ADVERTISEMENT

2018 recruiting thread

I can understand the pull to clemson for a football guy.

I can also understand the pull of going to college in a place where you don't see your parents daily.

UNC has offered QB's Jace Ruder (Dual) from Norton , KS who is committed to Tulsa and Tyler Shough (Pro) from Chandler , Az who has offers from Mich , Bama , FSU and UGa and many others including Ivy league schools with 12 CS picks for Mich. They both are 3* 's with very similar numerical ratings. Ruder also has recent offers from FSU and UGa. We now have offers to Qb's from LA , CA , UT , AZ and KS. I guess the Southeast was slimpickin's this year

Last edited:
Doing anything remotely fun is frowned upon by Mormon rules. Marital polygamy excluded of course.
Clearly, you are not married. Having 5 women in 1 house and them not 1 mother and 4 daughters? That's a lot of estrogen bitching. More than most men can stand.

We need to get Adams...Tre Turner committed to the Turkeys.

Did Tre just commit? I see there is a thread on the TOS premium board, but nowhere else. Its not even on the VT Rivals site. Just curious where you saw that?

If he committed then nobody in his family knows. I was at the Josh Level Classic Saturday night and asked his brother PJ and he said not that he knows of.

Reactions: matt 1976
UNC has offered QB's Jace Ruder (Dual) from Norton , KS who is committed to Tulsa and Tyler Shough (Pro) from Chandler , Az who has offers from Mich , Bama , FSU and UGa and many others including Ivy league schools with 12 CS picks for Mich. They both are 3* 's with very similar numerical ratings. Ruder also has recent offers from FSU and UGa. We now have offers to Qb's from LA , CA , UT , AZ and KS. I guess the Southeast was slimpickin's this year

That is indeed the case FSU wouldn't even offer Milton who is in their state and was doing all but getting down on bended knee to get an offer from the noles. Not alot of talent on the southeast coast this yr. Next yr though is stacked

A poster on another site said Turner's commitment to the Turkeys wasn't public yet and after 3 pages and nobody disputing it , the thread was locked.

Ruder looks pretty good. Release looks kinda like Philip Rivers, but his highlights look good. Haven't seen his low-lights. But his track numbers show nice speed... he's obviously a good athlete:

Last edited:
Looks like we have another WR spot open since Tyler Smith isn't interested in greyshirting to be an '18 guy.

Looks like we have another WR spot open since Tyler Smith isn't interested in greyshirting to be an '18 guy.
2 knee injuries and grade issues , so it's probably best for all. I am hearing Georgia State.

Tyler wasn't goin to be admitted and he and his family knew it. Seems his parents are pretty upset with Tyler for not getting his act together and pulling his grades up. They wanted him at UNC I am also hearing Georgia state

I didn't realize grades were a factor, I just figured we simply didn't have room due to all the grad-xfers. And I figured coaches felt he was most likely to Redshirt due to the injuries, so they picked him as the greyshirt target . Thanks for the inside-info ;)

New QB offer , Dual threat Jordan Travis from FL only major offer seems to be UL.

QB is hard position to predict though, plus what if you stash the scholly but only get 3*s the next yr?

I say take best one (occasionally two) you can get annually and let the cream rise to the top

QB is hard position to predict though, plus what if you stash the scholly but only get 3*s the next yr?

I say take best one (occasionally two) you can get annually and let the cream rise to the top
I agree with always taking 1 QB in a class, even if the pickings are slim. But 2? That almost guarantees you lose 1 to transfer.

Isn't that one from KS now really interested in us? KS HS football players do not excite me, but perhaps this one is the real deal.

Normally I agree except we took 2 last yr plus we have Nathan Elliot. We also have Les miles some as a walk on and Harris this yr that's 5 qb's I think we are ok stashing or giving the scholly to another position on need. Plus there is always a one year lag in the take advantage of your draftees status. QBs are listening after watching Mitch come in dominate a d be the #2 pick in the draft

Normally I agree except we took 2 last yr plus we have Nathan Elliot. We also have Les miles some as a walk on and Harris this yr that's 5 qb's I think we are ok stashing or giving the scholly to another position on need. Plus there is always a one year lag in the take advantage of your draftees status. QBs are listening after watching Mitch come in dominate a d be the #2 pick in the draft
We didn't take any QB's last year , if you mean the 2017 class.

QBs also will be thinking: Fedora had the guy who would be the 1st QB taken in the draft, #2 overall, and Fedora sat him for 3 years so he could play a guy who can't even get the CFL to make an offer.

No 5 or even 4* QB wants to go and sit while the coach plays a QB who has 0 shot to play QB in the NFL.

QBs also will be thinking: Fedora had the guy who would be the 1st QB taken in the draft, #2 overall, and Fedora sat him for 3 years so he could play a guy who can't even get the CFL to make an offer.

No 5 or even 4* QB wants to go and sit while the coach plays a QB who has 0 shot to play QB in the NFL.
I'm tired of having this debate, and you know there was extenuating circumstances as to why Fedora stuck with Marquise. He would've lost the locker room.... well the upperclassmen anyway. The BD recruits. I wanted Trubisky to supplant him as much as you did, but it's over.

I do agree that it could give QB recruits pause.

I don't even know why people, let alone our own fans would question Fedora's choice to play Quise over Mitch. NFL potential has zero to do with winning college games. How many Heisman winners didn't do anything in the NFL? I guess that if there was a guy with NFL potential sitting behind a Heisman winner, then the coach made a mistake by not playing the NFL guy, lol. Quise won us 11 games and took us to the ACC championship game. Enough said. As much as I love Mitch, he won us 8 games. Strictly for the college game, give me Quise over Mitch every day of the week in Fedora's offense.

I don't even know why people, let alone our own fans would question Fedora's choice to play Quise over Mitch. NFL potential has zero to do with winning college games. How many Heisman winners didn't do anything in the NFL? I guess that if there was a guy with NFL potential sitting behind a Heisman winner, then the coach made a mistake by not playing the NFL guy, lol. Quise won us 11 games and took us to the ACC championship game. Enough said. As much as I love Mitch, he won us 8 games. Strictly for the college game, give me Quise over Mitch every day of the week in Fedora's offense.

Quise was clearly the correct decision given our 11 wins. So I agree except for the part about giving me Quise over Mitch every day. The two seasons were very different regarding OLine personnel and competition (sos).

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
What does quise have to do with stashing a pick look fedora would have lost the locker room if he started Mitch. In an interview Fedora all but said it himself he sat trubisky down and had a chat with him. To tribusky credit he listened and waited his turn. Fedora also elevated Elliot over Henderson causing a transfer. Don't Tell me he won't jump a guy to get to the better one

^ that's a good point. I don't think the quise-starting situation is going to shadow the fact that Fed's offense setup Mitch to be the #2 pick.

Quise was clearly the correct decision given our 11 wins. So I agree except for the part about giving me Quise over Mitch every day. The two seasons were very different regarding OLine personnel and competition (sos).

Fair point. I guess what I really meant to say was that I would prefer to have a tough, running threat QB, who can also throw a great deep ball over a primarily throwing QB who can run a little, when needed. I believe that extra dimension is so important in Fedora's offense. Believe me, I am and was a HUGE Mitch fan.

Now that Fedora has evolved the offense to more spread (with more receivers on the field)...more read options, bubble screens, etc...a running-passing threat does offer options (no pun intended).

Me? I still like a passing QB who can occasionally run...Weinke and Winston won NC's in the pro set.

But a great running-passing QB can give a defense fits..like Deshaun Watson did for his career.

But Deshaun was a passer first, and ran primarily to save a down.....he only ran for 629 yards his junior year (although 1100 yds his sophomore year).

Fair point. I guess what I really meant to say was that I would prefer to have a tough, running threat QB, who can also throw a great deep ball over a primarily throwing QB who can run a little, when needed. I believe that extra dimension is so important in Fedora's offense. Believe me, I am and was a HUGE Mitch fan.
I loved Marquise's warrior mentality and how he carried us to wins regardless of how he had to do it, but.... this notion that he was some savant at throwing the deep ball is greatly exaggerated. Go back and watch those home run plays. It ain't like he was dropping it in a bucket. Mack or Ryan were often wide open because of safeties biting on our dangerous run threat. He'd just air it up there and let the receiver adjust to it and run under it a lot of the time.

Go watch the Mack Hollins fade route TD against Illinois last year. Marquise couldn't have made that throw more than 4 times out of 10.

You and I will disagree on that the scouting report on Marquise is that he throws a down right gorgeous deep ball and a beautiful fade. It's his intermediate and short throws he struggles with. He also was more likely not to progress through reads and take off running when primary option isn't open. I love Mitch but do not discount marquise.

Now back on topic. I still believe we should stash the scholly this yr. I have watched all offers and besides Rogers and the kid that went to UCLA not one other qb recruit is as good or better than the qb's on our roster just my opinion.

You and I will disagree on that the scouting report on Marquise is that he throws a down right gorgeous deep ball and a beautiful fade. It's his intermediate and short throws he struggles with. He also was more likely not to progress through reads and take off running when primary option isn't open. I love Mitch but do not discount marquise.

Now back on topic. I still believe we should stash the scholly this yr. I have watched all offers and besides Rogers and the kid that went to UCLA not one other qb recruit is as good or better than the qb's on our roster just my opinion.
I'm not discounting Marquise at all. I stand by what I just said though.

As for QB recruiting, it's worrisome at this stage to me, given that we took no one last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT