ADVERTISEMENT

NFL 2023-24

yes, he’s ready…he’s justin herbert with better decision making.
He's ready, but could benefit from sitting a little while like Sam did. Pretty much all QBs could, but most owners freak out if you sit a high draft pick QB in the first year.

He's ready, but could benefit from sitting a little while like Sam did. Pretty much all QBs could, but most owners freak out if you sit a high draft pick QB in the first year.
I'd hate to see him fizzle-out quick. I dunno... just seems different. Everyone was talking about how Maye would break all Sam's records at UNC, and that isn't remotely going to happen.

I'd hate to see him fizzle-out quick. I dunno... just seems different. Everyone was talking about how Maye would break all Sam's records at UNC, and that isn't remotely going to happen.
Well, Sam had three years. Maye only has two.

I am, admittedly, not an evaluator of football talent. But, I do wonder if Drake is ready for the NFL. I probably should have put this on the football discussion board instead of NFL. But it does apply.
I just hope some team doesn't throw him into the fire too soon. And I hope he gets better protection than Sam has gotten at times. Sam takes contact better than most QB's by far. That run yesterday reminded me of one of his many runs with us, busting through tackles like he did on that 24 yd. run.

Drake, I worry about. I wouldn't mind seeing him add a little more bulk.

I think he's definitely doing that at a pretty high level all things considered. Not saying he's playing like a top 5 QB, but when you take into account he's basically a rookie playing behind that OL, with a D that is suspect then he's doing pretty good.
it's a little frustrating hearing things like the TV color announcer said today, saying he is starting to believe Rivera might have been right about Sam. Are you kidding? Are you blind?

I know I'm prejudiced, but I had tempered expectations, so I had an open mind in that way. Now I can't believe that anyone doubts at all that he's the real deal, a diamond in the rough....and not really all that rough.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I just hope some team doesn't throw him into the fire too soon. And I hope he gets better protection than Sam has gotten at times. Sam takes contact better than most QB's by far. That run yesterday reminded me of one of his many runs with us, busting through tackles like he did on that 24 yd. run.

Drake, I worry about. I wouldn't mind seeing him add a little more bulk.
Yeah, Drake's size and stature just aren't... big looking.

I guess it's just my overall memories of Sam at UNC. He was just a better quarterback, in my opinion. He had obviously more size and bulk. He wasn't as tall as Maye. But, Sam connected on a lot of crazy, circus-style passes. I'd say Sam had better targets than Drake. Sam could take off on a run and you knew he would be fine. Drake's a much more iffy prospect in that regard.

I'm sure there are a lot of nuances to Drake's abilities that I simply don't see.

I guess it's just my overall memories of Sam at UNC. He was just a better quarterback, in my opinion. He had obviously more size and bulk. He wasn't as tall as Maye. But, Sam connected on a lot of crazy, circus-style passes. I'd say Sam had better targets than Drake. Sam could take off on a run and you knew he would be fine. Drake's a much more iffy prospect in that regard.

I'm sure there are a lot of nuances to Drake's abilities that I simply don't see.

To everyone, Drake is the better prospect. But Sam has a certain grit that I don't see in Drake. Drake looks like a player that was brought up since peewee leagues being told he was the shit. And make no mistake, he is. But Sam has the demeanor of a guy that had to scrap and claw his way up. A kind of resilience that makes guys successful.

I'd like to see both of them do very well, make a ton of money and have a significant presence in the NFL for years to come. But if I had to choose, I'm choosing Sam. I just like the way he's built and his gunslinger style.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Sam Howell is quite literally the only reason I watch NFL football. I don't watch any other games. I have lost track of who plays on what teams. I can't stand the name Commanders. But, enough loyalty still remains, and having that former Tar Heel as the QB, that I will watch the team play.

It would be great to see Sam become a star.

Reactions: bluetoe
And, whatever team Drake goes to, I'll probably become a fan of the team because of him. I've always liked college football more, but since my team lost its identity, I have really lost interest.

And, the way these refs are calling personal fouls is getting completely out of control.

Drake might be a better runner athletically, but I have cringed a LOT seeing him run, even before any contact and even after he finally started sliding. I just think he's going to get broken in half. Thank God they were able to impress safety on Drake.

Sam is a better physical runner. And it looks like they finally got through to Sam to get rid of the ball when he doesn't see anything, which should save him a lot of the kind of punishment that you can't absorb so well. He has a natural instinct to run out of trouble, and I have every confidence he knows how to protect himself against the kind of anticipated contact a runner receives . He just might make that a valuable asset that pays a lot of dividends over the long haul.

"I'm sure there are a lot of nuances to Drake's abilities that I simply don't see."

I'm sure there are a lot of nuances to his game that we have failed to bring out in him, just as we failed to teach Sam to not hold on to the ball too long.. It might be my imagination, but two seasons now, it seems Drake's passing falls off later in the season. It doesn't go away, but bad passes seem to start creeping in. Puzzling. It makes me maybe think he gets nicked up and it isn't told.

Reactions: strummingram
Drake might be a better runner athletically, but I have cringed a LOT seeing him run, even before any contact and even after he finally started sliding. I just think he's going to get broken in half. Thank God they were able to impress safety on Drake.

Sam is a better physical runner. And it looks like they finally got through to Sam to get rid of the ball when he doesn't see anything, which should save him a lot of the kind of punishment that you can't absorb so well. He has a natural instinct to run out of trouble, and I have every confidence he knows how to protect himself against the kind of anticipated contact a runner receives . He just might make that a valuable asset that pays a lot of dividends over the long haul.

"I'm sure there are a lot of nuances to Drake's abilities that I simply don't see."

I'm sure there are a lot of nuances to his game that we have failed to bring out in him, just as we failed to teach Sam to not hold on to the ball too long.. It might be my imagination, but two seasons now, it seems Drake's passing falls off later in the season. It doesn't go away, but bad passes seem to start creeping in. Puzzling. It makes me maybe think he gets nicked up and it isn't told.
When I see Drake run I think about RG3. He can run, and run well. But he doesn't need to and he's going to get hurt and or permanently injured with his zeal. But that's my concern. I just miss those long ball theatrical passes that Sam used to connect on with his receivers. Maybe I'm just remembering things in a biased way. I definitely love Drake as a quarterback. I wouldn't want anybody else back there. And I would be thrilled if he stayed another year. I actually appreciate his loyalty to the university. He could have gone somewhere else. But he chose to stay at UNC. I'm very appreciative to him for that.

I'm choosing Sam. I just like the way he's built and his gunslinger style.
the-office-dwight-you-didn-t-8iro7b1girvphp6r.gif

When I see Drake run I think about RG3. He can run, and run well. But he doesn't need to and he's going to get hurt and or permanently injured with his zeal. But that's my concern. I just miss those long ball theatrical passes that Sam used to connect on with his receivers. Maybe I'm just remembering things in a biased way. I definitely love Drake as a quarterback. I wouldn't want anybody else back there. And I would be thrilled if he stayed another year. I actually appreciate his loyalty to the university. He could have gone somewhere else. But he chose to stay at UNC. I'm very appreciative to him for that.
me too, to all the above.

I think you can give equal credit to the receivers for a lot those amazing receptions. Some were jaw-dropping.

Sam Howell is quite literally the only reason I watch NFL football. I don't watch any other games. I have lost track of who plays on what teams. I can't stand the name Commanders. But, enough loyalty still remains, and having that former Tar Heel as the QB, that I will watch the team play.

It would be great to see Sam become a star.
they are the only team I try to see at this point, but it helps that over the years I have been a fan from time to time, especially before the Panthers came about.

I almost have no interest in the Panthers at this point. The wheeling and dealing to get Bryce Young was just idiocy IMO, and it seems the direction going forward, is backwards..

Dyami was a helluva lot better in college

If UNC had ever had a decent defense... we'd have 2-3 ACC titles

Last edited:
  • Love
Sam is underrated and I fear Drake might be overrated.
I think that might be the case now, but I think that under the right tutelage DM will also shine. Maybe he'll get drafted in the fifth round. Worked for Sam.

Sam had NFL written all over him when he was here. I don't think it's all his fault that you can't see that writing on Drake

Dang, I forgot how good Dyami and Dazz were. Those two guys were studs. Drake had Downs last year but does not have that caliber receiver this year.

Dang, I forgot how good Dyami and Dazz were. Those two guys were studs. Drake had Downs last year but does not have that caliber receiver this year.
Tez says 'KMA'.

Just kidding. He didn't really say that, as far as I know.

These kinds of throws are throws NFL veterans can't make. He does it all the time.

you mean the way he throws it flat-footed, falling backwards with a defender in his face, or do you mean the way he drops it in with perfect accuracy with a ton of arc?

He doesn't always have someone in his face, but I can't think of anyone who can throw as well flat-footed or who has that kind of arc.

I've never heard of anyone getting worse by sitting a few games and learning.
1st round qb’s need to play…besides experience and organization investment, the guys drafting that position in the first round are making career decisions for themselves.

you get better by playing…it’s not college when you have to gain weight, learn concepts, and stay eligible.

1st round qb’s need to play…besides experience and organization investment, the guys drafting that position in the first round are making career decisions for themselves.

you get better by playing…it’s not college when you have to gain weight, learn concepts, and stay eligible.
I've never heard of anyone getting worse by sitting a few games and learning.

LOL. I'm not sure how you hope to win this one with the best example of doing the opposite being the subject of this discussion. I know Sam was drafted in the fifth round but we all here know he was a first round talent.

LOL. I'm not sure how you hope to win this one with the best example of doing the opposite being the subject of this discussion. I know Sam was drafted in the fifth round but we all here know he was a first round talent.
The fail rate for first round QBs that start from day one is pretty high. I'm guessing had they not been shoved into the mix without learning the game first probably would have helped. But I understand GMs and coaches are more concerned about the fanbase and owners. They just do what they are told instead of what might be best for the team.

The fail rate for first round QBs that start from day one is pretty high. I'm guessing had they not been shoved into the mix without learning the game first probably would have helped. But I understand GMs and coaches are more concerned about the fanbase and owners. They just do what they are told instead of what might be best for the team.
those who have been around awhile might remember the sad saga of Kerry Collins and the Carolina Panthers. There's more to the story but he's a good example of taking a rookie QB and putting the weight of an entire team on his back, with fairly predictable consequences. IMO, he could have been the GOAT if they had just allowed him a little breathing room.

The fail rate for first round QBs that start from day one is pretty high. I'm guessing had they not been shoved into the mix without learning the game first probably would have helped.
This is absolutely true and I am in full agreement. However, the problem is that like all statistics, they can be manipulated if all the other variables are not isolated or accounted for and this one is no different. It's plain and simple that most QB's that get drafted in the first round go to teams that suck. They have problems across the roster and they almost never are constructed such that you plug in a quality QB and they are going deep into the playoffs or even to the super bowl. This aspect of the NFL is something that is actually interesting to me because it's all about resource management since all the teams are subject to the same salary cap rules. Getting really good players on rookie contracts, particularly a first rounder since it gives them a fifth year option is key. With NIL now such a big aspect of constructing a college roster, this ability to manage limited resources is growing in its importance going forward.

Sam with another good day.
My brother and I skype the game together... He is much more invested in Washington winning. All I care about is if Sam performs well. That fumble was the only miscue today... and, it was after a substantial run. Bummer. But, he made some great passes. Dyami even got in on the action! Although, the FGs were hurting, too. And, SLye missed an extra point.

Washington has no defense.

Sam shows a lot more ... emotion... than he did at UNC. When he connects on big plays, he has been showing some jubilation that I don't recall when he was that the Hill

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT