ADVERTISEMENT

Quixk stuff (IU game)...

I have watched most of 2 of Bellermine's games, and parts of another. They are 2-6 including losing by 21 to Loyola Marymont. They are getting paid to play the big boys but have been losing by 20 or so to them as well. The only close game was to hapless Louisville and they won that one as part of their 2 wins. My point is you make due with what you have, their reality is different then teams with better talent and the offense and defense has to try to hide it and is limited. They are not having surprising success though at any level of competition.

UNC does need to move the ball much better, I agree, and as many have stated it is all about the lack of a good ball handling point man. If teams can dictate the ball you are in trouble. If Caleb/RJ/Seth whoever can begin to handle mostly 1 on 1 extended ball pressure with a dribble, quickly, we eviscerate over extended half court defenses. They improved last year, as they were attacked even more then this year early and were even worse dealing with it early.

The Bellermine offense concedes they will have problems handling ball hawking dee, and avoids it out of necessity. We need to not allow individual defenders to get all up and into whoever is initiating for us. Attack with the dribble, quickly, make them pay at a disadvantage at that point, avoid the BS side to side easily steered dribbling.
I guess you didn't see the part where I shared they do not have d-1 LEVEL athletes, not sure why you didn't see me add that? Now if you can not appreciate what that team is running then maybe you do not understand this game as much as maybe you could? OK, that seems kinda harsh but really, give credit when it is due. That team is executing offense that a LOT of D-1 teams could learn from, including our own!

I guess you didn't see the part where I shared they do not have d-1 LEVEL athletes, not sure why you didn't see me add that? Now if you can not appreciate what that team is running then maybe you do not understand this game as much as maybe you could? OK, that seems kinda harsh but really, give credit when it is due. That team is executing offense that a LOT of D-1 teams could learn from, including our own!
I saw it and agreed with it. The point is you have to gear your attack around your personal. The UNC ball movement has been woeful, needs to improve, but the Bellermine type is due to being devoid of play makers. Whole different need for an offensive style/philosophy.

Better ball movement with the intent of getting your elite scorers in the best position to score, as Pete Newell preached is what any offense should be about, the way to do it varies based on personal. There is plenty to glean from many teams styles of offense, Bellermine's included, but looking too hard at one can be counter productive and blind you to your teams dynamic, as the pieces are apples and oranges.

No harshness intended on my end if you were offended from what you thought I did not notice you mention in your post, and certainly none taken by me from your reply.

I saw it and agreed with it. The point is you have to gear your attack around your personal. The UNC ball movement has been woeful, needs to improve, but the Bellermine type is due to being devoid of play makers. Whole different need for an offensive style/philosophy.

Better ball movement with the intent of getting your elite scorers in the best position to score, as Pete Newell preached is what any offense should be about, the way to do it varies based on personal. There is plenty to glean from many teams styles of offense, Bellermine's included, but looking too hard at one can be counter productive and blind you to your teams dynamic, as the pieces are apples and oranges.

No harshness intended on my end if you were offended from what you thought I did not notice you mention in your post, and certainly none taken by me from your reply.
Nor did I intend to come off harsh in my reply!

To me, the best aspects of any offense revolve around player movement which in turn allows for great ball movement. That is what really impresses me with Bellermine, that ball moves because their players move, the ball does not get stuck in 1 guys hands, they do not pound the ball around the horn like we do.

Yes, the Bellarinas are devoid of true play makers, not like we have a lot of them either, we have great athletes in our back court for sure but they are not what I consider play makers (note: I do not consider calling your own number play making). Our offense is forced, it isn't the smooth UNC offensive attack we knew and that is due to a severe lacking in ball movement and players standing around rather than moving with a purpose. Right now, defenses are dictating our offense, in other words the other teams defense is attacking us rather than our offense attacking them. IN order to attack the opponents you have to force them to move from their basic positions.

One of the things I see discussed is that teams have now scouted and game planned for the plays we ran that took us thru that last NCAAT, that they can not work now because they have been scouted. Yes but teams scouted Dean's teams, in fact Dean didn't really care that much about scouting opponents, his thing was execute what we do properly and it does not matter if the other teams know what we are going to do. My point is that a great offensive attack executed properly wins, period the end.

Any system that gets the kind of player and ball movement I see with Bellermine gets my attention, I would like to see a LOT more screening action, purposeful screening action, screen the screener then pop to a spot with a passing lane to you and if it is not there IMMEADIATELY cut back thru the lane to set another screen to pop off from. I want to see more screens set than the number of times the ball hits the court with the dribble in the half court! You have great athletes on the level that UNC has, this would be amazing to watch, if we could get them to execute it constantly and consistently.

It starts with the PG and RJ just can’t run this team. Please for the Love of God please put Love back at the point….please baby baby please!
I really dislike your constant attacks on RJ. I mean your over-the-top adulation of Love gets tiresome but at least it's amusing. The attacks, not so much.

That said, the suggestion to put Love at point and RJ at the 2 has been suggested by others and might be worth trying. Let's see Caleb's PG chops, and let's give RJ a chance to regain his shooting touch. Could be good for both of them and the team.

The problem I worry about is whether Caleb will pass to RJ when RJ is in position to shoot. I've watched the same thing happen over and over. Caleb will take the ball and RJ will go to the sideline and position himself to shoot. Caleb never gets him the ball. Intentional or coincidence, I have no idea, but that's what I've seen.

So . . . if Hubert wants to try that, great. But he'll need to impress on Caleb the need to look for RJ. No, not as the top target, but look for him nevertheless.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
I really dislike your constant attacks on RJ. I mean you over-the-top adulation of Love gets tiresome but at least it's amusing. The attacks, not so much.

That said, the suggestion to put Love at point and RJ at the 2 has been suggested by others and might be worth trying. Let's see Caleb's PG chops, and let's give RJ a chance to regain his shooting touch. Could be good for both of them and the team.

The problem I worry about is whether Caleb will pass to RJ when RJ is in position to shoot. I've watch the same thing happen over and over. Caleb will take the ball and RJ will go to the sideline and position himself to shoot. Caleb never gets him the ball. Intentional or coincidence, I have no idea, but that's what I've seen.

So . . . if Hubert wants to try that, great. But he'll need to impress on Caleb the need to look for RJ. No, not as the top target, but look for him nevertheless.
Caleb runs the ball as the PG in games already at times. It doesn't produce any differently. It's why sometimes I am unsure if he actually watches the games or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT