ADVERTISEMENT

Random games thread

Purdue stifled a Maryland comeback to win a close one Sunday. Zach Edey can practically score at will.
When we played UCLA last season, Purdue lost to St. Peter’s. I attended the games in Philly with my brothers
and we kept asking ourselves why the Boilermakers weren’t feeding him all night long. He was very
underwhelming in that defeat and Matt Painter seems to have learned that lesson.

In the nightcap, Caleb torched the Bruins in half two with 27 points. I would like to see that Caleb again soon.
Very soon.
Purdue lacked a true pg last season, and they often reverted to just putting the ball in Jaden Ivy hands when things were not going well.
Ivy tried to do too much that game, and the other guards were one dimensional.
Now they have Smith, Loyer and Jenkins off the bench that are all superior post feeders than they had last season. He often catches passes leading him within feet of the basket, and like you said, he is unstoppable.
Add to that, he is a VERY GOOD ft shooter as well.
If Purdue does not get taken advantage of trying to defend the pick n roll, I think they are the safest bet to reach the FF.

VT is 10-1 ooc
2-7 in conference.

2 acc wins. Unc Duke. Lol what
They are a vetern team, coming off of a successful year. I thought they would be really good this year, instead they have been firmly seated on the struggle bus.

Reactions: Archer2
Illinois is a really tough team for me to get a feel for. They are VERY talented, but wildly inconsistent.
Agree. I have been thinking about this for some time now because I just had a discussion with another person about
" Positionless basketball" My aurgument was that it was a made up term in regards to basketball, used for recruiting purposes. I made the remark that within 2-3 trips up the floor, I as a viewer could tell you what position each player was playing.
Illinois is the absolute outlier for this aurgument lol. I have no idea what position any player besides Dainja is playing on this team lol.
They are rudderless, and they take turns playing a very unconventional style of offense. Both Mayer and Shannon Jr are extremely talented, but their complete lack of a role within the team concept is alarmingly obvious. Those two guys need a role to rely on, rather than their role being all over the place from game to game.
I know Curbelo maybe wore out his welcome, and struggled guarding, but if he was there this team would score much easier than they do on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
He literally said he was perfectly fine after the game and the stretcher and stuff was just precautionary because his neck hurt some at the moment.

Currently watching Wake/Pitt game. We need Pitt to win this game at home and they lead by 9 with 15+ min left in the game.
The defense for both teams in this game is ATROCIOUS!
PITT has shot so many wide open 3's vs Wake it looks like a game of " Around the world"
Pitt on their defensive end can't guard the ball or rebound.
We owe Pitt a big knot next Saturday. Hopefully we will come back from this long layoff and lay the wood to them.
Last time we played after a break, and that didn't turn out well.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We really need Puff back for that Pitt game. Our best matchup for Pitt's starting 3 and 4 is Puff and Leaky. Nance can't get out on the 3pt shooters, and Dunn is too short (as we learned the hard way at the end of the game @ Pitt.)

Blake Hinson for Pitt has (8)three pointers at the under 4 timeout. Pitt leads by 5

Blake Hinson for Pitt has (8)three pointers at the under 4 timeout. Pitt leads by 5
Yup. He's the guy who got 5 crucial points on Dunn at the end of our last game. Shot a 3 over Dunn like he wasn't even there, then got an offensive rebound over Dunn and drew a shooting foul on him.

Wake/ Pitt is a terrific game. If you like offense, this has been very entertaining.

Wake misses the front end of 2 one-and-one opportunities, and also both FTs by Cam Hildreth on a 2 shot foul. Just a brutal way to get a 2 point loss at Pitt.

We really need Puff back for that Pitt game. Our best matchup for Pitt's starting 3 and 4 is Puff and Leaky. Nance can't get out on the 3pt shooters, and Dunn is too short (as we learned the hard way at the end of the game @ Pitt.)
Maybe, but eh, I do not think we have to adjust our strength to matchup to them. I'm good with running our top 5, adjust as needed, sure, if Puff is ready he is a help, very confident they have more issues matching up playing in the Dean Dome to us then the opposite.

That was an entertaining 1st half of basketball by Miami and Dook. Both teams shot the 3 ball well.

Wong has struggled, he has been similar to Caleb for us in the handful of games I've watched the Canes. Will see if he can find his gear in the 2nd half.
Wong will get hot when we play them

• Haha
Maybe, but eh, I do not think we have to adjust our strength to matchup to them. I'm good with running our top 5, adjust as needed, sure, if Puff is ready he is a help, very confident they have more issues matching up playing in the Dean Dome to us then the opposite.
Pitt just set a school record with 18 made three pointers tonight. Including 8 made 3-pointers by Hinson. Did you learn nothing from our loss to them earlier this season? With Leaky defending their leading scorer Burton, that left Hinson matched up with either Nance or Dunn. Hinson used those mismatches to win the game for Pitt. Puff is a far better matchup for Hinson.

Wake knocking off NC State would be profitable for me. Smith with 3 fouls midway through the first half is a good sign.

Wes's boys gave Houston a run. Tough loss though, that would of helped to get some of the heat off of him with the Cincy fans. Houston in a bit of a rut, they were vulnerable.

The Kansas/Kentucky matchup is a very interesting one at this stage of the season to me. The established well rounded team is going through a rough patch, while the talented meddling team seems to be catching their stride @ Rupp, and I played Kansas. This one could be telling.

Just finished watching Florida State give Clemson the game in Tallahassee. Never seen so many bone headed plays in the last minute of a game in quite some time. They had a two point lead with 8.4 seconds remaining, and then let Clemson drive to the basket, fouled him while making the basket resulting in a 3 point play. They lost 81 to 80, all the Florida State had to do was to let him have the basket, and not foul, the worse case scenario would have been overtime.

Reactions: Archer2
Just finished watching Florida State give Clemson the game in Tallahassee. Never seen so many bone headed plays in the last minute of a game in quite some time. They had a two point lead with 8.4 seconds remaining, and then let Clemson drive to the basket, fouled him while making the basket resulting in a 3 point play. They lost 81 to 80, all the Florida State had to do was to let him have the basket, and not foul, the worse case scenario would have been overtime.
Just poor coaching.

Ohio St, Iowa St, Alabama, and Charleston losing today was a hit to us. We dropped 6 ranks in kenpom today. Charleston was almost up to quad 1 for us. Alabama got literally massacred. Ohio St plummet continues.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Purdue looks unstoppable mainly because Edey is unstoppable. The kid just dominated Michigan State like no other player has done in a long time. He can shoot, hit free throws, passes out of the double team as well as anyone I've seen, and obviously can rebound. Doesn't jump off the ground much but at 7'4" doesn't have to. And the rest of the team are no push overs. I think clearly the favorite team at this point in the season to win it all.

Pitt just set a school record with 18 made three pointers tonight. Including 8 made 3-pointers by Hinson. Did you learn nothing from our loss to them earlier this season? With Leaky defending their leading scorer Burton, that left Hinson matched up with either Nance or Dunn. Hinson used those mismatches to win the game for Pitt. Puff is a far better matchup for Hinson.
Burton was 14 for 17 in that game, Hinson was 4 for 14 and yet you say it was Hinson that used the matchups to win that game? Yeah, I learned something from the last game we played them, learned it is a good idea to actually guard Hinson rather than give him clean looks all night? What would really help us win this next game would be for our guards to actually defend Burton so Leaky does not have to turn Hinson over to guys that struggle to defend him.

It was the 31pts from Burton that won that game plain and simple.

Yup. Burton scored over and through us everytime we made a run! He provided the baskets they needed to keep us at bay! He was also scoring on offensive rebounds so if we guard him a little better and put some effort on the defensive boards we will stay golden, Ponyboy!

Burton was 14 for 17 in that game, Hinson was 4 for 14 and yet you say it was Hinson that used the matchups to win that game?
Go re-watch the end of the game. Hinson's 3 over Dunn, and his offensive rebound over Dunn plus shooting foul from Dunn, were the plays the won the game for Pitt.

I just do not see a "we don't match up with that team scenario. Better adjust from our strength type scenario.

Boy, some makes it seem like Pitt dog walked UNC in that narrow win at home. Sure, you sub to how the game plays out on any given day. Pitt has serious matchup issues for them to deal with. I expect the normal amount of minutes on our side, and a double digit type victory, unless we run away and cruise to a victory and can rest down the stretch.

Watching Uva vs. Cuse. Jim Boeheim certainly has his share of W's. But as I see the zone being torn apart, I just wonder if he had played some zone, some man to man throughout the years would his win total be ever greater. How many time throughout the years have we seen teams dismantle the zone only to see Cuse stay in the zone 24/7.

Syracuse had them on the ropes, but were awful at the line down the stretch and coughed it up.
It will be very difficult to catch Clemson and Virginia at this point. They each escaped very close games in the last two weeks and their schedules are much easier than ours moving forward. Even if we beat them both, I don't think we catch them BOTH.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT