ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

The days of Roy building up a serious contender every 3-4 years appear to be done. Hope like hell that I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling it might be a long time before we sniff another natty.
We're a football school now anyway.

A lot of things are going on right now. This covid situation has made it difficult for every team. I wouldn't give up on Roy just yet. There's still some magic left, I think. These freshmen are really green. Once the guards "get it", things will get better. I think if Bacot comes back, we'll have a much better team next year. I wanna see how they look once the Curse of the 2017 Class is gone.

wesuckagain.gif
Here's your quick shit for the game...

giphy.gif
#timestamps

roy is his own evaluator, so we have to hope it’s not;

“college basketball now and nobody is elite”
“everyone has one & done”
“i haven’t a daggum clue what’s up”

minus ft shooting, i’ve never seen a team look so opposite of tendencies, not just from a game, but from a pattern of games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
Roy needs to run at least 15 plays a game for Walton. I know he is pretty bad on the defensive end, but he needs at least 10 shots a game. He's our best offensive player by a pretty large amount. And what's up with him and Bacot? I feel like he might have given Wanda the BBC, because it seems like Roy hates him. He should play at least 10 more minutes than he does.

Clemson scoring started and ended in the same manner, with some goofy-looking dudes tomahawking on us. We pretty much just turned it over in between.

The worst game I’ve ever watched unc play. And that says a lot cause we’ve played some shitty asssed games last two years. If it weren’t for Clemson sucking we woulda lost by 50.

The worst game I’ve ever watched unc play. And that says a lot cause we’ve played some shitty asssed games last two years. If it weren’t for Clemson sucking we woulda lost by 50.

Clemson doesn't suck, this is how they beat teams. They make the game ugly as shit, they turn you over, and they collapsed like hell on our bigs. They were also coming off BAD losses so we caught them in a spot where they probably just had their asses chewed out for 3 straight practices.

We played like shit. It happens. Move on.

Roy's usage of Bacot this year has been pretty bad. He's our best big and he's getting 23 minutes a game. He's actually getting less minutes than last year. That makes no sense.
A little Bacot detail that I noticed last night. He has a tattoo on his right shoulder that references a Bible passage. The only problem is... they spelled Philippians wrong. It's spelled PHILIPPINNS on his shoulder. I wonder if anyone has told him? Maybe that's an alternate ancient spelling? That's what I would tell people who tried to point out the error.

He's one of the few consistently good players on the team, despite the glitch.

Roy's usage of Bacot this year has been pretty bad. He's our best big and he's getting 23 minutes a game. He's actually getting less minutes than last year. That makes no sense.

reminds me of jr Reid. Easily our best player at the time but sat for long stretches. Found out later that he stayed in deans doghouse for not running the plays correctly and bad practice habits. Wonder if it’s something like that.

Clemson doesn't suck, this is how they beat teams. They make the game ugly as shit, they turn you over, and they collapsed like hell on our bigs. They were also coming off BAD losses so we caught them in a spot where they probably just had their asses chewed out for 3 straight practices.

We played like shit. It happens. Move on.

Rational poast is rational. It also didn't help that they allowed a lot of contact in the lane. And for as big as Bacot and Sharpe are (Brooks too), their inability to finish at the rim is maddening. It's hard to understand why we don't dunk the ball more often than we do. I've been complaining about this since Tyler Zeller. It's almost like Roy has told them it has a better chance of going in if they don't try to dunk it. It's weird.

If we throttle duke like we should, this game won't mean jack shit. If we lose the game against duke, well, then, we may be in trouble of not making the tournament.

Rational poast is rational. It also didn't help that they allowed a lot of contact in the lane. And for as big as Bacot and Sharpe are (Brooks too), their inability to finish at the rim is maddening. It's hard to understand why we don't dunk the ball more often than we do. I've been complaining about this since Tyler Zeller. It's almost like Roy has told them it has a better chance of going in if they don't try to dunk it. It's weird.

If we throttle duke like we should, this game won't mean jack shit. If we lose the game against duke, well, then, we may be in trouble of not making the tournament.

Sharpe is a freaking monster and no one would even challenge him if he dunked more often. Right now, if he's doing that soft layup shit they just hack him and know he'll miss at least 1 of the 2 FTs.

Yeah man, beat Duke and who cares about this Clemson loss.

Sharpe is a freaking monster and no one would even challenge him if he dunked more often. Right now, if he's doing that soft layup shit they just hack him and know he'll miss at least 1 of the 2 FTs.

Our most difficult shot has been right under, or near, the basket. Sharpe is a horrible free throw shooter. CLANG!!!

I've never understood how free throws are missed at the college level. It's the easiest thing to practice and perfect. These guys have been playing most of their lives. I don't know how that skill is so difficult to master for players.

Obviously beating duke will help ease the frustration of this loss, but we don't want to become moo. We don't want to be a team who's sole goal is to beat a rival. Regardless of how the duke game turns out, there's plenty of issues that need to be fixed. And those issues don't stop with just the players.

I posted the data once before and I don’t remember exactly but it was shocking how bad unc has been shooting ft’s under Roy. We were dead last in acc like half the time. Bottom third nearly all the time. Just two outlier seasons where we were better than 4th. Bizarre.

• Wow
I think some of our fans are being fairly irrational about this season and having ridiculous expectations. There is no underlying issue with Roy and his abilities. There is no massive drop off in recruiting. We've had a string of bad luck that still impacts us today. It started with having to settle with the 2017 class. Then the unexpected departure of Coby. Then a season riddled with injuries on a level I've never seen before (over 100 games missed last year to injury), then having to rely on a freshman backcourt. Not to mention, we're all navigating a pandemic.

Make the tournament this year, contend next year and everything is as it always is in Carolinaland.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I think some of our fans are being fairly irrational about this season and having ridiculous expectations. There is no underlying issue with Roy and his abilities. There is no massive drop off in recruiting. We've had a string of bad luck that still impacts us today. It started with having to settle with the 2017 class. Then the unexpected departure of Coby. Then a season riddled with injuries on a level I've never seen before (over 100 games missed last year to injury), then having to rely on a freshman backcourt. Not to mention, we're all navigating a pandemic.

Make the tournament this year, contend next year and everything is as it always is in Carolinaland.

yepp perfect storm of recruiting misses, oad’s, injuries, and blown assists.

This missed dunk is still one of my all-time favorite VC moments. The Dean Dome would have collapsed had he connected. The game came on recently and I watched it again, having forgotten some of it. When Duke cut it to four with a few minutes left (Maktar had just gotten a technical) Vitale was screaming how it was over for UNC. Right after that it went back to being a blowout.

• Love
According to "very breif stuff" the refs had some kind of effect in a negative way for Carolina tonight. Even though we shot
Where does "plates" fall in all of this?

8,8,9 minutes all wins and our best 3 games.
20 minutes in Clemson game get our asses whipped!

Maybe it's just a coincidence!

Reactions: Grayhead
According to "very breif stuff" the refs had some kind of effect in a negative way for Carolina tonight. Even though we shot

8,8,9 minutes all wins and our best 3 games.
20 minutes in Clemson game get our asses whipped!

Maybe it's just a coincidence!

I haven't looked at it, but wouldn't the more telling stat be how effective those that play in front of Platek were in those games? You could argue that Platek playing more equals us performing worse. But why did he play more? Might it have been because Love, Davis and Ant were less effective in the games where Platek got more PT? In other words, are we losing because Platek played more or are we losing because our starting guards were bad in those games and Platek had to play more?

Our most difficult shot has been right under, or near, the basket. Sharpe is a horrible free throw shooter. CLANG!!!

I've never understood how free throws are missed at the college level. It's the easiest thing to practice and perfect. These guys have been playing most of their lives. I don't know how that skill is so difficult to master for players.
I agree completely on the FT shooting. I was short and slow and couldn't jump and not that strong but with just a bit of practice could get to where I could shoot 70% FTs. Most somewhat athletic people should achieve that. Our high school coach expected players to be at 70+%, and higher than that if you're playing D1 basketball, especially for positions 1-3.

I feel like in the past, most of our 1-3 guys who were good overall, were also good FT shooters. Our good bigs like May and Hansbrough took pride in being good at it and piling up points there too. Sharpe left 5 or more points at the line, in just one game, by himself. Terrible.

As for our guards, in current games, and last year....it just sometimes seems like they couldn't care less if they make the FTs. As if FT points don't count as much. Just hurry to jack up a FT shot, and get on with the up and down of the game where "real" points are scored.

This can be coached out of players easily it seems. Having them focus on taking FTs slowly and with aim and focus. Practice shooting FTs after sprints, when tired, in practice. That's what we did in practice.

And maybe this is too old school, but couldn't there be painful consequences for excessive FT misses and excessive TOs? Like above a certain number, meant running sprints for every one over a certain acceptable number? Would that get guys to take valuing the ball, and making easy FTs - more seriously?

Reactions: strummingram
Roy needs to run at least 15 plays a game for Walton. I know he is pretty bad on the defensive end, but he needs at least 10 shots a game. He's our best offensive player by a pretty large amount. And what's up with him and Bacot? I feel like he might have given Wanda the BBC, because it seems like Roy hates him. He should play at least 10 more minutes than he does.

this is all i think about when i see bacot get subbed for now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT