ADVERTISEMENT

Kerwin lights out!

He needs to have that step just enough to get to the mid range or the rim cause he will have company outside from defenses.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
He needs to have that step just enough to get to the mid range or the rim cause he will have company outside from defenses.
IDK Tom, opposing teams will need to make guys like Manek, Garcia, and McKoy prove they can knock them down but when they do I can see Walton having more room to get his shots off. But his ability to pump fake, relocate, and pop (that he showed last season) is still a key for him. Does need to really work on the defensive aspect, both learning our defense and sliding his feet. I can see Justin McKoy being a lot of help with our guys defensively by sharing how Tony Bennett teaches defense, especially in positioning.

With better all around perimeter play + opening up the middle + Bigs that can command attention, I expect him to see more open looks or at least get peeps running at him trying to recover! His fist step will look much faster when the D is scrambling!

I don't think this team will have a lot of trouble shooting. Walton, Manek, and Garcia are money. If anyone else steps up shooting-wise then we'll basically have three knockdown shooters in the game 90% of the time. I'm wondering, can anyone penetrate though? Hopefully Caleb/RJ/Ant step up a bit there. Need to create dribble penetration to open up the 3 (although spacing from the PF will help there), otherwise it's back to lobbing it inside to Mando/Garcia.

I don't think this team will have a lot of trouble shooting. Walton, Manek, and Garcia are money. If anyone else steps up shooting-wise then we'll basically have three knockdown shooters in the game 90% of the time. I'm wondering, can anyone penetrate though? Hopefully Caleb/RJ/Ant step up a bit there. Need to create dribble penetration to open up the 3 (although spacing from the PF will help there), otherwise it's back to lobbing it inside to Mando/Garcia.
I think you answered your own question. If those three shoot as well as we think they can then the drivers will have plenty of space. I personally think we’ll see a spaced out floor more often this year. Also, I don’t understand the not picking that some have on Walton. He was far and away our best shooter. When guys closed out against him he easily faked or got around them for midrange. He was one of the best passers for our team last year. For a freshman he was stellar. Just imagine when he makes a leap in his game. I’m excited.

I think you answered your own question. If those three shoot as well as we think they can then the drivers will have plenty of space. I personally think we’ll see a spaced out floor more often this year. Also, I don’t understand the not picking that some have on Walton. He was far and away our best shooter. When guys closed out against him he easily faked or got around them for midrange. He was one of the best passers for our team last year. For a freshman he was stellar. Just imagine when he makes a leap in his game. I’m excited.
Yeah, right there with ya on Walton as well as agree that maybe some nits may have been picked concerning him. Defensively, no, the kid was not great but what back court freshman last season was? Defensively, our back court freshmen last season were exactly what you expect, not good on the defense we tried to play last season, could not understand why his defense has been singled out? I NEVER expect our freshmen back court guys to be good defenders, geez it was usually Jr and Srs back court guys that would step up as solid defenders for us, give the kid the time to develop in that aspect. While I do not expect him really during his UNC career to be known as a shut down defender (not sure his lateral quickness allows that), he can develop in to a solid positional defender by a better understanding of footwork and positioning.

Yeah, right there with ya on Walton as well as agree that maybe some nits may have been picked concerning him. Defensively, no, the kid was not great but what back court freshman last season was? Defensively, our back court freshmen last season were exactly what you expect, not good on the defense we tried to play last season, could not understand why his defense has been singled out? I NEVER expect our freshmen back court guys to be good defenders, geez it was usually Jr and Srs back court guys that would step up as solid defenders for us, give the kid the time to develop in that aspect. While I do not expect him really during his UNC career to be known as a shut down defender (not sure his lateral quickness allows that), he can develop in to a solid positional defender by a better understanding of footwork and positioning.
I guess peeps have to find something to not like. His defense wasn’t good for sure but when he’s your best shooter I say some guys can take up a little of the slack. Heck, it’s not like any of Roy’s teams we defensive juggernauts. But, he has had several on the offensive side. Hey I get it, when you can’t score as a team you better be able to play some defense.

Gauch, when you say shooting are you speaking exclusively 3pt threats or are you including mid range shooting? I ask because this is where I think Nate Oates is luney toons (he forbids his players from taking mid range jumpers), I think the ability to consistently knock down the mid range jump shots, especially from a big man, is game changing.

If we are including mid range jump shooting, telling you now, watch out for Styles, watch out for his freshman counter pard to (Dunn). But even more, I see McKoy as a guy that may hit a solid mid range % and don't be shocked if Bacot hits more from the mid range than many expect. Don't be shocked to see Manek and Garcia as well taking more mid range jumpers than many expect. I believe, don't think Hubert sees it any different, to be a really potent offense you have to be able to score consistently from all 3 levels and hit your free throws. People seem to think in terms of dunks or 3pt shots and yet for example I fondly recall Brice killing Syracuse's zone stepping in to the middle and nailing jumpers. You can not let teams trap you in to thinking treys if we can not get easy shots at the rim, you have to show them you can beat them from all 3 levels and from the free throw line.

Gauch, when you say shooting are you speaking exclusively 3pt threats or are you including mid range shooting? I ask because this is where I think Nate Oates is luney toons (he forbids his players from taking mid range jumpers), I think the ability to consistently knock down the mid range jump shots, especially from a big man, is game changing.

If we are including mid range jump shooting, telling you now, watch out for Styles, watch out for his freshman counter pard to (Dunn). But even more, I see McKoy as a guy that may hit a solid mid range % and don't be shocked if Bacot hits more from the mid range than many expect. Don't be shocked to see Manek and Garcia as well taking more mid range jumpers than many expect. I believe, don't think Hubert sees it any different, to be a really potent offense you have to be able to score consistently from all 3 levels and hit your free throws. People seem to think in terms of dunks or 3pt shots and yet for example I fondly recall Brice killing Syracuse's zone stepping in to the middle and nailing jumpers. You can not let teams trap you in to thinking treys if we can not get easy shots at the rim, you have to show them you can beat them from all 3 levels and from the free throw line.
No doubt because there are some nights where you die by the three.

I don't think we'll have trouble shooting from any level when it comes to Walton, Garcia, Manek. Love would be much more valuable if he could knock down mid range and 3s though. Bacot showed some touch last year, but I think he'll be pretty dominant to beside be t year, especially with more people interior space. Hopefully he did want have to step out much.

Love has to penetrate better though. We don't have much else in the way of penetrators. Maybe Ant? Davis can get by his guy, but he's too small to finish.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT