ADVERTISEMENT

Which Transfers Should WE Be Looking At? If Any.

He very well may be and I tend to think he will be. Long way to go before July 29th.
I tend to agree with you. I believe he will work his way into the first round after teams start seeing him in workouts.

For those asking why he would leave without a guarantee....sometimes it is not always the kids decision e.g. Kessler (supposedly).

He probably feels his better bet to get on a NBA team would be to be in the G League next season instead of college. I tend to agree with him, he's going to crush workouts and he was apparently our best player in practices last year. Scouts will drool over him.
That is what I feel most are oblivious to. Where is the best place to develop for the league, is paramount in many of these decisions. It is not " I am a ready product a sure top 15 pick now", that is a no brainer. In Sharpe's case I think he, and most believe playing and training with the organization full time that drafts him is the preference.

Last piece Heels need is a center to backup Mondo.
Agreed. Backups and development are about to get weird. Why sit on a bench when you can transfer? There are of course legitimate reasons, and it will be up to each program to convince players to stay. As a fan I'm worried this will be tough to watch. Even when UNC does well I don't enjoy it nearly as much when the players are gone in a year or two.

On the other hand, I was a college athlete. You've got 4 years to play. Do you really want to be a 4 year practice player? Or play spot minutes your junior / senior year?

Quite the pickle.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Agreed. Backups and development are about to get weird. Why sit on a bench when you can transfer? There are of course legitimate reasons, and it will be up to each program to convince players to stay. As a fan I'm worried this will be tough to watch. Even when UNC does well I don't enjoy it nearly as much when the players are gone in a year or two.

On the other hand, I was a college athlete. You've got 4 years to play. Do you really want to be a 4 year practice player? Or play spot minutes your junior / senior year?

Quite the pickle.
One thing coaches can do is give younger or backup players a little more burn on the court.

If you assume the kid is at UNC because he wants to be, but isn't entirely happy because he isn't getting much PT, that seems like an easy fix. Unless he's looking for clearly unreasonable PT.

Of course that could mean teams aren't playing their best guys as much, so aren't as good. It's a different kind of balancing act.

Roy almost always gave all his players some PT. This year, for example, we had 9 guys who played double digit minutes. Kessler wasn't one of them.

We've had plenty of fans bitching that Roy gave lesser players too much burn, and should shorten the lineup sooner in the season. But that burn makes the players happy. And, frankly, I like to see it, too, as a fan. It also may make the less skilled or less ready players understand why they aren't getting so many minutes down the stretch - they had their chances and didn't get there.

Think about a coach like K. Will he give the Jaemyn Brakefields and Joey Bakers more PT to make sure they stick around? Then again, Brakefield left even though he got more PT than Kessler.

Hubert and Efton are at least talking...maybe he can work some magic, he postponed his decision sooo maybe he was not in love with his options. goes without saying there will be a TON of minutes for him since its just mando (possibly)

@InsideCarolina
Senior seven-footer Efton Reid is now willing to listen to Hubert Davis’s #UNC recruiting pitch.

So Coach H is talking to Efron Reid, I assume for our back up big to Mondo. I'm hoping Coach is doing the proper due diligence but, isn't this the kid that folks on this board were saying might not be as good as he thinks he really is?

Hope he comes, but with a realistic expectation and a good attitude. He could learn this year (still with a ton of playing time), star next year and chase his NBA dream the following year. Do kids these days have that kind of patience?

So Coach H is talking to Efron Reid, I assume for our back up big to Mondo. I'm hoping Coach is doing the proper due diligence but, isn't this the kid that folks on this board were saying might not be as good as he thinks he really is?

Hope he comes, but with a realistic expectation and a good attitude. He could learn this year (still with a ton of playing time), star next year and chase his NBA dream the following year. Do kids these days have that kind of patience?
I know nothing about him other then hes a pretty highly ranked 6-11ft center, at the end of the day we need another body, so even if hes not as good as his ranking its better then not having him
This is from Jerry Meyer "Has NBA center size. Game is skill based and not athletically based. Has good footwork and touch in post. Can stretch defense to three-point line. Comfortable with the ball as a passer. Has good hands and rebounds his area. Not a big shot blocker. Positional defender inside. Needs to improve quickness to defend on perimeter"

Can stretch defense to three point line, so if our style of play is really gonna change he might be a really good fit

Reid would be an awesome get.

I had previously heard that Reid was considering going pro. If he's that good, would he be willing to come off the bench?

If Hubert can convince him he's the next Marvin Williams (or, at worst, the next Tony Bradley), he might listen.

Of course if Bacot doesn't return, Reid would start. And we'd still need a backup center.

If he does pick UNC, we probably shouldn't expect him to be around for a second year.

Probably right, and they may have to. But I don't think they'd be good in that role.

Watching Manek's clips, he's not afraid to go inside. But back to the basket is not his game and I fear he won't be durable if we use him that way. Plus, we really need his outside scoring.
Yeah, Manek/McCoy certainly wouldn't be good defenders at the 5. I'd go five-out with them on offense in that position though, would make us pretty deadly (if the guards can shoot... lol).

Another selling point would be that he'll be working out against Bacot. Important for Bacot, too, unless maybe Sean May suits up or Hansbrough is hanging around.

Plus we could pair Bacot and Reid while Manck rests to get some of that 2-post offense we are all craving🙄!

Reid sort of has the Bacot hairdo. Just saying, Bacot can teach him the Carolina Way as well as how to fix the hair style!

Plus we could pair Bacot and Reid while Manck rests to get some of that 2-post offense we are all craving🙄!
Ha.

We may be moving away from that (both intentionally and out of necessity) but we do know how to play that style. Just about the time our opponent makes adjustments to our outside-in game, we could really mess them up with a brief switch to a 2-post game.

Wow. When did he enter the portal?

I wonder if his departure means Duke is getting Baldwin.

Doubt it! They may still end up with him but it’s not why Coleman left...they just got Theo John and K really only plays 2 big guys..if that! Smart move by the kid! I actually really like his game and thought dook could have used him more last year! K has been awful the past 3 or 4 years, some of these kids might be starting to see through the bs

By the way, there’s a lot of rumors flying around that Mark Williams is gone! That would be devastating..he would be really good next year..I know we lost a lot but if we get Bacot back (I think we will) and the addition to Manek...then maybe Reid or another transfer big and I feel really good about our team next year! I think our guards all take a huge leap in all aspects of the game! The addition of McKoy and a much better Puff plus the freshmen will really help on the wing (mainly the 3) where we struggled last year

Dawson Garcia
Jonas Aidoo
Tre Mitchell
Aiden Igiehon
Qudus Wahab
It's my understanding that Aidoo and Wahab are off the table. What about the others?

Who else should be in our sights?

Everyone here knows we need a good big (or 2). Is Hubert just being quiet about his pursuit of those bigs or does he disagree?

Reactions: bobcrane14
It's my understanding that Aidoo and Wahab are off the table. What about the others?

Who else should be in our sights?

Everyone here knows we need a good big (or 2). Is Hubert just being quiet about his pursuit of those bigs or does he disagree?

Garcia declared.

So that leaves Igiehon and Mitchell. I've since heard not great things about the type of kid Mitchell is. No thanks. And I think we'd have seen movement on Igiehon if that was a possibility. Doesn't look like it. I think we're done unless we sign Reid, which is unlikely.

Igiehon signed with Grand Canyon. Garcia never entered the transfer portal. Based only on message board perusal, Tre Mitchell is a package deal with his mother's boyfriend.

Ivan Renko

6'8", originally from Yugoslavia
Bobby Knight loves the kid
I actually wonder if this was Bobby's first lapse in his mental state.

Like, I'm 99% sure he was just screwing with the media/recruiting guys but part of me wonders if he originally messed up and then turned it into a gag.

I actually wonder if this was Bobby's first lapse in his mental state.

Like, I'm 99% sure he was just screwing with the media/recruiting guys but part of me wonders if he originally messed up and then turned it into a gag.

You referenced a "gag". What's the joke here? What am I missing?

You referenced a "gag". What's the joke here? What am I missing?

It's one of those things the internet has ruined cuz you could never pull this off now but I imagine that was incredible back then and made so many look like idiots.

It's one of those things the internet has ruined cuz you could never pull this off now but I imagine that was incredible back then and made so many look like idiots.

There was a lot to like about Bob Knight. Also a lot to dislike.

Reactions: dadika13
By the way, there’s a lot of rumors flying around that Mark Williams is gone! That would be devastating..he would be really good next year..I know we lost a lot but if we get Bacot back (I think we will) and the addition to Manek...then maybe Reid or another transfer big and I feel really good about our team next year! I think our guards all take a huge leap in all aspects of the game! The addition of McKoy and a much better Puff plus the freshmen will really help on the wing (mainly the 3) where we struggled last year

So much for you're rumors flying around.

Reactions: bobcrane14
I’m not askeered of d00k. If Bacot returns, he and Manek will form one of the best starting front courts in the country. I know we have McKoy to back up those two, but we really need another backup PF/C. We can’t afford to go in the season that thin up front.

We really don’t know what’s going to happen at the three spot. It’s assumed that Leaky will start, but I think his margin for error will be less this year, and I have zero problem with that. Every position should be up for grabs every year.

I’m not askeered of d00k. If Bacot returns, he and Manek will form one of the best starting front courts in the country. I know we have McKoy to back up those two, but we really need another backup PF/C. We can’t afford to go in the season that thin up front.

We really don’t know what’s going to happen at the three spot. It’s assumed that Leaky will start, but I think his margin for error will be less this year, and I have zero problem with that. Every position should be up for grabs every year.
Not afraid of dook but the longer Baldwin waits to commit to play for his father the more nervous I get. I expected Williams to stay but he exactly the type of kid that stays in durham only to see k bring in a stud one and done at his position.

puke sux!

Had to get that out of the way first! That being said, Williams is a problem. Bacot would be more than a match for him though. It will depend on which one gets the early fouls IMO. Manek can match their youngsters at 4 so guard play might just determine these!

Reactions: Archer2
Hill Street Blues was one of the best cop shows created! It really had some real lifelike personalities on it! I forgot his name, but I loved the cop who was always grungy like Oscar the grouch!

Hill Street Blues was one of the best cop shows created! It really had some real lifelike personalities on it! I forgot his name, but I loved the cop who was always grungy like Oscar the grouch!
Bruce Weitz as Mick Belker and he was a growler and a biter. I have been rewatching the whole series for the last few weeks on Heroes and Icons channel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT