ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting and commitments

Will the injury to Ruder lead Mack to try to bring in a Grad transfer QB? Obviously, a top such QB in the portal is not going to want to risk sitting behind Howell and possibly Ruder (who if he could play without getting hurt right off the bat might show a great deal). But a sound QB who did his time in the MAC or Sunbelt or CUSA might want to be a UNC student and play for a Hall of Fame coach in a P5.

Ruder will be out for a while, but I think the only way we take another QB in this class is if Criswell doesn't stick

Any rumors of him not sticking?
Here is what I have heard from SEC guys who keep up with the behind the scenes recruiting -

Some Arkansas boosters are acting to try to get him to stay at home, even though the current Hawg QB commit is Morris's son. Part of that may be dissatisfaction with Morris so far - Arkansas boosters have a history of undermining one another and coaches. And many Arkansas boosters hate any AR native leaving the state when the UofArk offers.

Both Ole Miss and Miss St people are actively wooing him, encouraging him to think of staying near home. An Ole Miss guy told me a month or so ago that he has heard that both Colorado and Kansas are making big pushes to get him to head their way.

My brother said yesterday, while on the phone with me during that last drive, that he sees Howell as the best freshman QB in the country - I think many agree. If Criswell wants no part of trying to break through that, he may look elsewhere, where the competition a year ahead of him is not so tough.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
At least we have Jefferson Boaz who apparently can sling it.
He can and is a very versatile athlete. ECU was recruiting him as a QB, which intrigued him very much. I think our staff envisions him as a TE, but he's generally listed as an "athlete" so who knows? He played on both sides of the line in high school, including doing some punting.

He can and is a very versatile athlete. ECU was recruiting him as a QB, which intrigued him very much. I think our staff envisions him as a TE, but he's generally listed as an "athlete" so who knows? He played on both sides of the line in high school, including doing some punting.
A 6-8 TE makes an easy to see safety valve receiver. Likewise, a 6-8 QB with an arm sees the entire field.

What’s the word are we good with Mr Evans...
He announces Friday. He has long been thought to be a big Heels fan and if he chooses us, will solidify a top 15 class. Great player and a good young man. Did the staff address our depth on defense or what?

4*DE K. Bingley-Jones 6-4 275 NC
4*DE Myles Murphy 6-4 282 NC
4*DT Clyde Pinder 6-2 295 FL
4*LB Ethan West 6-3 217 VA
4*DB C. Roseman-Sinclair 6-1 195 NC

And quite likely 5*DE Desmond Evans 6-6 238 NC

That's not even counting 4 other 3* defensive players. That's the most talent I've seen us bring in on the defensive side of the ball in quite some time. Mack knows great teams start with a great defense. And I love the fact that most are from our state.

Come on down Des and be a part of building something special in Chapel Hill.

Reactions: Raising Heel
He announces Friday. He has long been thought to be a big Heels fan and if he chooses us, will solidify a top 15 class. Great player and a good young man. Did the staff address our depth on defense or what?

That's not even counting 4 other 3* defensive players. That's the most talent I've seen us bring in on the defensive side of the ball in quite some time. Mack knows great teams start with a great defense. And I love the fact that most are from our state.

A few of those guys have the size to play multiple positions. Bingley Jones and Murphy could easily add a few pounds and move inside to tackle if needed.

Reactions: Archer2
A few of those guys have the size to play multiple positions. Bingley Jones and Murphy could easily add a few pounds and move inside to tackle if needed.
Yes they could. I know the last staff recruited top defensive players but they just struggled to sign many of them. Sooooooooo glad to see that has changed.

Yes they could. I know the last staff recruited top defensive players but they just struggled to sign many of them. Sooooooooo glad to see that has changed.

In a way I think that actually has helped us. I’m sure these guys are being told they will be getting major minutes from day one, which is all the more reason for them to come to Carolina.

The depth chart timing is very convenient. We return so many guys on offense that we can afford to use this class to stock up on defense. And by the time his incoming class are juniors and seniors, the program should have developed to the point where signing four and five star guys in bulk should be an every year occurrence.

Mack is building something very special. Two or three recruiting classes can be enough to turn a program into a serious contender. That’s why I think it’s crucial that we make a bowl game this year, and making the ACCCG would be even bigger. Winning games leads to big recruiting classes and we are only one or two more of those away from having one of the most talented teams in the country.

That’s why the VT game is so crucial because it’s the next ACC game. We probably have to win out to be assured of winning the Coastal. The good thing is we play both of the teams we’re currently tied with.

With the level of parity in the Coastal right now, every week that we survive is a huge win. Anyone could lose any week. Va Tech is not a game we can afford to lose if we want to win the division.

Sanford is about 45 miles from Chapel Hill. Very easy drive to all Home games by family and friends.

Location + a wide open Coastal ripe to be dominated by a program able to recruit very well + a Hall of Fame head coach who has won a National Championship + a brilliant DC + the history of UNC Ds leading its best teams + perhaps your best friend (and I think a cousin) also heading to play for UNC = UNC as easily the best choice.

That was fun to watch. High school stuff at its best.

I hope that whole team gets to Chapel Hill next year for a game or two.

Next year's D is going to have a bunch of true freshmen able to play major minutes.

So how do we finish off the class? I assume Mack wants someone on the OL. Cayden Baker of FL and James Pagorelc of VA would seem to be the top 2 choices.

Next year's D is going to have a bunch of true freshmen able to play major minutes.
Yes indeed. This class was fantastic from a defensive talent point of view, as well as meeting specific needs(DL being the most obvious).
So how do we finish off the class? I assume Mack wants someone on the OL. Cayden Baker of FL and James Pagorelc of VA would seem to be the top 2 choices.
I think both of those would be welcome additions. Baker was just in Chapel Hill on an unofficial visit and reportedly was very happy to receive an offer. He was just offered by Michigan 3 days ago.

He has played TE and DE, until recently being moved to the OL. I believe that is the position for which we are recruiting him hard. Currently a 3* recruit, I believe he is a diamond in the rough who will excel at OL.

For me flip Simpson and add a OL or 2 and maybe 2 more guys...Guys will leave after this year they always do...

I agree with you but wanna crush VT just because of the last three years of losing to them. That and the fact they used every angle they could to spread negative trash during the last seven years of NCAA investigation. I hope they never get a decent recruit out of NC again combined with us cherry picking the state of Va. of whatever we want.
With the level of parity in the Coastal right now, every week that we survive is a huge win. Anyone could lose any week. Va Tech is not a game we can afford to lose if we want to win the division.

Reactions: uncboy10
man I told you guys way back that he was coming but he could never get his timing right with mack. remember I said mack was strategically rolling out commits to keep momentum going. Evans was supposed to commit earlier in the summer but the timing was off. But he has been coming for a while

I agree with you but wanna crush VT just because of the last three years of losing to them. That and the fact they used every angle they could to spread negative trash during the last seven years of NCAA investigation. I hope they never get a decent recruit out of NC again combined with us cherry picking the state of Va. of whatever we want.

Well there’s that too. I’ve never liked va tech.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT