ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

We all obviously want the coaching staff to stay together for several years. Let me ask this question - would Tar Heel fans want Fedora to sign an extension for 6 or 8 years OR is that too long? Would they want the same for Chizik, Papuchis, etc... Not sure if the coaches would agree for that many years or if Bubba would offer that many. Just curious what would be best for the program/school.

Go Heels!!!!!
You have raised an interesting issue.

Let me start with what I think is easier. Because Fed is an Offense guy, I think it much more important to tie down D coaches than O coaches. I would love to have Chizik, for example, be contracted for 5 years unless he gets a P5 HC job.

For assistants, all contracts must allow outs for them to move up - DC to HC and position coaches to DC.

Is this one season enough to justify giving Fedora a long term - more than 5 years - deal? Probably, because the future looks very bright with young talent on both sides of the ball.

We all obviously want the coaching staff to stay together for several years. Let me ask this question - would Tar Heel fans want Fedora to sign an extension for 6 or 8 years OR is that too long? Would they want the same for Chizik, Papuchis, etc... Not sure if the coaches would agree for that many years or if Bubba would offer that many. Just curious what would be best for the program/school.

Go Heels!!!!!
I don't think he necessarily needs an extension. He's got three more years on his deal after this season. Just raise his pay. Maybe extend him one year with a huge bump in pay. You don't want to get in a situation where you extend a coach 6+ years into the future because then you turn into GT where you cannot fire your coach regardless of how bad your record is -- due to sheer economics.

I don't think he necessarily needs an extension. He's got three more years on his deal after this season. Just raise his pay. Maybe extend him one year with a huge bump in pay. You don't want to get in a situation where you extend a coach 6+ years into the future because then you turn into GT where you cannot fire your coach regardless of how bad your record is -- due to sheer economics.

I agree. Extend a year with a big bump in pay. Try to keep Chizik and the other D coaches, increasing their pay. A winning team should bring in the added revenue to afford the pay increases.

Put us on the map as an annual top 10 football program and keep us there.

A lot of Miami fans now think the job was offered to Richt today, and he is still deciding.

Oregon OC and former Stanford then Nebraska QB Scott Frost hired as UCF HC.

Frost is angling to get the next opening at Nebraska.

He Should have got the Nebraska job last year.. But this is a real good hire.. Seeing Florida Athletes with that dangerous offense scheme will be interesting

He Should have got the Nebraska job last year.. But this is a real good hire.. Seeing Florida Athletes with that dangerous offense scheme will be interesting
And he"ll get to learn how to be HC before a P5 HC job. 2 or 3 years, and he'll be ready to take over Nebraska, with many ties to FL recruiting.

Maybe Juquan Yulee no longer wants to stay at Bama, but wouldn't mine coming to UNC?

I'm also in the camp that thinks Bubba has a nice rolodex of ideas. Winning helps sooo much, and this yr will pay dividends, and I think we'll be good next yr as well as long as we have a pretty coach def coaching staff.

None. Bama recruits commit to the program, not any one coach. I fail to see why ALL recruits don't choose Bama (not kidding).

i've lived in alabama, no thanks. And not all kids purely pine for nfl-access and big sec show-downs. If I had an nfl-sized body and was really good, i'd choose a winning program with tradition, fun home games, excellent coaches and one that suits me well even if I suffer a career-ending injury... not too cold, not too hot, nice campus, nice town, great school, great women. I feel there are plenty in this list other than bama.

Richt got into Charlottesville just after lunch today. Word on the street is that he'll either be the next head coach at UVa or he'll sit out a year. UVa folks feeling good about it though.

None. Bama recruits commit to the program, not any one coach. I fail to see why ALL recruits don't choose Bama (not kidding).
it's playing time i'm sure. they've got heisman candidates waiting till their junior/senior year to be a featured player. not all highly recruited kids are that patient.

Richt got into Charlottesville just after lunch today. Word on the street is that he'll either be the next head coach at UVa or he'll sit out a year. UVa folks feeling good about it though.
Many Canes fans think he'll take the UVA job - many of them not wanting Richt because they see him as too much a nice guy.

Richt would like living in Charlottesville. He should take the job.

And then the question would be: would Eason go to UVA?

Many Canes fans think he'll take the UVA job - many of them not wanting Richt because they see him as too much a nice guy.

Richt would like living in Charlottesville. He should take the job.

And then the question would be: would Eason go to UVA?
Eason made the comment he was as committed to the school as the coach and I don't see him coming to UVa. He is taking an official to UF and they just flipped Felipe Franks from LSU so they better be careful he doesn't flip. Anyway I expect Eason to play for Smart at UGa.

Eason made the comment he was as committed to the school as the coach and I don't see him coming to UVa. He is taking an official to UF and they just flipped Felipe Franks from LSU so they better be careful he doesn't flip. Anyway I expect Eason to play for Smart at UGa.
Miami with Golden made Eason's short list. Would Richt at Miami change things?

Word is Smart wants Muschamp for DC at UGa , BigSpur says Muschamp is SoCars first choice for HC. If Muschamp couldn't make it at UF and he had excellent recruiting classes there , can he turn it around at SoCar?

Yes, it's official. Mark is coming to the U. Can't wait!!

I wish all you Heels the best of luck against Clempsum. Get that win!!

If Richt to Miami is a done deal, I'm heartbroken for UVa. And I hate that Miami is on the rebound. I enjoy them sucking.

Who in the world is going to coach the Hoos? I guess now their top prospects are Rhule from Temple or Bloomgren from Stanford.

If Richt to Miami is a done deal, I'm heartbroken for UVa. And I hate that Miami is on the rebound. I enjoy them sucking.

Who in the world is going to coach the Hoos? I guess now their top prospects are Rhule from Temple or Bloomgren from Stanford.

They should hire Bud

They should hire Bud

Bud wanted the job when they hired Groh (who, by the way is a colossal dickhead) but UVa didn't even look his way. Bud is a great DC but he's not HC coaching material. Just ask VT.

On a side note, my buddy, a VT alum and somewhat of an insider, told me recently that he had heard Bud has an affinity for nose candy. I was absolutely shocked by that and called bullshit. But within maybe a week or so of him telling me that, I saw a subtle refernce to that very thing on Hokie Haven. Maybe that's what has been holding him back from getting a HC gig.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Bud wanted the job when they hired Groh (who, by the way is a colossal dickhead) but UVa didn't even look his way. Bud is a great DC but he's not HC coaching material. Just ask VT.

On a side note, my buddy, a VT alum and somewhat of an insider, told me recently that he had heard Bud has an affinity for nose candy. I was absolutely shocked by that and called bullshit. But within maybe a week or so of him telling me that, I saw a subtle refernce to that very thing on Hokie Haven. Maybe that's what has been holding him back from getting a HC gig.

Is anyone here not banned from that cesspool? If so, please go ask them and report back to us. Make sure all of your vaccinations are up to date before departure though.

Side note- what is wrong with Butch Davis? Thought he was a lock for Miami.

Note: i am neither a Butch lover nor hater. I understand why he had to go and I wish him the best.

Is anyone here not banned from that cesspool? If so, please go ask them and report back to us. Make sure all of your vaccinations are up to date before departure though.

I am not banned. For some reason, it seems Sunny kind of likes me. He and I had some back and forth last week.

Note: i am neither a Butch lover nor hater. I understand why he had to go and I wish him the best.

I'm in that camp. Not a Butch apologist or a hater. What was done had to be done. It was a massive fail on the AD though regarding the manner and timing in which they did it.

In all honesty, I would have settled for Butch. However much happier that Richt was hired. I think the problem Butch had was trying to explain his leaving the U 15 years ago. From what I have been told, there were still a lot of bad feelings toward Butch.

In all honesty, I would have settled for Butch. However much happier that Richt was hired. I think the problem Butch had was trying to explain his leaving the U 15 years ago. From what I have been told, there were still a lot of bad feelings toward Butch.

Ok, that makes sense. But why cant Butch catch on anywhere else?

Yes, it's official. Mark is coming to the U. Can't wait!!

I wish all you Heels the best of luck against Clempsum. Get that win!!
Richt is a class act, the kind who is abtle to make 'tough guys' respect standards. He will recruit well at Miami and win better than any coach since Coker's first 3 years. I hope he never has an undefeated team or divisional champ for obvious reasons, but I won't be sad if he finishes 2nd every year.

Word is Smart wants Muschamp for DC at UGa , BigSpur says Muschamp is SoCars first choice for HC. If Muschamp couldn't make it at UF and he had excellent recruiting classes there , can he turn it around at SoCar?

muschamp contacted jeff scott at clemson to run the offense...that would get under the skin of a lot of gamecock fans, trust me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT