ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina vs South Carolina

The only reason why USuCk being in the ACC would make sense is because they are literally on the Atlantic coast. Other than that, they don't fit. They're nowhere near the academic standard of the ACC and their redneck fans fit right in with the SEC crowd. And I'm saying that as someone with family that's currently going there.

Last edited:
The only reason why USuCk being in the ACC would make sense is because they are literally on the Atlantic coat. Other than that, they don't fit. They're nowhere near the academic standard of the ACC and their redneck fans fit right in with the SEC crowd. And I'm saying that as someone with family that's currently going there.
Yeah, they are a perfect fit in every way for the SEC.

Yes, Jake Bentley's inconsistencies at QB lead to that loss. Bentley is a hot and cold QB. When he's on fire, we win. When he's cold, we lose. He was really, really cold against UVA, and the fact that we had 19 injuries on defense didn't help that.

If you watch the UVA game, it was a contest throughout the entire thing. Our defense held firm on most drives, and our offense would move down the field on about half of our drives. What killed us is Bentley throwing 3 INT's in Virginia territory, two inside the redzone. It happened all game. There was even a 4th and 1 deep inside UVA territory on the first drive of the game, and Bentley overthrew a wide open receiver, which is basically another turnover.

What happened all game was we would spend a lot of clock successfully driving the ball downfield, ready to score, and then Bentley would throw an INT. It killed momentum entirely, gave UVA the ball, and caused Jake to throw worse and worse ad the game went on. I personally believe if we put in another QB, our backups Hilinski or Joyner, we would've won. Jake's performance from start to finish made us lose, and we had multiple opportunities to score and win throughout the course of the game.

Thanks for the info. Best response I've heard from a SC fan. Poor QB play can kill a game.

They’re one of the worst fan bases I’ve ever seen. Zero class.

Obviously I’m biased as an alumni of clemson, but the clemson fans I’ve met are usually pretty classy. The redneck “tater” stereotype doesn’t really fit anymore.
Yes. It does.

USC will smother your offense and cause a lot of 3 and outs for the young QB and will make it difficult to overcome late in the game. Jaycee Horn is one of the most lock down corners in America, and their DL is as deep as anyones in the SEC East this season. The Gamecock passing game will be fresh and should have a hay day against the make-shift Tar Heel defense. Guys like Shi Smith, Bryan Edwards, Ortre Smith, Mon Denson and Tavian Feaster are match up nightmares for UNC. By talent this game shouldn't be close, but sometimes Will Muschamp's teams do not do what they should against inferior opponents. I pick the Gamecocks in this one though vs a young and hungry Tar Heel squad by a score of 45-13.

USC will smother your offense and cause a lot of 3 and outs for the young QB and will make it difficult to overcome late in the game. Jaycee Horn is one of the most lock down corners in America, and their DL is as deep as anyones in the SEC East this season. The Gamecock passing game will be fresh and should have a hay day against the make-shift Tar Heel defense. Guys like Shi Smith, Bryan Edwards, Ortre Smith, Mon Denson and Tavian Feaster are match up nightmares for UNC. By talent this game shouldn't be close, but sometimes Will Muschamp's teams do not do what they should against inferior opponents. I pick the Gamecocks in this one though vs a young and hungry Tar Heel squad by a score of 45-13.

Jesus we've got another one...

I think we’ll show up and play anyway.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Haven’t been this psyched for a college football game in a while. These SC fans make it sound like we’re playing against the Lewis led Ravens defense of a few years ago. Granted, I think their defense will be the strength of their team, but I’m not convinced it’s going to be a blowout like their fans are. They’re giving our team no respect.

That attitude by their fans, reminding me of why I disliked SC when they were in the league, makes me really want to win this game!

Last edited:
Reactions: keysersosay#1

Mon Denson is a matchup nightmare? What are you talking about.

These are the types of posts from Gamecock fans that make all of us look bad. This is an example of smack talk with absolutely no research or real thought put into it. How can anyone try to objectively claim that USC has one of the best corners in America - a true sophomore who didn't even make all SEC last year. I agree he is terrific, but come on. Just lazy hyperbole. Out of all the names who are matchup nightmares against UNC, Mon Denson is not one of them. The only thing I really agree on is that we probably have the deepest D-line in the SEC East this year.

I'll take USC winning 30-13. I don't have enough confidence in our offense to score into the 40's after we fell apart against UVA, but I do think we match up well against their defense enough to make 30 points happen. I think UNC under Howell will be largely inconsistent. I can see a TD and a couple of field goals.

With our green QB’s, turnovers have to be a real concern. We probably don’t have the chemistry offensively to score a bunch of points against a good defense, so we must avoid TO’s and hope to force a couple defensively.

Winning the TO battle is always big, it’s imperative in order for us to win IMO. 20-17, good guys.

With our green QB’s, turnovers have to be a real concern. We probably don’t have the chemistry offensively to score a bunch of points against a good defense, so we must avoid TO’s and hope to force a couple defensively.

Winning the TO battle is always big, it’s imperative in order for us to win IMO. 20-17, good guys.

That's exactly correct. If UNC is going to win this game, it is absolutely imperative you win the turnover battle. That means not having any yourself, and picking off Bentley to throw him off his rhythm and create momentum for your offense.

Good thing there’s only 2 or 3 good defenses on the schedule, and we get a warm up before facing Miami.

Good thing there’s only 2 or 3 good defenses on the schedule, and we get a warm up before facing Miami.
App St was a great D last yr, maybe they are in your 2 or 3, and like Miami, they have a bye before us.

Yeah, the Canes have top 10 talent, lack of coaching has been their weakness in recent years. Is Diaz, in his first year as HC, the answer? We’ll see.

As for SC, Bateman will blitz early and often in an attempt to put pressure on Bentley. And I expect the same from SC. If SC can stuff the run and force our young QB to have to make plays with his arm, it would be huge. Conversely, we’ll try to do the same thing and force Bentley to beat us.

I have no idea how this game will go. We have won 5 games in the last two years and have a new coach with a new system going up against a pretty good team with a good coach. They got waxed by UVa in the bowl game, completely embarrassed. A lot of variables in this one, but should be at least very interesting.

I have no idea how this game will go. We have won 5 games in the last two years and have a new coach with a new system going up against a pretty good team with a good coach. They got waxed by UVa in the bowl game, completely embarrassed. A lot of variables in this one, but should be at least very interesting.
Exactly.

Personally, I don't put any stock in that bowl game. That was last year, and we've all seen bowl games go that way after teams have a month off.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Exactly.

Personally, I don't put any stock in that bowl game. That was last year, and we've all seen bowl games go that way after teams have a month off.

The Belk Bowl has a lot of Gamecock fans on edge. Will Muschamp-coached teams have not had the greatest offenses, but his South Carolina teams have been playing kids since his first season as head coach in 2016. In '16 and '17 combined, USC had more freshmen starters than anyone else in CFB during those years. The team came into 2018 with a lot of veteran experience.

And it showed mostly in their offense: even despite that Belk Bowl performance, USC's offense was statistically the best offense Muschamp has had in any previous year at either Florida or USC. And he'll have most of that offense return for 2019.

The defense meanwhile, was the worst statistical defense Muschamp's ever had. The injuries and lack of depth behind the starters - who got injured - wore the defense down as the season progressed. In August and September, they allowed 23.5 ppg, in October they allowed 28.3 ppg, in November it was 36.0 ppg. In Aug./Sept. they allowed 330.5 ypg, in October it was 433.0 ypg, in November it was 555.0 ypg (!!). By the bowl game, the team was an exhausted shell, and the staff barely put the team through half the available bowl practices they were allocated.

The positive side of that coin however, is that most of the defense returned for 2019. Some 67% of the defensive production, including the entire Front 7 minus Allen-Williams. And because of the injuries, younger players last season that were either planned to be red-shirted, or get very measured, limited snaps last season but was forced into major minutes and production throughout the season, will now be much more experienced and seasoned for 2019 than they otherwise would have been.

This allows the defensive staff to be more liberal in their rotations, and have more trust in those players. At least, that's their plan....

The biggest questions in-game:

How each team's lines of scrimmage perform, in regards to the run game: both teams return veteran depth at RB; both team's run defense in 2018 was abysmal.

Which defensive line will be able to dictate the LOS and frustrate the offensive backfield the best: both offenses will be heavy on the pass if their offensive coordinators have things their way - more passes, and more explosive pass plays, which will result in longer timed pass plays, which will give the defenses more time to penetrate the OLs and rush the passer. Will the OLs hold their ground? Will the QBs rush their progressions and miss-time their throws, creating opportunities for turnovers?

Which offense will stay on the field the longest: despite USC's offense being the best yet statistically under Muschamp, it also had a dubious distinction of being dead last in 2018 in CFB in time of possession. This was due to quick-strike scoring drives, and due to the defense not being able to get the opposing offenses off of the field, again due to their injury issues. There was also the issue of Bentley and the offense committing crucial turnovers, particularly in the red-zone and in goal line plays. As major a priority for the Gamecocks in 2019 is reduce the turnovers as much as possible.

UNC's Jay Bateman's defenses at Army has been hyped non-stop by Tar Heel insiders for how quickly they got opposing offenses off of the field. What non-Tar Heel insiders have been noting is that defenses can typically be boosted when the sibling offense is specifically designed to help the defense out: Army's defenses under Bateman have been ranked 15th, 32nd, and 10th nationally in scoring defense in 2016, 2017, and 2018 respectively. Also, they have been ranked 4th, 32nd, and 8th in total defense during those years as well.

Army's offenses under Jeff Monken have been ranked 59th, 46th, and 35th in scoring offense those same years. Nothing eye-popping there. They've also been ranked 65th, 76th, and 77th nationally in total offense. Again, nothing that stands out there.

Here is where it is: Army ranked 3rd, 4th, and 1st nationally in offensive time of possession for 2016, 2017, and 2018 respectively. Army runs a triple-option flexbone offense that is designed by Monken to stay on the field, to churn out 1st downs, and then to stay on the field some more. And by doing this, they keep more talented opponent's own offenses OFF of the field. They run the ball - think of Georgia Tech under Paul Johnson - they don't rack up the offensive total yards as the above rankings show, but they were 2nd, 1st, and 2nd nationally in rushing offense in CFB the last 3 years.

That's actually better than the Johnson GT teams during those years. And Army averaged about 6-7 passes per game the last 3 seasons. In 2016 and 2017 they were dead last in FBS.

This is what Bateman is bringing his defense from, and what he's bringing them to: Phil Longo's Air Raid offense is about as far to the other end of the universe of an offense as Monken's is. Last season, Ole Miss was 30th in scoring offense, and 9th in total offense. They were 123rd nationally in offensive time of possession. It will be interesting to see how Bateman's roll the dice and press their luck blitzing defense is going to work late in games during their 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th times on the field. Maybe often, even more times than that. They had plenty of opportunity to rest in games when they played for Army. Those won't be in plentiful amount in Chapel Hill.....

Reactions: Raising Heel
The Belk Bowl has a lot of Gamecock fans on edge. Will Muschamp-coached teams have not had the greatest offenses, but his South Carolina teams have been playing kids since his first season as head coach in 2016. In '16 and '17 combined, USC had more freshmen starters than anyone else in CFB during those years. The team came into 2018 with a lot of veteran experience.

And it showed mostly in their offense: even despite that Belk Bowl performance, USC's offense was statistically the best offense Muschamp has had in any previous year at either Florida or USC. And he'll have most of that offense return for 2019.

The defense meanwhile, was the worst statistical defense Muschamp's ever had. The injuries and lack of depth behind the starters - who got injured - wore the defense down as the season progressed. In August and September, they allowed 23.5 ppg, in October they allowed 28.3 ppg, in November it was 36.0 ppg. In Aug./Sept. they allowed 330.5 ypg, in October it was 433.0 ypg, in November it was 555.0 ypg (!!). By the bowl game, the team was an exhausted shell, and the staff barely put the team through half the available bowl practices they were allocated.

The positive side of that coin however, is that most of the defense returned for 2019. Some 67% of the defensive production, including the entire Front 7 minus Allen-Williams. And because of the injuries, younger players last season that were either planned to be red-shirted, or get very measured, limited snaps last season but was forced into major minutes and production throughout the season, will now be much more experienced and seasoned for 2019 than they otherwise would have been.

This allows the defensive staff to be more liberal in their rotations, and have more trust in those players. At least, that's their plan....

How each team's lines of scrimmage perform, in regards to the run game: both teams return veteran depth at RB; both team's run defense in 2018 was abysmal.

Which defensive line will be able to dictate the LOS and frustrate the offensive backfield the best: both offenses will be heavy on the pass if their offensive coordinators have things their way - more passes, and more explosive pass plays, which will result in longer timed pass plays, which will give the defenses more time to penetrate the OLs and rush the passer. Will the OLs hold their ground? Will the QBs rush their progressions and miss-time their throws, creating opportunities for turnovers?

Which offense will stay on the field the longest: despite USC's offense being the best yet statistically under Muschamp, it also had a dubious distinction of being dead last in 2018 in CFB in time of possession. This was due to quick-strike scoring drives, and due to the defense not being able to get the opposing offenses off of the field, again due to their injury issues. There was also the issue of Bentley and the offense committing crucial turnovers, particularly in the red-zone and in goal line plays. As major a priority for the Gamecocks in 2019 is reduce the turnovers as much as possible.

UNC's Jay Bateman's defenses at Army has been hyped non-stop by Tar Heel insiders for how quickly they got opposing offenses off of the field. What non-Tar Heel insiders have been noting is that defenses can typically be boosted when the sibling offense is specifically designed to help the defense out: Army's defenses under Bateman have been ranked 15th, 32nd, and 10th nationally in scoring defense in 2016, 2017, and 2018 respectively. Also, they have been ranked 4th, 32nd, and 8th in total defense during those years as well.

Army's offenses under Jeff Monken have been ranked 59th, 46th, and 35th in scoring offense those same years. Nothing eye-popping there. They've also been ranked 65th, 76th, and 77th nationally in total offense. Again, nothing that stands out there.

Here is where it is: Army ranked 3rd, 4th, and 1st nationally in offensive time of possession for 2016, 2017, and 2018 respectively. Army runs a triple-option flexbone offense that is designed by Monken to stay on the field, to churn out 1st downs, and then to stay on the field some more. And by doing this, they keep more talented opponent's own offenses OFF of the field. They run the ball - think of Georgia Tech under Paul Johnson - they don't rack up the offensive total yards as the above rankings show, but they were 2nd, 1st, and 2nd nationally in rushing offense in CFB the last 3 years.

That's actually better than the Johnson GT teams during those years. And Army averaged about 6-7 passes per game the last 3 seasons. In 2016 and 2017 they were dead last in FBS.

This is what Bateman is bringing his defense from, and what he's bringing them to: Phil Longo's Air Raid offense is about as far to the other end of the universe of an offense as Monken's is. Last season, Ole Miss was 30th in scoring offense, and 9th in total offense. They were 123rd nationally in offensive time of possession. It will be interesting to see how Bateman's roll the dice and press their luck blitzing defense is going to work late in games during their 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th times on the field. Maybe often, even more times than that. They had plenty of opportunity to rest in games when they played for Army. Those won't be in plentiful amount in Chapel Hill.....
I think most knowledgeable Heels fans know that Bateman's defenses numbers at Army were aided by the huge TOP advantage that the Black Knights had. It may not be discussed much, but we are certainly aware.

What we do expect is to see a more fundamentally sound and disciplined defense than we have under the previous regime. For sure, Bateman will need quality depth at UNC to succeed, as his D will be on the field a lot more at Carolina than what he experienced at Army. That being said, Mack's return has greatly improved our recruiting, especially on the defensive side of the ball. We know it's gonna take a few years, but at least we can see that better things are on the horizon.

THI is Running a nice special.

Tar Heel Illustrated is pleased to announce our "Mack is Back Special" promotion celebrating the start of a new football season. With Mack Brown returning to the Tar Heels' sidelines, enthusiasm is back in Chapel Hill.

Tar Heel Illustrated wants you to become part of our community and take advantage of this great opportunity to get the latest coverage of North Carolina football, basketball, and recruiting.

Offer: Premium Access Free until bye week! (First payment date is set to 10.08.19). Annual subs that stay on after first payment will get sixth months addedto their subscription. Monthly subscribers will get one month added to their subscription.

Promo Code: MackIsBack

Offer valid through 09.27.19(the day before the Clemson game).

New users (use on social, inside free content, front page)

https://northcarolina.rivals.com/sign_up?promo_code=MackIsBack

Thanks Charles Dickens.

I will say it again: Muschamp is no fool and knows that if he loses to UNC, meaning he has lost 3 straight games to an ACC team, he will be on a Hot Seat. How he and his staff and players handle that pressure is key to the game, perhaps more important than how UNC freshman QBs fare.

SoCar is expected to win. UNC was awful the past 2 seasons and now has a new coaching staff and a new offense and new defensive scheme.

Nice poast. Wish more visitors could learn to have respectful exchanges like this.

Like Mark said, most Tar Heel fans are aware how Bateman's defenses benefited from Army's offensive style. We're worried how it will fare now that it's paired with an up-tempo offense. What's really concerning is that his top-10 defense last season allowed 5.6 yards per play, which was 59th nationally. They were only on the field for 52.9 plays per game, the fewest in the nation.

I've poasted stats for the South Carolina-North Carolina game next weekend for anyone interested. The thing that stands out to me is the defensive split between running plays and passing plays. Both teams' defense faced far more running plays -- nearly 60% of plays defended -- because neither could effectively stop the run. "There are three things that can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad." That gave rise to a number of other problems like the TOP issue you mentioned. Anyway, I suspect that'll be one of the biggest factors in determining who wins on Saturday.

Here's hoping for an entertaining games with no injuries.

I will say it again: Muschamp is no fool and knows that if he loses to UNC, meaning he has lost 3 straight games to an ACC team, he will be on a Hot Seat. How he and his staff and players handle that pressure is key to the game, perhaps more important than how UNC freshman QBs fare.

SoCar is expected to win. UNC was awful the past 2 seasons and now has a new coaching staff and a new offense and new defensive scheme.

I have said this also all the pressure is on them....I hope we can keep it close....And not get embarrassed...

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Nice poast. Wish more visitors could learn to have respectful exchanges like this.

Like Mark said, most Tar Heel fans are aware how Bateman's defenses benefited from Army's offensive style. We're worried how it will fare now that it's paired with an up-tempo offense. What's really concerning is that his top-10 defense last season allowed 5.6 yards per play, which was 59th nationally. They were only on the field for 52.9 plays per game, the fewest in the nation.

I've poasted stats for the South Carolina-North Carolina game next weekend for anyone interested. The thing that stands out to me is the defensive split between running plays and passing plays. Both teams' defense faced far more running plays -- nearly 60% of plays defended -- because neither could effectively stop the run. "There are three things that can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad." That gave rise to a number of other problems like the TOP issue you mentioned. Anyway, I suspect that'll be one of the biggest factors in determining who wins on Saturday.

Here's hoping for an entertaining games with no injuries.

This will be one of the more intriguing "chess games" within the game. I totally agree with you - this is a game where both OCs are of the nature and mind-set to want to dictate the offense via the passing game, but where the softest areas of each defense may be against the run. It will be interesting to see how each OC responds to this match-up.

I personally think UNC may be in a stronger position here. USC's RBs are solid, when they are healthy, but that's been the biggest question during the Muschamp years. I think UNC's RBs are more solid here.

However, two games from 2018 is one that I am reminded of here: against Vanderbilt and Tennessee. On the season the Gamecocks were about as balanced an offense as one could expect: 444 total rush plays, and 443 total pass plays. Vanderbilt had a decent overall defense, but was known to be shaky against the run. USC ran 48 times for 273 yds and 3 tds, and passed 28 times. It was the most rushing attempts in a game for 2018.

The Vols also had a porous run defense last season, by the time we faced them. They improved substantially in the last month, to make their overall numbers look better, but through October they were down towards the bottom of the conference. Against them we ran 40 times for 224 yds and 2 tds, and passed only 16 times.

So I could see ourselves run the ball predominantly if it looks to be effective for us against y'all. But still, I see you guys being in a better position with your RBs, and especially with such a young QB as starter. I think the smart play for our defense is to force your QB to throw, and see if he can win the game on his arm....

And I also hope for an entertaining game - as I know how season-opening games can be like - as well as no injuries. It's a long season ahead for both our teams...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT