ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mr. Floyd's Death Being Used To Change All Of Society?

According to the article, he's charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter. Those have maximum penalties of 40, 25 and 10 years. I'm guessing he's convicted on third degree and ends up with the minimum.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1261826
Interesting and thanks for sharing. Granted, I haven't followed it that closely, and I just tire of hearing about it....and I am no legal expert, but it seems odd to me that a person can be charged with the three levels of crime that you listed, and the prosecution can just go for whichever (highest, most punitive) of the three they convict on. It feels like Chauvin being charged several times for the same crime, which isn't constitutional.

Interesting and thanks for sharing. Granted, I haven't followed it that closely, and I just tire of hearing about it....and I am no legal expert, but it seems odd to me that a person can be charged with the three levels of crime that you listed, and the prosecution can just go for whichever (highest, most punitive) of the three they convict on. It feels like Chauvin being charged several times for the same crime, which isn't constitutional.
I think the jury can decide which level he can be convicted on. I'm not sure of that but I have watched a lot of Law and Order....lol

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Chauvin's technique was exactly how he was taught to subdue a resisting suspect through his PD training. I don't see how he can be held liable.

Reactions: Heelicious
Chauvin's technique was exactly how he was taught to subdue a resisting suspect through his PD training. I don't see how he can be held liable.

the three mins he kept his knee on him while unconscious seems to me to be his biggest prob. Then calling in for an ambulance but claiming it was non emergency. Jmo

I was thinking the same thing. If I was the defense, I'd say it's impossible to have committed three different crimes in one, so none of them can be considered a valid charge. So....since all three don't fit, you must acquit.

no it doesn’t look like that at all to anyone objective
LOL, c'mon man. I'm being objective and when I read your 'nope' response, I wondered if you were disagreeing with the idea of not calling the cops, or agreeing with the suggestion that no, you wouldn't call the cops. You can't reasonably give someone a hard time for not correctly guessing what your ambiguous answer intends to convey.

The conspiracy theories are amusing. If you actually think there’s a vast underground network of ‘professional rioters’ organizing riots and just waiting for a precipitating event, then you are deluded.

It’s a tribalistic response to tribalism. When one group thinks another group is storming the gates, they will rally the troops to fight back. You don’t need a conspiracy, it’s just basic human social behavior. For those protesters, police have become the ‘out group.’ For some of them its ‘cis straight white males.’ For a few, it is genuinely a matter of principle and they are fighting for a legitimate cause.

And for many poasters here, BLM protesters are the out group that is literally attacking the city. Just listen to the ridiculous over the top language about ‘burning cities to the ground’ or conspiracy theories like the one above. That reads just like the insane shit people say about the Jews secretly running the world.

If you protest in a major metro area, it stands to reason you’re gonna pass a construction site or two. It’s almost harder to imagine a protest or riot that doesn’t have a few bricks involved. And you’re never going to have a group that size without at least one person who likes throwing bricks.

what's hard to see is how the media gets away with intentionally highlighting only that which makes the cop seem fully culpable while consistently refusing to reveal the details which place the burden of a suspect's death almost completely on the 'victim' himself. What's just as hard to comprehend is why so many supposedly intelligent and reasonable people are so willing to ignore these facts once they get them. This guy's death is unfortunate, but it would never have occurred without his own heavy contribution toward it, and the cop's culpability falls mostly under the heading of 'doing his job'. We should be taking this as a lesson about not tempting fate rather than focusing unjustified hate on someone doing his job as trained, although perhaps imperfectly.

What's most amazing is that there are those here who will readily dwell on and express an abhorrence of the foregone practice of lynching while just as readily and hysterically joining a media lynch mob themselves. The human being is a strange and often disgusting animal.

Reactions: Archer2
It's pretty standard for any DA to charge that way in most states. I'm guessing if any defense attorney felt it was unconstitutional, they would have appealed by now.

The media sucks nowadays. It is possible to want reasonable police reform and accountability while also recognizing they are an important part of society as well.
Teachers and cops are so underpaid. So much on their shoulders, so much accountability, they should be paid more.

Reactions: Archer2
Teachers and cops are so underpaid. So much on their shoulders, so much accountability, they should be paid more.

They should but I also think there should be better training. For cops anyway. I feel like the only thing teachers should have is a good grasp of their subject they teach and critical thinking. Far too much dogma both left and right being taught to kids.

Reactions: blazers
LOL, c'mon man. I'm being objective and when I read your 'nope' response, I wondered if you were disagreeing with the idea of not calling the cops, or agreeing with the suggestion that no, you wouldn't call the cops. You can't reasonably give someone a hard time for not correctly guessing what your ambiguous answer intends to convey.

I answered “nope” to a yes or no question. Not sure how less ambiguous I could be.

The conspiracy theories are amusing. If you actually think there’s a vast underground network of ‘professional rioters’ organizing riots and just waiting for a precipitating event, then you are deluded.

It’s a tribalistic response to tribalism. When one group thinks another group is storming the gates, they will rally the troops to fight back. You don’t need a conspiracy, it’s just basic human social behavior. For those protesters, police have become the ‘out group.’ For some of them its ‘cis straight white males.’ For a few, it is genuinely a matter of principle and they are fighting for a legitimate cause.

And for many poasters here, BLM protesters are the out group that is literally attacking the city. Just listen to the ridiculous over the top language about ‘burning cities to the ground’ or conspiracy theories like the one above. That reads just like the insane shit people say about the Jews secretly running the world.

If you protest in a major metro area, it stands to reason you’re gonna pass a construction site or two. It’s almost harder to imagine a protest or riot that doesn’t have a few bricks involved. And you’re never going to have a group that size without at least one person who likes throwing bricks.
Lots to unpack here, but there are literal videos of vans dropping riot gear, bricks, etc. at strategic riot locations. And coordination communications, graffiti, etc of antifa groups.

Are you saying antifa doesn't really exist?

Or that they are just an organic, random group of normal everyday working class white kids that coincidentally simultaneously spring up and all have the means to riot and destruct at the same exact time? And if antifa is just some random individuals all pushed over the edge nationwide and worldwide at the same time...

WTF have they been doing rioting and protesting non-stop in Seattle and Portland for almost a year? What are they even protesting?

Look at the arrest records of the antifa crowd. Basically all are multiple time offenders with many riot arrests. Again, not average stable life working joes and janes who just decided on same day to wander out of their 8-5 job and happy family life to join a riot one night. They have the lifestyle and look that precludes them from getting a real world job.

Is the BLM org a noble group really fighting for black lives mattering? Or does it instead have at its roots a Marxist, totalitarian radical mindset, with main goal as destroying the family as a core foundation for civilized society? Hint: it just takes a simple Google search to see the intent and background of the BLM founders and leaders. It's not good.

The comparison of Jews to antifa POS thugs is rich. The Jews were the persecuted ones, did nothing wrong, persecuted by totalitarian Nazis. The antifa group and tactics are basically the opposite of the Jews. Antifa uses totalitarian violent tactics to attack innocent people in cities. How again are the antifa thugs and losers persecuted in society, like the Jews were?

Not sure if you've done research to opine on the existence and tactics of antifa, or just speaking via top-of-mind theories. If yo haven't researched, I recommend a brief movie called antifa.com - Rise of the Black Flags; or Unmasked book by Andy Ngo.

I know these will be dismissed as some right wing authoritarian propaganda, which is easier than objectively reading / viewing them. They include such "propaganda" as interviews with actual past antifa members who left the group, lots of evidence regarding avowed proud antifa people attacking, providing death threats to the author, etc.

Lots to unpack here, but there are literal videos of vans dropping riot gear, bricks, etc. at strategic riot locations. And coordination communications, graffiti, etc of antifa groups.

Or that they are just an organic, random group of normal everyday working class white kids that coincidentally simultaneously spring up and all have the means to riot and destruct at the same exact time? And if antifa is just some random individuals all pushed over the edge nationwide and worldwide at the same time...

WTF have they been doing rioting and protesting non-stop in Seattle and Portland for almost a year? What are they even protesting?

Look at the arrest records of the antifa crowd. Basically all are multiple time offenders with many riot arrests. Again, not average stable life working joes and janes who just decided on same day to wander out of their 8-5 job and happy family life to join a riot one night. They have the lifestyle and look that precludes them from getting a real world job.

Is the BLM org a noble group really fighting for black lives mattering? Or does it instead have at its roots a Marxist, totalitarian radical mindset, with main goal as destroying the family as a core foundation for civilized society? Hint: it just takes a simple Google search to see the intent and background of the BLM founders and leaders. It's not good.

The comparison of Jews to antifa POS thugs is rich. The Jews were the persecuted ones, did nothing wrong, persecuted by totalitarian Nazis. The antifa group and tactics are basically the opposite of the Jews. Antifa uses totalitarian violent tactics to attack innocent people in cities. How again are the antifa thugs and losers persecuted in society, like the Jews were?

Not sure if you've done research to opine on the existence and tactics of antifa, or just speaking via top-of-mind theories. If yo haven't researched, I recommend a brief movie called antifa.com - Rise of the Black Flags; or Unmasked book by Andy Ngo.

I know these will be dismissed as some right wing authoritarian propaganda, which is easier than objectively reading / viewing them. They include such "propaganda" as interviews with actual past antifa members who left the group, lots of evidence regarding avowed proud antifa people attacking, providing death threats to the author, etc.

TL;DR

that's what Joe Biden says, that it isn't really a thing; and we know how dependable his proclamations are. So yeah, it's a real thing, it exists.

Right. They should have gone for manslaughter like you said, but the AG Keith Ellison who is a real piece of work, thought that wouldn't calm / satisfy the stoked up perpetual rioters. So then he brought 3rd degree, and 2nd degree murder, dropped the 3rd degree murder charges, but then somehow got them reinstated when he realized there's probably 0.00% chance of making 2nd degree murder stick. Its a mess.

Whether it is just to Chauvin or not, I think him getting 10 years - and that resulting in no riots - is a best case outcome. I really think the perpetual race riot mob needs to riot, and will use basically any verdict short of death penalty to riot again. And obviously death penalty verdict isn't happening.
I think he was right in that regard. There are people out there that will be upset with anything short of the death penalty and will riot accordingly.

If the situation didn't become a national story, this cop would be found not guilty, if he even faced charges in the first place. With all the hoopla surrounding the story now, and the potential for unrest following it pretty much regardless of outcome, I'm interested if the outcome will be different now.

I think he was right in that regard. There are people out there that will be upset with anything short of the death penalty and will riot accordingly.

If the situation didn't become a national story, this cop would be found not guilty, if he even faced charges in the first place. With all the hoopla surrounding the story now, and the potential for unrest following it pretty much regardless of outcome, I'm interested if the outcome will be different now.

"With all the hoopla surrounding the story now, and the potential for unrest following it pretty much regardless of outcome, I'm interested if the outcome will be different now."

on my Windows 10 newsfeed, the headline of an article was quoting a witness saying something to the tune of 'we witnessed a lynching'. That's nothing short of ridiculous, but try telling that to the many millions of people (many of who were already inclined to believe the worst) that the media has convinced that this is exactly what took place. The only actual lynching in this case is the one the media has been conducting. Hopefully all the pertinent facts will come out in the trial, but we all know that this cop is 90% railroaded going into it. I will be shocked if he doesn't get completely hammered.

Some fukked up shit I found out today. The store in question garnishes wages if an employee takes a counterfeit bill. Thats illegal as hell. Second, the pos mgr sent the employee that took the bill out to Floyd’s car TWICE to confront him over the bill. The poor guy even volunteered to pay for the cigs himself to avoid the confrontation.

I think we are in for some serious trouble re: rioting.

I watched a bit of the trial today and heard some details that seemed favorable to the defense. In particular, the last witness mentioned twice that Floyd was foaming at the mouth. This is a classic sign of fentanyl overdose and will be brought up by the defense at a later date. Yet I hardly see any coverage of facts like these in the news. Instead I see montages of emotional appeals and sobbing witnesses.

I think the general public is being primed for a severe punishment, while in reality manslaughter or not guilty seems most likely. This discrepancy will lead to violence and will feed into the narrative that injustice was done.

Last edited:
I think we are in for some serious trouble re: rioting.

I watched a bit of the trial today and heard some details that seemed favorable to the defense. In particular, the last witness mentioned twice that Floyd was foaming at the mouth. This is a classic sign of fentanyl overdose and will be brought up by the defense at a later date. Yet I hardly see any coverage of facts like these in the news. Instead I see montages of emotional appeals and sobbing witnesses.

I think the general public is being primed for a severe punishment, while in reality manslaughter or not guilty seems most likely. This discrepancy will lead to violence and will feed into the narrative that injustice was done.
Yes, it will be interesting to see which component below wins out:

1) emotion - driven by the prosecution and the media, doing all they can to hide or brush over facts / evidence
2) factual evidence - driven by the defense, the police orgs

My bet is on group 1) winning out in some way, tempered by group 2) - so maybe a manslaughter conviction. Something that is the minimum Chauvin could get charged for without full acquittal on all counts, as others have said ITT. Some relatively short jail sentence.

I wonder (doubt) if this will be enough to appease the racial justice rioters, who are already amped up to riot, regardless of the result.

And though it is a separate case, I think the other three cops (broad spectrum of races FWIW) all walk, fully acquitted.

on my Windows 10 newsfeed, the headline of an article was quoting a witness saying something to the tune of 'we witnessed a lynching'. That's nothing short of ridiculous, but try telling that to the many millions of people (many of who were already inclined to believe the worst) that the media has convinced that this is exactly what took place. The only actual lynching in this case is the one the media has been conducting. Hopefully all the pertinent facts will come out in the trial, but we all know that this cop is 90% railroaded going into it. I will be shocked if he doesn't get completely hammered.
Bill Gates strikes again!

I thought it was significant that Floyd's girlfriend mentioned that George had been clean for a while, and had only recently relapsed prior to his death.

In my experience with opioid deaths (sadly too common these days), that is a common theme. Dependency grows quickly and is lost quickly, so users who relapse are at a much higher risk of overdose/death.

I imagine there will be many future witnesses discussing and condemning Chauvin's knee on neck restraint. But if the defense can show that Floyd likely overdosed, will it matter?

The type of person that would *needlessly* put their knee on someone’s neck has no business being a police officer. Kinda hard to claim Floyd was a threat if he was in the processing of overdosing on fentanyl. And it’s also pretty hard to claim his death was inevitable when opiod overdoses are reversed with narcan all of the time.

In many places, police and first responders carry it because it is so effective and the need is so prevalent.

I thought it was significant that Floyd's girlfriend mentioned that George had been clean for a while, and had only recently relapsed prior to his death.

In my experience with opioid deaths (sadly too common these days), that is a common theme. Dependency grows quickly and is lost quickly, so users who relapse are at a much higher risk of overdose/death.

I imagine there will be many future witnesses discussing and condemning Chauvin's knee on neck restraint. But if the defense can show that Floyd likely overdosed, will it matter?
Not sure how they can show that. Medical experts have said he didn't die from an overdose. I honestly don't understand why people think he did. Does anyone think he would have died at the exact same moment due to an OD if he was just standing there instead of under a cops knee?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT