ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

I think the true test will come with the next few games. I am perfectly satisfied with growth and positive improvements over the course of the season, even in L's. I didnt get to see the game last night, so I have nothing to compare it to outside of the reports I read. I am hoping for an improvement on defence. I can see some of the distrust with Leaky given his past. If it took 4 years to finally fill the proper role, then that is good for this team. THe jury will be out once we hit some of the more difficult teams this year. As for Hubert, I think he has shown improvement over what Roy was able to get out of a team over the past few seasons. I really cant wait to see a team of nothing but his own players. Especially veterans on his squad raised by him. THese kids now seem to respect him, and that is wonderful to see.

Reactions: Heelicious
Overall I'm encouraged by the game last night, but obviously there are concerns. We can't get in a hole like that against better teams, and if we come out flat and sloppy like we did, this upcoming stretch will be brutal. But we adjusted, settled down, played to our strengths, and got a win in a situation that we've struggled mightily with in recent years.

Probably my biggest concern - most of what went wrong last night either was or can be addressed - but what worries me is how we'll manage against teams with legit bigs and/or drivers, especially if Bacot struggles or gets in foul trouble. That stretch in the second half when he went out with his third foul and CoC pulled back within three before he came back in made it really obvious that we're not the same team on either end of the floor when he's not out there. Our other bigs bring some important things to the table and I like most of what I've seen from them so far, but they don't provide a true post presence like Mando.

Last edited:
They might be okay but especially early they have been coming out asleep and having zero defensive intensity.

and way too many sloppy lazy unforced turnovers - where making the smart strong under control play would avoid these turnovers.
playground mentality creeping in?

Overall I'm encouraged by the game last night, but obviously there are concerns. We can't get in a hole like that against better teams, and if we come out flat and sloppy like we did, this upcoming stretch will be brutal. But we adjusted, settled down, played to our strengths, and got a win in a situation that we've struggled mightily with in recent years.

Probably my biggest concern - most of what went wrong last either was or can be addressed - but what worries me is how we'll manage against teams with legit bigs and/or drivers, especially if Bacot struggles or gets in foul trouble. That stretch in the second half when he went out with his third foul and CoC pulled back within three before he came back in made it really obvious that we're not the same team on either end of the floor when he's not out there. Our other bigs bring some important things to the table and I like most of what I've seen from them so far, but they don't provide a true post presence like Mando.

Yeah those are all good points. I think against the high end teams coming up for us we definitely have to establish ourselves earlier rather than later. Can't get into a double digit hole against Purdue or Villanova.

Really liking our guard play, though. Caleb and RJ have the potential to deliver us many wins in crunch time.

C of C is usually pretty good. Seems like they’ve made noise in the tourney in the past iirc. Not sure what they’re supposed to be like this year but hanging 58 on them in the second half on the road is not bad. Although I’ll admit NEEDING to hang 58 on them IS bad.

This UNC team can score points like a boss. Granted, the competition, so far, hasn't been great, but it's good to know that they can.

Given all the newness that we're dealing with, I'm content to enjoy the wins and take it one game at a time. We have a new coaching staff, a lot of new players, so I think it's going to be a work in progress. They got punched and stunned last night, but they came back and won by double digits. Not too shabby.

The better teams ahead will hopefully mature the players and the coaches a lot. With the talent they have, if they all find their groove together, it could be a really great first season for the newness.

Whoever keeps pissing in your insulin needs to stop.

That's a great win last night in a small ass gym with an insane crowd against a team that played like it was their Super Bowl.

People complaining about the defense because we gave up 83 fail to realize this team is like the 3rd highest in possessions and took 77 freaking shots. They want to play that way and we let them knowing they couldn't stop us...and they didn't. We held them to 36% shooting and had 9 blocks. Our 2nd half defense was very good.

If you came into the game thinking you'll beat a good mid major on their own court by 30 then your expectations just suck. Top teams lose those games all the time. We won by 11. Enjoy the win and hold your butt against Purdue because they are awesome
It's pretty clear you're mad and taking this personally since you felt the need to reply with a dsouth post. Calm down, get off the roids and we can revisit in a couple of weeks.

I'd also like to know why the freshman don't get more burn. No reason for them not to play the last couple of minutes. Maybe Hubert is just going to be a guy who plays a short bench.

Reactions: Archer2
Wonder what the spin will be now? Thankfully I missed most of this game. I knew the 1st 3 games exposed them. No D will mean missing the NIT

If Hubert is destined to be a great, he needs to get off the pot and establish something with these guys. Soft speeches won't win games. I wouldn't care if they lost every game as long as they exert effort and fight!!!

We simply have rinse and repeat. We all want them to do well, but today's score was embarrassing 😳

Wonder what the spin will be now? Thankfully I missed most of this game. I knew the 1st 3 games exposed them. No D will mean missing the NIT

If Hubert is destined to be a great, he needs to get off the pot and establish something with these guys. Soft speeches won't win games. I wouldn't care if they lost every game as long as they exert effort and fight!!!

We simply have rinse and repeat. We all want them to do well, but today's score was embarrassing 😳
I've said before that I wouldn't judge Hubert by his results, good or bad, for his first season. Unless he just completely bombs, I think we don't see exactly what he is, until year three. My biggest fear with him is not that he is a horrible coach, but that he's a mediocre coach. Horrible results will get him fired. Mediocre results will get him 2-3 years more than he deserves because he is Roy's pick and a UNC guy.

I've said before that I wouldn't judge Hubert by his results, good or bad, for his first season. Unless he just completely bombs, I think we don't see exactly what he is, until year three. My biggest fear with him is not that he is a horrible coach, but that he's a mediocre coach. Horrible results will get him fired. Mediocre results will get him 2-3 years more than he deserves because he is Roy's pick and a UNC guy.
I don't think it's about judgment really. More like our initial assessment. I think it's defensive issues. It may become confidence next. I didn't catch but the last 5 minutes of the games, and I saw very little fight. Does the fan base as a whole have the patience for 3 years to see what can be done?

Imo they’ve played one bad game so I’m not sure they suck as much as some think. I’m
Old enough to remember the melt down after losing to Santa Clara on our way to a natty. Not saying this team is title material by any means but I’ll give them a pass on this one given the circumstances around it. Now if they come out the same next game then….fire him.

• Haha
I've never seen such a what-have-you-done-lately-for-me fanbase as the one here.
Sucks being a blue blood. Lately has been several bad years by UNC standards. Hubert knew the expectations weren't always realistic when he was hired. He agreed to take the job anyway.

Sucks being a blue blood. Lately has been several bad years by UNC standards. Hubert knew the expectations weren't always realistic when he was hired. He agreed to take the job anyway.

It's been 2 years. Not "several".

But the comment was meant more for your ridiculous assertion that we don't have dominant field hockey team that just lost in their QUEST FOR THEIR 4TH STRAIGHT NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP.

It's been 2 years. Not "several".

But the comment was meant more for your ridiculous assertion that we don't have dominant field hockey team that just lost in their QUEST FOR THEIR 4TH STRAIGHT NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP.
You've been here long enough to know that was said in jest.

e9e2245c7ce49af600a218dea401d93b.jpg

Was good to see Dickie V back on ESPN.

On a side note, the zags are the real deal this year!!!
I watched most of the first half. Wow did the Zags look like a complete team, a well oiled machine even in November, a team on a mission. So many of their players really impressed me, especially their guards....shooting and driving and finishing with a score literally every time I can remember.

And I barely remember one of their players being more than 3 feet from their guy when playing defense in the half court. Like it was instinct / second nature for them to play tough, tight, aggressive defense.

I don't know what the final score was, but Zags were just dominating UCLA on both ends. I just couldn't help but think how far away the Heels look from this Zags team right now. Not in the same league unfortunately.

I think Zags have Duke coming up. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Somebody convince me I didn't make a mistake by getting tickets to the Michigan game.
That depends on which team you want to win. If you're a UNC fan, I don't think you're going to have to worry about any hearing loss from crowd noise... unless a lot of Michigan fans bought tickets, too.

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT