ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs UConn at Madison Square Garden game thread——Tuesday 5 December

You guys must not be watching the games or something. On Kenpom we're 7th in offense and 47th in defense. The problem is not that we need more points! We scored more than Kansas did, but we allowed 87! We allowed 92 to Tennessee! The problem starts and ends with defense. And lol at Caleb Love helping.
Stats only tell half truth.. Last nights game when Cormac went 0-6 from three, and our bench did hardly anything, we could have used another scorer.. Caleb Love could get buckets when he wanted to. We arent talking about when they are doing great like against Tennessee or whoever else, but when games like last night happen, you always wish you had another scorer.

First, it would be really nice if our guards who may be smaller but are usually quicker could stay in front of their guys and not have to switch. They are fine chasing east west but as soon as a guy drives north south we get burned. We may play 20 seconds of solid defense but a guy will drive us at the end, guard will not cut off the drive with good footwork and we will either drop to double or hope for a rebound leaving someone wide open for a catch and shoot. Seth is the only guard we have that is staying with his man and even if they do get north and south on him he stays with them like glue, he gets up in to them and moves his feet and that is about effort.

You guys must not be watching the games or something. On Kenpom we're 7th in offense and 47th in defense. The problem is not that we need more points! We scored more than Kansas did, but we allowed 87! We allowed 92 to Tennessee! The problem starts and ends with defense. And lol at Caleb Love helping.
Exactly. Defense and rebounding need to - and will - improve. We are OK on offense. Just didn't shoot well last night.

Stats only tell half truth.. Last nights game when Cormac went 0-6 from three, and our bench did hardly anything, we could have used another scorer.. Caleb Love could get buckets when he wanted to. We arent talking about when they are doing great like against Tennessee or whoever else, but when games like last night happen, you always wish you had another scorer.
If Caleb could get buckets when ever he wanted to then why was his scoring efficiency so low? At what point do you realize it isn't a scoring problem we have but a defensive problem?

• Love
Reactions: Heelicious
First, it would be really nice if our guards who may be smaller but are usually quicker could stay in front of their guys and not have to switch. They are fine chasing east west but as soon as a guy drives north south we get burned. We may play 20 seconds of solid defense but a guy will drive us at the end, guard will not cut off the drive with good footwork and we will either drop to double or hope for a rebound leaving someone wide open for a catch and shoot. Seth is the only guard we have that is staying with his man and even if they do get north and south on him he stays with them like glue, he gets up in to them and moves his feet and that is about effort.
Switching screens for 40 minutes will end our season in the 2nd round come March. And it will be a damned shame because we are clearly a Top 6-8 team in America right now, and that's with Withers and Washington giving us very little.

We shoulda thrown more 23 at them. Or 24. Whatever it takes. And we need not only Colby white but hansbrough too. Plus the tight end was open all game. And the officials…..wtf is up with those calls? Ncaa hates us.

we're doomed return of the jedi GIF by Star Wars

• Haha
Reactions: Chicagoheelfan
We shoulda thrown more 23 at them. Or 24. Whatever it takes. And we need not only Colby white but hansbrough too. Plus the tight end was open all game. And the officials…..wtf is up with those calls? Ncaa hates us.

we're doomed return of the jedi GIF by Star Wars're doomed return of the jedi GIF by Star Wars

Love the "Mr. Mom" reference. & to follow suit, Colby, Coby, whoever it takes.

• Haha
Reactions: heelmanwilm
Cormac missing all 6 of his threes was probably the biggest difference. Make 2 or 3 of those and that game is very different
yup. All good looks too. It also seemed Uconn capatlized when Ryan missed, they would grab the rebound and score. We also missed some close to the rim shots in the 2nd half where we just needed to go up stronger. That's a damn good Uconn team and we battled. I am optimistic for the rest of the season.

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

100% agree that our defense needs improving. No question about that. Cormac needs to be another reliable weapon on offense and he has not done that for this team to date. Last night 0 rebounds and assists and going 0-6 from three is something that can never happen especially with Hubert shrinking bench minutes. This Team is still headed in the right direction imo. I think that they are going to get better and better as the season progresses on. But without question this team needs to improve defensively. I have stated the very same thing in other comment threads. This game is a great learning tool for the team going forward. It might be time to remove the goals for a few practices

Very good point!

True but Seth does not play enough to make a difference honestly. If Cadeau or Seth had more of an impact on the offensive end, I think we would be fine.
If Caleb could get buckets when ever he wanted to then why was his scoring efficiency so low? At what point do you realize it isn't a scoring problem we have but a defensive problem?
it is a defensive problem mainly but last night we lacked offensive production. 0-6 from 3 for Cormac and hardly any bench production.

And caleb is why we made final 4. Without him we wouldn't have.

Reactions: gauchoheel
True but Seth does not play enough to make a difference honestly. If Cadeau or Seth had more of an impact on the offensive end, I think we would be fine.

it is a defensive problem mainly but last night we lacked offensive production. 0-6 from 3 for Cormac and hardly any bench production.

And caleb is why we made final 4. Without him we wouldn't have.
And last season we didn't make the NCAAT, without him we may have...

Our defense against top 50 BartTorvik teams ranks 119th in the country. Our offense against top 50 opponents ranks 4th in the country.

That’s the story. For whatever flaws this team may have offensively, it’s proven to be an elite offense against quality opposition.
You needed a Bartorvik rating before you realized that we have a issue defensively? Me, all I needed was my own eyes but hey, you do you...

You needed a Bartorvik rating before you realized that we have a issue defensively? Me, all I needed was my own eyes but hey, you do you...
The same eyes that thought Leaky Black was a good mid range shooter last year even though he was tracked at 28% on 2's on non-dunks/tips/layups? Man, thankfully I have good enough eyes to check BartTorvik!

Last edited:
Love was a terribly inefficient scorer. I'd rather have Ryan than him, even if Ryan had a bad game.

Reactions: Heelicious
The same eyes that thought Leaky Black was a good mid range shooter last year even though he was tracked at 28% on 2's on non-dunks/tips/layups? Man, thankfully I have good enough eyes to check BartTorvik!
Yeah, the very same eyes that saw Leaky was much better in the mid range than shooting treys. You really should do your own watching and not rely on bartorvic to do your thinking for you.

Not sure you're watching closely either. I don't see much drop coverage. We're switching most screens, but that leads to lots of mismatches.

What coverage do you propose instead?
Watch harder. Any time they screen when Bacot is involved they round the screen and Bacot drops down halfway to the screener cutting. This leaves an opener shooter in the lane which leads to many free mid range or floaters in the lane, has a defender in no man's land, and has a defender trailing at best at the hip or behind the ball handler.

I propose we go back to bigs hedging the screens so the guard can keep his assignment. Why don't we hedge screens anymore?

Reactions: DSouthr
Watch harder. Any time they screen when Bacot is involved they round the screen and Bacot drops down halfway to the screener cutting. This leaves an opener shooter in the lane which leads to many free mid range or floaters in the lane, has a defender in no man's land, and has a defender trailing at best at the hip or behind the ball handler.

I propose we go back to bigs hedging the screens so the guard can keep his assignment. Why don't we hedge screens anymore?
Darn good question when you ask why do we not defend the high screen like we have for basically Roy's entire time as our head coach? Sure, I guess it is hard to get comfortable doing considering how most of our big men struggled to learn it. But when it is done properly it is fantastic but oh when it isn't...LOL

Switching everything seems to be the new fad going around the game, most especially with teams that love the 3 guard small ball look. There is a place for it frankly but it seems now days if you are in for a penny you must be in for a pound. To me it is a great defense to change in to, firm believe in changing your defensive look to keep opponents having to first figure out what you are doing and then try to counter it. But I believe you have to go with your base defense and use the trickery sprung from your base defense. You press all game long teams will figure it out and feast on lay ups, same with any type of zone, same with constant switches. Every baseball pitcher knows, throw the heat but you better learn a curve or batters will set on the dead heat and drive the ball all the way to the next state.

Point being, great defense is about 3 things, first is always effort, second is execution (a Tony Bennett specialty now days) and catching the other team in a look they are not expecting (timing) like a press or even a zone. This switching stuff in my opinion has been driven by how the refs are making contact calls now days, hard to get up in a guys grill when the refs blow the dang whistle for breathing on him.

Bad, bad take DS.
You're better than that.
It was a great retort to his line, at least it was to me? LOL

BTW, no, I actually don't lay blame for last season all on Caleb, I blame coaching decisions on most of it and spent the off season talking about just that.

Caleb got buckets when he wanted to. Yep - I’m Caleb I’m getting my 20 points I don’t care if it means I take 35 shots to get it. F rj and Ingram - I’m getting mine. Once I get the rock you’re never getting it back.

So “volume shooter” at about a 35% effictive fg % zero assists and 4-5 reckless turnovers per game and little defense (only when he’s in the mood) - and takes over half our shots - THAT’S who we want back? Lol ok. He sure is a good athlete but it’s wasted talent because he’s got about as low of a basketball and teammate IQ I’ve seen in any player.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSouthr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT