ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (State game)...

Interesting note: Platek was the primary defender on CJ Bryce. Although it was Bryce's 2nd game in a row that he had not scored a point. Andrew defended him well.

Ugh. I hate doing this - but this isn't really accurate. He started each half on Bryce but for huge stretches he guarded Daniels who had 17/6/3 and we started switching every ball screen so we were matched up all over the place.

Andrew played well but let's keep things accurate.

e but for huge stretches he guarded Daniels who had 17/6/3 and we started switching every ball screen so we were matched up all over the place.

Andrew played well but let's keep things accurate.[/QUOTE]

Dadika, read point 6 of Adam Lucas' article, he said somewhat what I said, then, if you disagree that's alright with me. I was there, and AP had the primary defensive assignment on him for most of the game and he did a very good job defending him. It's Ok with me if you see it differently.

Lucas: Rapid Reactions
  • By Adam Lucas
    1. Given the circumstances, best win of the year? Best win of the year.
    2. Carolina wasn't flawless, but the Tar Heels were just good enough to earn a 75-65 win over NC State on the road. Carolina has now won two games in a row and it feels like about twelve in a row.
    3. The mystery is how, exactly, the Tar Heels did that. One big answer is Garrison Brooks, who continues to be sensational. Brooks added another 25 points and 11 rebounds against the Wolfpack. Paired with Armando Bacot's 11 points and 11 rebounds, Carolina had two terrific performances in the paint (and also held a 42-31 rebounding advantage).
    4. Brandon Robinson struggled through a 2-for-5 shooting performance on a night when his ankle and rib were in constant pain. But he kept coming back from the Tar Heel locker room, and he made huge free throws down the stretch to ice the game (on a night when Carolina missed three second half front ends of one-and-ones). The senior demonstrated some toughness on Monday night.
    5. Don't look now, but Leaky Black is playing some solid point guard for the Tar Heels right now. The sophomore, who said after the game he is much more comfortable at the point now than he was a month ago, hit five of his nine shots, made a three-pointer, and scored 11 points. More than any specific stat, though, he was simply steadying for a UNC offense that sometimes got a little loose when he was out of the game.
    6. Really, you could go down the box score and list a way that every player who played for the visitors helped the Tar Heels win. In fact, maybe we'll do that. Andrew Platek's defense on C.J. Bryce helped hold Bryce—State's highest scoring player—to an 0-for-8 performance from the field. It's true that Platek is not as athletic as some of the players he guards. But he is slowly turning into a good positional defender who makes the man he's guarding work for his offense. He also had a fearless drive and hoop on State big man D.J. Funderburk in the second half.
    7. The Tar Heel graduate transfers, Christian Keeling and Justin Pierce, combined for seven straight points during a key stretch in the second half when it felt like the game was in the balance. Keeling hit a couple nice midrange jumpers and had four points in his 24 minutes. A number both would like to improve: they combined for just one more rebound than Wanda.
    8. Carolina again played without Jeremiah Francis, who missed his second straight game. As a team, the Tar Heels have now missed 64 games due to injury, which ties the most in the Roy Williams era (also 64 missed in 2008-09).
    9. In the absence of Jeremiah Francis, K.J. Smith gave Carolina 11:27 of backup play at point guard and grabbed four rebounds during that stretch.
    10. With two straight wins, the Tar Heels now have some life. The way they've held together in the absence of Cole Anthony—who said in the postgame locker room he feels he's very close to returning (but still needs medical clearance)—is extremely impressive, and they've got the chance to put together a nice little win streak with a win on Saturday against Boston College. Some positive momentum is needed, because next week (at FSU, home against Duke) is one of the toughest on the schedule.
    11. The quick turnaround from Saturday's game against Miami is something that will have to become familiar--and unfortunately, it will get more difficult in the weeks to come. Going on the road in the back half of the Saturday-Monday turnaround is the more difficult assignment, and the Tar Heels will travel to Florida State a week from tonight. Later in February, they'll journey to Notre Dame for a Monday game after a Saturday night home tilt against Virginia. That's just the nature of the ACC in 2020.
    12. State fans wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking about Roy Williams. The Carolina head coach is now 36-4 against the Wolfpack as a head coach, and 31-4 as the head coach of the Tar Heels. Those are simply incredible numbers against any team, much less an opponent that desperately wants to beat Carolina more than any school on their schedule.

Last edited:
e but for huge stretches he guarded Daniels who had 17/6/3 and we started switching every ball screen so we were matched up all over the place.

Dadika, read point 6 of Adam Lucas' article, he said somewhat what I said, then, if you disagree that's alright with me. I was there, and AP had the primary defensive assignment on him for most of the game and he did a very good job defending him. It's Ok with me if you see it differently.

Lucas: Rapid Reactions
  • By Adam Lucas
    1. Given the circumstances, best win of the year? Best win of the year.
    2. Carolina wasn't flawless, but the Tar Heels were just good enough to earn a 75-65 win over NC State on the road. Carolina has now won two games in a row and it feels like about twelve in a row.
    3. The mystery is how, exactly, the Tar Heels did that. One big answer is Garrison Brooks, who continues to be sensational. Brooks added another 25 points and 11 rebounds against the Wolfpack. Paired with Armando Bacot's 11 points and 11 rebounds, Carolina had two terrific performances in the paint (and also held a 42-31 rebounding advantage).
    4. Brandon Robinson struggled through a 2-for-5 shooting performance on a night when his ankle and rib were in constant pain. But he kept coming back from the Tar Heel locker room, and he made huge free throws down the stretch to ice the game (on a night when Carolina missed three second half front ends of one-and-ones). The senior demonstrated some toughness on Monday night.
    5. Don't look now, but Leaky Black is playing some solid point guard for the Tar Heels right now. The sophomore, who said after the game he is much more comfortable at the point now than he was a month ago, hit five of his nine shots, made a three-pointer, and scored 11 points. More than any specific stat, though, he was simply steadying for a UNC offense that sometimes got a little loose when he was out of the game.
    6. Really, you could go down the box score and list a way that every player who played for the visitors helped the Tar Heels win. In fact, maybe we'll do that. Andrew Platek's defense on C.J. Bryce helped hold Bryce—State's highest scoring player—to an 0-for-8 performance from the field. It's true that Platek is not as athletic as some of the players he guards. But he is slowly turning into a good positional defender who makes the man he's guarding work for his offense. He also had a fearless drive and hoop on State big man D.J. Funderburk in the second half.
    7. The Tar Heel graduate transfers, Christian Keeling and Justin Pierce, combined for seven straight points during a key stretch in the second half when it felt like the game was in the balance. Keeling hit a couple nice midrange jumpers and had four points in his 24 minutes. A number both would like to improve: they combined for just one more rebound than Wanda.
    8. Carolina again played without Jeremiah Francis, who missed his second straight game. As a team, the Tar Heels have now missed 64 games due to injury, which ties the most in the Roy Williams era (also 64 missed in 2008-09).
    9. In the absence of Jeremiah Francis, K.J. Smith gave Carolina 11:27 of backup play at point guard and grabbed four rebounds during that stretch.
    10. With two straight wins, the Tar Heels now have some life. The way they've held together in the absence of Cole Anthony—who said in the postgame locker room he feels he's very close to returning (but still needs medical clearance)—is extremely impressive, and they've got the chance to put together a nice little win streak with a win on Saturday against Boston College. Some positive momentum is needed, because next week (at FSU, home against Duke) is one of the toughest on the schedule.
    11. The quick turnaround from Saturday's game against Miami is something that will have to become familiar--and unfortunately, it will get more difficult in the weeks to come. Going on the road in the back half of the Saturday-Monday turnaround is the more difficult assignment, and the Tar Heels will travel to Florida State a week from tonight. Later in February, they'll journey to Notre Dame for a Monday game after a Saturday night home tilt against Virginia. That's just the nature of the ACC in 2020.
    12. State fans wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking about Roy Williams. The Carolina head coach is now 36-4 against the Wolfpack as a head coach, and 31-4 as the head coach of the Tar Heels. Those are simply incredible numbers against any team, much less an opponent that desperately wants to beat Carolina more than any school on their schedule.

It's fine if you think that - I also watched the game and saw AP on Bryce for about 8 game minutes, before the under 16:00 TOs each half. Again, I don't want this to derail the thread and we can end it with that we saw different things.

What David said, yeah, you could see it in Garrison's eyes, "stop me if you can" and they had no answer. That tends to rub off on Mando too.
And also on Platek, as '75 said, kid does not always get to & stay in front of the ball, but dang even then, he can run along side the player and he was disruptive to their guards on a number of shots.

Had a great room mate years ago...he'd wave that little UMd flag when we played. We had fun but he was not a cretin like some NVsu or Merryland fans.
Platek defends the way our guys are taught. He forces baseline and is almost always in the right Help position. And sometimes, especially earlier in the season, he was the only guy doing that consistently. Thus he sometimes got hung out to dry either by teammates (parrticularly newcomers) not rotating, or by trying to cover for someone else's missed assignment. He was eventually told to stop worrying about breakdowns elsewhere and just stick with his assignments. That and the improvement of our team defense in general have made life easier. But the notion that Andrew wasn't a good defender is one of the most absurd I've ever seen on here.

Dang our team fights like Champs! Seems like this least gifted bunch has found a secret. Hard work pays off! Anybody who still can't see the contributions of peeps like AP and KJ ....well let's just say they are watching an entirely different game than me! Brooks is a beast and should be AA and 1st Team ACC! BRob is a warrior approaching Hans and Jordan levels of grit!

It's fine if you think that - I also watched the game and saw AP on Bryce for about 8 game minutes, before the under 16:00 TOs each half. Again, I don't want this to derail the thread and we can end it with that we saw different things.

That's fine dad, at least we agree that while AP is not an ideal athlete, he does do what is asked of him by the coaching staff even when he is unsuccessful at it.

Yes he did and that's to his credit. Just wish his shooting touch would return. I have seen a fair amount of practices and he is the best long range shooter. But, again, that's in practice. He really needs to translate that to some games.

Yep, 100% mental at this point.

I think he, similar to BRob, needs one hot game and it will turn his season around. We saw BRob against Miami break out and if he's healthy I'd bet much better things are to come from him the rest of the way. Need AP to get one of those games.

Can’t remember what coach said it but it was something alone the lines of you must hit shots in a game to be a good shooter. Everybody is a good shooter in practice.

we desperately need consistency from somebody, anybody to hit shots from the outside. It helps us in so many ways offensively. BRob has been great shooting the ball lately and need it to pick up. If we could magically get a second threat from outside, itd help exponentially.

Reactions: Tarheel75
Yep, 100% mental at this point.

I think he, similar to BRob, needs one hot game and it will turn his season around. We saw BRob against Miami break out and if he's healthy I'd bet much better things are to come from him the rest of the way. Need AP to get one of those games.

I have thought about it and think that along with it being a mental block, his shooting confidence in games is lacking. The other night, he had several opportunities to shoot and wouldn't pull the trigger, and pissed the 5 of us setting in our row off.

Really, the best thing a shot maker can do to rid himself of this problem, is to keep shooting. He's hesitant, and that may be on Roy's shoulders, as he should tell him to shoot. Roy also knows he is the best long range option when he is shooting well.

Can’t remember what coach said it but it was something alone the lines of you must hit shots in a game to be a good shooter. Everybody is a good shooter in practice.

we desperately need consistency from somebody, anybody to hit shots from the outside. It helps us in so many ways offensively. BRob has been great shooting the ball lately and need it to pick up. If we could magically get a second threat from outside, itd help exponentially.

Damn straight, and Roy's right too. As I mentioned in a post with dadika, the whole team and coaching staff knows he is a very good shot maker from distance, the best on the team, although, that's as you pointed out
doesn't mean much if you cannot translate it to games. It's a confidence issue and he is hesitant to shoot it, as I mentioned to dadika.

Reactions: Archer2
Agree on most points here with respect to AP. Not usual UNC talent, but other than Brob and Garrison nobody has played well. AP though has the best A:TO on the team, and they're not all easy assists. He's making entry passes at the right time and location which has been a challenge. He's also sneaky around the basket. Has a floater and somehow gets position for easy layups. Shooting 51% for 2. If his 3's were falling he'd be a reasonable backup.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yes he did and that's to his credit. Just wish his shooting touch would return. I have seen a fair amount of practices and he is the best long range shooter. But, again, that's in practice. He really needs to translate that to some games.
75, I've been banging my head looking for those 3s to drop but his interview on the podcast reminded me how bad his ankle had been pretty much all season. That can certainly affect mechanics. He can shoot the rock... Adam was talking about watching him go like 16/18 in practice drills, just needs to see it go thru in games. You can tell watching he's pressing some, but I'll tell ya to his credit his floor game hasn't suffered a bit.

My memory for details is not as good as I wish.

We had a guy years ago who was decently rated and reported to be deadly as a jump shooter in practice. The best on the team iirc, but it almost never translated into games. I always forget his name even after I am finally able to figure it out. Can't even say for sure when he played. But it seems similar to Andrew wrt to his shooting prowess. Deadly in practice but not so much in games.

Like others I sure wish AP could make to translation to game time dead-eye assassin. It would help us immensely. In fact would help immensely if ANYONE becomes that guy.

EDIT: Guy I was thinking about was Max Owens. 1997-2001.

Max's numbers were way better on 3 pointers, but again, iirc, Max would kill it in low pressure games but tended to fade against better competition and in tighter game situations. My apologies to Max if I am mis-remembering or unfairly reporting on his performance.

Last edited:
All I know is I wanna see AP hit about 5 treys vs BC, and show us how good he can shoot.

Same for Justin and Christian. Would to Iove to see them get in a groove, and become a viable option that gives the opposition one more shooter to worry about.

Last edited:
Dang our team fights like Champs! Seems like this least gifted bunch has found a secret. Hard work pays off! Anybody who still can't see the contributions of peeps like AP and KJ ....well let's just say they are watching an entirely different game than me! Brooks is a beast and should be AA and 1st Team ACC! BRob is a warrior approaching Hans and Jordan levels of grit!
I agree, save when you go over the top. This team easily could have quit. Instead, it is fighting to the bitter end. If they play in the NIT, I will be watching.

Ugh. I hate doing this - but this isn't really accurate. He started each half on Bryce but for huge stretches he guarded Daniels who had 17/6/3 and we started switching every ball screen so we were matched up all over the place.

Yep, being 100% accurate AP guarded Bryce (a lot), Daniels (a good bit) and Beverly (a few possessions).

I just rewatched and as we know Bryce had an 0-for, and neither he nor Beverly scored while Platek was guarding them. Daniels scored 6 on Platek --- AP got caught on a back-door for 1 basket, and the other 2 buckets were tough circus shots while being well-guarded --- AP also stoned Daniels man-up on a few other occasions, including a nice ball-stop in transition down the stretch, so he more than held his own.

Bottom line is he guarded three different guys known for their scoring chops and held them to 6 on his watch, so it's also accurate to say Platek played a pretty damned strong defensive game

I loved the win in rawlee but honestly I think it says a lot more about how bad a coach Keatts is than anything UNC did.

I said it once and I’ll say it again. Good news is ACC sucks so we can find ways to be competitive even with the group we have. Bad news is ACC sucks so it’s a little bit of fools gold when we win, Bc outside of top 3 there’s no top 40 teams in the league which is sad.

Reactions: Lydia green
I assume the "over the top" part was either AA or 1st Team ACC for Brooks. I truly believe that if UNC had simply closed out the games we were leading in the second half, he would be considered for both honors. Also, I have always believed that it is silly to have those honors be position based and not just the 5 best. As it is, Brooks should be on one of the All ACC (and could sneak a mention for AA if we go on a run) teams if he continues to consistently beast the competition!

Also. Platek driving 1 on 4 for the layup was hilarious. There was a quote from him where he says he thought he could get the dunk. Didn't happen but oh man that would have been sweet.

Garrison turning into one of my favorite players. Came at a time when we were desperate and has worked his but off. Where would we be if he hadn't committed. Ouch.
He's the epitome of a UNC player, one who works hard, pays his dues, and continues to get better and better. Listening to Platek, Garrison is obviously the leader of this team. If he doesn't make the All-ACC Team, it is a farce.

Yeah, I clearly remember some here being less than impressed with Garrison as a recuit and I tried to advise otherwise. He has become a stalwart for us and I'm not surprised.
I remember that as well. He has become our rock in the middle, much as Meeks was for that championship team. I have much respect for Garrison's character and work ethic, it is paying dividends for him and our team.
As for the 1-on-4, I'm sure some folks get tired of the coaching cliches, but it's worth repeating that rule #1 in transition defense is "STOP THE BALL!", and conversely for an offensive player, if nobody's gonna stop ya, keep going. Plates had the savvy and the nuts to take it to the rack.
Yeah, it really is amazing how often that simple rule is ignored. And in the half court, one of the things we still haven't mastered is preventing someone from driving all the way from the perimeter to the basket. That drives coaches, and this fan, crazy. Someone has to move over and stop the ball.

I was at the arena last night and can confirm the vitriolic screaming, name calling and degrading and unsportsmanlike conduct of more than a few Wolpfack (misspelling intentional) fans. Most of the vitriol was directed at BRob and Andrew, with a heavy dose being handed out to Brooks. The NCSU fanbase is the most unoriginal, stupidest, & plebeian ( even than Maryland fans) in the ACC.
Amen to that.
We have stopped for the most part, of playing hot potato with the ball and are looking more confident and relaxed with the basketball. We are playing decent defense, although we really need to close down the middle of the lane to drives that lead to simple layups for the opponents, there have been too many of those every single game we have played this year. It's a simple fix, I hope Roy will employ the fix.
Agreed, it has been a major concern of mine. We're simply giving up too many easy layups. That needs to improve going forward if we're to make the NCAAT. I do think a lack of lateral quickness on the perimeter has contributed greatly to our inability to stop the ball out front. More focus on preventing penetration may help, but we don't have the lateral quickness on the perimeter that we usually have. There's only so much Roy can do to compensate for that.
If we can win Saturday, then we may have built up enough confidence to play FSU & dook tough next week. While I do not expect us to win either contest, a close game or win will help the team take the steps forward that will be needed for this team to finish .500 in the league and overall hopefully, but I sincerely have my doubts still.
It's going to be very tough, no doubt.

You really gotta give it to Garrison and B-Rob, these two have been giving it everything they have and did so once again last night in a big way with Brandon not being denied from getting back out on the floor making three trips to the locker room, but . I’ll always remember the fight that B-Rob showed, and to think people were criticizing him on social media for not playing at VT. And then Garrison playing like a beast once again and especially providing us with the early life we needed after going down 7-0, the big fella scored 10 of our first 12 points. Great to see a kid who put in the time and has grown so much both on and off the floor during his time here.

I really enjoyed hearing Garrison talk about B-Rob in the postgame saying how Brandon has pushed him to push himself even more, great stuff! Well, Garrison you better also believe that how you have played has impacted the rest of the guys on the team in a big way as well.
Garrison has become the heart and soul of this team, a quiet leader who leads by example. Again, much as Kennedy did. And BRob has really stepped up and assumed a leadership role as well, displaying grit and toughness that is inspiring to his teammates.
I know Keeling and Pierce have gotten a lot of flack from us this year, but both of them hit some big-time shots for us to push our lead from 3 to 8 going into the under 12 media timeout. I felt really good for Keeling as he looked under control, got to his spot and knocked it in without hesitation. If we can get that from him from here on out that would be so huge for us.
They, much like Platek, have gotten quite a bit of flack from posters here. And TBH, they have not played very well. But both are starting to look a little more comfortable and I'm hoping they have turned the corner. We need both to be solid role players off the bench going forward.
And I thought another unsung hero of sorts was KJ especially with him being a key factor in the final two minutes before half where we scored 9 points. It started with him pushing the ball well off a State miss and found Garrison in the mid-post and then he kept moving and made a great backdoor cut where Garrison found him for a score. Then, he found Armando twice for "and 1" opportunities, one of which he converted and the other Brooks was able to get the offensive board and score, so KJ had his hand in 7 of 9 points during that final stretch under 2 minutes. He also came in and was solid from the 4:55 mark to about the 2:20 mark at the end of the game when Leaky checked out with his 4th foul.
Indeed. KJ was instrumental in our win, especially considering the fact that Cole and Jeremiah were unavailable. I was very happy for him.
Speaking of Andrew there is a must listen interview of him on the Carolina Insider pod from today that gives you a little insight into just some of the things that these student athletes go through aside from ups and downs on the court.
That is an outstanding interview. I think every UNC fan here should listen to it. It will demonstrate what a fine young man he is, give you an idea of what he's been going through with his ankle this year, and how hard he's working.
It honestly feels so good to get this one as many State fans really did feel this was the one where they’d get us and Roy went in there and once again stole their brownies for the seventh year in a row!
Roy owns those suckers.

https://art19.com/shows/46e0d447-1130-44a3-949a-c48d07575044/embed?playlist_type=playlist#

The interview with AP has been mentioned. It is rather eye opening.
Do yourself a favor and listen from around the 9-9 -1/2 minute mark.
Very much worth listening to. It's rare to hear a young man talk so openly about his struggles. But he's not a quitter and he will prevail. I'm so glad this young man is on our team.

well said!

I just wish I had said something worthy of being quoted in the avalanche of quotes above! lol!

Reactions: gary-7
Amen to that.
Agreed, it has been a major concern of mine. We're simply giving up too many easy layups. That needs to improve going forward if we're to make the NCAAT. I do think a lack of lateral quickness on the perimeter has contributed greatly to our inability to stop the ball out front. More focus on preventing penetration may help, but we don't have the lateral quickness on the perimeter that we usually have. There's only so much Roy can do to compensate for that.

Archer, it's not so much a matter of lateral quickness as it is being screened by the opposition. It's a simple fix. Once the ball has gotten to the foul line depth, the guys should stop help and not switch defenders. This allows for the man who should have the lane responsibility to move into the lane and block any further advancement, making him either pass it off or shoot a 12-15 ft. shot on the move.

While this will not stop the opposing shooter from making a shot on the move, it will make the odds better that he will either miss the shot or pass it off. Instead of shooting layups for 100% accuracy, you now have cut that by 40-50%, which, in our games can amount to 6-10 points. It's impossible to play perfect defense or offense as you certainly know, but by making a simple change as mentioned, you can make the driver make tougher shots and increase your defensive chances and decrease points scored. In other words, if a man is taking it to the basket on a drive, make it as difficult for him to score as you can.

All I know is I wanna see AP hit about 5 treys vs BC, and show us how good he can shoot.

Same for Justin and Christian. Would to Iove to see them get in a groove, and become a viable option that gives the opposition one more shooter to worry about.
Me too. If that were to happen, we actually might make a little noise. It would certainly open up the offense.

well said!

I just wish I had said something worthy of being quoted in the avalanche of quotes above! lol!
I've quoted you many times, I value your input @TPFKAPFS.

Archer, it's not so much a matter of lateral quickness as it is being screened by the opposition. It's a simple fix. Once the ball has gotten to the foul line depth, the guys should stop help and not switch defenders. This allows for the man who should have the lane responsibility to move into the lane and bock any further advancement, making him either pass it off or shoot a 12-15 ft. shot on the move.

While this will not stop the opposing shooter from making a shot on the move, it will make the odds better that he will either miss the shot or pass it off. Instead of shooting layups for 100% accuracy, you now have cut that by 40-50%, which, in our games can amount to 6-10 points. It's impossible to play perfect defense or offense as you certainly know, but by making a simple change as mentioned, you can make the driver make tougher shots and increase your defensive chances and decrease points scored. In other words, if a man is taking it to the basket on a drive, make it as difficult for him to score as you can.
I appreciate the explanation. I was wondering how we handled switching defenders in that situation. I didn't realize we traditionally stop switching once the ball has reached the foul line, very interesting.

Me too. If that were to happen, we actually might make a little noise. It would certainly open up the offense.

I've quoted you many times, I value your input @TPFKAPFS.

I appreciate the explanation. I was wondering how we handled switching defenders in that situation. I didn't realize we traditionally stop switching once the ball has reached the foul line, very interesting.

Actually, we don't, and thus the open lane. We need to stop once the ball has reached the point I mentioned. If this is employed by Roy, the lane driving will generally dry up if it has been defended successfully several times.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Amen to that.

Archer, it's not so much a matter of lateral quickness as it is being screened by the opposition. It's a simple fix. Once the ball has gotten to the foul line depth, the guys should stop help and not switch defenders. This allows for the man who should have the lane responsibility to move into the lane and block any further advancement, making him either pass it off or shoot a 12-15 ft. shot on the move.

Yep, and it you stymie the initial action without anyone running themselves out of the play, your Big will have time to recover even if a switch occurred --- in other words he can stay below the ball and recover his man under more calm circumstances without a driving lane being open.

Question, why are bigs allowed to hedge so much now? Didnt use to be that way.

Good question Mike, and I don't have a good answer for it, as I, and some others have also asked the same question. I guess Roy would be the one to answer this one, as DES would not let the big men go out past 6 ft. of the basket so that we did not allow a player an easy path to the basket. It has to be a Roy thing I suppose, as I don't support that at all.

Reactions: Archer2
Question, why are bigs allowed to hedge so much now? Didnt use to be that way.
MIkey, I'll offer one answer. As I recall it started at the college level shortly after the 3-point shot became such a big deal. Some coaches (e.g., the Rat) utilized the "hard hedge" to physically (literally in their case) disrupt Guards dribbling across the key off ball-screens. The idea (even if not taken to K's cheating extreme) was to force a wider arc as opposed to the Guard being able to curl and pull up for a relatively easy 3-ball look. Georgetown was also known for that tactic.

Some coaches also believe in it as part of a "deny" defense (e.g., our 22). The net result though has been more and more usage by opponents of high ball-screens (and further out than before) to purposely stress "deny" defenses, in particular the big fellas tasked with the hedging.

MIkey, I'll offer one answer. As I recall it started at the college level shortly after the 3-point shot became such a big deal. Some coaches (e.g., the Rat) utilized the "hard hedge" to physically (literally in their case) disrupt Guards dribbling across the key off ball-screens. The idea (even if not taken to K's cheating extreme) was to force a wider arc as opposed to the Guard being able to curl and pull up for a relatively easy 3-ball look. Georgetown was also known for that tactic.

Some coaches also believe in it as part of a "deny" defense (e.g., our 22). The net result though has been more and more usage by opponents of high ball-screens (and further out than before) to purposely stress "deny" defenses, in particular the big fellas tasked with the hedging.

I can buy that. I don't like the extreme or, as you stated "hard hedge", as it creates too much open space that a simple pass or a good guard can slip through straight to the basket. What's your opinion on this?

Reactions: Archer2 and gary-7
Hard hedge doesn't necessarily open up the open lane. It is an art. If the big studies tendencies he will know how far out and what angle to take for each lead guard. And the on ball defender has to contribute too by helping change the angle or staying in that hip pocket. Our problem is our bigs never hit that sweet spot and many times our guards don't redirect at all. End result is a switch or open lane. Couple that with slow rotations and either too many guys helping or the wrong guy and you have the breakdowns. I see it improving though so I have hope!

I can buy that. I don't like the extreme or, as you stated "hard hedge", as it creates too much open space that a simple pass or a good guard can slip through straight to the basket. What's your opinion on this?
75, I generally agree with you on that. I mean, in the NBA with Klay Thompsons and Steph Curry's bombing from outer Mongolia I can see it, but I believe I'd generally take my chances in college with all but a few guys. Moreover, if our Big can hedge some without losing contact with his man you have the option of "flatting". Going out too far makes it harder for someone to "tag" the roller.

As you said, in Dean's teachings before the 3-pt line the mantra was "stay below the ball" (as much as geometically possible). That said, even he adapted (in the late 80s/90s IIRC) to utilizing more 22 as a default with top-of-the key hedges utilized. Shot clocks also play a role as hedges theoretically force more clock usage.

From what I can see (and have been told) Roy really doesn't like opposing Guards operating without direct challenge, and of course 22 is his preferred look. But even if you're facing a dead-eye shooter with no conscience (like a JJ Reddick) a good perimeter defender is a better option IMO, and the last thing ya want is for a shooter to be able to use our own man as a de facto screener.

Hard hedge doesn't necessarily open up the open lane. It is an art. If the big studies tendencies he will know how far out and what angle to take for each lead guard. And the on ball defender has to contribute too by helping change the angle or staying in that hip pocket. Our problem is our bigs never hit that sweet spot and many times our guards don't redirect at all. End result is a switch or open lane. Couple that with slow rotations and either too many guys helping or the wrong guy and you have the breakdowns. I see it improving though so I have hope!
Very good points and yeah, it's definitely a challenge for everyone to keep their responsibilities, and Mando as a frosh is still learning. A good before-and-after was illustrated when JB was here. Even though he was an absolute dog on-ball, in his Soph year he was getting hung out to dry early on by hedgers getting caught in no-man's land. By mid-season though everyone was starting to "get it" and from that point to the 2017 Natty we got pretty doggone good vs ball-screens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT