ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

A lot of excitement in this thread today. 🎉
UnevenAbsoluteIaerismetalmark-size_restricted.gif

cheerleaders.gif

Reactions: TarHeelMark
We’re overrated. I love the improvements and recruiting and the future is bright but we still have a lot of holes. People expecting 10 wins and playing for the acc title gonna be disappointed. Syracuse and Bc both bullied us. And tbh we got out coached today. Unless some people start playing a helluva lot better VT gonna romp our asses.

Reactions: strummingram
We’re overrated. I love the improvements and recruiting and the future is bright but we still have a lot of holes. People expecting 10 wins and playing for the acc title gonna be disappointed. Syracuse and Bc both bullied us. And tbh we got out coached today. Unless some people start playing a helluva lot better VT gonna romp our asses.
A lot of serious holes!

I dunno if the game next Saturday being played at home will make a difference or not.

There is no real home advantage when there's empty stadiums. Heels are definitely overrated. Hopefully we'll look better next week since we won't have another 3 week layoff.
We'll see. I think the VERY costly penalties were the biggest culprits today. The INT Sam threw deep in UNC territory was crucial, too. It's such a deceptive season anyway. I guess we're fortunate to have anything to watch, but there's no way to really know how good any of them are.

Eliminate the fluke interception and the dumb penalties and we probably win comfortably by two or three scores. Playing bad sucks but if a team can play badly and still win then that's a good sign.

This team is capable of playing several notches above the level its playing at right now. At the end of the day we're 2-0 and I still think we're gonna beat Va Tech. I think Sam settles in a lot more next week after the long hiatus.

UNC is better than they have shown but not as good as the hype...yet. It's coming, but not this year, IMO.
Teams have taken away our deep ball and those killer slants to the middle. As soon as Sam starts settling for his check-down and stops standing there holding the ball the offense will click a little better. He's looking for that big strike.

UNC is better than they have shown but not as good as the hype...yet. It's coming, but not this year, IMO.
Teams have taken away our deep ball and those killer slants to the middle. As soon as Sam starts settling for his check-down and stops standing there holding the ball the offense will click a little better. He's looking for that big strike.
Exactly right. Sam has shown us already he knows how to read all the way through his check-down's with success. For some reason, he's been trying to force the deep ball when it's not there instead of going through his progressions. That's going to get cleaned up.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I agree the fluke interception made the game way closer than it was. We are gonna have to settle for fewer big plays at least until we get defenses to adjust. Love more screens to our RBs. They are studs. Some injuries yesterday too...that’s my biggest concern

Rankings are no more or less subjective than any other year. Might as well enjoy the ride.

#8 is crazy. Good chance to move up a spot or two if we beat Va Tech as well.

Isn't VT a perennial thorn-in-the-side of UNC?

Yes. But they only beat dook by a TD yesterday so I don't think they're as tough as some people think they are.

It's going to be interesting to see how many guys we are missing on Saturday though. Can't afford a bunch of major injuries

Watching Mack's press conference now. Why would you try to draw the defense offsides and get a free shot at the end zone when you're gashing them with the run? No need to get cute there. That makes Longo seem even dumber than if he had just called a run in hopes of catching them off guard.

All that being said, we lost a ton of close games last year, and so far it looks like the team has improved enough to start winning those close games. That's probably good enough for 9 or 10 wins most years, but there's a lot more work to do to get to Clemson's level.

Watching Mack's press conference now. Why would you try to draw the defense offsides and get a free shot at the end zone when you're gashing them with the run? No need to get cute there. That makes Longo seem even dumber than if he had just called a run in hopes of catching them off guard.

All that being said, we lost a ton of close games last year, and so far it looks like the team has improved enough to start winning those close games. That's probably good enough for 9 or 10 wins most years, but there's a lot more work to do to get to Clemson's level.
Longo needs to go.

Looks like Va Tech will still be missing some guys in the secondary this weekend. Big opportunity for Sam and co. to put up big numbers in the passing game.

How are two ranked teams playing at noon? The ACC gets a D- for scheduling the game times on this one.

Looks like Va Tech will still be missing some guys in the secondary this weekend. Big opportunity for Sam and co. to put up big numbers in the passing game.

How are two ranked teams playing at noon? The ACC gets a D- for scheduling the game times on this one.
Any word on Storm Duck?

The network decides the times. The conference just decides the matchup and date.

The network decides the times. The conference just decides the matchup and date.

Then I'll be writing a strongly worded letter to ABC.

That being said, if you start pulled pork right before bed, it's pretty much perfect for a noon start. But there is not a lot of time for beer drinking unless you are an early riser.

Then I'll be writing a strongly worded letter to ABC.

That being said, if you start pulled pork right before bed, it's pretty much perfect for a noon start. But there is not a lot of time for beer drinking unless you are an early riser.
Technically you should address it to Mickey Mouse at Disney. And there's nothing wrong with drinking the night before. Just make sure to drink enough that you wake up drunk.

Technically you should address it to Mickey Mouse at Disney. And there's nothing wrong with drinking the night before. Just make sure to drink enough that you wake up drunk.

I would never go into Saturday cold. Ya gotta grease the gears Friday night just to be safe.

a noon start time at least avoids the Spectrum cable stupidity (I hope). This past week they continued the previous game in progress, then finally put a blurb at the bottom that our game was on ESPNNEWS...which isn't listed that way in the guide and which also was listed as showing something else, not football related. So I finally found it but only after missing a good portion of the first quarter. Then after a commercial break, they switched back to the original channel without notice and I missed more of the game before realizing what was going on. Luckily I was recording it so I ended up not missing any of the scoring, but because of Spectrum's nonsensical DVR setup, I had to keep hitting record as the game went over into two more programs.

Another advantage for the Heels is that the likely starter at QB for VT missed the first two games, so he'll probably be at least a little bit rusty. But if we can't slow down their ground game then that's probably not going to matter. If I'm Bateman then I sell out to stop the run and make Hooker beat us early. If he makes big throws then make an adjustment. But everyone knows they're going to come out and try to establish the run so our guys need to be ready for a war in the trenches.

Another advantage for the Heels is that the likely starter at QB for VT missed the first two games, so he'll probably be at least a little bit rusty. But if we can't slow down their ground game then that's probably not going to matter. If I'm Bateman then I sell out to stop the run and make Hooker beat us early. If he makes big throws then make an adjustment. But everyone knows they're going to come out and try to establish the run so our guys need to be ready for a war in the trenches.
They are going to run it down our throats if we let them. Fortunately, we have a DC who knows how to play the game. They line up and punch us in the mouth every year it seems. Last year we fought back. This year I think we kick the bully's ass.

Reactions: uncboy10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT