ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Rock Band Tournament Elite 8: Lennon/Bennington Region

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
The elite 8 is here! It’s time to cast your vote to see who gets to the finial 4 and who goes on their farewell tour in the John Lennon and Chester Bennington regions. I’ll give a brief summary of the matchups and my picks in a spoiler warning. You have until midnight on Wednesday to place your vote. Here we go.

John Lennon

1 Beatles vs 2 Tom Petty

This is a true heavyweight matchup with almost 900 million albums sold between the two. Even though they were from different generations George Harrison of the Beatles and Petty were close friends until George’s death.

Going with the Beatles for this one. Their influence is too big to keep them out of the final four.

Chester Bennington

1 David Bowie vs 6 Genesis

Two of the biggest names of their era. Both of them crossed paths at the beginning of their career at the Atomic Sunrise Festival in England. Bowie had just hired Mick Ronson as his new guitarist and Genesis had yet to acquire Phil Collins on the drums.

This one just comes down to a personal preference for me. Genesis gets my vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raising Heel
1 The Beatles
6 Genesis

Two of the biggest names of their era. Both of them crossed paths at the beginning of their career at the Atomic Sunrise Festival in England. Bowie had just hired Mick Ronson as his new guitarist and Genesis had yet to acquire Phil Collins on the drums.
Great factoid...didn't know this. Phil Collins and Steve Hackett (lead guitar) both joined the band for their third studio album, Nursery Cryme. Their first studio album (From Genesis to Revelation) was just a collection of Brit pop tunes but their second album (Trespass) really defined their prog rock sound and Gabriel's talents as a story-telling lyricist. Nursery Cryme cemented their persona and ushered in my favorite era over the next few albums, including Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Beatles - I liked TP, but this is a no brainer for me. One of the first albums I ever remember listening to was Revolver (my dad had it on 8 track, LOL). It just had so many good songs and cool sounds to it. It still holds up well to me. Turns out that album was one of the first where the Fab Four had stopped touring and started experimenting in the studio (and with mind altering drugs).

Bowie - this is a tough call, but I just appreciate how he reinvented himself and his sound multiple times throughout his career.

ETA: I’m a big Genesis fan (obviously not as big as RH).

Last edited:
Reactions: Raising Heel
Tom Petty-I hate Petty but I'm protesting Floyd not moving on. Very disappointing time for the board. Pretty disgusted tbh.

Bowie-He is one of the best ever.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Tom Petty-I hate Petty but I'm protesting Floyd not moving on. Very disappointing time for the board. Pretty disgusted tbh.
You act as if they were beaten by Brittney Spears. They were beaten by a legendary band. No shame in that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarHeelMark
That’s a vote for Genesis in my book.
Here's what I think of your book.

tumblr_mcm3xhmNaC1rjq31fo1_400.gif

Results below. Winners are in bold.

1 Beatles 10
2 Tom Petty 8

1 David Bowie 8 (+ tiebreaker)
6 Genesis 8

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT