ADVERTISEMENT

Which Transfers Should WE Be Looking At? If Any.

IIRC, we wanted Bryce as a SG, but he wanted to be a PG.

I wonder if he still wants to be a PG? And if he's willing to be 3rd in line for a year.

His stats aren't very good but that could be due to low PT. I assume he still has the potential we saw back then. But he's only listed as 6'5 195, so it's not clear that he fits anywhere without having demonstrated better shooting from deep.

Right now Kerwin figures to be our starting SG. With Ant challenging him for that spot, and Dunn learning the ropes.

If I'm Bryce, I'm not sure I'd see UNC as a good place to land. Unless I'm expecting to wait a couple of years or am pretty sure I can earn my way higher on the ladder.

We have to (in my opinion) go hard for the instate kid Adioo, felt we were or are already doing that. Now, with Kessler completely out of the mix I think other dominos will begin to fall in place. Hubert felt he would be able to get Kessler back, was right till momma stepped in but the thought that kessler would be back kind of devalued the need for Adioo, considering everyone fully expects Bacot to come back. Kessler out of the mix and McCoy being more of a 3/4, Styles as well being more a 3/4, means we need at least 1 more big man, even if we go stretch at the 4, Bacot needs back up.

UNC Postponed todays call with Aidoo and not reschedule date as of yet... ummm what the heck is happening?? - Not saying there is a correlation but Jamie shaw also tweeted "Getting Shades of Thomas Bryant at Indiana vibes from Day"Ron Sharpe" ..... Is there a slim slim possibility that dayron (who i dont think has signed with an agent) comes back now that he knows its just legit him and bacot and he can improve his stock in one more year?

UNC Postponed todays call with Aidoo and not reschedule date as of yet... ummm what the heck is happening?? - Not saying there is a correlation but Jamie shaw also tweeted "Getting Shades of Thomas Bryant at Indiana vibes from Day"Ron Sharpe" ..... Is there a slim slim possibility that dayron (who i dont think has signed with an agent) comes back now that he knows its just legit him and bacot and he can improve his stock in one more year?
I would be beyond shocked, however, extremely happy if he did.

I give it a .00001% chance of happening.

Don't know why they wouldn't want Aidoo though.

Cancelled on UNC’s part. Jamie shot a major brick on the Kessler conclusion. Like a Swaggy P type miss. Not entirely his fault. That family is an anomaly. So idk if I’d put much stock in that Sharpe return party. At the same time, he can still come back (agent or not), just a little harder to do w one. That ALL being said, we just offered Brady Manek from OU

Everyone gets a pass on the WK calls! The kid said out of his own mouth he was returning! Family is paramount (even over the UNC Family) so I have no problem with Mom wanting her son close by or Pop wanting to help steer his son! I have been feeling more that Sharpe just might surprise us and return, but I love Hubs going after quality Bigs in the portal too. I really want to know what happened with Aidoo, but if he didn't pass muster, I'm OK since I have seen many peeps we "missed" on cause problems at their destination! I wish him luck wherever he ends up, but I will not speculate further on his situation! Wish he could be a Tar Heel!

No wonder Roy got tired of the new college game. In addition to recruiting hs kids you now to re-recruit half your team and gauge transfers. How the hell can you build a roster juggling all those things? The transfer portal allowing instant eligibility is terrible for college basketball. I can understand having an exception if the coach who recruited you leaves but a blanket policy to transfer without sitting is ridiculous. I guess Emmert wants college ball to join in the "let's build a super team for one season" mentality.

No wonder Roy got tired of the new college game. In addition to recruiting hs kids you now to re-recruit half your team and gauge transfers. How the hell can you build a roster juggling all those things? The transfer portal allowing instant eligibility is terrible for college basketball. I can understand having an exception if the coach who recruited you leaves but a blanket policy to transfer without sitting is ridiculous. I guess Emmert wants college ball to join in the "let's build a super team for one season" mentality.
Wait. I thought this was just for this year because of COVID. Are you saying that transferring without having to sit a year is the new rule going forward?

Personally, I'm not opposed to that change, but I thought this was a one-time deal.

Nor am I opposed to giving everybody 5 years of eligibility. But pretty sure that's a one-time deal, too.

Wait. I thought this was just for this year because of COVID. Are you saying that transferring without having to sit a year is the new rule going forward?

Personally, I'm not opposed to that change, but I thought this was a one-time deal.

Nor am I opposed to giving everybody 5 years of eligibility. But pretty sure that's a one-time deal, too.
They had been looking at it for awhile, I believe the revenue sports,(football/basketball) plus hockey and women basketball are the only ones not allowed one time immediate eligibility. Kinda hard to justify that, but hell that hasn't stopped them from having different rules for the sports with athletes that are worth millions to them. Getting called to court to try to justify it has made it more difficult to cry purity of the amateur model for the differences now.

Cancelled on UNC’s part. Jamie shot a major brick on the Kessler conclusion. Like a Swaggy P type miss. Not entirely his fault. That family is an anomaly. So idk if I’d put much stock in that Sharpe return party. At the same time, he can still come back (agent or not), just a little harder to do w one. That ALL being said, we just offered Brady Manek from OU
Does the "you can return even after getting an agent" start this year?

I like that rule change, too, even though it can make a coach's job harder.

They just voted to allow 1 transfer per player without sitting out... so no longer a 1 time thing. #coolcoolcool I like it for the players, but man does it make it harder on schools to keep kids that hit a freshman wall.

They just voted to allow 1 transfer per player without sitting out... so no longer a 1 time thing. #coolcoolcool I like it for the players, but man does it make it harder on schools to keep kids that hit a freshman wall.
Thanks. Folks will adjust, but it will make things interesting.

I'm thinking back to Doherty. Would some of our future champions have left before the administration could fix things if they hadn't had to sit out a year?

How many more players will pull a Kessler - leaving because they don't think they are getting enough PT, or are homesick, or are having trouble grasping the system, or whatever?

If your only choice is to gut it out, go pro, or sit out a year, I'm guessing most players with pro aspirations (but aren't ready yet) will gut it out. But if you can immediately go where you get that PT, or the system seems to fit you better, or are closer to home - without putting your career on hold for a year - why not go where the grass seems greener?

If your only choice is to gut it out, go pro, or sit out a year, I'm guessing most players with pro aspirations (but aren't ready yet) will gut it out. But if you can immediately go where you get that PT, or the system seems to fit you better, or are closer to home - without putting your career on hold for a year - why not go where the grass seems greener?
The coaches and ADs get to do it. I see no reason why the players shouldn't be able to do it as well.

I agree partially. I think players should be committed to the programs they sign with and have to sit out a year if they trans. But if the coach leaves, they graduate, or they can prove hardship (like Mama is sick, etc), they should then get the waiver. I would add, if there is some type of abuse from the coaching staff or the program gets NCAA sanctions that the player in question had nothing to do with, they should also get one.

I agree partially. I think players should be committed to the programs they sign with and have to sit out a year if they trans. But if the coach leaves, they graduate, or they can prove hardship (like Mama is sick, etc), they should then get the waiver. I would add, if there is some type of abuse from the coaching staff or the program gets NCAA sanctions that the player in question had nothing to do with, they should also get one.
How about playing time?

Assuming we aren't talking about injuries and such, if a kid isn't getting very much PT, I think he ought to be able to leave without penalty. Not sure where you should draw the cutoff, but let's say 9 mpg, just for sake of discussion.

So, for example, Walker played 254 minutes in 29 games, or 8.76 mpg. He would not have to sit out.

BUT ... Roy could have used him more if he had big plans for him for the next season.

In other words, if a coach wants to keep important players around, all he has to do (under this rule) is play them a little more.

The coaches and ADs get to do it. I see no reason why the players shouldn't be able to do it as well.
Let me suggest a reason.
The coaches have contracts. Most have buy-out clauses. They and their new programs have to pay a penalty when they leave breaking a contract. Why shouldn't players who want to back out of their agreement also have to pay a penalty? It allows the schools to plan and maintain stability in the program. Watch how this all works out this year. I'll bet there will end up being a number of kids who had good scholarship situations who will be left in the portal without a school because their previous school had no option but to give that ship to another kid to keep the roster full.
I still say just make freshmen ineligible. Or, have them under contract. If coaches and ADs have to have them I see no reason players shouldn't as well.

Let me suggest a reason.
The coaches have contracts. Most have buy-out clauses. They and their new programs have to pay a penalty when they leave breaking a contract. Why shouldn't players who want to back out of their agreement also have to pay a penalty? It allows the schools to plan and maintain stability in the program. Watch how this all works out this year. I'll bet there will end up being a number of kids who had good scholarship situations who will be left in the portal without a school because their previous school had no option but to give that ship to another kid to keep the roster full.
I still say just make freshmen ineligible. Or, have them under contract. If coaches and ADs have to have them I see no reason players shouldn't as well.
If "student athletes" aren't getting paid, how would a buy-out clause work?

Reactions: Kadyn930
Let me suggest a reason.
So you are saying they are signing a contract as an employee, treat them as such. Kinda goes against the the student athletes line. 95% of all athletes at the same schools can transfer without that "punishment". It couldn't be because these student athletes bring in millions?

Does anyone have ANY inside scoop on why Christian Bishop might not select us? Anyone? No academic issues, character flaws, crazy parents or lack of ability to play at this level? Speak now or forever (until Saturday) hold your peace.

Reactions: Kadyn930
Bishop's mom's tweet....

Also, went over to the Kansas board and most fans are saying they don't need him because they are loaded with bigs. It may come down to UNC and Texas. Regardless, we will know Saturday.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT