mind that the US govt forced the Cherokee people to leave their land in wnc and walk....to Oklahoma

Last edited:
@Archer2
As for where I draw the line I don’t know. I don’t think any church or synagogue or temple should be forced to remove their symbols though regardless of what the majority thinks. I would base that on the premise that they’re exercising constitutional rights of freedom of religion. I do oppose religious symbols in the public square being funded by tax dollars fwiw.
I'm glad to hear you say that because I think religion in general is under attack in the West. I can foresee a time when our First Amendment right to freedom of religion is in jeopardy.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
It is impossible to address equality, without grappling with our long history of inequality. Even if the law and public policy treat black folks equally today (spoiler: it doesn't), that doesn't erase the massive head start that white folks have had over African Americans and other people of color.

I've shared his stuff before, but this is a good lecture on the historical legacy of inequality that has produced a massive wealth gap between white and black folks. Socioeconomic disadvantage lies at the root of our problem with racial inequality in this country.

It is impossible to address equality, without grappling with our long history of inequality. Even if the law and public policy treat black folks equally today (spoiler: it doesn't), that doesn't erase the massive head start that white folks have had over African Americans and other people of color.

I've shared his stuff before, but this is a good lecture on the historical legacy of inequality that has produced a massive wealth gap between white and black folks. Socioeconomic disadvantage lies at the root of our problem with racial inequality in this country.

Sorry, but that guy is crazy.

The problem I have with discussions about “starting place” is that not all white people have the same starting place. So which white starting place is the benchmark in which we measure against the starting place of blacks? And then of course, which blacks’ starting place are we choosing to measure against the chosen white starting place? Because to me, it appears we take the most advantaged white person starting place and measure it against the least advantaged black starting place and then attempt to show how uneven it is. When in reality, both races have
broad spectrum of starting places.
Going with average or median would make sense, but you can just compare apples-apples too:
A white kid raised in the slums will have a few advantages over a black kid or latino kid raised in the same slums.

A white kid raised by rich parents in a rich neighborhood will have a few advantages over POC raised by rich parents in the same rich neighborhood.

Luckily the USA is less racist than lots of other countries. For starting place you could take two adopted kids, one black, one white with the same education and grades, drop them off in an asian country and tell them to establish jobs and a life. The differences would be apparent very quickly. In the US the difference may or may not be apparent as quickly though due to luck or random circumstances.

Last edited:
I vehemently disagree about them acting like paramilitary forces. That's a huge stretch.
Really?

In the last few weeks, you haven't seen them displaying a military-style presence in the streets of America?

You won't watch this, but, it shows exactly what I'm talking about.

"You are lucky that black people are looking for equality, and not revenge!"

Last edited:
I need you to tell me what - exactly - those advantages would be.
It kinda sounds like you are asking for examples of racial inequality, but I doubt you are actually asking for these. So I don't get the point you were trying to make about "starting places" or what you're measuring. Sorry.

Sorry, but Oliver's call for defunding police forces is inane, I can't take him seriously. I'm for police force reforms, but that's insanity. When it starts happening, and I believe it will, people aren't going to like the consequences. And the ones most adversely affected by the resulting rise in crime are going to be the poor. He should stick to comedy.

Sorry, but Oliver's call for defunding police forces is inane, I can't take him seriously. I'm for police force reforms, but that's insanity. When it starts happening, and I believe it will, people aren't going to like the consequences. And the ones most adversely affected by the resulting rise in crime are going to be the poor. He should stick to comedy.
You need to watch the entire video. And, if you did, and that's all you came up with, then you didn't really listen. There is an abundance of wisdom, and even suggestion of remedies, in that particular piece.

America is becoming more polarized than I've ever seen it in my lifetime.

Nice job completely ignoring the substance of the video. Feel free to try and refute the historical points he referenced there.
I've watched his show. I watched what is being labeled "an impassioned plea from John Oliver for defunding the police force" and it told me all I need to know about this guy. So I didn't bother to watch the video you posted. Again, he's a pretty funny guy, he should stick to what he knows best.

I've watched his show. I watched what is being labeled "an impassioned plea from John Oliver for defunding the police force" and it told me all I need to know about this guy. So I didn't bother to watch the video you posted. Again, he's a pretty funny guy, he should stick to what he knows best.

What in the world are you talking about? The video I shared has nothing to do with John Oliver or defunding the police...

Just watch the first 10-12 minutes of the video I shared. It’s not some video about how all white people are the devil. It just outlines some of our socioeconomic history that has led to the modern level of economic inequality.

The other day you seemed interested to get to the root of why crime levels are higher in minority neighborhoods. Well the correlation between poverty and crime is well established and this video gives a lot of answers as to why there is such a large wealth gap for people of color.

Last edited:
What in the world are you talking about? The video I shared has nothing to do with John Oliver or defunding the police...
He's got them mixed-up completely.

By the way, I watched the one you posted on You Tube and I have my settings on auto-play, and it went to another seminar he gave in 2017. It was pretty interesting, too.

Reactions: uncboy10
You're not even aware of what is meant by "defunding" the police. And, you've gotten the two videos being offered mixed-up entirely.

It blows my mind that the US govt forced the Cherokee people to leave their land in wnc and walk....to Oklahoma
I am of the opinion that when comparing the treatment of American Indians to negro slaves, it was the Indian who got the shit end of the stick. I'm not making light of slavery, but the plain truth is that black people brought into slavery in America, and their descendants, were ultimately handed the keys to it; and the keys to any part of America beats the pants off of having the keys to the entire continent of Africa. And yes I understand there is awesomeness in Africa, but I also know that your average African is up to his armpits in the third world.

Meanwhile, Indians already had the keys to America and we took them and hid them from them for the most part. And I do mean we, because even though I have no direct or indirect connection to the practice of slavery, I and the descendants of slaves are now living on the land that once was the domain of Native Americans.

I am of the opinion that when comparing the treatment of American Indians to negro slaves, it was the Indian who got the shit end of the stick. I'm not making light of slavery, but the plain truth is that black people brought into slavery in America, and their descendants, were ultimately handed the keys to it; and the keys to any part of America beats the pants off of having the keys to the entire continent of Africa. And yes I understand there is awesomeness in Africa, but I also know that your average African is up to his armpits in the third world.

Meanwhile, Indians already had the keys to America and we took them and hid them from them for the most part. And I do mean we, because even though I have no direct or indirect connection to the practice of slavery, I and the descendants of slaves are now living on the land that once was the domain of Native Americans.
Wow... I can't imagine why some parts of Africa are a shithole now.

You should print that whole post out and frame it.

That has got to be some of the most ignorant, and total dumb-fvckery that was ever shat-out onto this board. You managed to debase BOTH the Indians and Blacks even further.

Reactions: dadika13
He's got them mixed-up completely.

By the way, I watched the one you posted on You Tube and I have my settings on auto-play, and it went to another seminar he gave in 2017. It was pretty interesting, too.

He’s a really good lecturer. It’s also interesting that most of his explanations for racial inequality don’t fixate on ordinary racist people. He highlights the issues of racial inequality that were created by financial institutions and the government, from the very beginning of our nations history.

It’s also interesting to hear him speak about the invention of the concept of whiteness. European folks didn’t identify as some large collective of ‘white’ people until a few hundred years ago.

Really?

In the last few weeks, you haven't seen them displaying a military-style presence in the streets of America?

You won't watch this, but, it shows exactly what I'm talking about.

"You are lucky that black people are looking for equality, and not revenge!"
WTF does revenge mean? Revenge for what exactly? That guy is a total douche and you’re buying into his douchebaggery.

Reactions: Terror Beard
America is becoming more polarized than I've ever seen it in my lifetime.
Is it really? Serious question, when you interact with the world during a normal day is it different for you than it was 10 years ago? Do you see arguments and/or fights happening in the street or is everything pretty much the same? Up until the recent riots (which is probably an exception to the rule), I can't tell a difference in my day to day life.

Is it really? Serious question, when you interact with the world during a normal day is it different for you than it was 10 years ago? Do you see arguments and/or fights happening in the street or is everything pretty much the same? Up until the recent riots (which is probably an exception to the rule), I can't tell a difference in my day to day life.
Congratulations! You're staying insulated really well. Good for you!

If it's not happening to you, in your personal day-to-day life, then it may as well be a fairy tale.

So is that a yes or no? It really was a serious question.
When I "interact with the world" in a normal day? Yes, it has changed a great deal from 10 years ago.

Do I see fights in the streets of my neighborhood, and town? Unless it's the meth addict and his girlfriend that lives across the dogbone intersection... No, I don't.

But, the Golden Corner of SC is hardly a barometer for the social structure of American society. A population of mostly middle-class, southern white people, with a tiny sprinkle of blacks, isn't much of a dichotomy.

When I "interact with the world" in a normal day? Yes, it has changed a great deal from 10 years ago
How so?

But, the Golden Corner of SC is hardly a barometer for the social structure of American society. A population of mostly middle-class, southern white people, with a tiny sprinkle of blacks, isn't much of a dichotomy.
Ok. It's pretty diverse where I live and work, so maybe the dichotomy is better here. I guess what I'm trying to get at is I've been hearing since the first years of Obama (maybe even since W) that we've never been more divided and this country is tearing itself apart. Those are excellent lines for the media and obviously they get repeated on social media. I realize that Atlanta isn't representative of the whole country, so maybe I'm just lucky that I live in the one place in the country that isn't a hell hole, but I suspect that division you think is so bad is driven by something other than reality.

Wow... I can't imagine why some parts of Africa are a shithole now.

You should print that whole post out and frame it.

That has got to be some of the most ignorant, and total dumb-fvckery that was ever shat-out onto this board. You managed to debase BOTH the Indians and Blacks even further.
My God, you are a sniveling fvcktard. Not one word in your post offers anything substantial as a counter to anything I said. You're just putting your butthurt on display.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT