ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Little went off script and free lanced and coach looked the other way. We’ll see if he has the same freedom next game. I hope so. We most likely lose last night if not for little and the effect it had on the other players. We would be sitting at 2-2 in the acc and on the brink of mediocrity. Time to cut him loose and be a leader. God knows nobody else can.

Yeah - the fake injury thing doesn't really happen. However, @Terror Beard does have a point where coaches will drag out an injury.

My nephew badly needed to redshirt this year (he's a freshman that didn't turn 18 til September and he needs another year to develop). Second practice of the year - his foot starts hurting. Turns out, he had a stress fracture and needed 6 weeks recovery and would have been back by now. Did they do that? Hell no, they redshirtted his ass. It happens...but they don't just create a new injury out of no where when a kid is healthy.

But yeah - I'm all for people trolling FTH and his ilk.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Capel's technical was awesome! My lip-reading is pretty good!

He called the refs "muther fukker" at least a half dozen times. A fvckin bullshit call, another Dozen times.

Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree does it?

Well, except the rat can get away with berating refs all game. His minions can’t.
Coincidentally, the very next TO that K took, the camera zoomed-in and showed his face at an angle that allowed the obvious to be "read"... "Okay, Stop Fukkin' Around!"

Right before Jeff got T'ed-up... he had his arm around one ref and was apologetic and was saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry"... then he yelled at the other ref (who called it) and was right back at it- "Man, that was a bullshit fukkin' call!" Then the T! Then... the mutherfukker's started! I dunno if that's typical behavior, but it seemed a little over-the-top to me.

amazes me how gatech can be so average to bad in basketball

i have a feeling little is about to go on one of those frosh runs...never fails in roy’s program that a light comes on and a freshman kid explodes.

Prayers for Leaky! I want him healthy! I think Black will be a really good player at UNC. And, his contribution off the bench has been very good.
Per Roy's pc it is a sprained ankle. Hopefully not too bad.

And yes, I like that kid a lot. He's got some court savvy, and is gonna be one of those Heels we grow to love.

It rolled on the outside which is better than the inside but that’s still probably going to keep him out 2-4 weeks.

I know GT sucks but we look damn good.

@Terror Beard - I'm choosing to have this debate here and not on THR where it would just turn into a shitshow...

I agree with your assessment of our program in the 90s. Ridiculous, RI-DICK-U-LOUS amount of talent and just 1 title.

So...gonna throw this out there...as an in-game coach...was Dean overrated?

He's a great man, recruiter, leader, etc. etc. but man, hard to look at our talent and think we didn't underachieve.

@Terror Beard - I'm choosing to have this debate here and not on THR where it would just turn into a shitshow...

I agree with your assessment of our program in the 90s. Ridiculous, RI-DICK-U-LOUS amount of talent and just 1 title.

So...gonna throw this out there...as an in-game coach...was Dean overrated?

He's a great man, recruiter, leader, etc. etc. but man, hard to look at our talent and think we didn't underachieve.

I think he was unlucky. That might sound like a cop out and even a ridiculous assertion based on the way he won the two titles he won. But I don’t remember him being “out coached” in those games. You could argue Majerus outcoached him in that ‘98 FF. But the others were just unlucky. No one would have thought Calabria goes 1-11 in that FF game against Arkansas in ‘95 or that Shammond Williams would go 1-13 against Zona in ‘97. Those were great shooters having the worst game of their lives. And in ‘94, we had the misfortune of Danya Abrahms and Bill Curley having the games of their lives. Although in ‘94, I think Dean had a hard time managing the new freshman talent with veteran leaders who had just won the title the year before.

But I actually think the opposite. As a game tactician, you could make an argument that Dean was the best there ever was. I think he was a brilliant basketball mind. If there was a flaw in his coaching, I think it’s that Dean wasn’t nearly as “hungry” as other guys. I’m sure he loved winning. But he loved basketball way more than he loved winning. And he loved coaching and teaching young men. In short, Dean was about so much more than winning and I think that might have held him back a little. I think if he had had K’s ego, Dean might have won a dozen championships.

I think he was unlucky. That might sound like a cop out and even a ridiculous assertion based on the way he won the two titles he won. But I don’t remember him being “out coached” in those games. You could argue Majerus outcoached him in that ‘98 FF. But the others were just unlucky. No one would have thought Calabria goes 1-11 in that FF game against Arkansas in ‘95 or that Shammond Williams would go 1-13 against Zona in ‘97. Those were great shooters having the worst game of their lives. And in ‘94, we had the misfortune of Danya Abrahms and Bill Curley having the games of their lives. Although in ‘94, I think Dean had a hard time managing the new freshman talent with veteran leaders who had just won the title the year before.

But I actually think the opposite. As a game tactician, you could make an argument that Dean was the best there ever was. I think he was a brilliant basketball mind. If there was a flaw in his coaching, I think it’s that Dean wasn’t nearly as “hungry” as other guys. I’m sure he loved winning. But he loved basketball way more than he loved winning. And he loved coaching and teaching young men. In short, Dean was about so much more than winning and I think that might have held him back a little. I think if he had had K’s ego, Dean might have won a dozen championships.
This is basically spot on. Dean was extremely well regarded as a great in game coach by basically everyone in the game. It's hard to question that.

Reactions: toophly1124

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT