ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

I said in the game thread on Blue Heaven that I'd be ok with hiring a coach who will hit players with a bat.
you would have loved Woody Hayes. I knew somebody who he recruited and he said he left the team pretty quick. Said Hayes was insanely abusive.

I watched it... he made a huge mistake. And, that's cool. Learn from it, fine. But, it just speaks to the fact that this show is over.
I only saw AJ's take on it on TV. Unless I'm missing something I'm not going to call it a blunder until I see how the team responds. I hope it responds by ringing that bell.

I would be fine with consistent 9 win seasons, as long as they avoid a total clusterfvck like Saturday. People can talk UNC football culture and all of the conjecture ad assumption and subjectivity that brings.

Players are getting PAID, out in the open, now. Getting 70 points hung at home in a game where UNC was a double-digit favorite and lost by double digits... that should NEVER happen.

Maybe this loss creates a shift in the whole thing, from every possible perspective, on every level.

I only saw AJ's take on it on TV. Unless I'm missing something I'm not going to call it a blunder until I see how the team responds. I hope it responds by ringing that bell.
On the previous page, I said... "if they go on a ferocious tear..."

If the dookies take the bell back, Brown should start talking to a realtor.

I watched it... he made a huge mistake. And, that's cool. Learn from it, fine. But, it just speaks to the fact that this show is over.

The real story should be about how fans responded to the rumor about what he said in the locker room. I’m perfectly happy to forgive emotional responses to a loss. I’ve had plenty myself as a fan. But the vast majority of us were happy to hear he might be stepping down. As you said, the show is over.

And IMO, NIL money should be less about HS recruiting (front 7 aside) and more about retention and acquisition.
this cannot be stated enough and it’s why nil has gotten out of control…this is the reason i was for it, to keep and acquire.

hs kids should not be involved at all in any payment or promise of payment…that’s where it becomes unfair and unbalanced.

let the schools gather resources, if they choose, to retain and recruit through the portal, period.

this cannot be stated enough and it’s why nil has gotten out of control…this is the reason i was for it, to keep and acquire.

hs kids should not be involved at all in any payment or promise of payment…that’s where it becomes unfair and unbalanced.

let the schools gather resources, if they choose, to retain and recruit through the portal, period.
And maybe Bama can afford to pay people who "flop", we cannot.

Reactions: gteeitup
And maybe Bama can afford to pay people who "flop", we cannot.
it also emphasizes the importance of kids committing to schools and coaches because the original recruiting concept is “it’s not just four years, it’s forty years”…its cheesy, but that is so important to kids that have zero shot at the league.

i don’t know…i hate the fact that a legendary coach is holding carolina back because of people not expecting greatness and unwilling to do whatever it takes to achieve great things from a football program…this shit is rare, like pittsburgh pirate baseball rare.

How many teams have "CEO" coaches, like Mack, who aren't actually X&O guys (aren't at least helping scheme & scout competition as well as yourself). It feels most HC have been coordinators at some point. I know Mack was an OC back in the 80's for a minute, but it sounds and feels like he's not involved with our O.

How many teams have "CEO" coaches, like Mack, who aren't actually X&O guys (aren't at least helping scheme & scout competition as well as yourself). It feels most HC have been coordinators at some point. I know Mack was an OC back in the 80's for a minute, but it sounds and feels like he's not involved with our O.
My guess is most of them are and the ones who aren't don't do well. A good head coach has to keep his eye on every part of the game.

if other teams see the chinks, UNC may not win another game this season.
Sad Adam Ruins GIF by truTV’s Adam Ruins Everything

We’re gonna get throttled by duke.
Probably. I don't know what to think.

The loss to JMU was so bad that it's hard to believe it was just a fluke. It's actually a surprise to me that the UNC offense scored 50 points with Criswell.

I'll stick with my prediction of 5-7. I'm not sure where the other 2 wins will come from. Maybe Wake forest? Brown is not allowed to beat FSU. The Seminole Mafia will come for his thumbs, if that happens.

I put in a late night... watched Miami at Cal. That was a GREAT GAME! I don't particularly like Miami. I don't particularly like Cal. But, it was fun watching the Bears blow a 35-10 lead and lose the game 39-38. Although, I do believe Miami got away with a blatant targeting call that would have made a huge difference.

I love this guy's reaction!

<iframe width="315" height="560" src="" title="How&#39;s This Not A Targeting Call? Miami gets BAILED out AGAIN! #miami #cal #collegefootball #football" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I put in a late night... watched Miami at Cal. That was a GREAT GAME! I don't particularly like Miami. I don't particularly like Cal. But, it was fun watching the Bears blow a 35-10 lead and lose the game 39-38. Although, I do believe Miami got away with a blatant targeting call that would have made a huge difference.

<iframe width="315" height="560" src=" " title="How&#39;s This Not A Targeting Call? Miami gets BAILED out AGAIN! #miami #cal #collegefootball #football" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
that’s two weeks in a row

Reactions: strummingram
that’s two weeks in a row
I only saw some footage of the VT/UM game. I saw the Cal game. There was another play where Cam Ward PROBABLY was over the LOS when he completed a pass on the final drive. But, that wasn't too obvious.

That targeting call was about as obvious as you could ever hope to see. That would have extended the Cal drive and ejected the Miami player. But... the no-call allowed the game to stay close and gave Miami the chance to score one more time. Gotta give Cam Ward credit... that dude was cool as a cucumber.

Reactions: gteeitup

<iframe width="315" height="560" src=" " title="How&#39;s This Not A Targeting Call? Miami gets BAILED out AGAIN! #miami #cal #collegefootball #football" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I can see why the knee-jerk reaction is to see it as targeting. But if there were other angles to see it with, it might well have been determined that the Miami player was going shoulder to shoulder and that any helmet to helmet contact was insignificant and incidental.

Here I found this...

That looks more like what I was saying. The QB became a runner, and a runner has to be clearly targeted for there to be a penalty. Close call I guess, but I don't think he was clearly targeted if at all. And if I'm any official, I don't want to change the course of a game over a call I'm not absolutely sure of.

Reactions: Archer2
I can see why the knee-jerk reaction is to see it as targeting. But if there were other angles to see it with, it might well have been determined that the Miami player was going shoulder to shoulder and that any helmet to helmet contact was insignificant and incidental.

Here I found this...

That looks more like what I was saying. The QB became a runner, and a runner has to be clearly targeted for there to be a penalty. Close call I guess, but I don't think he was clearly targeted if at all. And if I'm any official, I don't want to change the course of a game over a call I'm not absolutely sure of.
Miami player lead with the crown of his helmet. The angle I showed proves it. I don't care who won, I got to keep watching the game. The Canes got bailed-out again.

Miami player lead with the crown of his helmet. The angle I showed proves it. I don't care who won, I got to keep watching the game. The Canes got bailed-out again.
no, the angle you showed does not prove targeting. It suggests the possibility of it and that's all. To be targeting, the offending player is using the crown of his helmet to make contact, or purposely going for the head/neck area of a defenseless player ( a runner is not considered defenseless ). That isn't the same as contact being incidentally made while tackling with other parts of the body, especially when helmet crown contact isn't perfectly clear. What is clear is that although the tacklers head was lowered and that helmet to helmet contact was apparently made, the tackle was principally shoulder to shoulder.

That targeting call was about as obvious as you could ever hope to see. There was another play where Cam Ward PROBABLY was over the LOS when he completed a pass on the final drive. But, that wasn't too obvious.
I stayed up and watched that game, too. Like you, I'm no fan of Miami and I'm even less a fan of Cal. But that was a hell of a comeback. As for the targeting call, you are right. That was clearly targeting and should have been called.

As for Cam Ward's dump to the tailback in the flat during the game-winning drive, initially I thought his entire body had crossed the line of scrimmage which would have pushed them back to the 30 and brought on fourth down. However, this replay shows he had not crossed the 25-yard line and actually released the ball at around the 26. I've cued this up and reduced the speed:

EDIT: Unfortunately, the video plays back at live speed here but you can adjust the playback speed in the settings for a clearer view.

Last edited:
I stayed up and watched that game, too. Like you, I'm no fan of Miami and I'm even less a fan of Cal. But that was a hell of a comeback. As for the targeting call, you are right. That was clearly targeting and should have been called.

As for Cam Ward's dump to the tailback in the flat during the game-winning drive, initially I thought his entire body had crossed the line of scrimmage which would have pushed them back to the 30 and brought on fourth down. However, this replay shows he had not crossed the 25-yard line and actually released the ball at around the 26. I've cued this video up and reduced the speed:
Imagine being a Cal fan! At home, first ACC game... all the hype and prep that happened the day of the game. It was buzzing there. And, then the game looked like a blowout. And, they lose in the last minute! I remember seeing the footage of Ward's mom in the crowd. That place was PACKED FULL! That is demoralizing!

Imagine being a Cal fan! At home, first ACC game... all the hype and prep that happened the day of the game. It was buzzing there. And, then the game looked like a blowout. And, they lose in the last minute! I remember seeing the footage of Ward's mom in the crowd. That place was PACKED FULL! That is demoralizing!
I have to admit I enjoyed it. My first experience with Cal fans was in 2017 at Kenan when four Cal fans sat directly in front of us. They weren't entirely belligerent but they certainly enjoyed getting the win that day. Then a year later my wife and I went to the game in Berkeley.

I found that a stadium full of Cal fans can be a pretty intolerant group of people, especially when the Heels are getting their butts kicked. It was the opening game of Fedora's last season and in typical style of that era, we were shut out the first half, played much better the second half, but it was too little too late. Sort of ruined an otherwise nice week in the Bay area.

Reactions: strummingram
no, the angle you showed does not prove targeting. It suggests the possibility of it and that's all. To be targeting, the offending player is using the crown of his helmet to make contact, or purposely going for the head/neck area of a defenseless player ( a runner is not considered defenseless ). That isn't the same as contact being incidentally made while tackling with other parts of the body, especially when helmet crown contact isn't perfectly clear. What is clear is that although the tacklers head was lowered and that helmet to helmet contact was apparently made, the tackle was principally shoulder to shoulder.
again, in defense of that call and my continued defense of it...a targeting call is not the same as any other penalty. Throwing the flag and reviewing a targeting penalty mimics our notion of justice. The offender is charged but considered innocent until proven guilty (by the automatic review process). If there is a reasonable doubt as to his guilt, the flag is dismissed. If replay duplicates what the ref saw and there is not enough evidence to create doubt about it, then the player is disqualified. That's a harsh penalty, so it shouldn't take much doubt to be considered reasonable enough to have the case settled in favor of the charged player. I saw more than enough doubt to create a healthy dose of by God American justice being carried out even there in a football game. I tear up a little because I love America....

giphy.gif

...why do some hate it and what it stands for by wanting to impose an unfair targeting penalty like some angry third world lynch mob?

When they first started cracking down on this kind of play, the idea was to protect the players well-being and it may have been necessary to forgo the doubt process in order to get the point across. In other words, targeting was probably judged too harshly to begin with to that end. Now the point has been pretty well made and instances of possible targeting have diminished, and it's easy to see that players have largely learned to avoid the kind of contact in question. So reason has come back into the picture and the play we are discussing was reasonably decided. IMHO, of course.

again, in defense of that call and my continued defense of it...a targeting call is not the same as any other penalty. Throwing the flag and reviewing a targeting penalty mimics our notion of justice. The offender is charged but considered innocent until proven guilty (by the automatic review process). If there is a reasonable doubt as to his guilt, the flag is dismissed. If replay duplicates what the ref saw and there is not enough evidence to create doubt about it, then the player is disqualified. That's a harsh penalty, so it shouldn't take much doubt to be considered reasonable enough to have the case settled in favor of the charged player. I saw more than enough doubt to create a healthy dose of by God American justice being carried out even there in a football game. I tear up a little because I love America....

giphy.gif

...why do some hate it and what it stands for by wanting to impose an unfair targeting penalty like some angry third world lynch mob?

When they first started cracking down on this kind of play, the idea was to protect the players well-being and it may have been necessary to forgo the doubt process in order to get the point across. In other words, targeting was probably judged too harshly to begin with to that end. Now the point has been pretty well made and instances of possible targeting have diminished, and it's easy to see that players have largely learned to avoid the kind of contact in question. So reason has come back into the picture and the play we are discussing was reasonably decided. IMHO, of course.
I don't think even getting laid more frequently is going to help you. When you are writing diatribes to yourself... you're beyond help.

I don't think even getting laid more frequently is going to help you. When you are writing diatribes to yourself... you're beyond help.
no denying that. But the diatribe wasn't to myself, I just used my own post so as to address all whom it may have concerned. And I bet you read it and can't disagree with it, which is why you're going all ad hominem on me. Water off a duck's back, my friend, you should know that by now.

And don't worry, I don't consider you a loser that much. I was actually phishing for you to come back with your 'you argue endlessly and you have to have the last word' response and you disappointed me.

Count me as another that thought it was targeting and Cal should have won. There may not be a conspiracy to get Miami into the playoffs but it damn sure looks like it. Two weeks in a row the Canes have gotten a once-in-a-season bailout call that directly gave them the win. But who cares. The ACC is a joke and any ACC team that finds themselves in the playoff is going to get whipped.

Count me as another that thought it was targeting and Cal should have won. There may not be a conspiracy to get Miami into the playoffs but it damn sure looks like it. Two weeks in a row the Canes have gotten a once-in-a-season bailout call that directly gave them the win. But who cares. The ACC is a joke and any ACC team that finds themselves in the playoff is going to get whipped.
re: the previous game that you said they got bailed out of, I didn't see the game so I youtubed that play just a while ago. It looked like the VT guy never caught the ball; it came loose as he was hitting the ground and the Miami guy took it away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT