ADVERTISEMENT

Which Transfers Should WE Be Looking At? If Any.

It’s a madhouse. No way to make sense of it all. I don’t know how any coach can sleep at night. Or plan recruiting for next year....
It’s a madhouse. No way to make sense of it all. I don’t know how any coach can sleep at night. Or plan recruiting for next year....
Enough to make a coach want to retire. 😪

Seven of the 10 most recent transactions on 247's portal list are players getting picked up, not new players entering the portal.

If we don't want to miss the transfer boat, we shouldn't dawdle on picking a new head coach.

Which of the more realistic coach options would be best equipped to snag good players from the portal. Stackhouse? Hubert? Wes?

Seven of the 10 most recent transactions on 247's portal list are players getting picked up, not new players entering the portal.

If we don't want to miss the transfer boat, we shouldn't dawdle on picking a new head coach.

Which of the more realistic coach options would be best equipped to snag good players from the portal. Stackhouse? Hubert? Wes?

There are 14 other threads discussing who our next coach should be, let’s add it to this one too. I’m sure whoever we hire is going to get to work in quick order. SMH!

There are 14 other threads discussing who our next coach should be, let’s add it to this one too. I’m sure whoever we hire is going to get to work in quick order. SMH!
Well that was helpful.

Thanks for your tremendous contribution.

Keep up the spectacular work.

There is a chance Kessler comes back now... don't get excited... not close to a done deal
During the interview Hubert had on ESPN yesterday, he mentioned players now wanting to face up to the basket so I could see this being a possibility.

On one hand, having a playing like Kessler back would be great.

On the other hand, he wanted to leave so let him and lets get someone else.

Well, since a lot of fans feel like he was at least partly responsible for Roy retiring, I would say he probably wouldn't be welcomed back by most.

It's more likely he comes back rather than transfer from what I was just told... so a lot of you may have to come to grips with that
Maybe im in the minority but I would be happy with that, lets not forget hes a freaking kid at the end of the day, and maybe he made a mistake and his dad had more of input then he should have.. Lets not pretend we couldn't use him, if he comes back and bacot stays we got some real options

Seriously bro... chill he is a good kid
Seriously.... Hes what 18/19 years old??? Lets not crush the kid we ALL make mistakes. Lets just see how it all plays out. Im sure if he comes back and hes winning us games, no one will even remember this. He can use it as a life lesson. Didint Joel and Brice both want to leave after the first year, yea they didint announce it on instagram but the thought was at least in their head...maybe hes had time to reflect and realize he wants to stay, the fact that its been what, 2 weeks now since he posted it and still hasn't committed anywhere, makes me think hes still torn

Seriously.... Hes what 18/19 years old??? Lets not crush the kid we ALL make mistakes. Lets just see how it all plays out. Im sure if he comes back and hes winning us games, no one will even remember this. He can use it as a life lesson. Didint Joel and Brice both want to leave after the first year, yea they didint announce it on instagram but the thought was at least in their head...maybe hes had time to reflect and realize he wants to stay, the fact that its been what, 2 weeks now since he posted it and still hasn't committed anywhere, makes me think hes still torn
Thank you.

They just asked him about walker, so there has to be some movement like mentioned earlier. Hubert said "I want walker" "kessler is a carolina guy" and hes got a phone call with him today!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Didn't Kessler issue a statement about how much he loves Roy the day Roy announced his retirement? So if Roy isn't the problem, why did he leave? The offense (2 post) Roy ran?

I, for one, would welcome Walker Kessler back in a heartbeat. Its not like he slashed and burned anyone on his way out. If HD is going to run a more modern offense that Kessler thinks he can thrive in, you'd be a fool not to want THE TOP player in the portal in a position we desperately need.

I think the number of people who are so upset that Coach X didn’t get hired that they will pull against Hubert is real small. Real small. I agree it should be zero.
We're talking about Kessler. There's going to be plenty of fans who will be upset at him for his role in Roy's retirement.

Reactions: Heelicious
we need to get any player in the portal that is better than what we have at their respective position. It's been shown that collectively, the players we have aren't of the mix to get us back among the elite. Hubert needs to make some waves in the portal for sure.

We're talking about Kessler. There's going to be plenty of fans who will be upset at him for his role in Roy's retirement.
My bad. I certainly hope not. I would welcome him back. He was my favorite player in that recruiting class. I think he’s going to be very good. Looooove to see him and Bacot start together next year!

Last edited:
we need to get any player in the portal that is better than what we have at their respective position. It's been shown that collectively, the players we have aren't of the mix to get us back among the elite. Hubert needs to make some waves in the portal for sure.
If Kessler transfers, we’ll definitely need some front court players. It will be interesting to see if Leaky keeps his starting spot.

Kessler quit and did it in as public a manner as possible. He couldn't get out of the program fast enough and he made sure everybody knew it. Why would I beg him to return? Why should I not expect him to quit again as soon as he faces a little adversity? Actually the same way I feel about Mack Brown. I expect him to bolt as soon as a bigger stage is offered. Been there done that. Fool me once and all that.
He was my favorite player in that class as well. I've felt that way since I heard him say as a high school freshman that he wanted to be a doctor. I thought that would be the best possible use of the scholarship. Finally a kid with skills who wanted to do something with his life other than making a pile of quick money as an entertainer. I was wrong. obviously. I may be again but it won't be because I continue to do the same thing time after time while expecting a different result.
Do people deserve a second chance? Sure, Walker and Mack included but for me it will require a lot of effort to build back the trust that they squandered.
This is just my opinion and isn't even worth what you are paying for it. lol

Kessler quit and did it in as public a manner as possible. He couldn't get out of the program fast enough and he made sure everybody knew it. Why would I beg him to return? Why should I not expect him to quit again as soon as he faces a little adversity? Actually the same way I feel about Mack Brown. I expect him to bolt as soon as a bigger stage is offered. Been there done that. Fool me once and all that.
He was my favorite player in that class as well. I've felt that way since I heard him say as a high school freshman that he wanted to be a doctor. I thought that would be the best possible use of the scholarship. Finally a kid with skills who wanted to do something with his life other than making a pile of quick money as an entertainer. I was wrong. obviously. I may be again but it won't be because I continue to do the same thing time after time while expecting a different result.
Do people deserve a second chance? Sure, Walker and Mack included but for me it will require a lot of effort to build back the trust that they squandered.
This is just my opinion and isn't even worth what you are paying for it. lol
Respectfully disagree.

Look at things from Kessler's point of view for a second, he averaged what, 8min a game last season? Does any one agree he is a 8min a game guy, I would think most of us, based on the way he played later season see him as a 30min guy, in fact a guy that we could easy see as getting more PT than even Bacot. I saw something out of that kid I did not see from Bacot or Brooks last season, I saw dominant play late season from that kid.

Now pretty sure kessler read the tea leaves, think he expected Sharpe to leave, and suspect he felt Brooks would be back with Bacot. Knowing how Roy feels about his upper classmen that would have him play second fiddle to the 2 more experienced guys and hard not to think he deserves more than that. Combined with the fact that Roy does not want his big men stepping outside for jump shots, which Kessler considers a big part of his game as well as a future NBA asset, you can understand him realizing that Roy is not going to change and his feeling he needed a change from how he was used.

The other aspect I think is important, read comments from some about how Kessler quit on this team. Yet the kid is still taking classes at UNC, so he didn't get away as quick as he could. He made no scorched earth comments with his announcement, said nothing but positive things about Roy and the program, showed nothing but class even if we did not expect nor like his decision. But we have posters talking about how he quit on the program and in tone suggest he should not be allowed back? Well in essence, isn't that what Roy just did? Roy just announced he was leaving for his own reasons, isn't that exactly what kessler did, yet some hate kessler for it and worship Roy?

Kessler is considering coming back, I for one would be estatic if he does just that, I will welcome him with open arms! One thing about kessler and Gonzaga, yes I agree that Gonzaga may have been the program Kessler felt his style of play would better fit, if the Zags as expected end up getting Holmgren, Kessler would see Holmgren step in to the role that he wants to be in and once again become duplication but at UNC Sharpe is gone, looks like Brooks as well, and only Bacot (who is a in the paint guy) is all that is left, maybe the perfect spot for what he wants, especially if Hubert has shared a different vision for how he will be used from last season.

Still can't agree Dave but thanks for the respectful response. I will try to return it as I appreciate and respect your knowledge and opinion.

You know we talk a lot about trying to recruit kids who actually stay in school long enough to learn the system and in that vein let's look at things from a senior's point of view. Garrison Brooks wanted to be a Tar Heel and was pretty emotional when he was pressured to play for his dad's team. Fortunately for UNC he was able to convince his family that Chapel Hill was the place where he could thrive both on and off the court and he and Coach Williams made that come true.

Garrison and the others in his class signed when recruits of any rank were hard to come by and for four years he worked and played his heart out for the name on the front of his jersey. He won accolades while growing up before our eyes. Isn't a story like G's what makes Carolina Basketball special?

Now I call BS on this "Roy doesn't want bigs stepping outside for jump shots". Same BS as "Roy won't play freshman". I think the evidence shows Roy throughout his career played whoever earned the PT and if Walker Kessler or even Walker Miller could hit three pointers at an acceptable level I believe he would be playing them and encouraging them to shoot and to shoot more just like he did with Kerwin. After all surely we can agree Roy hates to lose even more than he hates NC State. Let's remember Luke M. wasn't allowed the privilege until he earned it either. The fact is although WalkerK showed flashes of greatness and promise of a bright future he never earned the starting roll and subsequent PT last season. He had it for a couple games but his play didn't continue at that level and Garrison took the position back. It should have been obvious that next season if he worked hard he would have a chance to meet his individual goals as well as the team's goals which should have been paramount but instead of meeting the challenge and doing the work he "opted out".

Garrison didn't have the senior season any of us wanted for him. Did the preseason expectations get the better of him or did what appears to have been team chemistry issues related to PT affect his play? It's not like Coach didn't address his performance heck he even benched him at one point. But Garrison had earned through 4 long years as a Tar Heel every minute of PT he got in his career. If the time had been reversed and Garrison had been given 8 mpg what would that have said to underclassmen on the team or to recruits who might not be considered O&D but are thinking of Carolina? Go there, stay 3 years, earn recognition for your play, but then be recruited over to sit on the bench and watch your senior season go by? How is that going to encourage potential 3-4 yr recruits? Yes I think Kessler's play did come on late in the season but I can't agree he ever, even in the two games in which he excelled, deserved more PT than all the other bigs especially Bacot who I believe was our best player last season. There is a playing time sweet spot and it's a fine line. Coach Smith suffered the same criticism Sheed's and McGinnis' freshman year when he gave more PT to seniors Kevin Salvadori and Derrick Phelps. He also caught a lot of grief until he moved Tommy LaGarde into a starting roll one year but I can't remember who he replaced. Might have been Ed Stahl?

Maybe It's me. I will admit I don't think money and fame bring happiness and winning isn't nearly as important as some other things one gets from sports. I think setting goals and working like hell to accomplish them in a community of individuals with similar goals (often called a "team") is much more fulfilling. And I admit I appreciate a kid who wants to be of service to his fellow sentient beings a lot more than one more interested in fame and fortune. That's why I appreciated Walker's voiced aspiration to become a doctor instead of a rich entertainer. It would seem he no longer has that aspiration. (Not like he wouldn't get rich as a Doc-lol)

Oh and I'm a Buddhist Dave, so I don't worship anyone, but if I did, Roy Williams would sure be a good candidate. I expect to soon feel the same way about Coach Davis. After all he's the one I really wanted.

Still can't agree Dave but thanks for the respectful response. I will try to return it as I appreciate and respect your knowledge and opinion.

You know we talk a lot about trying to recruit kids who actually stay in school long enough to learn the system and in that vein let's look at things from a senior's point of view. Garrison Brooks wanted to be a Tar Heel and was pretty emotional when he was pressured to play for his dad's team. Fortunately for UNC he was able to convince his family that Chapel Hill was the place where he could thrive both on and off the court and he and Coach Williams made that come true.

Garrison and the others in his class signed when recruits of any rank were hard to come by and for four years he worked and played his heart out for the name on the front of his jersey. He won accolades while growing up before our eyes. Isn't a story like G's what makes Carolina Basketball special?

Now I call BS on this "Roy doesn't want bigs stepping outside for jump shots". Same BS as "Roy won't play freshman". I think the evidence shows Roy throughout his career played whoever earned the PT and if Walker Kessler or even Walker Miller could hit three pointers at an acceptable level I believe he would be playing them and encouraging them to shoot and to shoot more just like he did with Kerwin. After all surely we can agree Roy hates to lose even more than he hates NC State. Let's remember Luke M. wasn't allowed the privilege until he earned it either. The fact is although WalkerK showed flashes of greatness and promise of a bright future he never earned the starting roll and subsequent PT last season. He had it for a couple games but his play didn't continue at that level and Garrison took the position back. It should have been obvious that next season if he worked hard he would have a chance to meet his individual goals as well as the team's goals which should have been paramount but instead of meeting the challenge and doing the work he "opted out".

Garrison didn't have the senior season any of us wanted for him. Did the preseason expectations get the better of him or did what appears to have been team chemistry issues related to PT affect his play? It's not like Coach didn't address his performance heck he even benched him at one point. But Garrison had earned through 4 long years as a Tar Heel every minute of PT he got in his career. If the time had been reversed and Garrison had been given 8 mpg what would that have said to underclassmen on the team or to recruits who might not be considered O&D but are thinking of Carolina? Go there, stay 3 years, earn recognition for your play, but then be recruited over to sit on the bench and watch your senior season go by? How is that going to encourage potential 3-4 yr recruits? Yes I think Kessler's play did come on late in the season but I can't agree he ever, even in the two games in which he excelled, deserved more PT than all the other bigs especially Bacot who I believe was our best player last season. There is a playing time sweet spot and it's a fine line. Coach Smith suffered the same criticism Sheed's and McGinnis' freshman year when he gave more PT to seniors Kevin Salvadori and Derrick Phelps. He also caught a lot of grief until he moved Tommy LaGarde into a starting roll one year but I can't remember who he replaced. Might have been Ed Stahl?

Maybe It's me. I will admit I don't think money and fame bring happiness and winning isn't nearly as important as some other things one gets from sports. I think setting goals and working like hell to accomplish them in a community of individuals with similar goals (often called a "team") is much more fulfilling. And I admit I appreciate a kid who wants to be of service to his fellow sentient beings a lot more than one more interested in fame and fortune. That's why I appreciated Walker's voiced aspiration to become a doctor instead of a rich entertainer. It would seem he no longer has that aspiration. (Not like he wouldn't get rich as a Doc-lol)

Oh and I'm a Buddhist Dave, so I don't worship anyone, but if I did, Roy Williams would sure be a good candidate. I expect to soon feel the same way about Coach Davis. After all he's the one I really wanted.
I really enjoy a discussion, a true discussion with someone when we don't really agree but respect is maintained, so I thank you for that my friend!

Thing about Kessler and it is true for the whole freshman class last season, due to covid they were not able to enjoy anywhere near the experience of typical UNC freshmen. They were basically locked in a bubble all season, so they missed out of being that new heralded freshman around campus, they missed out on running out of that tunnel to 20,000+ adorning fans, it simply wasn't fair but ya know, life isn't always fair now is it.

Now got to disagree on the Roy big man shooting treys, Tyler took very few, he could hit them but took very few and if anyone earned the right to take a trey as a big man it was Tyler. With Roy, if you are a big man and take a trey, you better make it else you wil be treated to a lot of running in your next couple practices, because in Roy's game his big men own the boards, that is hard to do 30' from the basket.

Now I do agree, that nonsense of Roy not playing his freshmen is BS, he does play his frosh, he valued experience and defense, so a freshman had to be much better than his upper classman at the position, freshmen starting and PT with Roy had to be earned and earned more than a upper classman had to because that freshman was always going to be behind when it comes to experience.

But come on man, those late season games Kessler stepped up in, those were some pretty darn fantastic outings, they were dominating, not just good. Kessler did not earn the PT early season, covid protocals and knee pain did stunt that early on but what that kid did late season, was really special stuff, would have been special had he been a senior but to do that as a freshman, amazing.

I really enjoy a discussion, a true discussion with someone when we don't really agree but respect is maintained, so I thank you for that my friend!

Thing about Kessler and it is true for the whole freshman class last season, due to covid they were not able to enjoy anywhere near the experience of typical UNC freshmen. They were basically locked in a bubble all season, so they missed out of being that new heralded freshman around campus, they missed out on running out of that tunnel to 20,000+ adorning fans, it simply wasn't fair but ya know, life isn't always fair now is it.

Now got to disagree on the Roy big man shooting treys, Tyler took very few, he could hit them but took very few and if anyone earned the right to take a trey as a big man it was Tyler. With Roy, if you are a big man and take a trey, you better make it else you wil be treated to a lot of running in your next couple practices, because in Roy's game his big men own the boards, that is hard to do 30' from the basket.

Now I do agree, that nonsense of Roy not playing his freshmen is BS, he does play his frosh, he valued experience and defense, so a freshman had to be much better than his upper classman at the position, freshmen starting and PT with Roy had to be earned and earned more than a upper classman had to because that freshman was always going to be behind when it comes to experience.

But come on man, those late season games Kessler stepped up in, those were some pretty darn fantastic outings, they were dominating, not just good. Kessler did not earn the PT early season, covid protocals and knee pain did stunt that early on but what that kid did late season, was really special stuff, would have been special had he been a senior but to do that as a freshman, amazing.
And do recall when he verbalized THAT was exactly his reasoning. after campus and Franklin street.

‘If no sports, I could really see myself as a student here!’

With emotion

Reactions: Archer2
... Actually the same way I feel about Mack Brown. I expect him to bolt as soon as a bigger stage is offered. Been there done that. Fool me once and all that.
Don't see that with Mack. He has already done the bigger stage where football was king. He loves UNC (and more importantly so does his wife) and is at the age where his next step is likely a spot in athletic admin speaking to boosters and getting them to write checks. I am up in the air on Kessler. I agree he quit but no idea how much is him and how much is others in his ear. If he wants to be a stretch 4 he has to show consistency from outside, until he improves that part of his game he needs to contribute with the tools he has. Was he the 4th best big, I don't think so but covid cost him more practice time than the others.

I think it's also tough to blame a kid this season because he didn't get to experience everything that comes along with being a UNC basketball player.

The fans
The campus atmosphere when you're walking around and people fawn over you
The parties where you're treated as a VIP
The summer workouts with all the UNC family

These are the things that separate UNC from 99.9% of programs. If you don't get that, it's tough to judge a player for leaving UNC because he was never really at THAT UNC.

(plus, this was mostly driven by his father but I think it normal circumstances he vetos Dad)

Kessler didn't "quit" he put his name in the portal. Bacot isn't quitting, he is testing the waters in the NBA. Both could leave and both could return! The difference is minimal this year. Kessler proved he could play at this level and could grow into something special, but did not show consistency in his D, effort, Offensive knowledge and shooting! Offseason + changing coaching philosophy + changing roster fixes all of his issues here! I would welcome him back with open arms, especially since he is still currently a Tar Heel!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT