ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Rock Band Tournament Sweet 16: Lennon/Bennington Region

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
The sweet 16 is here! It’s time to cast your vote to see who becomes elite and who gets second billing in the John Lennon and Chester Bennington regions. I’ll give a brief summary of the matchups and my picks in a spoiler warning. You have until midnight on Saturday to place your vote. Here we go.

John Lennon Region

1 Beatles vs 4 Pink Floyd

It’s the battle of the English bands. But their homeland is not all they share. While Pink Floyd was recording songs on their first album, the Beatles were recording songs for their “Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band” album in the same studio. No matter who wins here the English have at least one band in the Elite 8.

Tough choice. Both have put out some great music. Ultimately though, the Beatles have had more of an influence in music, so I’m going with them.

3 Eagles vs 2 Tom Petty

Two of the genres best-selling and most well-known acts appear in this east coast vs west coast match-up. The Eagles coming out of Cali with some laid back California rock and Tom Petty out of Florida with his guitar driven sound.

Another tough one. Both of these bands could fill up my playlist, but I just can’t help but get a peaceful easy feeling by choosing the Eagles.

Chester Bennington Region

1 David Bowie vs 4 Red Hot Chili Peppers

One of the best on stage performers meets the guys who are known for wearing their socks on stage. David Bowie showed future artists how to put on a show to go with great music and the Chili Peppers gave us some funk rock grooves.

I think Bowie is great, but I think the Peppers are better.

6 Genesis vs 15 Radiohead

Another matchup that has a little known connection to each other. Genesis is well known for using proto-synthesizers, specifically the Mellotron. Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood was inspired to use it in their music after listening to Genesis albums.

Genesis is just too much to handle and I’m voting for them here even if they can’t dance.

Beatles
Petty
Bowie
Genesis
4ece3c35602e92d675611988d34b6cf387ca16b28de207f5c46be304bc583195.jpg

Pink Floyd-There just isn't anyone that I would vote for over them.

Eagles-I guess. Neither do it for me.

David Bowie-One of the greatest.

Genesis

Reactions: tarheel0910
6 Genesis vs 15 Radiohead

Another matchup that has a little known connection to each other. Genesis is well known for using proto-synthesizers, specifically the Mellotron. Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood was inspired to use it in their music after listening to Genesis albums.
I know all about Tony Banks' use of the Mellotron but had never heard this little factoid. Can't believe we've been on this board so long and I didn't know about your appreciation of Genesis. How did you get interested in them, and what are some of your favorite albums or songs? I'm especially interested in your take on the Gabriel-era stuff.

ETA: I saw them on the Invisible Touch tour circa 1986 as a young lad. I was fascinated that they played several songs a couple keys lower than the album version (so Collins could hit the high notes). Started working my way backwards in their catalog and was mesmerized by their early work. Then found out that my two best childhood friends had also gotten into their early music completely independently from me. That did it. We used to plug my buddy's discman into his dad's tube amplifier so we could really hear the bass pedals. We'd sit around listening with the volume so loud it would shake the windows.

Last edited:
I know all about Tony Banks' use of the Mellotron but had never heard this little factoid. Can't believe we've been on this board so long and I didn't know about your appreciation of Genesis. How did you get interested in them, and what are some of your favorite albums or songs? I'm especially interested in your take on the Gabriel-era stuff.

ETA: I saw them on the Invisible Touch tour circa 1986 as a young lad. I was fascinated that they played several songs a couple keys lower than the album version (so Collins could hit the high notes). Started working my way backwards in their catalog and was mesmerized by their early work. Then found out that my two best childhood friends had also gotten into their early music completely independently from me. That did it. We used to plug my buddy's discman into his dad's tube amplifier so we could really hear the bass pedals. We'd sit around listening with the volume so loud it would shake the windows.
I saw them during the '83 tour. Really enjoyed the show.

ETA: I do need to circle back around and listen to some of their earlier stuff. I haven't in awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raising Heel
On my phone right now, so I'll keep it short. My dad was a big fan growing up so he turned me on to them. Not sure about my favorite album. I'll have to think on that one. Most of what I have are singles and mixed "tapes." I like Gabriel, but I prefer the Phil era. Although in full disclosure, I'm a big Phil fan in general.

I saw them during the '83 tour. Really enjoyed the show.

ETA: I do need to circle back around and listen to some of their earlier stuff. I haven't in awhile.
Probably their self-titled album tour, then. The very first CD I ever bought. I wore that thing out, even though it contains arguably their worst song ever (Illegal Alien). They trended mainstream pop at the end of their discography but always managed to include some tunes that hearkened back to their prog rock roots on each album.

I like Gabriel, but I prefer the Phil era. Although in full disclosure, I'm a big Phil fan in general.
They continued to write some great music with Phil on lead vocals. The biggest dropoff was after Steve Hackett left the group IMO.

Probably their self-titled album tour, then. The very first CD I ever bought. I wore that thing out, even though it contains arguably their worst song ever (Illegal Alien). They trended mainstream pop at the end of their discography but always managed to include some tunes that hearkened back to their prog rock roots on each album.

They continued to write some great music with Phil on lead vocals. The biggest dropoff was after Steve Hackett left the group IMO.
Yep, it was called the Mama Tour, after a song on that album (but you knew that). My buddies and I were getting into them in early 80's, but were going back into their catalog starting with mid 70's stuff (probably the last two or three albums w/ Peter and the first few w/ Phil on vocals were our favorites). You're definitely inspiring me to listen to some of that less-poppy era Genesis.

So I liked then unliked @TarHeelNation11 and @grillheel ’s poasts bc A) I agree wholeheartedly about RHCP over David Bowie but then I kept reading and B) Genesis is ****ing awesome.
I did like their posts, however I'm trying to like everyone's post so they know that I saw it. In no way shape or form do I endorse any post that says Genesis sucks.

With the exception of the Beatles (1970) and Genesis (1997), every band in these regions has released a studio album in the last 10 years. Remove the Eagles (2007) and the remaining five bands have all released a studio album in the last 3 years.
Well, two of that remaining five won't be able to release albums in the next 3 years. :(

With the exception of the Beatles (1970) and Genesis (1997), every band in these regions has released a studio album in the last 10 years. Remove the Eagles (2007) and the remaining five bands have all released a studio album in the last 3 years.
Lol don't try to sell me that the Eagles are a "current" band because they recently put out an album. We both know when these bands' heydays were.

No, because he has been actively participating and providing some value. As for you...

Put me down for votes for whoever you voted for. Since you’re an authority on music, I can’t go wrong voting the same as you.

Now, I guess since I’ve contributed to this awesome thread, I am absolved from future lectures?

I’ll lecture you about not responding to my emails. Never received your money DICK.

Oh man...dude, I’m really sorry. I totally forgot about your existence. I’ll mail it tomorrow and I’ll make it $5 more for my tardiness.

But for the record, I never check that email. The only reason I even have that email was to create a username for this board 15 years ago.

Oh man...dude, I’m really sorry. I totally forgot about your existence. I’ll mail it tomorrow and I’ll make it $5 more for my tardiness.

But for the record, I never check that email. The only reason I even have that email was to create a username for this board 15 years ago.

I don’t need an extra $5. I don’t even know if you’re serious. I just want my money. Nothing more nothing less. And thanks. Again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT