ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

It would seem Mark Richt is safe at UGa , he hasn't lost since the rumors started and has a potential program changing QB coming in next year.

LSU handled the Les Miles situation very badly. Either fire him or don't, but there's no reason conflicting reports should have been leaked out for two to three weeks prior to the decision.

Richt firing is gonna make keeping Fed exponentially tougher....a program of that stature w/ an opening in our recruiting footprint is gonna cause dominoes to begin falling.

link on Richt being fired

An open UGA job changes a great deal. First, it means that Kirby Smart will not take USuCk until first learning whether his alma mater will take him.

Second, it means that many UGA commits may be on the market, and some UGA players may look to transfer. Our staff needs to jump on any such possibilities.

Considering how well we've recruited GA the last couple years, this could be big for the Heels. Still hard to compete against an SEC blue blood, though.

I think the odds of this staff staying together are decreasing by the day. Makes me more than a little nervous.

Considering how well we've recruited GA the last couple years, this could be big for the Heels. Still hard to compete against an SEC blue blood, though.

I think the odds of this staff staying together are decreasing by the day. Makes me more than a little nervous.
I'm not sure any P5 HC job will be offered to Chizik, but I think he and Papuchis will get calls about being DC at another P5 school. I really hope we can keep all 4 of the D coaches for another year, but at the least, we need to keep either Chizik or Papuchis and Warren.

Reactions: Archer2

Yep thank we are getting ready to be gutted.

Considering your constant criticism of Fed, I had to laugh at this post Grid.

Why? I've repeatedly said he's been a great program builder, just a lousy game coach w/ alarming propensity for the crucial brainfreeze. And the former attribute is probably more critical than the latter shortcoming to success. That said, him leaving wouldn't signal a death blow. If we don't Torbush/Bunting ourselves.

Hell, hire Richt. He wanted the job 15 years ago. Or promote Chiz. No dropoff, if Chiz did what Fed did in reverse....get an offensive svant and turn him loose.

I'm just yanking your chain a little Grid, you do ride Fed like a horse. I personally think we're more likely to lose Chizik than we are Fed. IMO, losing Chizik, Papuchis, and Warren would be devastating. It will break my heart if that occurs.

Bubba is probably way out in front of this. Hopefully he and Larry have already had earnest discussions about what would entice Larry to leave and what would entice him to stay. Bubba should also have a short list of possible replacements so we don't get left with the scraps as other programs gobble up the best available coaches.

Reactions: BeezerHeel
I'm not totally sure; at least I hope not. Why leave in the middle of building something great, playing in a division that you can control for the next few foreseeable years?
That is a valid reason for most of the most experienced staff and Fedora to stay. 2016 and 2017 look to be bright, and this 11-1 season is going to open all kinds of recruiting doors.

Being on a staff that wins a league championship and at least makes the playoffs is a big deal that can sky rocket even a position coach up the ladder toward his dream job. So being patient can pay off huge for every coach on the staff. But this year seen unexpected success, and if that means a coach gets a offer that he thinks lines him up for the Dream job, he is probably gone.

Because Fedora is an Offense guy, I would rather lose Littrell than Chizik, Papuchis, or Warren.

...him leaving wouldn't signal a death blow. If we don't Torbush/Bunting ourselves...
exactly. fedora is a good coach, but he's not a genius. carolina football has rarely lacked talented players -- every coach we've had here recruited well because carolina sells itself. all we need is a coach who is not a moron (bunting/torbush), one who hires well, and one who understands that our great university will never be just a pit stop for nfl bound lowlifes and sleazy coaches. fedora could have a really good thing going at UNC. let's see if he's smart enough to see that.

Reactions: randman1
Bubba is probably way out in front of this. Hopefully he and Larry have already had earnest discussions about what would entice Larry to leave and what would entice him to stay. Bubba should also have a short list of possible replacements so we don't get left with the scraps as other programs gobble up the best available coaches.
I hope so. It still seems ridiculous to me how it's basically a GIVEN that if you have one really good year, all the sudden the coach has to shop around for the next higher rung on the ladder.

But, how often do we see coaches jump around quickly only to end up at a place where the expectations are so high, that they get sacked within a few years (paging Lane Kiffin...). Let's hope Larry is smarter than that and wants to build something here for the long term.

I hope so. It still seems ridiculous to me how it's basically a GIVEN that if you have one really good year, all the sudden the coach has to shop around for the next higher rung on the ladder.

But, how often do we see coaches jump around quickly only to end up at a place where the expectations are so high, that they get sacked within a few years (paging Lane Kiffin...). Let's hope Larry is smarter than that and wants to build something here for the long term.
Tend to agree, but this year there are SO MANY jobs open. And the UGa job just made for the 2nd of all the open positions that represent a more prestigious job than UNC. USC (the real one out west) and UGa. Now, in the latter's case, there is no reason that UNC can't be UGa's equal in terms of the job....but it hasn't been, to date.

Rutgers has fired Kyle Flood. Didn't their fans tell us they were the next great thing?

if carolina recruited itself we would be a football power and never lose a recruit in basketball.
stop drinking the carolina kool-aid.

i agree with a previous poster that bubba's on this. he isn't going to sit around with his thumb up his ---- waiting to see what happens.

Clay Helton has been named permanent USC coach. Kirby Smart is UGa's first choice and probably SoCar's too but I believe he is a UGa grad and UGa by far the better job. Mark Richt to the Canes is being mentioned as a possibility.

Seth Littrell being reported as one of two finalists for the University of North Texas head coaching job. He's a native of Muskogee, Oklahoma, which is only about 4 hours from Denton, TX.

Doug Meacham is apparently going to be the next head coach at UNT. While I think we could afford to lose Seth (Fedora being an offensive guy and all), I'd be glad if he'd stay another year. It would be nice to see some continuity in the staff.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Doug Meacham is apparently going to be the next head coach at UNT. While I think we could afford to lose Seth (Fedora being an offensive guy and all), I'd be glad if he'd stay another year. It would be nice to see some continuity in the staff.
i think seth has done a better job than fedora or chizic in a year when everyone did a good job.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I think Richt would be a good fit for UVa, although I sure would hate having to play against him every year. Guy can recruit and has a gold mine in the tidewater area to pick from. Same with Miami, but I don't see him nearly as comfortable there as he would be at UVa. Just my opinion.

As far as UMd., they can go suck eggs as far as I am concerned. I don't care if they can't get an average Pop Warner coach to come there.

I think Richt would be a good fit for UVa, although I sure would hate having to play against him every year. Guy can recruit and has a gold mine in the tidewater area to pick from. Same with Miami, but I don't see him nearly as comfortable there as he would be at UVa. Just my opinion.

As far as UMd., they can go suck eggs as far as I am concerned. I don't care if they can't get an average Pop Warner coach to come there.

I agree that Richt is a perfect fit at UVA and not so much at "the U", and like you, really wish nothing but bad results for the Turtles, moving forward and including tonight against our Basketball team!

To be honest about our coaches, I was shocked when Gene Chizik decided to come here, and now I would be shocked to see him leave...This place just seems to have an appeal to him because of the area, and his personal ties to one of Carolina's most storied eras of College Football...His father as many already probably know had a lifelong friendship with the brother of Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice, and Gene was a little boy who was there to see it all, and take it all in...Is that enough to keep him in Chapel Hill a while longer?....Only time will tell!

I like others hope ALL of our Defensive Coaches are Happy and Content, and I feel the same way about Fedora and Littrell because we've got a good thing going right now, but Money Talks and BS Walks as they say, so guess we'll have t wait and see?

I'm just going to enjoy the moment that we're all living right now, and support the Team and Coaches that we currently have!

Go Tar Heels

Reactions: Realfreedom
I'm laughing at all the comments of "oh we could easily survive Fedora leaving." Really? Really? The man has brought us the best offense -- BY FAR -- in our history but apparently y'all think he could easily be replaced. I don't understand.

Losing fed would be a huge momentum killer. Jus look at the comp we would have for a replacement and we would be late in the race. No i'm sorry but losing fed would put us back to the drawing board in many ways barring some miraculous big splash hire. Promoting gc would be best case scenario and all i'll say is none of these openings are looking at him for a reason.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I'm laughing at all the comments of "oh we could easily survive Fedora leaving." Really? Really? The man has brought us the best offense -- BY FAR -- in our history but apparently y'all think he could easily be replaced. I don't understand.
It almost never is easy to replace any big-winning coach. And now we are winning big.

I for one hope we don't have to. We need to pony up the money.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Oregon OC and former Stanford then Nebraska QB Scott Frost hired as UCF HC.

Frost is angling to get the next opening at Nebraska.

We all obviously want the coaching staff to stay together for several years. Let me ask this question - would Tar Heel fans want Fedora to sign an extension for 6 or 8 years OR is that too long? Would they want the same for Chizik, Papuchis, etc... Not sure if the coaches would agree for that many years or if Bubba would offer that many. Just curious what would be best for the program/school.

Go Heels!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT