ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Love to Michigan. Both teams are in the 2023 Battle 4 Atlantis, so we might see him in a few months.

So I have been thinking. If HD can't field a good team this upcoming year, and had another bad year like this one, would that be the end. Or could he buy another years favor with the class he has slotted for the following year. If those kids reclassify, then he may be safe. I am afraid it's about to get ugly.

So I have been thinking. If HD can't field a good team this upcoming year, and had another bad year like this one, would that be the end. Or could he buy another years favor with the class he has slotted for the following year. If those kids reclassify, then he may be safe. I am afraid it's about to get ugly.
Unless next year is a complete cluster **** (like not even NIT worthy), he'll get a fourth year.

Jae'lyn Withers from UL committed. I guess that's good. UL sucked and this guy was somewhat decent for them.

Jae'lyn Withers from UL committed. I guess that's good. UL sucked and this guy was somewhat decent for them.

6'8" shooter. So that's good. Rumors that a Harrison Ingram commitment is imminent. And there's a lot of smoke behind the Cadeau reclass movement. And duke just lost the commitment of their best 2023 recruit Mgboko (albeit because Flip is staying at duke another year). But rumor has it that Hubert is going hard after him. He played on the same high school team as Sim Wilcher so that's nice.

6'8" shooter. So that's good. Rumors that a Harrison Ingram commitment is imminent. And there's a lot of smoke behind the Cadeau reclass movement. And duke just lost the commitment of their best 2023 recruit Mgboko (albeit because Flip is staying at duke another year). But rumor has it that Hubert is going hard after him. He played on the same high school team as Sim Wilcher so that's nice.
It's hard for me to get excited right now. You mentioned multiple things that have to happen for us to have a good season. What are the chances that all that happens? I just can't get behind the idea that Hubert can get us three quality starters and use them properly. I'm going to treat them like the football team. Assume they won't be good and if they are, expect them to fall apart at some point.

Reactions: strummingram
Just .445% 2-pointer last yr, .417% on threes

Doesn't feel like starter material, but a back-up 4 that can hit threes when needed would be nice. Is he a Puff Johnson replacement?

It's hard for me to get excited right now. You mentioned multiple things that have to happen for us to have a good season. What are the chances that all that happens? I just can't get behind the idea that Hubert can get us three quality starters and use them properly. I'm going to treat them like the football team. Assume they won't be good and if they are, expect them to fall apart at some point.
a good season to me means no repeat of the last one of course, but for now I just want to see us play as a team well enough to compete and make the NCAA and to give a some strong indication that Hubes is the coach we need. The last thing is key.

RCsA.gif

That clusterfvck of last season pretty much killed any optimism I ever had for the Hubert Davis era. I realize it's still too early, and the face of CBB is changing at an all-time rate. It's difficult for ME to explain the '22 run. I'm not ready for him to be replaced... yet.

a good season to me means no repeat of the last one of course, but for now I just want to see us play as a team well enough to compete and make the NCAA and to give a some strong indication that Hubes is the coach we need. The last thing is key.
That's too low of a bar for a blue blood. I don't expect it to happen next year, but top three in the ACC and second weekend in the tournament should be an average season. Anything short of that should be considered a bad year for us.

That's too low of a bar for a blue blood. I don't expect it to happen next year, but top three in the ACC and second weekend in the tournament should be an average season. Anything short of that should be considered a bad year for us.
I don't disagree in general, but surely you can see that the bar has been drastically lowered in this case. For right now, I'm settling for a less than blue blood level bar. I'm just looking to see that a blue blood level bar is attainable again in the near future

I don't disagree in general, but surely you can see that the bar has been drastically lowered in this case. For right now, I'm settling for a less than blue blood level bar. I'm just looking to see that a blue blood level bar is attainable again in the near future
I agree. I've been saying from the start that Hubert should get three years before making a judgement. If there isn't noticable improvement after this year, then at the very least he should be on the hot seat and need to make that second weekend in year four. If there isn't much improvement and/or we miss the tournament next year, I think you can justify firing him.

Reactions: bluetoe
Just .445% 2-pointer last yr, .417% on threes

Doesn't feel like starter material, but a back-up 4 that can hit threes when needed would be nice. Is he a Puff Johnson replacement?

Theoretically, yes, he's a replacement for Puff. But as of right now, he's the only foward on the roster so I reckon he's a starter. Let's hope that changes. He's a nice player but if he's starting, we're not in contending position.

But I cannot say this enough, the Cadeau reclass is what this offseason is about. Regardless of who else we add through the portal or even if we were to steal Mgboko, our ceiling is determined by Cadeau.

Reactions: toophly1124
Since the staff has to be Carolina only, will we ever field a Carolina only team again? Instead of fully relying on kids who leave other teams?(free agents)

Haha. That's a mindbender for those still supporting the "Carolina only" hiring practices.

To answer your question, I highly doubt it. I think we'll be taking at least 1 transfer every year for the foreseeable future. Gone are the days of developing talent over a 3-4 year time period and building a team to a national championship crescendo. I loved the way Roy ran the program but the current environment doesn't allow for that. The portal has enabled kids to bounce at the slightest bit of adversity. We're failing these kids by allowing such and certainly failing the sport in general. But we'll see a revolving door at literally every program now. Kids have all the power and will misuse it. Have to fill those holes with immediate impact type of players rather than relying on guys who were recruited under the premise of being a 3-4 year project.

• Sad
Reactions: Grayhead
Since the staff has to be Carolina only, will we ever field a Carolina only team again? Instead of fully relying on kids who leave other teams?(free agents)

If it wasn't for the one year sit-out rule, and intra conference transfer bans, I'm sure we would have been able to 'rely on' transfers much more than we did. At any rate, it isn't the philosophy but the landscape that has changed, and we better have the ability and common sense to adjust to it.

My wishes aren't for a so-called 'Carolina only' team, and they never have been. Get the best players available that fill positions of need. Cam Johnson says 'Hi'.

I want to be excited about this new ND transfer, but I feel like we're just recruiting over the same spot instead of filling holes. I know we are counting on that recruit to reclassify and play the point, but we don't really have a good option for the four. Unless Hubert is going to play a four guard lineup, I think we still have a big hole.

armando working out on instagram in some gym with n/c logo on the floor and all wood walls, like wood paneled walls…haha is that his crib?…anyone familiar?

I know nothing about Harrison Ingram. I've only recently found out that he's not much of a scoring threat. Okay?

And, regardless of the players, the coaching staff has to use them and get the most out of them.

Well I was excited cause everyone was excited. Now that I’ve checked him out….looks like a quality get. I’m totally unconvinced he makes us an instant title contender as is being posted on radar.

Harrison best case seems like a very, very poor man's dreymond green? Intriguing, but only w a good cast.

The ND guy and the Wojcik seems like the same person - Pearce Landry?

The Louisville guy has potential but not a shoe-in for starting mins... Like maybe Jawad ceiling, but pretty inefficient floor and closer to the floor than ceiling?

Seems bad unless reclassification happens.

Well I was excited cause everyone was excited. Now that I’ve checked him out….looks like a quality get. I’m totally unconvinced he makes us an instant title contender as is being posted on radar.
You would think they might have learned something about unrealistic expectations after this year, but apparently not.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Are we at cautiously optimistic or the sky is still falling?
Seriously, this year is Hubert's test. If he can't field something that resembles a team early on, then "Huston, we have a problem."
Making the tourney well above the bubble should be minimal. I turned off more games than I watched last year. I want to watch all the games this year

Seriously, this year is Hubert's test. If he can't field something that resembles a team early on, then "Huston, we have a problem."
Making the tourney well above the bubble should be minimal. I turned off more games than I watched last year. I want to watch all the games this year
Somewhere between optimistic and falling sky. I think we have upgraded the players, but good players don't matter if they aren't used properly. It looks like Hubert is going to be a good recruiter, but his coaching has be sketchy at best. Can he improve on that this year? That's the biggest question.

i’m cautiously optimistic, mostly because of the class/portal and who stayed.

if hubert will use his bench then i believe that will tell me whether he’s learned anything…i agree, this year is his test.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT