ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

"-Cadeau might not be able to walk on water"

lol, probably not a popular sugggestion but a completely reasonable one.

You can't expect great team play without having players that have played together. The most successful teams are usually those loaded with upperclassmen (from the same school). Just plugging in good players isn't the be all end all. It isn't even a safe bet.

That being said, hopefully this will at worst be a team that starts out slow but then starts hitting on all cylinders toward the end of the season. I won't allow myself to expect more than that.
The hype people are giving him is crazy. Haven't seen anything like this since Barnes.

Reactions: bluetoe
I thought we were a top 15-17 team without EC, I think we're a top 8-10 team with him. He doesn't solve all of the problems but I expect him to have a similar impact that Butter had when he got inserted into the starting lineup, which was a similar jump in how good that team was/became.

HD has said in the past that he wants to play more guys and he wants to run, he just didn't have the guys to do it...so we'll see because he certainly can't hide behind that excuse this season.

If he makes no changes then he shouldn't be the coach here.
I don't really trust anything Davis says regarding his teams. He's proven that he can't really be trusted. And if his plan really is to run, then he's done a pretty bad job constructing a team. Nothing about this team says built to run. It says built to play four out, with a lot of threes.

Also, Marshall had a lot more talent around him, so even if Cadeau is at that level, it might not show up in the W/L because of the players around him and the other issues I mentioned.

I was going to post that maybe he was waiting for the right PG. If the PG doesn't run, it doesn't matter if everyone else does.
and it’s beyond time to press…it was ridiculous to not do that consistently last year.

my concern isn’t offense, it’s just on the defensive end…if you press more, it could create extra possessions.

The hype people are giving him is crazy. Haven't seen anything like this since Barnes.
Good comparison. I think part of the hype is the belief that a pass-first pg is the biggest need (to get more transition, easier buckets, more ball movement). I'd say better shooting is just as important given what Hubert has shown so far.

and it’s beyond time to press…it was ridiculous to not do that consistently last year.

my concern isn’t offense, it’s just on the defensive end…if you press more, it could create extra possessions.
Can't disagree on the idea of pressing, but there's some big buts. If those guys were unwillingly/unable to play average to good regular man to man D, pressing could have been an even bigger disaster. Plus, pressing is extremely tiring to play. No bench or at least no belief in your bench makes it really hard to implement.

Reactions: tarheel0910
2 things:

- @dadika13 and I usually are on the same page with basketball takes but I’m not quite as high on us. Yet. By the end of the season, maybe but I have to see it first. Lack of athleticism and defense are still glaring.
Yeah, I'm now very optimistic, at least from a roster construction standpoint.

We can run out so many lineups and basically a lineup for every situation that we need. I don't see the lack of athleticism at all...Cadeau/Wilcher/Trimble are 3 of the most athletic guards you'll find. Withers is insanely athletic, he's a walking alley oop from Cadeau. If Washington is healthy you'll see a completely different guy than last year coming off the ACL.

Defense I get, at least in the starting backcourt. Cadeau/RJ won't make anyone feel great defensively, but Ryan/Withers/Ingram absolutely do. You also have 2 very very plus defenders in the backcourt off the bench in Wilcher/Trimble.

My biggest pause is can Hubert figure this out and play/trust his guys. Will he insist we run? Will he play 9 guys?

Roy makes a Final Four with this team.

I'm struggling to even remember who we had on the team last year, and who will be newbs this year. It's crazy to see the movement of a team based on 1 guy coming or going

That’s correct. But we do have backcourt issues now. We need to go find someone in the portal. Trimble can’t be the only sub.
Ryan can definitely play SG, but I agree that if someone goes down we'll be super thin.

Kids are ridiculously soft these days...and Wilcher isn't even known as a soft kid. If he's flipping, god help us from the actual entitled ones.

Ryan can definitely play SG, but I agree that if someone goes down we'll be super thin.

Kids are ridiculously soft these days...and Wilcher isn't even known as a soft kid. If he's flipping, god help us from the actual entitled ones.
Eh, it's no different than an adult switching to a new company because they want to move up and/or make more money. Were you soft when you moved to a different company? If they were allowed to make money and transfer without penalty in the 80s, you would have seen the same thing. The issue is you guys see this as a game. These kids see it as a career.

What kind of kid is Wilcher? Because apparently, he showed his ass on social media yesterday. Is that out of character for him or what? If that's the type of kid he is, we may have dodged a bullet.

Eh, it's no different than an adult switching to a new company because they want to move up and/or make more money. If they were allowed to make money and transfer without penalty in the 80s, you would have seen the same thing. The issue is you guys see this as a game. These kids see it as a career.
I've got 2 main issues, one on Sim and one just on CBB right now.

On Sim, it's not like he was going to be buried. He was our 3rd guard with a freshman who thinks he's OAD and a senior in front of him. Sophomore year he was going to get a ton of on ball opportunities. He bailed because he wasn't willing to compete with Trimble for that 3rd guard spot and wait til 2024 to get his 25 min per game, that's a fact. That's lame. To use your analogy, that's like committing to a company, signing an offer letter, then bailing the morning of your first day because you learned that a 60 year old, a guy who is likely bailing soon, and an average employee are in your way for a promotion next year. That's always lame.

On CBB, this shouldn't be allowed. This is a kid who signed a NLI and was due to arrive on campus in 2 weeks yet you have coaches from other schools reaching out and promising him PT and NIL if he bails last minute? This shit needs to get regulated...both from a NIL standpoint and a "don't mess with NLI kids" standpoint.

I feel more strongly about the 2nd one if that means anything. I blame the system 60%, Sim 40%.

Reactions: strummingram
Eh, it's no different than an adult switching to a new company because they want to move up and/or make more money. Were you soft when you moved to a different company? If they were allowed to make money and transfer without penalty in the 80s, you would have seen the same thing. The issue is you guys see this as a game. These kids see it as a career.

I didn't leave Apple for Radio Shack because Apple had too many smart people.

And you're not the first one to make that kind of comparison. To me, it doesn't work. First of all, too many of these guys think they are pros. Where has common sense and humility gone? I don't think Wilcher is an NBA player. Certainly not the type that is a surefire guy. He's the type of player that should have entered college with the idea of being a good college player and creating some memories and if things worked out, maybe he gets a shot at playing professionally. Every kid that can dribble with their left hand and made a mixed tape thinks they're a pro baller these days. I mean, get real.

What kind of kid is Wilcher? Because apparently, he showed his ass on social media yesterday. Is that out of character for him or what? If that's the type of kid he is, we may have dodged a bullet.
I live literally 10 min from him and know people who know his family well...this is super out of character for both Sim and his family.

Then again, maybe this is who they are privately and just good at masking it publicly.

On CBB, this shouldn't be allowed. This is a kid who signed a NLI and was due to arrive on campus in 2 weeks yet you have coaches from other schools reaching out and promising him PT and NIL if he bails last minute? This shit needs to get regulated...both from a NIL standpoint and a "don't mess with NLI kids" standpoint.
I'll skip the first part since I know nothing about him as a recruit or a person and I don't care to know about him. I don't care about any player until they start playing for UNC.

Now, for your point about college sports. I agree that there needs to be some regulations regarding this stuff and I even proposed some before all this stuff started happening, but I wish people like you would admit that this is something that very rarely happens. The vast majority of NCAA athletes are just the same as they were before, except now they can get a new car and Jordans.

I'll skip the first part since I know nothing about him as a recruit or a person and I don't care to know about him. I don't care about any player until they start playing for UNC.

Now, for your point about college sports. I agree that there needs to be some regulations regarding this stuff and I even proposed some before all this stuff started happening, but I wish people like you would admit that this is something that very rarely happens. The vast majority of NCAA athletes are just the same as they were before, except now they can get a new car and Jordans.

Sure, if you're including all NCAA athletes. I agree with that. But if you limit that to "NCAA basketball players" or "NCAA football players", I disagree vehemently. And while the change in the mindset for the typical NCAA football or basketball player was already coming, it has been exasperated by the new rules of NIL and transfer portal.

I didn't leave Apple for Radio Shack because Apple had too many smart people.

And you're not the first one to make that kind of comparison. To me, it doesn't work. First of all, too many of these guys think they are pros. Where has common sense and humility gone? I don't think Wilcher is an NBA player. Certainly not the type that is a surefire guy. He's the type of player that should have entered college with the idea of being a good college player and creating some memories and if things worked out, maybe he gets a shot at playing professionally. Every kid that can dribble with their left hand and made a mixed tape thinks they're a pro baller these days. I mean, get real.
It doesn't matter what you think they are, it matters what they think they are. And college for you must have been the ultimate wet dream. You constantly talk about the opportunity to create memories there as if it can only be done there.

It doesn't matter what you think they are, it matters what they think they are. And college for you must have been the ultimate wet dream. You constantly talk about the opportunity to create memories there as if it can only be done there.

On your first statement, you're right, it doesn't matter what I think. Remember when guidance counselors told you that you could be anything you set your mind to? They lied. It would behoove these kids for people to be real with them.

I don't understand the second part of your poast.

Sure, if you're including all NCAA athletes. I agree with that. But if you limit that to "NCAA basketball players" or "NCAA football players", I disagree vehemently. And while the change in the mindset for the typical NCAA football or basketball player was already coming, it has been exasperated by the new rules of NIL and transfer portal.
So change the rules for everyone because of an
issue with a few people. I think you know the comparison to be made there. Of course you've always said you have no problem being a hypocrite (which, as I've said before, I can respect that).

On your first statement, you're right, it doesn't matter what I think. Remember when guidance counselors told you that you could be anything you set your mind to? They lied. It would behoove these kids for people to be real with them.
I agree. I've mentioned that before. It would be much better if they let some of these kids know they would be better off swinging a hammer than going to college.

I don't understand the second part of your poast
I'm talking about you constantly saying how you can create such great memories at college. That not going to college is a mistake, because of all these memories you'll have and it's just the greatest thing to exist in this world. Great memories can be made anywhere. You don't have to be in school to get drunk and **** some random chick.

I'm talking about you constantly saying how you can create such great memories at college. That not going to college is a mistake, because of all these memories you'll have and it's just the greatest thing to exist in this world. Great memories can be made anywhere. You don't have to be in school to get drunk and **** some random chick.

I think you made that up. I have no recollection of making such grand statements. At best, you're greatly exaggerating my comments of the past to strengthen some point you're trying to make about something I'm not even arguing.

I think you made that up. I have no recollection of making such grand statements. At best, you're greatly exaggerating my comments of the past to strengthen some point you're trying to make about something I'm not even arguing.
You mentioned it multiple times on radar and on here. Not sure why you would deny it, but you do you.

You mentioned it multiple times on radar and on here. Not sure why you would deny it, but you do you.

I don't even know what I'm supposedly denying. Have I alluded to college being a place where teenagers learn valuable lessons and make memories? I'm sure I have. I do indeed believe that. Have I ever mentioned those things can't happen elsewhere? I'd need to see proof of me saying that before I believe I did. Link?

I've posted about Phil Ford making the most athletic, beautiful play I've ever seen, a jump stop dead in front of a defender going fluidly into a 360 degree lay-in. I have never been able to find a video of that exact shot but here is what I'm talking about.

This is why we love Phil Ford...that and because he is just a good guy and as good a Tar Heel as you could ever hope for.

This is why we love Phil Ford...that and because he is just a good guy and as good a Tar Heel as you could ever hope for.
Truer words were never written.
Phil and l were in the same Econ class and often shot the breeze. I head over heels admired his hoops skills,
but the regular guy bulls#it we talked about is what l will always remember.
😉That and the summer night we drank too much at He’s Not Here. 🤫

Reactions: Steat and bluetoe
how about this guy? Try watching this without getting a little lump in your throat.

Unc basketball in its prime as well as acc and ncaa. Those were the glory years. 4 yr players (ftmp). Great coaching. Great teams that developed chemistry. I watched a lot of ball those days. Even teams idgaf about. Dean was at the top of his game. He adjusted his style. He let them play uptempo. He even gave Williams the green light to keep shooting when in the past he would yank someone for “going off”. (See JR Reid) Man those were the days…

Unc basketball in its prime as well as acc and ncaa. Those were the glory years. 4 yr players (ftmp). Great coaching. Great teams that developed chemistry. I watched a lot of ball those days. Even teams idgaf about. Dean was at the top of his game. He adjusted his style. He let them play uptempo. He even gave Williams the green light to keep shooting when in the past he would yank someone for “going off”. (See JR Reid) Man those were the days…
same here. For a long time, if there was an ACC game on, I didn't care who it was I was watching it. The basketball was just better, as good as it gets.

• Love
Reactions: heelmanwilm
same here. For a long time, if there was an ACC game on, I didn't care who it was I was watching it. The basketball was just better, as good as it gets.
With Bobby knight passing I always remember that with all his great teams, three titles, undefeated season, he only had two nba players of note. It was all about the team then and playing with intensity and of you wouldn’t do it then go ride the pine. My biggest complaint with coach Davis is he lets guys get away with the opposi seems to me. Dribbling around for three mins then jacking up a contested three. Dean woulda had a cow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT