ADVERTISEMENT

Garrison Brooks...

The deal with Joel is not real complicated, he wants to go and if he is told a team is looking at him for their 1st round pick he will and should take it. Problem is he is not a 1st round pick. Most would say he would have to have a great showing at the combine to be assured of even being a 2nd round pick.

The question is does he take a 2nd round spot, answer is it depends on what teams tell him at the combine that they would rather he come back and work on aspects of his game as they did Justin with the potential to become a 1st rounder in the following draft? If he does not get as clear a answer then maybe he takes being a 2nd rounder or going undrafted and try to hook on with a team.

I would like to see him try the Frank Mason route, come back as a senior and be a pre-season candidate for NCAA POY. That got Mason in to the first round or at least should

Tony, should go to the combine and see what he is told, I strongly see him coming back, kid has so much that needs a lot of working and developent.

Problem is - being a NPOY candidate didn't get Frank Mason in the first round. There isn't a single NBA mock draft site that has Frank Mason going in the first round. Matter of fact, I don't think I've seen one that has him listed going top 50 (but somebody might I just haven't seen it).

I do think Berry needs to return because I don't see any scenario where he gets drafted in the first round this year. (Plus, I selfishly would like him to return because he's my favorite player, he's incredible, and UNC is head and shoulders better with him on the court).

Reactions: RP12
I say any 2 of the four puts us in the race.

Not a chance in hell we make the final four if Bradley and Berry both leave. You said any 2 of the 4 meaning
1. Berry returns
2. Bradley returns
3. Knox commits
4. Brooks commits

correct? If any 2 of the 4 means we land Knox and Brooks, but Berry and Bradley leave, we're not returning to the Final Four for the 3rd straight year. I love optimism as much as the next guy, but to think we're making a final four run NEXT SEASON with Luke Maye, Huffman, Manley, and Brooks as our four bigs with Seventh Woods running the point is a pipe dream.

I'm a little confused. Has Berry even put his name into the draft? I don't see him listed anywhere. Only 3 days left to do so.

Personally, I think he should put his name in - but with the intention of returning after he learns what he needs to work on. That risks him being encouraged to stay in, but I think that experience is probably a good idea.

I also think Theo should put his name in, just to get that evaluation. He obviously needs to come back to prove a number of things - durability being top of the list. But, again, the experience seems valuable from where I'm sitting.

But anyway, that's my question: Is Berry in the draft, or planning to be?

Berry and Bradley have not "officially" done anything. UNC will send out a press release just like when Justin did IF they do.

Reactions: Sk1310
Not a chance in hell we make the final four if Bradley and Berry both leave. You said any 2 of the 4 meaning
1. Berry returns
2. Bradley returns
3. Knox commits
4. Brooks commits

correct? If any 2 of the 4 means we land Knox and Brooks, but Berry and Bradley leave, we're not returning to the Final Four for the 3rd straight year. I love optimism as much as the next guy, but to think we're making a final four run NEXT SEASON with Luke Maye, Huffman, Manley, and Brooks as our four bigs with Seventh Woods running the point is a pipe dream.
Brutal, but sounds about right.

I was just listening to a podcast on another site. They are even less sanguine about our chances next year. They think it unlikely that both Bradley and Berry return for next season. Probably one of them, but possibly neither.

They also seemed to be saying that unless both return, the NIT might be the best we can hope for next season - even if we get Knox. Which, reading between the lines, suggests that we might not even play in the post-season if we don't land Knox.

[After looking at the losses sustained by some other top teams, I think we have a better chance than that; but it's still a sobering assessment.]

Without Bradley and even with Knox, they were pretty depressing on our front line. Brooks looks like a PF to me, but they didn't think so. So basically they were saying we could end up with Luke at PF and 3 centers, some of whom won't be ready.

They also seemed to think that Knox is being a bit over-hyped. Not that he isn't good, but that he shouldn't be a OAD, because he probably won't hit full stride until year 2 - but probably won't be around to help the team in year 2.

Of course those are just their opinions, but at least they have scouted these guys.

He was asked by a reporter just mins after winning the title and he said something about it. I'm just reporting that Steve Kirshner who is UNC's hoops SID told @andrew jones that it isn't official until UNC sends out a release.

Until I hear anything from UNC, it's not legit.

He was asked by a reporter just mins after winning the title and he said something about it. I'm just reporting that Steve Kirshner who is UNC's hoops SID told @andrew jones that it isn't official until UNC sends out a release.

Until I hear anything from UNC, it's not legit.
Would they have put out a release if Tony had submitted the paperwork?

I have a hard time thinking that JB would wait until this late in the game to test the waters. Roy gives these boys the best NBA info of pretty much any coach in the country, meaning the most honest assessment. He calls around for them, talks to scouts for them, and does right by them.

I imagine he's telling JB come back, be a 1st team AA and go to a third straight final four going down as one of the most proven winners in the history of the game, and that stock looks a lot higher.

I imagine he's telling TB that he's an NBA pick right now, but he's a lottery pick next year and he understands either way.

He's pragmatic about these things. We just gotta let it play out. It's 72 hours.

giphy.gif

Reactions: tarheel0910

I was just listening to a podcast on another site. They are even less sanguine about our chances next year. They think it unlikely that both Bradley and Berry return for next season. Probably one of them, but possibly neither.

They also seemed to be saying that unless both return, the NIT might be the best we can hope for next season - even if we get Knox. Which, reading between the lines, suggests that we might not even play in the post-season if we don't land Knox.

[After looking at the losses sustained by some other top teams, I think we have a better chance than that; but it's still a sobering assessment.]

Without Bradley and even with Knox, they were pretty depressing on our front line. Brooks looks like a PF to me, but they didn't think so. So basically they were saying we could end up with Luke at PF and 3 centers, some of whom won't be ready.

They also seemed to think that Knox is being a bit over-hyped. Not that he isn't good, but that he shouldn't be a OAD, because he probably won't hit full stride until year 2 - but probably won't be around to help the team in year 2.

Of course those are just their opinions, but at least they have scouted these guys.
Listened to the podcast as well. Thought the part about Brooks was interesting, though I am not sure it was the opinion of both analysts that Brooks might not be a PF. You have to figure Roy and the staff believe that Brooks can play PF since I dont think they would take 3 centers in the same class.

Last edited:
Problem is - being a NPOY candidate didn't get Frank Mason in the first round. There isn't a single NBA mock draft site that has Frank Mason going in the first round. Matter of fact, I don't think I've seen one that has him listed going top 50 (but somebody might I just haven't seen it).

I do think Berry needs to return because I don't see any scenario where he gets drafted in the first round this year. (Plus, I selfishly would like him to return because he's my favorite player, he's incredible, and UNC is head and shoulders better with him on the court).
...and that was Mason's misfortune to be stuck as a senior in this PG-loaded draft. JB has the option of skipping this one.

Listened to the podcast as well. Thought the part about Brooks was interesting, though I am not sure it was the opinion of both analysts that Brooks might not be a PF. You have to figure Roy and the staff believe that Brooks can play PF since I dont think they would take 3 centers in the same class.
Brooks is a prototype Roy 4, and especially if we miss on Knox, could be a very valuable addition to this class.

Reactions: Archer2
You're right, that did seem to be the opinion of just one of them (although the other didn't object).

All I know is what I've seen in the clips. Looks like a PF to me. And if not, could probably adapt pretty easily.

So I would see Brooks coming off he bench for Luke, while Huff and Manley spell Tony.

But if Tony is gone, then what's the likely rotation? Even if we land Brooks, it's hard to see 80 minutes of ACC-caliber play from those guys.

You're right, that did seem to be the opinion of just one of them (although the other didn't object).

All I know is what I've seen in the clips. Looks like a PF to me. And if not, could probably adapt pretty easily.

So I would see Brooks coming off he bench for Luke, while Huff and Manley spell Tony.

But if Tony is gone, then what's the likely rotation? Even if we land Brooks, it's hard to see 80 minutes of ACC-caliber play from those guys.
Yeah I listened to the part about Brooks again and you are correct that the other analyst did not really object. I can understand the trepidation if Brooks can defend the 4 spot with the amount of teams that play 4 out and 1 in, the PF really has to able to defend players on the perimeter.

Well chances are the analysts are correct and at least one of the three is not going to be capable of playing significant minutes as a freshman (and Brooks is not committed yet but you have to think Bradley leaving increases the likelihood of Brooks committing), so who knows what will happen if Bradley does leave.

Last edited:
Berry and Bradley have not "officially" done anything. UNC will send out a press release just like when Justin did IF they do.
With all the rampant speculation going around, it's nice to hear from someone who is in the know. Thanks Deana.

As for speculation, I have zero inside sources, here's mine. I think Tony and Joel both come back and I think Brooks will be the final piece to a very good recruiting class. Still feel Knox is bound elsewhere. If it isn't Chapel Hill, I hope it's Columbia, MO.

With all the rampant speculation going around, it's nice to hear from someone who is in the know. Thanks Deana.

As for speculation, I have zero inside sources, here's mine. I think Tony and Joel both come back and I think Brooks will be the final piece to a very good recruiting class. Still feel Knox is bound elsewhere. If it isn't Chapel Hill, I hope it's Columbia, MO.
Me too... and I hope Cuonzo joins Snyder and Heath and becomes the lastest in the rogues gallery of mizzou coaches to land them on probation.

Yep, can't help but feel there's something shady going on in Columbia.
Well... just sayin' the rumors from Berkely have followed eastward. But hell, the one guy (Anderson) who seemed to be clean got his ass handed to him and got fired, so...

1. Berry returns
2. Bradley returns
3. Knox commits
4. Brooks commits

Hopefully, we don't even need to find out but isn't it time to realize Felton is one whale of a talent and Roy will work his butt off to get back there once again?

Reactions: Archer2 and RP12

Podcast featuring whom? I am not a gambling man but will be shocked if we don't make the NCAA Tourney regardless of who leaves and who does or doesn't come. We've got Roy Daggum Williams, as Good a Man as Any!

Would they have put out a release if Tony had submitted the paperwork?

Only Justin Jackson has submitted his name for the draft so far. Whatever sites you are looking at are incorrect. Tony may go ahead and do it, same with Joel, but as of 10:30 Thursday night, April 20, neither has done so.

They are going by a report after the title game. Tony was asked by a member of the media in the locker room if he was going to test the waters, he said he probably was. The writer reported it and it was assumed he did, but he has not.

And, for the record, the locker room after a national title game is packed with media, almost none of them are media the players know, unlike the few of us who are at pretty much every game they play regardless of where they play. There are TV cameras and TV guys from other cities and nationally who ask questions, lots of tape recorders, so it can be overwhelming for young players.

If any other UNC player submits his name, UNC will send out a release that we will post immediately in the site.

I would be surprised if both don't submit and a little surprised if Bradley doesn't eventually go. Berry is probably never going to be a first round pick so it is just whether he wants to go against this group of draftees or think it is worth the wait until next year. Regardless, I think the backcourt will be fun to watch regardless next year. I think Woods and Robinson make good jumps, Pinson and Williams will be good, and Felton will be streaky but pretty great at times. The frontcourt could be a bit of a wreck at times but that's ok. After a title watching some young guys grow will be alright. Plus, maybe Roy will get interesting with his lineups and go small more.

Mason made the best case he could, being the NPOY is not disputable in making YOUR CASE AS STRONG AS POSSIBLE TO BE A FIRST ROUNDER. Mason just happens to be in a draft as a senior that is big time loaded with PGs. Would you like to argue me that in a draft not so loaded with PGs that maybe the NPOY and a PG may have a much better chance than in this up coming draft?

Reactions: gary-7
Not just the fact it is loaded with PGs, but the fact so many of them are over 6' and quick!

Felton is going to be a stud. His weakness a year ago was shooting, well from recent video he looks to have improved a lot in that area. He even won the 3 pt contest in the innagural Iverson invitational last night.
Loved seeing him win the 3-pt contest, and his shot looked silky smooth. I think he'll play well right out of the gate, and I don't say that about many freshmen.

Mason made the best case he could, being the NPOY is not disputable in making YOUR CASE AS STRONG AS POSSIBLE TO BE A FIRST ROUNDER. Mason just happens to be in a draft as a senior that is big time loaded with PGs. Would you like to argue me that in a draft not so loaded with PGs that maybe the NPOY and a PG may have a much better chance than in this up coming draft?
Exactly! And Joel has the option of waiting another year, having a great senior campaign, and having a much better chance of getting drafted. No brainer to me.

Podcast featuring whom? I am not a gambling man but will be shocked if we don't make the NCAA Tourney regardless of who leaves and who does or doesn't come. We've got Roy Daggum Williams, as Good a Man as Any!
I agree. And he has surely dispelled some of the criticisms by doing well with less loaded teams.

That said, if Bradley and Berry both leave and we don't add Knox or a good grad or something, Roy will have his work cut out for him. Not only will we lack the top talent, but we won't be solid up front - which is sort of a requirement for Roy's system.

The comparison that comes to mind is 2013 when our only effective big was McAdoo. Roy finally went small and that worked pretty well down the stretch until we ran into bigger, senior-laden teams. At the end, we basically played 6 guys

Marcus
Dexter
Reggie
PJ
JMM
Leslie

One of the things that helped that team do better than expected was that we had good outside shooting from several players.

Reggie .436
PJ .396
Marcus .344 (but .444 over the final 12 games)
Leslie .359

All those guys were deadly from the FT line, too.

IF Tony and Joel leave, and that's a big if IMO, I think Roy will put the ball in Jalek's capable hands from day one. It's why I think Brooks is an even more key recruit than Knox. My starting five if Tony and Joel leave and we sign Brooks:

Jalek
Kenny
Theo
Luke
Garrison(Brandon if Garrison goes elsewhere)

I think that lineup would give us enough perimeter shooting with Kenny/Jalek/Luke to keep defenses honest. And with this bench:

Seventh
Andrew
Brandon
Brandon(if we get Knox)
Sterling

...we can compete for the ACC title. We wouldn't be a dominant team but we would have a very good backcourt(yes I'm expecting Jalek to be very good right away), and good teams start with a good guard play. And I expect Theo to have a great season at SF, his natural position. Now if Tony and Joel both return, think how good we could be.

Joel(backed up by Jalek)
Kenny(backed up by SeventhPlatek)
Theo(backed up by Brandon)
Luke(backed up by Garrison/Huffman)
Tony(backed up by Huffman/Sterling)

That's a stout team.

Last edited:
Not just the fact it is loaded with PGs, but the fact so many of them are over 6' and quick!
True. But after the lottery picks - where 5 or 6 PGs may be selected - there may not be that many PGs left in the draft. Only 2 senior PGs listed in the mocks, so it depends on who else stays in.

So Berry might do OK. Depends on whether there are any teams with lower picks who really want a PG.

Teams that desperately need a starting PG will probably trade to get one of the top picks. But any team looking for a solid backup PG could be very happy with Joel.

If Joel tests the waters, I can easily imagine that a couple of teams with 2nd round picks will express interest. Maybe even guarantee to draft him if he's still on the table. So then the question becomes whether Joel sees those teams as good places for him. If so, that might tip the decision to go in this draft rather than waiting.

I agree. And he has surely dispelled some of the criticisms by doing well with less loaded teams.

That said, if Bradley and Berry both leave and we don't add Knox or a good grad or something, Roy will have his work cut out for him. Not only will we lack the top talent, but we won't be solid up front - which is sort of a requirement for Roy's system.

The comparison that comes to mind is 2013 when our only effective big was McAdoo. Roy finally went small and that worked pretty well down the stretch until we ran into bigger, senior-laden teams. At the end, we basically played 6 guys

Marcus
Dexter
Reggie
PJ
JMM
Leslie

One of the things that helped that team do better than expected was that we had good outside shooting from several players.

Reggie .436
PJ .396
Marcus .344 (but .444 over the final 12 games)
Leslie .359

All those guys were deadly from the FT line, too.

That team also had 6 McDonald's aa. Hairston bullock and mcadoo were all top 15 guys. If berry and Bradley go and no knox, I think it will be by far roys least talented team with also with very little experience. Would be rough.

Reactions: gauchoheel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT