ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Are the pros starting to offer guaranteed money to 2nd round picks? It seems to me that they should.

I mean suppose they like a kid who they don't want to spend a 1st round pick on, but would happily draft him in the 2nd round. But the kid is being offered $1 million in NIL to stay in college and looks like he will withdraw from the draft.

Why wouldn't they match or beat that NIL and guarantee it to make sure the kid stays in the draft?

Reactions: blazers
Are we done?
I really hope we are now done in the portal. Adding anyone else from the portal now that we have Lubin would be a hard sell to me. Look, we can now start either Jalen or Lubin at the 5, it really doesn't matter, we could start Lubin at the 4 beside Jalen or you could bring Lubin off the bench to back up either the 4 or 5 and stil see near 30mins a game. WE have Tyson, that I do now think may be able to play the 4 more than I originally felt, and of course there is also High, who is due to step up and Brown if needed in case of emergency.

Reactions: tarwhiz
I really hope we are now done in the portal. Adding anyone else from the portal now that we have Lubin would be a hard sell to me. Look, we can now start either Jalen or Lubin at the 5, it really doesn't matter, we could start Lubin at the 4 beside Jalen or you could bring Lubin off the bench to back up either the 4 or 5 and stil see near 30mins a game. WE have Tyson, that I do now think may be able to play the 4 more than I originally felt, and of course there is also High, who is due to step up and Brown if needed in case of emergency.
6’8” with shoes…or without(really 6’6”)??

Lubin is a nice piece to replace Harry so I’m glad he’s onboard but we can’t be serious relying on a 6’8 guy the 5.

Imo Ugonna is a better get than Watkins but honestly I would take either to replace Bacot.

Lubin is a nice piece to replace Harry so I’m glad he’s onboard but we can’t be serious relying on a 6’8 guy the 5.

Imo Ugonna is a better get than Watkins but honestly I would take either to replace Bacot.
Garrison Brooks was a 6'9" center on a team that won the ACC regular season, swept dook in the regular season, was an uncalled Zion travel from winning the ACC Tourney, got a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, and finally fell victim to the flu at the wrong time.

Obviously Hansbrough was a hugely successful center who was only 6'9" thanks to his long neck.

Lubin was in the 99th percentile in offensive putbacks last season.

When I originally watched his video, I thought he looked good but not great. Seemed solid, moved well, if perhaps a bit too deliberately. Which is not exactly the same as being slow, but it's a slight worry. AJ says he plays closer to 6'10, thanks to a 7'1 wingspan, and is very efficient.

It's worth pointing out that Vandy was a slow-tempo team, so maybe the "deliberate" part was a coaching choice, not an individual limitation. Of course that raises the question of how well he'll speed up in Hubert's system. I guess we'll find out.

He's 3" shorter and 10 lb lighter than Armando. Scored 2 fewer points and grabbed 4 fewer rebounds in 2 fewer minutes, on a slower-paced team.

Can he oop?

Does he start? I assume so.

At what position? Probably center, but that could be up to JWit and JWash.

As others have said, I could see us starting JWit and JWash with Lubin playing starter minutes backing up both PF and C. Could make good sense, but I doubt it will happen.

Last edited:

Garrison Brooks was a 6'9" center on a team that won the ACC regular season, swept dook in the regular season, was an uncalled Zion travel from winning the ACC Tourney, got a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, and finally fell victim to the flu at the wrong time.

Obviously Hansbrough was a hugely successful center who was only 6'9" thanks to his long neck.

Lubin was in the 99th percentile in offensive putbacks last season.
Yes there were a few exceptions especially Hansbrough but surely you’re not comparing Lubin to Hansbrough, right?

If this is the final addition then imo JWash should be the 5, and Lubin the 4.

Yes there were a few exceptions especially Hansbrough but surely you’re not comparing Lubin to Hansbrough, right?

If this is the final addition then imo JWash should be the 5, and Lubin the 4.
I think he's more in the Garrison Brooks mold. But you can't deny that his offense putback numbers are amazing. 99th percentile means he's basically the best in the country at turning missed shots into points.

Are the pros starting to offer guaranteed money to 2nd round picks? It seems to me that they should.

I mean suppose they like a kid who they don't want to spend a 1st round pick on, but would happily draft him in the 2nd round. But the kid is being offered $1 million in NIL to stay in college and looks like he will withdraw from the draft.

Why wouldn't they match or beat that NIL and guarantee it to make sure the kid stays in the draft?
They kinda already do. Each team can use up to 3 two-way contracts for players in G league, guarentee that. They get half of the minimum salary, which is about 560,000.

That number will rise very soon as well, with the NBA doing so well financially, and popularity, growing by leaps and bounds and the new contract is ready to be collectively bargained. It is going to bring another significant salary cap boost across the board for workers cut of the growing profits.

USA Today's mock draft page has Harrison Ingram being picked at #53, one spot behind Coleman Hawkins.

From the beginning it looked pretty sure that Ingram wouldn't be returning but I was hoping he might change his mind. On the assumption that his draft status will improve as some folks in the draft withdraw, it looks pretty unlikely that he'll come back.

I do hope we have a good NIL package waiting for Ingram just in case the unexpected happens.

Hawkins, on the other hand has given mixed signals. On the one hand saying he plans to stay in the draft but, on the other, saying he wants guaranteed money, and on the 3rd hand talking about what he might do if he returns to college. So he's probably gone, too, but who knows?

Do we still want Hawkins if he becomes available?

USA Today's mock draft page has Harrison Ingram being picked at #53, one spot behind Coleman Hawkins.

From the beginning it looked pretty sure that Ingram wouldn't be returning but I was hoping he might change his mind. On the assumption that his draft status will improve as some folks in the draft withdraw, it looks pretty unlikely that he'll come back.

I do hope we have a good NIL package waiting for Ingram just in case the unexpected happens.

Hawkins, on the other hand has given mixed signals. On the one hand saying he plans to stay in the draft but, on the other, saying he wants guaranteed money, and on the 3rd hand talking about what he might do if he returns to college. So he's probably gone, too, but who knows?

Do we still want Hawkins if he becomes available?
Ingram is gone…Also Hawkins is not a fit…

The Roster looks to be set..

Reactions: tarwhiz
Absolutely.
I'm inclined to agree that we grab Hawkins if we can.

That would give us 3 front line players we can count on. Which is sort of a minimum, I think.

The downside is that if the other 3 front line guys develop the way we hope they will, we could have a logjam and even chemistry problems. Which we'd all like to avoid.

Are there any other reasons to oppose getting Hawkins? A few here seem adamant that we not get him, but they haven't said why (at least recently).

Is there someone else you think we should get, or are you saying we should stop looking for portal players now? If someone else, whom do you like?
I don't think we add anyone else for multiple reasons
First being team chemistry. When we signed Zayden High last recruiting cycle pretty much everybody was excited about him maybe earning a role by his 2nd year, and then being a big part of the rotation as an upperclassmen. I think both Hubert and Zayden think he is still on that course, or he wouldn't be here. Why would you add again, and push him or Withers to the 5th big? And with Brown, that is 6 guys for 2 spots. That is not how College basketball works anymore.
As for Hawkins himself, I don't believe he WANTS to play College b ball any longer. And if he does he obviously wants a BIG BAG if he does play. He seems like he would be the exact opposite type of player you would pursue if you want to maintain harmonic chemistry on the roster.
Hawkins is also a very inconsistent player. He is often the reason his team wins, and losses games. I have watched him frequently over the years in the Big10.
Oyenso would be a great match if the year was early 2000's or prior, but I think he is firmly regarded as a " Role player" as a rim protector. How much time can we afford to give him and keep both he and everyone else happy.
I think we are done. Now Washington must start to approach his HS ceiling.

Portal is far less interesting now that UNC is (hopefully) finished building the roster! I might pay a little attention to the only peeps we really missed on: Aidoo and O, but the other thousands are completely meh! I will also use these threads to continue laughing at those who persist in claiming Hubs fails at this and who never comeback when he succeeds to give him his props! Priceless!!!

Portal is far less interesting now that UNC is (hopefully) finished building the roster! I might pay a little attention to the only peeps we really missed on: Aidoo and O, but the other thousands are completely meh! I will also use these threads to continue laughing at those who persist in claiming Hubs fails at this and who never comeback when he succeeds to give him his props! Priceless!!!
The one kid still in the portal or was last I checked that I am not sure I could say no to is Brazille, (been out of pocket last few days so he may be gone by now). At this point I am an easy no to Onyense or Hawkins, never been on the Hawkins band wagon and no longer desperate for help at the 5 now that we have Lubin.

Even with Brazille, I would have to ask, is he better now and long term than High because getting him would very likely drive High to the portal next time it opens and frankly, not sure I could say he is or isn't so I would likely pass there to.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and RHFD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT