ADVERTISEMENT

Stats and stuff (dook game 2)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and as frustrating as fandom is, as we try (usually in vain) to will things to happen, at least tonight I was prescient. Before the game a buddy asked me what I thought the keys were. My answer, "I think we're really gonna need a big game from my dog Joel Berry". Check. Then, when Jefferson picked up his (overdue) 4th foul with 8 minute to go, I said, "Mark my words. They will not foul Jefferson out." Too easy, but check. Finally, with things looking sketchy and our offense out of sorts down the stretch, after saying out loud (ok, yelling) "reverse the dammed ball" for about the 5th time, I said "C'mon JB, time to take over". Dog obliged. Check.

Here we go...
- And yes, I'm gonna start right here: FTs dook-35, UNC-21 YGTBFKM. Thomas Edison couldn't have invented more calls. Fortunately dook actually started missing some FTs down the stretch. Hell, their arms were probably getting tired... that, or they started feeling guilty.

- Speaking of which, we outscored them 74-55 from the field. Again, we beat em by 19 from the field. Chew on that one for a while.

- And speaking of which, we shot 50.7% FGs, and they shot 44.4%. And fortunately we took good advantage of the FT opportunities we got (76.2%)

- By and large we played a much stronger defensive game than we did over there. We mostly ran them off the 3-pt line and forced a lot of (sometimes out of control) drives. Unfortunately it's hard to defend against bail-outs.

- Speaking of forcing drives, dook only had 8 Assists for the entire night. With a few exceptions we were doing a pretty danged good job of sticking with our assignments and forcing them to play one-on-one, and although help was late a few times, we shut down their passing lanes very effectively.

- We had 6 Fast Break and 23 Secondary Break pts.

- We survived some shaky offensive performances. Kennedy had an uncharacteristic fit of stone-hands, Theo looked tentative on every shot, and JJ was geeked up and wasn't even coming close on 3-balls. The good news is KM had some key blocks down the stretch, Theo and JJ made some nice passes, with 7 and 4 Dimes respectively, and Buckets kept attacking the rim. Plus, they all managed to contribute on the defensive end.

- Another thing that I (and I'm sure most of y'all) wished for and received tonight was getting the ball to Hicks --- that, and the fact that he somehow didn't foul out. dook has literally nobody who can guard Hicks (especially not Tatum) and he delivered with a big 21 and 9.

- Speaking of Hicks, congrats on becoming the record 76th Heel to break into the 1000 pt club!

- Major shout-outs to our back-up Bigs! Tony and Luke came up big. They were both 4/5 from the field with 8 pts a piece and some big boards. Luke also delivered a couple of sweet dimes.

- I loved Roy's time-out down the stretch with a 6 pt lead and :17 on the shot-clock. However I didn't love the play. IMO that one should've been an iso for JB, or a flash to Hicks. Go with the hot hands.

- And speaking of JB. Dog wasn't about to let the evil invaders snatch one away tonight. 5/5 from 3, and hell, only one of those 3-balls even drew iron. And he abused Vanilla Whip with a key late pull-up and made some tough runners. Truth be known he probably should have had double the trips to the line, but he was 5/6 on his way to 28 pts.

- Finally, how can college refs let Allen get away with crap like that lame offensive flop on a 3? (by rule that's supposed to be a technical foul, BTW), and it took a damned replay to catch that cheap elbow to BRob's face, and oh yeah, somehow Brandon was the one who got called for a foul there in real time? C'mon man.

Anyway, final score:
UNC - 90
dook+Tim Nestor+Les Jones - 83

Sweet, hard-fought win in front of MJ and a bunch o' big-time recruits! Now let's win another ACC Tourney!

Last edited:
Berry was amazing tonight! He was our difference maker!

All three of those refs should be wrapped up tight in salami and dropped into the swamp with the gators. Effing ridiculous. The Anti UNC Bias has hit an all-time high. And it all comes downhill from that POS Kersey in the main office.

F***in loved that performance. Thanx for the breakdown. I love how Hicks stepped up while JJ was figuring out his offense. One of my favorite wins in a long time.
While I'm thinking about it, I forgot to mention the coaching staff made some interesting adjustments from the first game. Kudos.

The first one was subtle, but effective. We normally come down, even when we're not technically in transition, in our Secondary Break spacing, with the trail Big stopping high to offer a screen or ball reversal. Recently teams have started trying to anticipate that and jump passes, or hard hedge (which should garner more foul calls, but...) Tonight the trail Big passed through into the lane, leaving their defender in no-man's land, which allowed JB the freedom to survey and start the offense at his pleasure.

Second, we made a concerted effort to take advantage of dook's constant switching on the perimeter by recognizing (and sometimes forcing) mismatches that creates. For example we caused Kennard to get stuck on Hicks more than once, and got Jefferson, Giles or Tatum isolated on JB. None of that ended well for the dookies. :cool:

Last edited:
Berry was amazing tonight! He was our difference maker!

All three of those refs should be wrapped up tight in salami and dropped into the swamp with the gators. Effing ridiculous. The Anti UNC Bias has hit an all-time high. And it all comes downhill from that POS Kersey in the main office.

Look I didn't like the a lot of the calls either, but we just beat our biggest rival on a big stage, in front of several highly touted recruits, with MJ in the audience. Can we not do the whole "refs are out to get us" thing?

Second, we made a concerted effort to take advantage of dook's constant switching on the perimeter by recognizing (and sometimes forcing) mismatches that creates. For example we caused Kennard to get stuck on Hicks more than once, and got Jefferson, Giles or Tatum isolated on JB. None of that ended well for the dookies. :cool:

Spoken like a "real" coach.
Good call

Reactions: gary-7
Look I didn't like the a lot of the calls either, but we just beat our biggest rival on a big stage, in front of several highly touted recruits, with MJ in the audience. Can we not do the whole "refs are out to get us" thing?
...or can we not pretend to ignore a bush-league hose job by two of those guys that we won in spite of? And BTW, MJ was giving the zebras the business.

...or can we not pretend to ignore a bush-league hose job by two of those guys that we won in spite of? And BTW, MJ was giving the zebras the business.

Look, as I said before, I certainly didn't agree with every call.

But to suggest there's an "anti-UNC" bias that comes from the top is ridiculous.

Let's appreciate the great win and focus on the next challenge: the ACC Tournament, followed by cutting down the nets in April.

Also, another great part about tonight? Joel got the better of his old AAU teammate. Hit a few shots while trippy mcelbow was guarding him, especially that one that put us up 83-79.

The refs were terrible, not sure how anyone can say otherwise. Even a blind man could see it. If someone wants to state the legitimate fact of the refs being god awful, why does that have to be questioned?
and it's not like it's a nuance. It's consistent, every game, home or away. Other teams get home cooking, we get tripster getting a 4 point play on a phantom foul/real flop or Jefferson getting a layup after taking 4 steps, and then we get doubled up on free throws. Maybe refs are making calls because they know how kersey feels, maybe they have instructions, maybe they just don't like UNC, or maybe they are blind as bats. The end result is the same, ACC officiating in general, and officiating in UNC games in particular has gotten extremely biased and consistently anti UNC. Great games by Hicks and Berry. Maye and Bradley showed up big time.

Thn11, if you possessed half the basketball knowledge that Gary does, more people might take your poasts seriously. The one thing you consistently bring is your crankiness. Just enjoy the win.

BTW, the officiating was atrocious, and we came out on the very short end of the stick. We were fortunate to overcome it. Go to DI if you really want to see griping about the officiating. It's not just a THI topic of conversation.

Been watching UNC vs duke games a long time, I was not expecting the refs to give us a lot so I was not upset. The only call that really bugged me was that fore arm shiver Tripster hit BRob with, no place for that, he should have been tossed for it. BTW, Tatum thru one later in the game and go away with it, 2 of them doing this tells me it is taught and not something that just happens. I didn't love the call on that trey from tripster, thought it was pretty cheap but looked to me like Justin did get him on the hand and tripster sold it.

The talk about the refs IMO detracts from the great game we saw and the great performance we saw from those Tar Heels. Joel, best game he has played since hurting that ankle, you could just see the determination in his eyes from the opening tip, he was going to step up and he was not going to be denied, the warrior came out in him and he was determined to show that on both ends.

Justin struggled with his shot from outside but he did what I want him to do when the long jumpers are not falling, he drove and got really great opps. His shot was off but he stil found a way to care out 15pts and 4 assists to go along with a couple rebounds and zero TOs. Meeks struggled but still came away with 8 & 8. Felt Theo tried top force some things that were not really there but those 7 dimes & 2 steals vs 2 TOs was solid production from our 2 guard spot.

But the story of this game was about 2 fellas, Joel was one but the other was Hicks. Last game in the Dean Dome and Hicks may have saved his best for his last! The kid did work on both ends and he finished the game with a total of 2 fouls! He snagged 9 rebounds, spent a lot of time on Tatum and Tatum was 4-13, not nearly the factor he was in that first game. But Hicks showed one thing, Tatum could not guard him nor could kennard when he tried. Man, I am so glad that missed dunk did not come back to bit us but Hicks sure as heck made up for missin it! 7-9 field goals, 7-8 from the line, 9 rebounds 2 assists against 1 TO! Mr Hicks on senior night made sure everyone knew, he was not going quietly in to that good night!

Over all, different players did different things from that first game to this one but IMO it was 2 very similar games. Each back & forth with lead changes and ties with the difference between the 2 games being in the last 5mins in the first game duke made the game winning plays, this game in the last 5mins we did.

Thn11, if you possessed half the basketball knowledge that Gary does, more people might take your poasts seriously. The one thing you consistently bring is your crankiness. Just enjoy the win.

BTW, the officiating was atrocious, and we came out on the very short end of the stick. We were fortunate to overcome it. Go to DI if you really want to see griping about the officiating. It's not just a THI topic of conversation.

What, its not just UNC fans?

I NEVER watch dook play anymore (except against us), and must say that it never ceases to amaze me at how skilled they are at selling fouls and fooling the refs. That parade to the line was utterly ridiculous.

I don't believe there is some conspiracy out to get us but can't get over how bad the refs were last night. Are they too lazy to really pay attention to the bullshit that dook is selling, or just completely incompetent? Probably a combination of both... pathetic.

All that said - great win for the Heels last night. Now let's go get another 9 W's.

GO HEELS!

Reactions: gary-7

"I don't care about THR really." - carolinablue34 on DI earlier this week.

Get out of here dude...act like you can trash us on a Duke board then have anyone take you seriously over here.

and it's not like it's a nuance. It's consistent, every game, home or away. Other teams get home cooking, we get tripster getting a 4 point play on a phantom foul/real flop or Jefferson getting a layup after taking 4 steps, and then we get doubled up on free throws. Maybe refs are making calls because they know how kersey feels, maybe they have instructions, maybe they just don't like UNC, or maybe they are blind as bats. The end result is the same, ACC officiating in general, and officiating in UNC games in particular has gotten extremely biased and consistently anti UNC. Great games by Hicks and Berry. Maye and Bradley showed up big time.
Well, there it is, gobbler. I don't really get into any of the Kersey influence stuff because, honestly, I don't know what it is (or isn't). What I do know is what I see with these experienced eyes, and that is the unfortunate state of affairs that there are (easliy identifiable) zebras who are pure bad news when they call our games, and you can start with the leader of last night's crew Tim Nestor (who damn near single-handedly cost us the Clemson game, and that's not an overstatement).

In my recap I purposely didn't mention Groover because he seems to be a fairly decent official (and I haven't rewatched but his calls looked solid), but when the other two in the crew are Nestor and that buffoon Les Jones there's not a lot of doubt how that's gonna go for UNC... and that is sad and frankly, unacceptable.

Or beyond last night, take a ref like Mike Eades, who is generally thought of as competent, but (as our friend @mikeirbyusa puts it) is UNC "kryptonite"... or that old crank Jamie Luckie, who seems to take perverse pleasure in tweaking UNC and avoids communicating with Roy like the plague, or worst of all, Michael Stephens who (for whatever his reasons) just has a damned vendetta against us --- one that our coaches are well aware of, BTW.

Again, I don't get into anything beyond my knowledge as to the "why" of the trend, but what I see is painfully obvious, and has been maddeningly consistent of late...

Who cares what the barely disguised trolls on here think! Those with even a basic knowledge of bball can see what happened and confirm what G7 is saying!

I'm enjoying a great win and, since the peeps who are making ignoramuses of themselves are on ignore, I don't have to read their idiocy!

puke sux!

Go Tar Heels!

Reactions: RP12 and Archer2
I agree the officiating sucked last night

As for it being the result of a "from the top down bias against unc by the acc"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

(Snort)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Reactions: tarheel0910
I also don't buy the overarching conspiracy, but there are several refs who seem to call one-sided games against UNC every time they ref.

I think the more pressing concern is how bad the refs seem to be in general this year. Last night I saw phantom and missed calls going both ways that indicate how terrible the officiating was! Hopefully, the awful ones will be weeded out and will not impact March Madness!

What is with adults being so childish when they disagree though? (crying not laughing post to be clear)

Obvious closet Dookie

I thought we were passed the whole 'closet dookie' thing. But apparently not.

"I don't care about THR really." - carolinablue34 on DI earlier this week.

Get out of here dude...act like you can trash us on a Duke board then have anyone take you seriously over here.

Yeah thanks for policing me, obersturmanbannfuhrer. I don't care for some of the people on THR, that's no secret. I explained this way back when, my loyalty is to the Tar Heels, not to the THR message board. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I'm not disputing that there were some really bad calls last night. Not the best officiating in the world. But people on here gripe about the refs EVERY time after a game, even when we win.

Point out there were some bad calls, but you guys are going into conspiracy theories if you think there's a behind the scenes attempt to undermine us by the officials. That's all I was trying to say.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I thought we were passed the whole 'closet dookie' thing. But apparently not.

Yeah thanks for policing me, obersturmanbannfuhrer. I don't care for some of the people on THR, that's no secret. I explained this way back when, my loyalty is to the Tar Heels, not to the THR message board. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I'm not disputing that there were some really bad calls last night. Not the best officiating in the world. But people on here gripe about the refs EVERY time after a game, even when we win.

Point out there were some bad calls, but you guys are going into conspiracy theories if you think there's a behind the scenes attempt to undermine us by the officials. That's all I was trying to say.

Cool story

Did THN11 post on this thread?

I also don't buy the overarching conspiracy, but there are several refs who seem to call one-sided games against UNC every time they ref.

I think the more pressing concern is how bad the refs seem to be in general this year. Last night I saw phantom and missed calls going both ways that indicate how terrible the officiating was! Hopefully, the awful ones will be weeded out and will not impact March Madness!

What is with adults being so childish when they disagree though? (crying not laughing post to be clear)
Yep. And that's one of the issues that confounds me, in that a few of the guys who make it thru the evaluation process are head-scratchers. I still think Final 4 coaches should get one veto. I can guarantee you that would have been Stephens last year if Roy had it.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The dookies train to sell fouls. And they're damn good at it. Who else can elbow a guy in the face but managemto draw a foul by whipping his head back. Then theres the flopping and kicking their legs out shooting 3's. I dont know what or if u can do about it.

I was lucky enough to be in the Dome last night, had a great time! My voice is paying for it today, but it was great. There were definitely some bad calls, but in spite of that, the boys gritted it out to go unbeaten at home and win the ACC by two full games. Joel and Hicks had tremendous games, and we got contributions from everyone who saw the floor. We only got the one triple from Justin but it was a major one. I said at halftime he would hit a big one and he did. Great win, looking forward to the rest of March and hopefully April!

Oh, and just a fun stat, but UNC is 2-0 against Duke when MJ and I are both in the Smith Center

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT