ADVERTISEMENT

Could Carolina consider playing 4 shooters and one big this season?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
It may sound a little crazy but the last couple of years both Baylor and Miami have been very Very successful running that type of offense. That offense was so good for Miami that they got to the championship game last season and Baylor was a number one seed in their region until Carolina on their great run to the championship bumped them out in overtime a couple of years ago.

I am not sure UNC has enough proven outside shooters right now to go to that type of offense but it is definitely something to consider and it has worked in n Miami and Waco…

We have 2 dudes who we’re pretty confident will shoot well with a high volume workload: RJ and Ryan. We have 1 that we’re sort of confident? Withers? Then we have a bunch who we don’t know if they can shoot it well: Ingram, Wojcik, Trimble, Cadeau.

So as you said, we don’t yet have enough shooters. Also, do we have enough playmakers to run that kind of offense? Depends how you think of RJ and Ryan. Can they create enough pressure on the defense and pass well enough?

I’m curious how flexible Ingram is. Guessing he can play the 3 and some 4. Can he play the 5 against certain matchups? Can he be like Draymond Green as an undersized point-center? But Draymond is an elite defender really 1-4. Assuming Ingram isn’t. But if he can play some 5, that can be an interesting lineup.

I do think we have a team that can potentially hunt matchups in numerous ways. And that’s pretty intriguing to me.

I don’t think we’re quite skilled enough to do what Baylor did. Baylor had a fair amount of pros. And Jim Larranaga is one of the more adaptable coaches and is into analytics and lineup data. Idk if Hubert is like that. But we have some pieces.

LOL at not as skilled as Baylor! I agree with the Larranaga point, but I firmly believe that Hubs is adaptable as well! We have the makings of a serious contender (and it looks like we will just get better going forward) and I expect our staff to step up.

EC, RJ, Ryan, Ingram, Bacot- 4 out, 1 in
EC, RJ, Ryan, Ingram, Withers - 5 out potentially, but dangerous in any system.,
EC, RJ, Ingram/Ryan (depends on shooting), Withers, Bacot-3.5 out; 1.5 in and our go to lineup IMO!
EC, RJ, Trimble, Ryan, Bacot- 4 guards and really hard to stop them from scoring-D would be hard though.
EC, RJ, Ryan/Ingram (depends on D), Washington, Bacot-Tough to score on and rebounding demons.
Trimble, RJ, Ingram, High, Okonkwo-fun experiment that could be fast, rim protecting, and good rebounding-scoring depends on if Ingram and Trimble find their shots

(Cycle in Washington (health), Okonkwo, High and run peeps into the ground, baby! If 1-3 of these peeps prove healthy or develop fast enough, we will be really hard to deal with in March!

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT