ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

We're gonna have to just agree to disagree on this one. I really don't think the middle gives a rat's behind about Disney's free speech being tamped down. On the other hand, I think the middle is into the concept of it's ok or even good to be all inclusive, tolerant, big tented, etc., but it's an entirely different matter to be out there screaming at the top of your lungs to push an agenda - and that's corporate Disney to most people. People just want a great place to take their kids and have entertaining movies. They don't want to be bombarded with messaging or agendas the entire time.
Take it for what it's worth.

You are right, however, about the swing voters ultimately controlling things. But trump's people, his true people, aren't staying home, they are voting for him and there are those who will be voting for anyone except him. Or, are you exclusively speaking about the general (I had thought you were previously saying Desantis could never beat trump due to Disney)?
Talking about both and again, I'm not saying it's the only reason. It's just a big unforced error that will cost him votes in the general and primary.

The middle, or independents, even some never-Trumpers are probably more concerned with Fiscal matters than social matters. So they probably didn't care much about Disney's messaging in the first place.

I've forgotten what Disney did or said, my assumption is that it was about masking & covid, maybe vaccines, maybe book banning?

So the middle probably don't care about Disney's messaging, but they do see that a) Desantis is trying to cripple a business over speech [big no-no for fiscal conservatives], b) he botched the job badly.
It was mostly about them coming out against his "don't say gay" bill. That's when he started targeting them. Messing with free speech is a big negative for me. No way would I vote for someone who wants to use government to punish people that disagree with them. It's literally one of the main reasons this country was founded. It amazes me that republicans would abandon a core tenant of their beliefs just because they don't like a company. Imagine the uproar from the right if liberal governors started pulling business licenses for Chick-fil-A over the gay marriage issue.

The middle, or independents, even some never-Trumpers are probably more concerned with Fiscal matters than social matters. So they probably didn't care much about Disney's messaging in the first place.

I've forgotten what Disney did or said, my assumption is that it was about masking & covid, maybe vaccines, maybe book banning?

So the middle probably don't care about Disney's messaging, but they do see that a) Desantis is trying to cripple a business over speech [big no-no for fiscal conservatives], b) he botched the job badly.
lol. You first acknowledge that it's a complete non-issue, but it's then a problem that Desantis would attack the non-issue? I know you probably have been told to hate and attack Desantis because orange must win the primary for Joe to win reelection, but I hope you can see this contradiction.

Secondly, Desantis being painted as unfriendly to business? Have you looked at Florida, you know, the place that stayed or reopened to business and is killing it economically? My recollection is that Desantis attacking Disney as a "business" was because they previously had self rule granted to them as opposed to every other business that is subject to local and state procedures. That's not crippling, just fair.

Reactions: Archer2
It's going to hurt him in the primaries, because it gives Trump ammo. Republicans and Trump voters are irrelevant in the general just like Dems. It's about the middle. Going at Disney by trying to take away their free speech isn't going to appeal to the middle. And the only people that upset at Disney are on the right. You are vastly overrating the people mad at Disney and their so called "wokeness."

The past two elections have literally been decided by less than 100k votes spread out over certain states. Going after Disney will cost him those votes, not gain them. I can already hear Trump telling his voters to stay home instead of voting for a guy who's so weak and dumb he can't even beat a mouse. That's exactly what he's going to do.

Where are you getting that going after Disney will cost Ron votes? People hate Disney. Disney is like the capital of Woke right now. People hate woke. Independents are sick of woke, especially the trans flavor. Even the people still wasting their money by taking their toddlers there hate Disney. And if they don't hate Disney, show them this guy:

NYPICHPDPICT000011964875.jpg

I bet they hate Disney now.

It was mostly about them coming out against his "don't say gay" bill. That's when he started targeting them. Messing with free speech is a big negative for me. No way would I vote for someone who wants to use government to punish people that disagree with them. It's literally one of the main reasons this country was founded. It amazes me that republicans would abandon a core tenant of their beliefs just because they don't like a company. Imagine the uproar from the right if liberal governors started pulling business licenses for Chick-fil-A over the gay marriage issue.
That was my recollection as well. Disney attacked him, so he started looking into and fighting their self rule status that gives them huge advantages over every other business not so designated in Florida. And I am completely on board with you regarding the right to free speech. For example, I'll totally die on the hill defending one's right to burn the flag, even if I think it's an a-hole move.

But, this is where we differ in that my recall is that Desantis NEVER had a Don't Say Gay bill. You calling it that is the problem in a nutshell and that's why he attacked Disney and every other LIAR and purveyor of misinformation. The bill was Don't Say Anything About Anything Until Age Appropriate. That's all it was and the word gay isn't ever mentioned in the bill. Free speech isn't about one's right to completely mischaracterize something and have the MSM assist you in spreading that falsehood. Disney jumped right on that lie train, so they were fair game.

"No way would I vote for someone who wants to use government to punish people that disagree with them." This pretty much sums up the entire Biden administration and agency control. I'm pretty sure you have indicated you'd never vote for trump, now we know Desantis is out. Is there anybody left that you would vote for?

Take it for what it's worth.

What's it worth? Essentially nothing. This time two elections ago, Trump was polling in single digits and he became our president. This is the last time to worry about polls and popularity contests. Besides, if you look at the actual poll you cited where only repub's were considered, Desantis had big numbers over Disney. That was before he had announced, before he'd started running ads, before he had his first appearance in Iowa (today) and all the other things that go with running. Not so shockingly with a Newsweek article with old data, headlines can be deceiving.

Where are you getting that going after Disney will cost Ron votes? People hate Disney. Disney is like the capital of Woke right now. People hate woke. Independents are sick of woke, especially the trans flavor. Even the people still wasting their money by taking their toddlers there hate Disney. And if they don't hate Disney, show them this guy:

I thought this was a parody until I clicked on the link. And honestly, those socks and shoes just do not go with the outfit or character.

• Haha
But, this is where we differ in that my recall is that Desantis NEVER had a Don't Say Gay bill. You calling it that is the problem in a nutshell and that's why he attacked Disney and every other LIAR and purveyor of misinformation. The bill was Don't Say Anything About Anything Until Age Appropriate. That's all it was and the word gay isn't ever mentioned in the bill. Free speech isn't about one's right to completely mischaracterize something and have the MSM assist you in spreading that falsehood. Disney jumped right on that lie train, so they were fair game
That's why I put it in quotes, but aren't you the guy who said Carlson should be able to say whatever he wanted to? It's fine for him to say anything, but not for Disney to "mischaracterize."

"No way would I vote for someone who wants to use government to punish people that disagree with them." This pretty much sums up the entire Biden administration and agency control. I'm pretty sure you have indicated you'd never vote for trump, now we know Desantis is out. Is there anybody left that you would vote for?
I haven't decided who I'm going to vote for. I know it won't be Trump, Biden or Desantis. I need to hear everyone else's pitch. Then I'll decide.

What's it worth? Essentially nothing. This time two elections ago, Trump was polling in single digits and he became our president. This is the last time to worry about polls and popularity contests. Besides, if you look at the actual poll you cited where only repub's were considered, Desantis had big numbers over Disney. That was before he had announced, before he'd started running ads, before he had his first appearance in Iowa (today) and all the other things that go with running. Not so shockingly with a Newsweek article with old data, headlines can be deceiving.
First, it's not that old and it was widely known he was going to run before his announcement. Second, the reason I posted it was to show how off base you were with your popularity assertions at the moment. We can check back in after a few months if you want to see if independents still like Disney.

Except people don't hate Disney. You're confusing your family and friends with people across the country.

That's why I put it in quotes, but aren't you the guy who said Carlson should be able to say whatever he wanted to? It's fine for him to say anything, but not for Disney to "mischaracterize."

I haven't decided who I'm going to vote for. I know it won't be Trump, Biden or Desantis. I need to hear everyone else's pitch. Then I'll decide.
Yes to Carlson, and if he was factually wrong or mischaracterizing things, it's fair for him to be attacked accordingly by you or anyone else. Disney is no different. Carlson has suffered the backlash, so why isn't Disney fair game as well? If you wade into the waters, you can't complain about being bitten by what lurks unseen below. Disney picked a fight with a very popular governor when they could have just kept entertaining, doing their their thing on the sidelines, and stayed out of politics. They don't get to have it both ways.

Fair enough on the voting summary. These are the choices we have, or lack thereof. Don't worry, I hear Chris Christie is getting ready to announce any minute, lol.

First, it's not that old and it was widely known he was going to run before his announcement. Second, the reason I posted it was to show how off base you were with your popularity assertions at the moment. We can check back in after a few months if you want to see if independents still like Disney.
It was conducted between April 20th and 24th, which is light years old at this point in the campaign season when a single tweet can kill someone's popularity (but I get your point that it wasn't from, say, six months ago). Secondly, it was done in an opt-in online method which naturally skews to a younger, more social media influenced voter pool - not to mentioned those choosing to participate likely tend to have more activist tendencies. That's versus the middle of the road people I thought we were talking about - you know, the type who immediately ignore an ad, delete an email, hang up their phone or politely shut their doors when they realize it's about a poll or politics. I stand by the position that's it's essentially worth nothing.

Lastly, don't get lost in the silly setup or premise being pushed. It's not about Disney being popular or not being popular or independents liking Disney. They aren't running for president. But it does result in clicks and ad revenue. The issue is whether Desantis loses significant national votes against other, actual candidates, especially in the early primary states, because he has attempted to change the deal Florida has with Disney - a pretty local issue to Florida. I'd truly be shocked if even 20% of people voting in the early primaries can even articulate what the issue is between Desantis and Disney, and then further that it would influence their votes. You are giving most voters way too much credit of being informed.

You first acknowledge that it's a complete non-issue, but it's then a problem that Desantis would attack the non-issue?
It is two entirely different issues. One is Disney's behavior/stance, the other is Ron's behavior/stance. The latter is a fundamental problem to people who believe in 1st Amendment, less intrusive government, etc.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I'd truly be shocked if even 20% of people voting in the early primaries can even articulate what the issue is between Desantis and Disney, and then further that it would influence their votes.
True, but all they need to know is he F'd with disney over free speech and is getting his ass kicked.
You are giving most voters way too much credit of being informed.
They don't need to be fully informed, they just need to know the one-line above, and all Ron's critics are going to make this widely known.

It is two entirely different issues. One is Disney's behavior/stance, the other is Ron's behavior/stance. The latter is a fundamental problem to people who believe in 1st Amendment, less intrusive government, etc.
But that's just it. You hide behind the 1st Amend. because you agree with the lie. Have you even read the actual law or just the catchy jingle? So, Disney gets to throw up the 1st A claiming they can say whatever they want, but it's somehow not covered by the 1st A when they are challenged by someone for their false claims? The beauty of the 1st A is that it covers both sides to make idiots of themselves.

Btw, those that truly want less intrusive government would actually agree with Desantis. Disney should have no special advantage over any other businesses in Florida. Giving Disney a bunch of breaks and advantages is exactly that - government intrusion. Thus, moving to remove them is not intrusive, just equalizing the playing field between all of them.

True, but all they need to know is he F'd with disney over free speech and is getting his ass kicked.

They don't need to be fully informed, they just need to know the one-line above, and all Ron's critics are going to make this widely known.
But he didn't F "with disney over free speech". He is f'ing with them over false speech. Countering the narrative and the mischaracterization that you push and so freely buy into is the constant challenge that he or any middle to right candidate combats. An informed voter is your greatest nightmare.

The Disney case will still be happening and I have no doubt that Trump will tell his supporters to stay home, assuming he doesn't run as a third party. It won't take much. Just a few thousand in the right districts and Biden wins the EC again. Trump has ****ed the party by not staying away.
TELLING his supporters to stay home and those actually staying home are 2 different things.

if it's Trump v Biden again, we're getting 4 more years of what we have now. Trump is UNELECTABLE.

if this Disney situation is the primary "hot button" issue that the Dems and Trump will use to tear down Ronny D, he's as good as elected. it's a gigantic nothingburger overall. SURELY they will come up with something more impactful and damaging.

if this Disney situation is the primary "hot button" issue that the Dems and Trump will use to tear down Ronny D, he's as good as elected. it's a gigantic nothingburger overall. SURELY they will come up with something more impactful and damaging.
Apparently the Disney situation is bigger than organizing and leading an insurrection, being impeached twice, calling fraud over election results, being in a circle jerk with Putin, terrible health policy over covid, being a pig towards women, paying off an affair to keep quiet, and letting prostitutes pee on you. Note to Ron: don't ever admit publicly that you've been to Universal more than Disney.

• Haha
Reactions: bleeduncblue
Apparently the Disney situation is bigger than organizing and leading an insurrection, being impeached twice, calling fraud over election results, being in a circle jerk with Putin, terrible health policy over covid, being a pig towards women, paying off an affair to keep quiet, and letting prostitutes pee on you. Note to Ron: don't ever admit publicly that you've been to Universal more than Disney.
it's starting to look like the Libtards are TERRIFIED of Ronny D. and i dont blame them. he would win the GE, is more Conservative than Trump AND actually has done the things he said he would do as FL Gov. scary indeed!

But he didn't F "with disney over free speech". He is f'ing with them over false speech. Countering the narrative and the mischaracterization that you push.
I'm not pushing it, Trump will be and everyone anti-desantis will be. Call it "false speech" or "free speech" or whatever you want. Ron went after them because they criticized a bill and it it could be a national courts issue.
But that's just it. You hide behind the 1st Amend. because you agree with the lie. Have you even read the actual law or just the catchy jingle?
No, and neither have most of the "middle voters". That's just it!

FYI, i don't think anyone is saying this disney issue is catastrophic or crippling. It's just one of a few very visible eggs on his face that were self-inflicted with very little upside.

Except people don't hate Disney. You're confusing your family and friends with people across the country.

After seeing steady growth from 2014 to 2019, they have seen massive decreases in visitors since. Sure, the pandemic is largely responsible but is that still a thing? 2023 numbers are down again.

Disney+ is has lost subscribers in the last two quarters totally over 6 million.

Disney popularity fell 12 spots here also:

They're cutting jobs. Writers are on strike. They're being neutered by Big Dick Ron.

Disney is losing. They are far less liked today than maybe anytime in its history. Why are you denying this?

My recollection is that Desantis attacking Disney as a "business" was because they previously had self rule granted to them as opposed to every other business that is subject to local and state procedures. That's not crippling, just fair.
my take as well

I'd truly be shocked if even 20% of people voting in the early primaries can even articulate what the issue is between Desantis and Disney,
I'd be shocked if 80% could articulate any issue beyond 'that good' and 'that bad', and even those articulations would be based on a vague general sense that would arise from having half-heard something from here and there, and of course what side of the fence one is on.

For instance, to frame this dispute as a freedom of speech issue is a stretch to say the least, and it's a propaganda ploy. It's about Disney's excessive and misbegotten autonomy, and the suit should go nowhere. But the judge is an obama appointee apparently, so who knows.

And when I say that the freedom of speech issue is a ploy, I don't mean to say that it won't be tried on that basis. I'm just saying that it's bullshit in the mind of any reasonable person.

Last edited:
no he isn't. I think YOU are confusing affected local Floridians with the country at large.
Local Floridians? Which ones? The diversity in a state like Florida is pretty vast. Northern Florida, undereducated white people? They consume confirmation bias from talk radio and TV news that just reinforce their biases. They're in pockets all over the state, just like most states. Rural versus city mindsets, and there are miniscule numbers in reverse. Trumpism has created yet another outlet for antiquated fear. Yay!

I bet there are a helluva lot of Floridians who couldn't care less about Desantis and his crusades against Disney, or homosexuals, or whatever is supposed to be scaring crystallized white people. They're embarrassed by his stance. I know quite a few of them, personally.

Trump will be the GOP nominee, regardless.

Federal prosecutors from DOJ are currently in possession of a tape recording of Donald Trump from his Bedminister Golf Club in 2021 with aides and an author preparing a book about Mark Meadows during which Trump states that he has in his immediate possession a classified Pentagon document from Joint Chief of Staff General Mark Milley regarding military plans vs Iran.
During the conversation, he states that he would like to share this document but understands that
he can’t because it’s “classified”.
This contradicts previous statements that he made during which he claimed that he had no classified documents
in his possession. Ooops 🤨

Last edited:
Federal prosecutors from DOJ are currently in possession of a tape recording of Donald Trump from his Bedminister Golf Club in 2021 with aides and an author preparing a book about Mark Meadows during which Trump states that he has in his immediate possession a classified Pentagon document from Joint Chief of Staff General Mark Milley regarding military plans vs Iran.
During the conversation, he states that he would like to share this document but understands that
This contradicts previous statements that he made during which he claimed that he had no classified documents
wonderful news! DeSantis 2024 😎

Reactions: Archer2 and blazers
Oh no!!!!!

deadpool-gasp.gif

Local Floridians? Which ones? The diversity in a state like Florida is pretty vast. Northern Florida, undereducated white people? They consume confirmation bias from talk radio and TV news that just reinforce their biases. They're in pockets all over the state, just like most states. Rural versus city mindsets, and there are miniscule numbers in reverse. Trumpism has created yet another outlet for antiquated fear. Yay!

I bet there are a helluva lot of Floridians who couldn't care less about Desantis and his crusades against Disney, or homosexuals, or whatever is supposed to be scaring crystallized white people. They're embarrassed by his stance. I know quite a few of them, personally.

Trump will be the GOP nominee, regardless.
Jeezus, dude. It just means that the people who care the most about this are in Florida, and not all over the country. How can that simple idea become in your mind the looney tune you just posted?

I love these gems..

Trumpism has created yet another outlet for antiquated fear. Yay!
antiquated fear? I guess fearing antiquated fears is more modern than fearing modern idiocy like wherever it is you're coming from. LMAO

I bet there are a helluva lot of Floridians who couldn't care less about Desantis and his crusades against Disney, or homosexuals, or whatever is supposed to be scaring crystallized white people.
what is a crystalized white person, and who said there aren't a helluva lot of Floridians who don't give a shit about whatever it is they don't give a shit about? People who don't give a shit about whatever it is they don't give a shit about are very common everywhere. All I said was that the ones who do care about Desantis vs. Disney are mostly in Florida and not so much across the country. Across the country, the undecideds who care may not take Disney's side as much as suggested, IMO.

Jeezus, dude. It just means that the people who care the most about this are in Florida, and not all over the country. How can that simple idea become in your mind the looney tune you just posted?

I love these gems..

antiquated fear? I guess fearing antiquated fears is more modern than fearing modern idiocy like wherever it is you're coming from. LMAO

what is a crystalized white person, and who said there aren't a helluva lot of Floridians who don't give a shit about whatever it is they don't give a shit about? People who don't give a shit about whatever it is they don't give a shit about are very common everywhere. All I said was that the ones who do care about Desantis vs. Disney are mostly in Florida and not so much across the country. Across the country, the undecideds who care may not take Disney's side as much as suggested, IMO.
"Affected" local Floridians will somehow manage, I'm sure. They've got a shotgun, rifle, and a four-wheel drive, they can skin a buck and run a trout line.

Are we surprised at all about any this classified doc stuff? That he took the docs, hid the truth and lied about them, obstructed recovery and fact-finding, and failed to do what his attorneys recommended?

Are we surprised at all about any this classified doc stuff? That he took the docs, hid the truth and lied about them, obstructed recovery and fact-finding, and failed to do what his attorneys recommended?
and how he had classified docs stashed in a box next to the Vette in the garage. No, wait, that was......different.

"Affected" local Floridians will somehow manage, I'm sure. They've got a shotgun, rifle, and a four-wheel drive, they can skin a buck and run a trout line.
and they have those voice-activated trotlines. I hear they're all the rage down there.

• Haha

pftt.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/31/politics/trump-tape-classified-document-iran-milley/index.html

Read the entire article to the end. If you make it to the end, you'll have learned that Trump discussed the subject in reaction and rebuttal to that well-publicized warning that Trump might start some conflagration as he left the presidency. He was just doing some justifiably retaliatory finger-pointing, and in doing so he referenced a classified document that hasn't been verified to even exist.

And he was talking to a journalist/author who by nature was champing at the bit for something noteworthy to disclose. If that was me, I might also have stonewalled and sidestepped any disallowed verification using the tactic of the refenced document being classified.

This is a nothingburger in the context given. Of course to those inclined to nonsensically believe the worst about Trump, it means he was caught on video raping an aardvark in the WH basement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT