ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread...... Louisville

Like we folded at FSU & at Syracuse? We ain't gonna win 'em all & we aren't going to shoot this poorly forever either. Tough road game in the ACC, let's move on. Not gonna be surprised if we lose Saturday either, but also not gonna be surprised if we figure this thing out by the end of the year & enter the tournament looking like we did against Maryland.

And neither of those teams are good teams. We will lose on Saturday. You can book it.

If we don't get sent to a very friendly place in the big dance, we will lose our 2nd game. If our 2nd game is against a team that is tough defensively and can shoot even remotely well, we will be in trouble.

Like somebody said above, it's the same old song and dance against us. Can't stop penetration. Can't shoot. No toughness. Virginia completely shuts down Lee and we make him look like one of the best players in college. I just don't understand how Roy continues to recruit guys that can't shoot, yet every other team in the country has at least one dangerous reliable shooter. (it seems that way)

Louisville isn't that good this year and if we truly were the #2 team in the country this year, that's a game we have to win. Period. The good thing is I expected this and won some money with the loss.

Like we folded at FSU & at Syracuse? We ain't gonna win 'em all & we aren't going to shoot this poorly forever either. Tough road game in the ACC, let's move on. Not gonna be surprised if we lose Saturday either, but also not gonna be surprised if we figure this thing out by the end of the year & enter the tournament looking like we did against Maryland.

How come everybody always looks to the end of the year and expects us to be some sort of different team than what we are? You don't change who you are at the end of the year and miraculously become a better team. We are who we are. We don't defend. We have one reliable shooter. We are not tough.

The Maryland game is the exception and not the rule with this team. I don't know why people think we are that team posing as the team that we truly are. It's quite the opposite.

panic-disorder-971.jpg

How come everybody always looks to the end of the year and expects us to be some sort of different team than what we are? You don't change who you are at the end of the year and miraculously become a better team. We are who we are. We don't defend. We have one reliable shooter. We are not tough.

The Maryland game is the exception and not the rule with this team. I don't know why people think we are that team posing as the team that we truly are. It's quite the opposite.

why do you only post after a loss? 19-3, going through a huge shooting slump and still only lost by 6 on the road? With how bad it was yesterday, still had a chance to pull it out. Stop watching games if you know the outcome?

why do you only post after a loss? 19-3, going through a huge shooting slump and still only lost by 6 on the road? With how bad it was yesterday, still had a chance to pull it out. Stop watching games if you know the outcome?

Why does it matter when I post? It's partially to vent and partially because I don't have the time to post hundreds of times in a season like some do.

We have 3 losses on the road to teams that are not national title contenders. Last time I checked, the big dance won't be played in Chapel Hill. If we don't get sent to a friendly place, we could very well be playing in a road game environment and this team has already shown that they can't handle or perform in that environment when the team is even remotely good.

19-3. Three losses to teams that won't win the title. 19 wins with one of them being against a good team at HOME where we played above our average level of play. I know you and some of the other guys don't like honest assessments or assessments that aren't all "rah rah rah we are the greatest team ever", but that's how I see it. Some agree and some don't. I'm not going to be surprised or upset if we don't win it March because I've seen too many chinks in the armor to call this team a national title team. Hopefully this team proves me wrong, but I don't think they have the heart or toughness to pull it out.

I felt that way before last night's loss. Last night did nothing other than give me a reason to post/vent. I wasn't swayed one way or the other by last night's results.

Reactions: TARRRRRHEEEEEELS
If we don't get sent to a very friendly place in the big dance, we will lose our 2nd game. If our 2nd game is against a team that is tough defensively and can shoot even remotely well, we will be in trouble.

I understand your frustration, but this statement is just ridiculous. If you really think this is a team that will lose in the first weekend of March Madness, then you are blind to reality. Our shooting will turn the corner soon enough. You don't lead a program like UNC in 3 point shoots made and not find your stroke again (Marcus). Everything will open up once Marcus starts shooting the ball like Marcus has his entire career at Carolina. We lost to a tough minded team on the road in ACC play that had been embarrassed the game before. We played like shit offensively and still had a chance down the stretch in a raucous arena. No team is going to run the table in the ACC these days. I think we will all have a better feel for how far this team can really go after we get through the Miami game.

Why does it matter when I post? It's partially to vent and partially because I don't have the time to post hundreds of times in a season like some do.

We have 3 losses on the road to teams that are not national title contenders. Last time I checked, the big dance won't be played in Chapel Hill. If we don't get sent to a friendly place, we could very well be playing in a road game environment and this team has already shown that they can't handle or perform in that environment when the team is even remotely good.

19-3. Three losses to teams that won't win the title. 19 wins with one of them being against a good team at HOME where we played above our average level of play. I know you and some of the other guys don't like honest assessments or assessments that aren't all "rah rah rah we are the greatest team ever", but that's how I see it. Some agree and some don't. I'm not going to be surprised or upset if we don't win it March because I've seen too many chinks in the armor to call this team a national title team. Hopefully this team proves me wrong, but I don't think they have the heart or toughness to pull it out.

I felt that way before last night's loss. Last night did nothing other than give me a reason to post/vent. I wasn't swayed one way or the other by last night's results.

You didn't share these concerns during the 12 game winning streak, did you? When's the last time a team has gone undefeated in conference play? How many teams play as many true road games as UNC during non conference play? What were you saying in 09 when that team started 2-2 in conference play, with a home loss to BC and a loss at Wake? I am not "Rah rah", but I am not doom and gloom either. Are there concerns? Hell yea, but If and when Marcus returns to form, it will go along way. Stay positive man. Hopefully a win Saturday gets believing again.

And neither of those teams are good teams. We will lose on Saturday. You can book it.

Like somebody said above, it's the same old song and dance against us. Can't stop penetration. Can't shoot. No toughness. Virginia completely shuts down Lee and we make him look like one of the best players in college. I just don't understand how Roy continues to recruit guys that can't shoot, yet every other team in the country has at least one dangerous reliable shooter. (it seems that way)

Louisville isn't that good this year and if we truly were the #2 team in the country this year, that's a game we have to win. Period. The good thing is I expected this and won some money with the loss.

There's so many thin gs wrong with this post and the others by Upper Heel that I don't even know where to start. Why post such unfounded nonsense?

We had our first loss in conference - after 9 conference games, on the road against a solid ranked opponent, in a game we were underdogs in. I can occasionally be one to become pessimistic after losing a game we should win, but this wasn't a game we should have won, I'm not sure why some of you be like...

get

There's so many thin gs wrong with this post and the others by Upper Heel that I don't even know where to start. Why post such unfounded nonsense?
Agreed. I figured this thread would end great for UPH, right after reading the pouting negative junk he posted.

UPH - it seems sad, and I'm sure the Heels are sorry that following them gives you so much pain and disappointment and discouragement.

But good for you, there is hope! Obviously you'd say there are LOTS of other teams that consistently perform better and achieve more than the Heels. And good news! Its a free country and you're totally free to choose to follow those teams (maybe changing teams year to year) that will bring you the personal satisfaction of meeting your expectations. This year its who? KU? OK? Someone else? Who will it be next year?

Good luck!

Agreed. I figured this thread would end great for UPH, right after reading the pouting negative junk he posted.

UPH - it seems sad, and I'm sure the Heels are sorry that following them gives you so much pain and disappointment and discouragement.

But good for you, there is hope! Obviously you'd say there are LOTS of other teams that consistently perform better and achieve more than the Heels. And good news! Its a free country and you're totally free to choose to follow those teams (maybe changing teams year to year) that will bring you the personal satisfaction of meeting your expectations. This year its who? KU? OK? Someone else? Who will it be next year?

Good luck!

I really don't understand why everyone has to bash anyone that speaks the truth. Do you think he'd be so upset if he wasn't a die hard? Not all fans bow down to the players feet after every game when they put out a shitty product and it's undeserved. "I'm sure the Heels are sorry that following them gives you so much pain and blah blah blah". Hahaha wow.

• "We have 3 losses on the road to teams that are not national title contenders." FACT
• "Last time I checked, the big dance won't be played in Chapel Hill." FACT
• "19-3. Three losses to teams that won't win the title." FACT
• "19 wins with one of them being against a good team at HOME where we played above our average level of play." FACT
• " I know you and some of the other guys don't like honest assessments or assessments that aren't all "rah rah rah we are the greatest team ever", but that's how I see it." CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH? FACT!
• "I'm not going to be surprised or upset if we don't win it March because I've seen too many chinks in the armor to call this team a national title team." FACT - not saying they'll lost first round but hard to see this team win it all right now.
• "I felt that way before last night's loss." FACT

I understand that everyone wants to try to be positive and I did my hardest last night to stay positive until the clock struck 0, but is it so bad to be REALISTIC every once in a while? Everything that was said in the post by UPH was the truth and he didn't take personal shots at anyone.

My assertions (For those who care. I know most are going to say I'm a hater LMAO):

• Joel James isn't a basketball player and looks out of sorts (I get the lack of experience and the fact that the recruiting has been killed by scandal but we have to do better than this guy..).
• Luke Maye may end up being an alright ballplayer but shouldn't be out there right now unless there's foul trouble (I understand Roy wants him to get minutes now in case of needing him during tourney and REAL minutes so this is the least of my concerns!)
• Kennedy Meeks still has absolutely no lift and Isiah is a better option.
• Marcus is an absolute stud but hasn't been knocking it down and it's affecting the team big time since they don't have many shooters. Honestly believe he's going to turn it around soon though. Hell of a player.
• Justin Jackson (One of my favs on team) needs to play like he actually gives a damn instead of playing emotionless. I understand that's his style and temperament but when you're playing poorly and looking emotionless, it's tough for fans to watch.
• Unless the team can push the ball and force turnovers, they are VERY beatable.

I understand how frustrating the game is when you care so much as a fan. I get that many people come on here afterwards and vent. I also understand that the last thing that many of you, as fans, want to see after a loss is other fans bitching about it; however, some people like to get out their feelings and talk about their team! I don't see anything wrong with that! Now I'm probably looking at a ban for speaking the truth..

I really don't understand why everyone has to bash anyone that speaks the truth. Do you think he'd be so upset if he wasn't a die hard? Not all fans bow down to the players feet after every game when they put out a shitty product and it's undeserved. "I'm sure the Heels are sorry that following them gives you so much pain and blah blah blah". Hahaha wow.

• "We have 3 losses on the road to teams that are not national title contenders." FACT
• "19 wins with one of them being against a good team at HOME where we played above our average level of play." FACT
• " I know you and some of the other guys don't like honest assessments or assessments that aren't all "rah rah rah we are the greatest team ever", but that's how I see it." CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH? FACT!
• "I'm not going to be surprised or upset if we don't win it March because I've seen too many chinks in the armor to call this team a national title team." FACT - not saying they'll lost first round but hard to see this team win it all right now.

I understand that everyone wants to try to be positive and I did my hardest last night to stay positive until the clock struck 0, but is it so bad to be REALISTIC every once in a while? Everything that was said in the post by UPH was the truth and he didn't take personal shots at anyone.

My assertions (For those who care. I know most are going to say I'm a hater LMAO):

• Joel James isn't a basketball player and looks out of sorts (I get the lack of experience and the fact that the recruiting has been killed by scandal but we have to do better than this guy..).
• Luke Maye may end up being an alright ballplayer but shouldn't be out there right now unless there's foul trouble (I understand Roy wants him to get minutes now in case of needing him during tourney and REAL minutes so this is the least of my concerns!)
• Marcus is an absolute stud but hasn't been knocking it down and it's affecting the team big time since they don't have many shooters. Honestly believe he's going to turn it around soon though. Hell of a player.
• Justin Jackson (One of my favs on team) needs to play like he actually gives a damn instead of playing emotionless. I understand that's his style and temperament but when you're playing poorly and looking emotionless, it's tough for fans to watch.
• Unless the team can push the ball and force turnovers, they are VERY beatable.

I understand how frustrating the game is when you care so much as a fan. I get that many people come on here afterwards and vent. I also understand that the last thing that many of you, as fans, want to see after a loss is other fans bitching about it; however, some people like to get out their feelings and talk about their team! I don't see anything wrong with that! Now I'm probably looking at a ban for speaking the truth..

So what if we lost to 3 teams that won't win the national title, how do you know this anyways? How is that a "FACT". Louisville is 18-4, Texas has 7 losses, but just went to 15th ranked Baylor and won. Northern Iowa loss I will give you, but if you think losing at Louisville and at Texas is terrible, then I am not sure what to tell you.

I really don't understand why everyone has to bash anyone that speaks the truth.

No personal bashing here at all. Obviously everyone is totally entitled to express their opinion here. I'm just not sure of the point or goal of it. If one were to say (me paraphrasing)

1) all the games we've won, we should've won, because when we didn't play anyone that is very good.
2) all the games we lost, we should've won, because those teams that beat us are not tourney champ contender teams, and are not that good, also.....

3) we SHOULD lose a bunch more games the rest of the way because we have little or no heart, no toughness, no shooters, no defenders, and we play several guys who should never see the floor.

I have a really hard time reconciling 1) and 2), with 3).

And if the point is just to vent frustration - fair enough. Plenty of people do that all the time on this chat board.

But if another purpose is to try to throw water on optimists, to lower expectations.....

or to say that what this team has looked like and has done when playing well is a fluke, and to squelch belief in what this team is capable of being, if they get their mojo back.....

count me out on that line of thinking. That's nothing personal. People are entitled to that optimistic point of view as well.

Who here thinks - or has said - that we played well last night or in any of our losses? Nobody. I think everyone here gets that last night's play won't cut it, rest of the way. Roy and every coach and player would say the same. Marcus actually did say that after the game.

But to me it doesn't serve a good purpose to take a bad game or a funk, and extrapolate it to the rest of the season, or the season as a whole. If the team had that sort of defeatist, feel sorry for themselves attitude, then I would really lose respect for them and wouldn't want to watch. But they are the opposite of that attitude. They are confident of what they can do when they get back on track

While I think you made some decent points in the rest of your post, and agree with a lot of what you said, albeit in a pretty pessimistic fashion, I do have to roast you on the above two. That's just my schtick - jumping on posters when they say things are FACTS, when in actuality they are OPINIONS.

Every team that is not mathematically eliminated from NCAAT is currently a national title contender. Which, all 3 teams we lost to can win their conferences and be invited to the dance (or even get at large bids if they don't win their conference). They are therefore contenders. If you meant to say, in your OPINION, they aren't very good teams, and in your OPINION, don't have a realistic shot at winning the title that's fine - but it doesn't make it a fact that they aren't in contention. Louisville is top 20, probably top 15 next week after this win, and Texas is getting votes in the polls - those are good teams.

To the second point (which is essentially just a rewording of the first) - How is it a fact that those three teams won't win the title... when the title hasn't been won yet and they are still alive? This, by rule (in my best Ed Hochuli voice) can't be a FACT. Again, it may be your OPINION that those 3 won't win the title, and odds are that your OPINION will prove to be correct, but as of now it can't be called a FACT. Honestly, would you be completely stunned in Louisville won the title? I certainly wouldn't be. They have a HOF coach, won the title a few years ago themselves, could very well get a 4 seed or so in the Dance, etc. I'm not saying it's likely, but to definitively say they won't win the title is a bit much.

Moot points aren't facts, regardless of how unequivocally they're stated.

Every single D1 team has lost multiple games to teams that won't win the tourney this year. Every team, no exceptions.

Because there is only one winner in the end, and all teams have (or will soon have) 3+ losses. Even Oklahoma, Kansas, us, Nova. I'm not sure what the point of that comment is.

One loss on the road will not hurt the Heels that much in the rankings, but two in a row on the road will hurt. The Heels win last night if Marcus plays better. Must win against Notre Dame on Saturday to stay in Top 5 in rankings.

Sounds good guys. I wasn't trying to start sh*t and I'm glad that you didn't take it that way...It's just frustrating sometimes when people bash on some fans for not being as optimistic as they FEEL they should be after losses. I don't feel like this team should lose to anyone in the Country. Is it going to happen every once in a while? Yes. Is it frustrating when they lose to a lackluster opponent? Hell yes!

I read through UPH's post and didn't find any kind of craziness in there - that's why I decided to write that long post. Even the things that you guys pointed out as not being facts (Very true since the season isn't over) are almost guaranteed. Does Louisville or Texas have a chance to win it all? Technically yes, so my bad. Everything else the guy posted was a fact though. There weren't any personal attacks, it was just his honest opinion.

The great teams that we've had lately have had players with killer instinct and I just don't see it. I see a bunch of giggling and smiles (Minus Paige - he's a born killer. He'll get out of this funk soon. Maybe Berry?). Like the fact that the team knows how to joke around and have fun but the bottom line is that this is the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Home of Dean Smith, Jordan, Stack, Sheed, Vince (Sorry I'm only 28 haha) etc.. You come here to compete and WIN! This fan base is used to winning and that should never change.

Sucks that academic scandal had to happen because Roy, the greatest coach in the Land, would have had another championship I think (Prior years or ones upcoming). Who knows how many more years he'll be around? Seems like he's just more hobbled because of his body each year.

I think we all know there is no clear cut favorite to have their one shining moment this year. So, we lost a slugfest on the road to a ranked team that just got their butts whipped two days prior. We still had a shot at the end, just needed some shots to fall.

I still like our chances to get to Houston.

GO HEELS!

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
You didn't share these concerns during the 12 game winning streak, did you? When's the last time a team has gone undefeated in conference play? How many teams play as many true road games as UNC during non conference play? What were you saying in 09 when that team started 2-2 in conference play, with a home loss to BC and a loss at Wake? I am not "Rah rah", but I am not doom and gloom either. Are there concerns? Hell yea, but If and when Marcus returns to form, it will go along way. Stay positive man. Hopefully a win Saturday gets believing again.

I didn't share them with the board, but I still had them. Winning 12 in a row doesn't mean we are defensively tough all of a sudden, or have a number of reliable shooters, or have developed a toughness to the team. A loss brings out the desire to vent when you lose a game you should win and you lose it the same old way this team always loses.

I don't think anybody in 2009 was doom and gloom as that team was unbelievably talented. Much more so than most teams in the NCAA. This team is not that much more talented than the rest of the NCAA in my opinion.

Thank you for the support. I'm not sure why fans have to bash other fans' opinions. I guess I just try to remember that this is a message board and I am dealing with "message board guy" most of the time. Still love the team, but I'm not setting myself up to be disappointed when we don't win it all in March. Hope the team proves me wrong as it would be the most enjoyable title as it wasn't expected by me and many other people.

Lot of give and take here but on a neutral court I will take Carolina against anyone and I could be wrong isn't all the March Madness games on neutral courts.

A loss brings out the desire to vent when you lose a game you should win and you lose it the same old way this team always loses..

I do agree that it can be incredibly frustrating when you see the team make the same mistakes that cost them games repeatedly. That really chaps my @$$ as well - and I have no qualms venting about it.

But I don't see why some are referring to this as a game we should have won. I agree Texas and Northern Iowa were games we should have won. Unranked teams (granted on the road, and UNI was without Paige but still) - but we were favored in both of those games. We were underdogs in the Louisville game. That's why I didn't understand the announcers when they said something to the effect of "This is going to be a major upset if Louisville hangs on!!" Yes, we were ranked higher than them... big deal - that takes into account what has happened in prior games this season (and the preseason ranking to some effect), not the circumstances of the game at hand - which was that we were on the road, Louisville was coming off an embarrassing home loss and determined to right the ship, and as usual, seeing "North Carolina" on the opponents jersey always brings out the best in a team. We were Vegas underdogs because the general public felt that Louisville should have won that game.

While I think you made some decent points in the rest of your post, and agree with a lot of what you said, albeit in a pretty pessimistic fashion, I do have to roast you on the above two. That's just my schtick - jumping on posters when they say things are FACTS, when in actuality they are OPINIONS.

Every team that is not mathematically eliminated from NCAAT is currently a national title contender. Which, all 3 teams we lost to can win their conferences and be invited to the dance (or even get at large bids if they don't win their conference). They are therefore contenders. If you meant to say, in your OPINION, they aren't very good teams, and in your OPINION, don't have a realistic shot at winning the title that's fine - but it doesn't make it a fact that they aren't in contention. Louisville is top 20, probably top 15 next week after this win, and Texas is getting votes in the polls - those are good teams.

To the second point (which is essentially just a rewording of the first) - How is it a fact that those three teams won't win the title... when the title hasn't been won yet and they are still alive? This, by rule (in my best Ed Hochuli voice) can't be a FACT. Again, it may be your OPINION that those 3 won't win the title, and odds are that your OPINION will prove to be correct, but as of now it can't be called a FACT. Honestly, would you be completely stunned in Louisville won the title? I certainly wouldn't be. They have a HOF coach, won the title a few years ago themselves, could very well get a 4 seed or so in the Dance, etc. I'm not saying it's likely, but to definitively say they won't win the title is a bit much.
they may not be facts now , but the probability that they will become facts in the future is high. ESPN power index anyone.....just saying

The ACC road is TUFF! Most are having trouble on the road. We have 1 ACC loss. Let's re-group and get rolling.

Reactions: toophly1124
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT