ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

I completely agree. He needs to do something big in 2024 - one of the following:
- win ACC reg season championship
- win ACC tournament championship
- make the Final Four
and I pray the dookies get knocked out quickly in the tournament, but I suspect they'll do the opposite. If they go deep, they'll tend to continue recruiting dominance.

I would assume they will go to the NBA or transfer after their freshman season, so yes to your question.

AbleTerrificAnglerfish-size_restricted.gif

Regarding the 2024 class:

Elliot Cadeau (PG) and Ian Jackson (SG/SF) are OAD players. It has been rumored both are considering reclassifying to the 23 class.

Drake Powell (SG/SF) and James Brown (C) are multi year players and have no intention of reclassifying.

Boogie Fland (CG) and Jarin Stevenson (PF), both 5 stars we’re still recruiting hard, are borderline OAD type players, IMO and Stevenson is said to be open to reclassifying.

I think Ian Jackson is the only OAD guy in 2024. A lot can change til then but right now he's the only guy I see with that profile.

Interesting. I don't really follow HS basketball and recruiting beyond the rankings and having a general idea what our roster would look like.

Obviously the 24 class is loaded. I don't think we're a contender next year unless Hubert goes gangbuster in the portal. But hopefully if some of these younger guys like Jalen and Trimble can develop, we'll have some solid experience when that class gets here.

Would anyone really want to be in HD's shoes right now? I wonder when he last had a stress free day.

I'm sure it's stressful, but not on his bank account. You aren't going to find me having sympathy for how stressful someone's job is when they are making seven figures.
I can see that point. But that questions is he doing it for money, or love of the game?
Being a NC icon, his motivation to play at UNC, the success he had, NBA star, TV, assistant to a HOF coach, and now the 1st minority coach at UNC. Coaching on a landscape that is almost foreign to all he has known with NIL and portals to O&D. Insane fans.

To me he has more riding than the W/L column.

Would anyone really want to be in HD's shoes right now? I wonder when he last had a stress free day.
Yes. I'd be happy to step in. I can take the heat from OOTB. Although, I'd rather be in Mack's Air Jordan's. I know more and would do a much better job at bb over fb, but I think he's got a better buyout and that's what I'm really after.

I can see that point. But that questions is he doing it for money, or love of the game?
Being a NC icon, his motivation to play at UNC, the success he had, NBA star, TV, assistant to a HOF coach, and now the 1st minority coach at UNC. Coaching on a landscape that is almost foreign to all he has known with NIL and portals to O&D. Insane fans.

To me he has more riding than the W/L column.
I'm sure he's doing it more for the love of the game than he is money. He was probably making more when he was on TV. He's still making a lot of money to help him deal with all of those things, though. He knew that before he took the job. He wasn't blindsided with those things. No need to feel bad for someone who is getting paid a lot of money to do the job they knew they would have to do. It would be like feeling sorry for a CEO when he doesn't meet his quarterly projections.

I'm sure he's doing it more for the love of the game than he is money. He was probably making more when he was on TV. He's still making a lot of money to help him deal with all of those things, though. He knew that before he took the job. He wasn't blindsided with those things. No need to feel bad for someone who is getting paid a lot of money to do the job they knew they would have to do. It would be like feeling sorry for a CEO when he doesn't meet his quarterly projections.
The only reason I feel bad for HD in this respect is because it simply means that his team didn't achieve the high levels we all wanted/expected and that next year is far from guaranteed to return to those levels. Say what you want about his abilities and skills as a head coach, but I have said before and continue to feel certain that HD wants that as much as any of us. I believe his biggest source of stress is likely self-imposed.

He had one over achieving and one under achieving season. I expect the next to be right at mehhhh expectations which is 3 or 4 in acc, in and out of top 20, with a 5 or 6 seed in tourney.

The only reason I feel bad for HD in this respect is because it simply means that his team didn't achieve the high levels we all wanted/expected and that next year is far from guaranteed to return to those levels. Say what you want about his abilities and skills as a head coach, but I have said before and continue to feel certain that HD wants that as much as any of us. I believe his biggest source of stress is likely self-imposed.
If Nike doesn't meet it's projections for this quarter will you feel sorry for the CEO? Everything you applies to almost every high level job. Hubert chose to do this. He wasn't forced and he isn't doing it for free. Maybe we just disagree on the meaning of feeling sorry/bad.

He had one over achieving and one under achieving season. I expect the next to be right at mehhhh expectations which is 3 or 4 in acc, in and out of top 20, with a 5 or 6 seed in tourney.
I would agree with most of that. I'm not sure we'll make the tournament next year. He's having issues in other departments, though. He lost a big time recruit last year and there are rumors he's about to lose another. Several players are transferring because they feel like he can't/won't develop them. Then you have the shit show that has surrounded the NIT decision. Year four is going to be big for him.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
To me, it's kinda like a 2 edge sword. No experience. Hire only Carolina alumni. Change the system. Allow obvious bad habits with no accountability (Love)
Makes it hard to feel sorry for him.

On the other hand, great recruiter, younger and adaptable to the new landscape, awesome moral approach. Has a knowledge of the game from many POV.

Now he has to learn to outbid for these kids even after they commit. The very thing that goes against collegiate sports until made legal. It's literally the wild west.

I would agree with most of that. I'm not sure we'll make the tournament next year. He's having issues in other departments, though. He lost a big time recruit last year and there are rumors he's about to lose another. Several players are transferring because they feel like he can't/won't develop them. Then you have the shit show that has surrounded the NIT decision. Year four is going to be big for him.
That's his reality. Either a slow moving train wreck or genius at work. I'll bet the former.

That's his reality. Either a slow moving train wreck or genius at work. I'll bet the former.
Slow moving train wreck would be the worst possible outcome. If he's going to fail, he needs to do it quickly. Being mediocre is harder to get out of because coaches will stick around too long.

Reactions: Grayhead
I'm not sure if year four is going to be anything special, either.

Hubert chose to do this. He wasn't forced and he isn't doing it for free. Maybe we just disagree on the meaning of feeling sorry/bad.
I think you are missing a distinction here that maybe I shouldn't apply, but I'm not in Bubba's job or making this type of decision as Nike's Chairman of the Board about their CEO. I am 100% in agreement with you that big time jobs carry big time responsibilities and, therefore, big time expectations and all that goes with it. In that sense, I do not feel sorry/bad for HD because he's getting exactly what he signed on to do and endure. And, I should add, that I think he is not surprised by any of this and fully expected a large portion of it (truthfully, I think this was Roy's plan all along when he went and pulled HD from ESPN to be an assistant).

Again, I don't have to be the clinical, non-feeling person doing HD's job review every quarter or year end. That being said, he is universally hailed as a fantastic person and a genuinely great guy. Everyone says this. We also know that he is 1000% Carolina and would never intentionally or knowingly do something to harm his school, team, staff or players. Indeed, this may run so deep it can actually be a fault due to the inherent conflicts between those aspects. As such, I can feel bad or sorry for him in the sense that he has struggles in meeting his goals. That is, I can separate the man and feeling bad for him in some respect personally from his position and failures in that regard. This is no different from being able to separate personal feelings about a temporary occupant of the Oval Office from my respect and regard for the position itself. Just because I like HD and think he's a good person doesn't mean I can't rag on and throw things at my tv for his decisions.

I feel bad for Hubert for one reason. He was a great player for us and well liked and received within the Carolina circles by both former players and fans. It will not end well for him and he'll kind of be an outcast like Doh has been since it didn't work out for him. That's a shame.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I keep seeing a lot of people talking about how Davis is a great guy and is really nice. That should have been a red flag that this probably wouldn't work. No successful coach is always a great person, including Dean. Dean was a great human off the court, but he had no problem being a hard ass when it came to coaching. Coaches are supposed to be assholes.

Reactions: bluetoe
I keep seeing a lot of people talking about how Davis is a great guy and is really nice. That should have been a red flag that this probably wouldn't work. No successful coach is always a great person, including Dean. Dean was a great human off the court, but he had no problem being a hard ass when it came to coaching. Coaches are supposed to be assholes.
true facts

lol. You may be on to something. This is yet another reason that it would be great to be a fly on the wall at times.

Puff was never really going to be a meaningful player. Fill his spot with someone else who is healthy and consistent. There's barely anybody on the team that I would miss. The team that played this year sucked.

I'd like to see RJ come back. And, I guess Bacot. I'm still amazed that they ever made it to the final four and the championship game a year ago.

Reactions: gauchoheel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT